So my cars speedo is out by around 10%, so if want to go 60kmh, I need to stick to around 55kmh on the dial, or if I'm doing 100kmh down the high...

So my cars speedo is out by around 10%, so if want to go 60kmh, I need to stick to around 55kmh on the dial, or if I'm doing 100kmh down the highway, I keep it at 90kmh.
As far as I know it's stock as a rock and has the stock tyre size, so I don't know why it's like this, but anyway;
I had a thought the other day, do you think the odo is also out? So the mileage would actually be around 10% more than what it displays on the dash?
Is there a >gud app I can install on my phone to log my KMs travelled? And then I can compare this to what the trip metre says.
Otherwise I guess I could just plot out a route on google maps, then drive it and see what the trip metre says afterwards, but wouldn't mind something more precise using GPS logging, and plus then I can compare it over a whole month of usage.

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's normal. Most vehicles do this.
    Could just use a freeway mile marker. They are pretty accurate and you would just tripmeter at the first one, and run it till the 2nd one.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>That's normal. Most vehicles do this
      no...most vehicle speedos are set to show you going faster than you actually are. Otherwise there'd be all sorts of lawsuits about speeding tickets and all that. In daily traffic you may find that your vehicle is actually about 5 kph slower than what your speedo tells you.
      You can get speedo ratio adapters which install to the speedo driven gear on the gearbox, but they aren't cheap.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why the shit would a 10% difference matter? Are you a roogay who can get a ticket for going 1km/h over or something? Speedos have always been super inaccurate at higher speeds which is why cop cars have specially calibrated speedos and why speed records are GPS verified. Most vehicles came with different tire size options but it's not like the manufacturer is going to change the gearing to accommodate that. They usually calibrate the speedo for one of those sizes so yeah it can be off from the factory buy 10% or so. Yes a GPS app is probably more accurate in the long run.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Are you a roogay who can get a ticket for going 1km/h over or something?
      Yes

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Hey! The cops saw me going a whole 8 kph (5 mph) over without ticketing me once

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ohh cucked euro. Here in Leafland they won't bother you as long as you stay under 130km/h. I can have my cruise set at 140km/h and I'll still have cattle haulers and flatbed oilfield trucks pulling up on me. On the weekends people will be going 150+ in the left lane on the highway.

Shit is way wilder in the US...

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

probably australia. govt propaganda against speeding has been depressingly effective. every time you point out that the autobahn has fewer fatalities per km in its unrestricted sections than aussie roads, you're told that it's because they have good roads and most people stay out of the passing lane.
          when you point out to these people that they themselves mention everything but speeding being the cause of this, you're met with silence

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

We can do 7km/h over the limit at 100km/h.
      At 8km/h over you will get a fine for doing 104km/h.
      It is 3%.
      So at 40km/h you have like no leway.
      At 100 it is 7km/h and most dirt roads have no speed limit because only city morons die speeding.
      Have to be drunk or unlucky to die living between the middle of nowhere and
      >you got purdy mouth

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This is unless you are pulled over by highway patrol, they give you 2km/h no matter what and if you want to fight it they will 100% take you to court and it will cost more than the fine.
        Frick highway patrol.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i think i got really lucky. did 140 in a 110 zone but the highway patrol guy that pulled me over just booked me for 28 over so i still kept my loicence

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what state?
            25 over is loss of loicense on the spot in vic.
            Whats fricked is they are making all country roads with high traffic 80km/h instead of fixing them.
            Roads fricked?
            Drop the speed limit.
            c**t government frickheads.
            John Howard was the last government to build actual roads outside cities, his roads are still buried under like 1ft of bitumen.
            Its fricking pathetic.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

nsw
            30 over and they cut up your loicense

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yep. Australias infrastructure is collapsing. They slowed down the road outside my house from 100 to 80 and its slow as snails. Cheaper to print new road signs than actually fix all the massive potholes.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Anon the way to test your speedo is to USE THE ODO
    Have you not seen those signs on the highway for "speedometer check" or whatever they say? You know the ones that say "0km" "1km" "2km" etc up to 5km?

Well you're not supposed to use a stopwatch anon, you're supposed to set your trip counter to 0 when you pass the 0 sign, then see how far out it reads once you get to the 5km sign. This is how you tell if your speedo, which is intrinsically to the odometer, is reading correctly.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Have you not seen those signs
      no, never seen them.

So can anyone recommend me a GPS distance logging app or not?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Maybe you should try opening your eyes next time you're driving on the road zoomie

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Let me rephrase that, there ARE 100% DEFINITELY NONE physically present on any of the roads I drive on, and I will stake my life on it.

I see literally every sign on the side of the road, I guarantee I pay more attention to my surroundings than you. And I'm 35.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Maybe you live in some gay shithole state which doesn't do them

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah probably.

So app recommendations anyone?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So what gay shithole state do you live in?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i can only find android ones that seem to be made by pajeets judging by the descriptions, and they show full screen ads at random intervals that apparently do not go away automatically. real great when you're hurtling down the highway

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Do they mine bitcoin too?

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Timing your distance markers like the other replies is OK but it's better to do the following.

This method is foolproof and perfect because your RPM is directly related to your speed and should only deviate plus or minus 5-10 RPM.
    You will need an OBD reader with app to get your actual engine RPM as the tach in cars is never accurate either. My own car the tach overreports by 50-100RPM.

Take your wheel and tire size at OEM spec pressure, and run it through a size calculator to get your entire tire diameter. Next get your gear ratios and final drive ratio.
    Use these:
    https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/
    https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html
    Set your cruise control to an indicated speed that should give you the RPM you calculated. Check your ECU's actual RPM, not your tachometer RPM.
    Any deviation from the calcualated RPM and real ECU RPM would tell you something is actually wrong.

I use this method to check my own cars because "the speedos read under" as everyone says.
    No, they do not (or shouldn't)

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>OBD
      >cruise control
      Ok Mr Hollywood

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

kek I forgot OP is ausfailian

skip two beer nights and buy a cheap elm327 and the torque app you mismanaged drunkard

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

bruz you don't TIME the distance markers
      you compare the distance markers to the distance recorded by your odometer

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Gear/RPM calc and ECU RPM reading remove any observation variables and also solve the bonus question "is my tach accurate?" which is probably good to know.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That is absolutely the long way around anon
          Simply drive 5 kms and if your odo says 5.5 then your speedo will say 110 when you're going 100

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

go 107 on gps
    100 on odo
    Ill just get 7% taller tires next time.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

10% is out of tolerance.
    You have weak springs.
    Take it to the speedo shop and have it rebuilt.
    Last one I did was about a hundred bucks.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I always go 20 over because its really only 10 over.
    I checked it with speed GPS app for the cellphone.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I check'd u doooomb. Its always %, not static

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *