Someone needs to explain to me why you'd go "off roading" in a truck or SUV.

Someone needs to explain to me why you'd go "off roading" in a truck or SUV. These vehicles cost a ton of money to build and maintain, and at the end of the day you'll still have a less capable offroader than a sxs or dirt bike which you could've bought for a couple grand. What's even the point?

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

side by sides, quads, and dirtbikes are better 90% of the time, but its also pretty fun to buy a beater mud pig and spend time cutting and welding it to drive through a lake or something with your 3 friends in the back. Thats something you can't really do with a side by side, especially something expensive like a polaris. Its also a lotta fun to work on trail rigs and there's a lotta freedom in the way of customizing them. In a sense, its kinda like racecar drivers vs builders. Every racecar builder likes to drive his car, but every racecar driver only likes to race. They just enjoy driving. Quads and side by sides are for people who want to hop on a vehicle, have it start up everytime, and just fill it with gas every now and then to fly on a trail. They have no interest in finding out better methods of optimizing their vehicle or making it faster or more adept.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's all just fad shit mainly. Just more junk for people to buy.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I mean that's true with almost any consumable good besides food and water. You need to be vigilant about how you spend your money so you don't end up a debt slave that thinks he's rich, but you also have to have some fun occasionally.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lots of poor cope ITT

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Having something you can road trip with and frick off the road to do some exploring at the drop of a hat. Same reasoning as adventure bikes.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, this is huge. A while back I was driving from Reno to LA with my dad and we decided to turn off and drive up to Bodie Ghost Town when we saw the sign. It was cool as hell but the drive up there would've absolutely sucked in a car (godawful washboard), and the alternate road we took down would've been borderline impossible in something without 4x4 and ground clearance, or at least would've torn a regular car up pretty bad. (Big washouts, exposed rock sections, etc.)

The other thing is that a truck/SUV lets you bring a lot more gear than other options, and it can also be your daily driver so you don't have to have space for extra off-road vehicles, a trailer to haul them on, etc. That's a big deal if you live in a house with other people who also have cars or if you're in a rental with only one parking space and no secure storage for bikes or whatever.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I've driven that road a few times. My Fit had no problem, even at a good speed. Super fun road.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Offroading is among the gayest things ever, but buying an offroad gaymobile and daily driving it (mallcrawling) is even worse, and a lot more common.

Driving offroad to get to your hunting cabin or something = makes sense.
    Driving offroad to take pictures for instagram = gigantic homosexual.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You missed that wonderful middle group of "I just like to blast this machine over bumps and rocks and through piles of mud because it's fun." But to your point, frick people who do shit just for social media pics.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another leftypol eurocuck r/frickcars /n/igger garbage thread seething about trucks/SUVs.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Guaranteed I produce more emissions than you bud

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>that goy whose sense of rugged individuality and masculinity is derived from a mass-produced goybox which consumes 30% of his hourly take home pay at his dead end wagie toil job

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't really get. Any real 4x4 SUV or truck with some AT's and ideally at least an auto locking rear will get you to 99% of the places you should be going with a road vehicle. Dumping tens of thousands into a road vehicle to go a little further than that when you can just pull over, unload the real off road toys and have 10x more fun doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Risking your only way of reaching the civilized world again to slowly crawl over some rocks is not smart in my books.

I would daily a long travel truck with 40's IF I could afford to use it properly. The average person is not using their $100k off road rig properly because they're afraid of wrecking it. You also better be able to keep those 40's fresh because showing up to the trail with bald tires makes you look like a tryhard.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I was invited to an over landing thing and I brought my unmodified 2wd suburban and had no problems.

All that extra shit is aesthetics. Unless you’re literally crawling boulders you don’t need a $50k off roader. You need a $2k old suburban.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why would you take a hot hatch to a track day when you can get a Caterham?

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>sxs could've bought for a couple grand
    that would be a clapped out golfcart

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because you can take a truck/suv on a road trip, gp camping, load it up with supplies etc.
    Side by side needs to be trailered somewhere. As does a dirt bike or quad.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The ability to drive in on the same vehicle you take offroad. You can take through routes and not have to loop back to staging. I did a road trip in Arizona, not offroad focus, but three sections where I did need my lifted 4x4. Much easier to do that trip in a lifted midsize alone than towing a SxS. Also some people dont have the space for truck, trailer, and sxs.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

HELL YEAH BROTHER

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think it's just neat. I off-road modified my freaking 2008 CRV and have fun all the time in pacific northwest woods. very nice camping and hunting buddy car too.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

off-roading usually has implications of camping, and it's for this reason why most people would go for a proper vehicle. They want to carry a bunch of shit and camp for a few nights.
    Also not road legal. If I want to go to a trail that's a few states away, I'm not gonna use a sxs. a sxs would limit me to my immediate locale

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i just did 5500 miles towing my caravan, 1000-1500 miles of that was off-road. please explain how'd i'd do that legally with a dirt bike or sxs?

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Americans have more money than they know what to do with. At least they did. Now we're starting to be more frugal which is why you see more critical threads like these and against bus-sized trucks.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You sound underage

18. 4 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Road legal trucks and side by side aren’t really comparable, neither are dirt bikes

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

low iq
    offroading rock crawling is extremely gay compared to any kind of road racing, rally, rallycross

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>autistically run in circles trying to be 0.1 seconds faster
      vs
      >exploring

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've never understood this either lol

>go off-road in your big manly beard machine
    >flip car because there's a dip behind brush
    >100k in repairs
    >and for what?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it's more like
      >use a metal box to take s/o and a couple friends deep in the woods with all of our gear to drink and do drugs
      >if an aggressive bear or something comes around, we can lock ourselves in the metal box
      >if there is bad weather the stuff in the metal box stays safe
      >the metal box has a/c and heat and it can be used to go to work or get groceries or whatever when we go back

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Side by side is too small to bring the family.
    Ones that are big enough sacrifice capability and cost as much as a truck or suv.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Wut? There are a bunch of 4-6 seater UTV's out there that will easily haul a family. They still cost less than a base model Jeep and are still 10x more capable.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Anon. A 4 seater side by side with a cab is every bit as expensive as a used jeep, has less cargo capacity and cannot be driven to the trailhead legally.
        Maybe you think offroading with the family with no destination in mind is cool, im hauling shit to go camping with and UTVs are way more limited here.
        I know its hard to cope with the fact that there is a tradeoff for choosing your favorite mode of offroad transportation that doesnt align with my needs, but thats not my problem.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>A 4 seater side by side with a cab is every bit as expensive as a used jeep
          You can have a $70k "off road" Jeep or you can have a $35k side by side and a $35k truck to haul it.

Your camp spots can be accessed with a stock 4x4 truck. Stop larping. You're not getting any of the super remote camp spots here with a on road off road vehicle. It's like that in most of North America.

>pic
          Try to think about how did they get there
          The vehicles are usually not road legal
          Definitely not highway legal
          They can't drive very far or very fast (highway speeds fast)

They don't need to be any of those things when they get towed in with a comfy truck.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>They don't need to be any of those things when they get towed in with a comfy truck.
            Why bother with spending money and time on another vehicle and towing it if you can go off road in the truck? It's definitely not the only way to go, but it is a legitimate option.
            >stock 4x4 truck
            You're not an enthusiast if you're roasting people for modifying their vehicles. Go burn in an EV or something.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Why bother with spending money and time on another vehicle and towing it if you can go off road in the truck?
            Because on road vehicles suck ass off road even when you modify the frick out of them... Pay attention. Also a basecamp with a vehicle to get you back to the highway if there's also an emergency is definitely smart, Mr. family man.

>You're not an enthusiast if you're roasting people for modifying their vehicles
            Ricing out a vehicle, yes that's a thing for the off road community too, doesn't make you an enthusiast. Dropping $50k into a vehicle to make it go off road to a campsite that a stock Camry could get to doesn't make you an enthusiast. It just makes you a ricer larper.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Meds.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He didn't say anything wrong

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, nothing wrong with hijacking a thread to sperg out about whats "real offroading"

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The things he wrote are very much inadequate and the post is borderline bait, so forgive me for not going into details.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>bu bu but muh 70k jeep
            Anon, a stock jeep is just about the most cabable stock road legal vehicle there is.
            >bu bubut muh super remote spots
            So youre just gonna shift the goal posts, just like that?

What the frick are you even arguing for?
            A UTV doesnt suit my needs like a run of the mill 4x4 does you fricking homosexual, thats all the justification required to answer the question posed in the OP.
            please do us all a favor and have a nice day you fat lipped Black person.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>pic
        Try to think about how did they get there
        The vehicles are usually not road legal
        Definitely not highway legal
        They can't drive very far or very fast (highway speeds fast)

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I like a roof and AC sometimes.

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't think you can comfortably sleep in a side by side or atv.

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My truck has been pretty cheap to maintain so far. I have a canopy on the back and sleep in it whenever I go camping. It's really nice to be able to just drive anywhere and sleep there. SXS and dirt bikes suck for camping, I have not interest in laying on the ground anymore.

25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How are you nerds even arguing over this. You guys are moronic or something?

26. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What if you use a stock offroad variant 4x4 pick up truck to have a mobile basecamp that can travel cross country comfortably and do light offroading? That way you can bring your toys like dirt bikes with you closer to the action and set up camp with all your gear. With a stock or near stock vehicle you retain the reliability and warranty. You can bring a camper or roof top tent set up with you easily and set up camp wherever you want. This way the truck really only needs to be able to do light offroad trails and you can go further with the bike or on foot if you like hiking. Light trails wont really endanger the vehicle.
    What if the truck was comfortable to drive on the street and was also useful for tons of things as a home owner with projects, or as a small buisness owner? Plus has the capacity to expand should you want to grow from the tent to a camper or the bikes into a polaris inside a toy hauler? And was a good people mover for a family?
    Plus, you can get pretty far out there even on mild trails. The point is to get out there and have fun.
    >buying a f250 tremor soon

27. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because you're a big dicked gigachad superior male with tons of disposable income.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *