So, I'm a car pleb really. I've been driving a 2003 Sport Trac for about 11 years now or around there.

So, I'm a car pleb really. I've been driving a 2003 Sport Trac for about 11 years now or around there. It still drives fine, so regardless I'll probably actually end up using it for a while longer and I can if I really want, but it's annoyances are starting to become "not worth it", aesthetically and mechanically.

So I'm really looking at three options and I've been considering this for a while but since in no rush have all the time I need while my truck now still serves me.

I would like to know if any of these options are down right fricking moronic and if so why? because out of them all, they obviously have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have 15 grand I can use towards a new vehicle. Maybe even trade in this beat up thing and hope if covers taxes or some shit if I don't just sell if for like 1k at some point before I get the other one.

Here are the options.

1)Just straight up buy a used pickup (used to them now) for that money even though it'd be like 8-10 years old or around there and around 125k mile mark.

2) Buy a brand new truck (have my eye on Chevy Colorado) and just put that money into it and be left with a decent monthly payment plan.

3)Stop looking at pickups and get a better SUV for that price. Thing is it's a bit feminine, I really don't mind that but still not sure about this option.

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>won't spend the time money or basic effort to keep up with maintenance for a glorified Ford ranger
    >But I'll blow 15k and/or sign up for payments

Unironically buy used, and stay poor.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Thanks man, I am still leaning towards buying used. I suppose my initial instincts were right.

>1)
      Ok, get a pre 2011 Ford Ranger. Take care of it. It takes care of you. Kind of hard to find one with under 150k miles though
      >2)
      New...Colorado...frick that. If you're going to dish out that kind of money just get a late 2nd gen Tacoma or early 3rd gen.
      >3)
      Good old 4runner isn't feminine at all (well it's the LEAST girly...) and I don't trust Chevy or Ford so...yea.

Thanks for suggesting the Ford Rangers, I am definitely considering them because their style is similar to a Colorado, but prices seem to around the same. I'll see what the availability has to say. The ones I see are nice though.

Yeah, as I did the brand new build on the websites, I am reminded that the price is just fricked up and mainly because in my case I'm blowing money on full coverage. I don't like that for any car which is why I'm trying to stay as low as possible even if it's old/higher mileage or worst case scenario I put the 15k down and left with like 10k to pay but I still don't like the idea of full coverage while I do that.

If it was 5k, I had to may maybe I'd consider it because I know I could pay it off relatively soon.

I like the the 4 runners I see. Thanks for the suggestion and you're right.

Do you happen to know what the mileage is on those?

One of the main reasons I'd consider an SUV is for the fuel efficiency since I don't really tow anything and I don't like the idea of getting a gas guzzler, otherwise I'd just stick with a pick up probably and I don't want something that uses anything close to like a Suburban or something like that.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

4runners fuel efficiency is about the same as Toyota's pick up trucks and high mileage (150k) is nothing to them. Highlander does better on fuel and I know I guy that's got an 07 with over 400k miles on it.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Chevrolet makes a better truck than Toyota.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Listen man. My 1st truck was a gen 1 Colorado. Frame rotted like a motherfricker on that thing between the body and the bed. Plus, Chevy stops making parts for vehicles after 5-10 years. Or they keep trying to change shit so much that you can't even get parts for the damn thing anymore. I don't have that problem with Toyota. Plus any of the common problems with a Toyota are EXTREMELY EASY to fix and cheap when compared to Chevy.

I love the look and feel of GM/Chevy but I need something dependable. Hell, I work at an auto parts warehouse and we stock what sells the most. You know what sells the most when it comes to trucks? Chevy radiators and cat converters. You know what I RARELY see? Tacoma parts being sold.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

You know a Toyota OEM front axle is like $400 right? If Toyotas were actually used as work trucks you would be selling a lot more parts for them.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I got contractors and businesses in my state that buy them up and use them all the time. The franchise I'm a part of has one at EVERY warehouse as a company vehicle. All high mileage and still kicking. If you're talking about "towing" as work than of course not. Get Ford.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Not sure what planet you live on but GM trucks and vans have the most aftermarket support. Also they make shit for ever, they had the 6.0 in production for 20 years basically unchanged, and the 5.3 is still in use all though updated.
            They are also easier to work on than any other 20 year old or newer vehicle.
            The 2004-2012 colorado just happened to be the shittiest truck they made, with a frame designed to rot and a one-off dumb 5 cyl engine

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>The 2004-2012 colorado just happened to be the shittiest truck they made, with a frame designed to rot and a one-off dumb 5 cyl engine

Hit the nail on the head. For me. 5 cyl with rotted frame. After that I didn't bother anymore.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Hey what about the 2016's and newer on the Colorado's? Are they still shit?

I'm thinking that's a safe year for any vehicle and the oldest I'd consider at this point.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

The fact that you have to go aftermarket for a lot of shit is another reason I dropped GM/Chevy.

Not sure what planet you live on but GM trucks and vans have the most aftermarket support. Also they make shit for ever, they had the 6.0 in production for 20 years basically unchanged, and the 5.3 is still in use all though updated.
            They are also easier to work on than any other 20 year old or newer vehicle.
            The 2004-2012 colorado just happened to be the shittiest truck they made, with a frame designed to rot and a one-off dumb 5 cyl engine

>GM trucks and vans have the most aftermarket support
            And it's utter shit. The amount of cats that get warrantied from Silverado's is nuts. Meanwhile I can still get OEM shit for Toyota for shit that's over 20 years old. I'm no fan boy for anyone but I give credit where credit is due.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>1)
    Ok, get a pre 2011 Ford Ranger. Take care of it. It takes care of you. Kind of hard to find one with under 150k miles though
    >2)
    New...Colorado...frick that. If you're going to dish out that kind of money just get a late 2nd gen Tacoma or early 3rd gen.
    >3)
    Good old 4runner isn't feminine at all (well it's the LEAST girly...) and I don't trust Chevy or Ford so...yea.

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

if you are looking for a new midsize truck check out the nissan frontier. has a good v6 and no turbo

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

You could buy a newer used truck for like 25k, something like a 3 year old Ranger or Colorado, and have a way smaller payment than buying brand new. I have a '20 Ranger that I bought used in '22 and it's been great.

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

4) 302 swap

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>1) Just straight up buy a used pickup

No, generally you want to stick with the shitbox you have. Buying someone else's shitbox is just re-rolling the dice whether you get a reliable one or a shit one.

>2) Buy a brand new truck
    >31k base model
    frick no lmao

>3) Stop looking at pickups and get a better SUV for that price.
    For price 1, yes
    >Thing is it's a bit feminine
    Just stopping being an insecure homosexual. If an SUV better suites your needs than a truck, get that. Or continue to have your buying habits dictated by ~~*marketers*~~ from Madison Ave in New York.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>Just stopping being an insecure homosexual

You sound smart, so I respect your opinion. I'm not insecure though. I mean, I am taking the overall look and feel of an SUV into consideration but it's not because of what others will feel about me. I don't think this is a cope man. I mean, I was in the military and did end up with going to the war. I do realize how it would first seem like I am a colossal homosexual worrying about what others will think about my cute pretty vehicle.

I think that's one of the underlying reasons, I don't want an SUV. I watch the news a lot and I feel like pickups are a pretty save bet against getting fricked with by troublemakers where an SUV/SEDAN or any other type of car draws attention from motherfrickers looking for a cool car to rob and frick with or break into to see if they can find some neat shit.

I'm trying not to get a car like that.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>No, generally you want to stick with the shitbox you have. Buying someone else's shitbox is just re-rolling the dice whether you get a reliable one or a shit one.

Also, I do fully agree with this. Unfortunately like I said this is almost a shitbox itself I'm rolling dice with so I'm keeping that in mine. I'm keeping my game up on vehicles that so I can be as prepared to make a decision in the case this thing isn't worth it anymore (and at this point it almost already isn't) which is why I'd be selling it at really cheap. Next thing wrong with it and I might straight up give it away and just get something else if that's what it takes.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *