So which generation (decade) of cars have these computers where they can be shut down remotely if "they" really wanted to?

So which generation (decade) of cars have these computers where they can be shut down remotely if "they" really wanted to?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

90s up.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Unlikely

https://i.imgur.com/TB0zSAt.jpg

2003 onward, when CANBUS started being used. The feds mandated every car have it in 2008. A CANBUS exploit to his 2012 C-Class coupe is the most plausible explanation for how General McChrystal got his revenge on Michael Hastings in 2012.

Absolutely certainly late 2000's/early 10's was when it happened.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Unlikely

OnStar came out in GM products in the mid 90s

Just avoid any car that has an SOS button from before 2010 and dont buy new cars

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

You do realize that eventually you will have to buy a car with this feature onboard right?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Are you moronic? No he doesn't.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

They can "mandate it" but that doesn't mean I'll comply. Frick you, bootlicking scum.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

not happening as long as i have a welder, sawzall, and some wrenches. shitboxes will outlive all of you.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

2014 onwards maybe earlier if theirs 4g connectivity and stuff like onstar maybe and first gen teslas and hybrid evs

Even then pretty much everything from 2010 back was dumb and unable to be remotely killed

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2003 onward, when CANBUS started being used. The feds mandated every car have it in 2008. A CANBUS exploit to his 2012 C-Class coupe is the most plausible explanation for how General McChrystal got his revenge on Michael Hastings in 2012.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

There isn't 1 specific year. The presence of a SIM card / "always on" network connection is a strong indicator. Some vehicles had this all the way back in 2012, others didn't have this as late as 2018.

There is no remote connectivity to a car made in 2003. If your threat model includes adversaries with physical access to your car, they don't even need to hack it to kill you, they could just cut your brakes, or remove all of the coolant from your car, or pull the fuse for the traction control (for idiots).

CANBUS certainly can be exploited but you need a method to communicate with it, and even then, there's no guarantee that PCM's actually support interacting with certain subsystems. When the Jeep hack happened a few years ago, they couldn't drive the car remotely. They could activate brakes on the highway, but they could not provide steering inputs. This is because there was no way for the PCM to provide physical steering inputs.

Over CANBUS, you're still ultimately limited by what the PCM can interact with.

Kill switches that can be activated by local police departments were quite literally mandated through a hidden rider in the 2021 infrastructure bill
      Same with "driver monitoring systems" aka hidden interior cameras that employ facial recognition and eye tracking software

any car that can be connected to the Internet.

>any car with a wireless communication method connected to the ecu

ftfy

Anything drive by wire is compromised

Good answers, broadly speaking

All this said, even if you drive a newer car, there is likely a fuse you can pull to remove all remote connectivity, with better odds of this working on some brands then others.

The cars that will refuse to start without a software update are probably the least likely to play nice with no connectivity.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Can't you just remove the antenna/transmitter/receiver?
        Or maybe remove the unit that controls this without ruining the car?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

pulling the fuse for that subsystem removes the power source which is the idea there. modern antennae are frequently integrated directly into the bodywork / windshields / etc. keep in mind, not every car will like this, and some might even refuse to start without that connection, which is pulling fuse is such a good strat. it's easy to locate, easy to look up schematics online to figure out which fuses do what, and easy to put it back in if the car doesn't like that.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Kill switches that can be activated by local police departments were quite literally mandated through a hidden rider in the 2021 infrastructure bill
    Same with "driver monitoring systems" aka hidden interior cameras that employ facial recognition and eye tracking software

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

any car that can be connected to the Internet.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>any car with a wireless communication method connected to the ecu

ftfy

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Not true. There have been studies where hacker groups managed to take control of the vehicle via Bluetooth. Can't remember the make of the car.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Not true.
          >Bluetooth
          Bluetooth requires physical pairing consent between devices. For the device the be paired the car has to first allow itself to turn on and then be operated to pair. Bluetooth is perhaps the most secure wireless connection available.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

There are attacks against bluetooth pairing, and even without any technical attacks, you'd be surprised how many default to using pins that are either static (000000) or predictable (last 6 of VIN, visible from outside of the car on windshield). While many of the protocol-level flaws are fixed, the implementations may not behave perfectly according to spec or be running the latest BT version.

>Bluetooth is perhaps the most secure wireless connection available.
            lol

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Bluetooth
          >Not Wireless Communication.

Are you purposely being moronic?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

yep, but those cases were only because the ecu was connected to the canbus or to the infotainment directly, and the Bluetooth connected to one of those.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have 2004 blobeye WRX.

Am I affected by this?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You have enough to worry about with that engine

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2010s for sure

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Everything post-2013.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This it was in the 2012 NDAA, while it might not affect all 2013 models that's when it started

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Anything drive by wire is compromised

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2000s Onstar. For location reasons for if and when it is activated.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They?

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

does my 2010 chally have it ;_;

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Obongo era at the latest since they used it to kill that journalist.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

[...]

The day I decide enough is enough, they'll already know through all the data they collected, a mass file in storage. Hell, this post is gonna get added to my report too. The day I know enough is enough, they'll already kill myself with 2 shots to the back of my head, Epstein style.
    FRICK YOU GLOWIES

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

THIS. I want nothing more than to "euthanise" glowBlack folk.

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It was a known exploit for 2010s FCA products. Their infotainment was vulnerable.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

if there is a screen in the vehicle, it's compromised. everything after 2020 is 100% compromised. the new ford mustang has cameras that will detect if the driver falls asleep or is very distracted, pull over and put the hazards on.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

about the same time as covid was a hoax and flat earth was real.

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

[...]

then you'll post your internet and cellphone location history for all to see, right anon?

After all you're not important enough for someone to use it maliciously in some way, so don't you worry.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The real question is whether or not my 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage had it or if it's too much of a 3rd world tractor

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

2012 NDAA

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *