SQTDDTOT

Stupid questions thread
7 speed edition

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is a $75k salary enough to afford a used Porsche Cayman (+$40k)?
    I typically spend $1,500/month towards bills and expenses.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No, your total vehicle value shouldn't exceed 25% of your annual income. Also repairs and maintenance on that car will break you.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's not about vehicle value, it's about monthly payments, insurance cost, and maintenance. How your car related expenses compares to your monthly salary. Money in has to exceed the money out by a good amount to be in a good financial position.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>it's about monthly payments,
          No it certainly is not.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>yeah. just get an 8 year loan to keep your monthly payments low

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Um yeah you can most certainly literally do this.
            If a ferrari costed $20 a month for a hundred years loan I would do that.
            The problem is after 8 years you're still paying a loan on a vehicle that's going to start having issues and is outdated.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He wasn’t implying it wasn’t possible, just why would you bother making car payments for that long. If you can’t afford the cost of a 36-month loan, then you should be saving up a couple thousand for a beater car and drive that until you’re better off and can afford a better car.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You cannot literally do this though. No dealer or bank is going to willingly grant you a car loan with a repayment so low it would take you multiple human lifetimes to pay it back

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

This makes me curious how most rich people determine how to buy cars. Do they just outright buy a $50-100k vehicle? I think the obvious answer is that it’s more profitable to save for a downpayment and then pay a monthly fee you can afford. Or judging by how quickly certain low end luxury vehicles drop in value after 10 years, they just lease the cars.
            It wouldnt make sense to outright buy a vehicle unless its price was already low or you just really liked the vehicle.
            The only right answer is whether or not people can truly afford the method of buying or leasing, the bigger issue would be whether the price is fair/sustainable/ethical or not.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>it's about monthly payments
          this is the third classic blunder, the first of which is never start a land war in asia.

The margins are bigger on sedan and advertising shamed wagons. The answer to everything is money.

/subthread

https://i.imgur.com/a2SJZnt.jpeg

[...]
          [...]
          Poster here, I bought it after taking a look at it(rust is present but doesnt seem that bad) and it has an issue of occasionally losing power while under load(i can hear sucking coming from the intake while it happens) but the seller insisted it was either a sensor issue or traction control getting finicky. Do (You) think its just a sensor or did I get majorly fricked? Havent noticed any other problems.

sounds like a vacuum leak. usually a cheap fix, just replacing a rubber line and maybe the hose clamps, but diagnosing them can be a b***h.

wouldn't be a sensor, but it would through a sensor error, because the engine will start running lean from air entering after the MAF sensor and so the ECU will think the MAF is reporting incorrectly, but it's just air is coming in behind the MAF which it can't detect.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Also repairs and maintenance on that car will break you.
        Yeah, that’s what made me unsure about owning any Porsche (I definitely know a Carrera is outside my budget), but figured having a salary like that would alleviate the stress of owning one, when you have $2,400/month left over after paying bills and such.
        I was only earning $22k/year, before I got a better job.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>2,400/month
          Sorry, $2,900/month.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>your total vehicle value shouldn't exceed 25% of your annual income

So if I make 6 figures I should only have a car that's worth no more than $25k? That makes no sense

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That makes perfect sense if you don't want to be broke your whole life. Expensive cars go down in value rapidly.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That still makes no sense. If you're concerned about keeping a cars value then never ever drive.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They will still go down in value if you don't drive them. They are depreciating assets.
            Wealthy people put their money in appreciating assets like mutual funds, real estate, and businesses and become wealthier. Broke people put their money in depreciating assets like expensive cars and stay broke their whole lives.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The only people that can afford expensive cars ARE wealthy people...

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I reckon it makes sense. 100k income isn't really all that high. I make 100k and soon to be nearly 140k, but I've never paid near 25k for a car and have no need to in the near future. A few years ago I treated myself and 'upgraded' to a 12k car and that's been fine.
          There's genuinely no reason for someone in a lower-middle income bracket to buy a brand new car unless they have some sort of company discount/incentive etc
          >inb4 hurr durr maintenance included etc etc
          The amount you will spend on maintanence for a mid-level 10-15k used car will be far less than the 12k a year you will be spend on repayments for your brand new shitbox that's burning through at least another 5k per year in depreciation

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>100k income isn't really all that high
            You sound like a friend of mine that makes over $200k a year. (Greet text story)
            Compared to what? This is all relative, and for someone making 6 figures it certainly isn't too expensive. Most of what you said is a personal choice. You could easily afford to buy a car of that or more value, but the only reason you've said for not doing so is "no need to in the near future".
            This isn't a rule. Just self restricts with no rationale. Also I'm not sure where you live but six figures is not lower- middle income bracket in America.

My friend and I joke about this all the time.
            >Back then
            >Be broke
            >Only make ~32k a year
            >Get a beater worth more than 25% of income
            >Never hear a word about depreciating value

>Now
            >Make 100k
            >Suddenly 20k on a car is ridiculous
            >Completely forget you have a beater because you HAD to not because you WANTED to
            >Suddenly cars are about depreciating values and how SmArT you are for driving a raggity beater

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

the beater doesn't depreciate because it's already at the bottom of the depreciation curve when you bought it.
            I've never sold a shitbox for more than $200 less than I bought it for. Most of the time I sell them for exactly what I bought them for.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I've never sold a shitbox for more than $200 less than I bought it for.
            >Most of the time I sell them for exactly what I bought them for.
            How can both of those things be true at once?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

"for more than" was referring to the price differential between what I bought the car for and what I sold it for ($200). Not that I had never sold a car for more than a $200 less it's purchase price.

If X is the price I purchased the car for and Y is the price I sold the car for, then Y is always.
            Y ≧ X - 200

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh ok you mistyped, I got you.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

everyone does that != makes sense

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What a crock of shit, that would mean less than 10% of Americans could afford to drive a new car at all by your standards. 90% of people would be driving 20 year old 7k shitboxes if this were the case and there would be no car industry. People definitely spend too much on their cars, but 25% of your annual income is ridiculous for almost everyone.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>25% = 7k
          >avg American makes 28k
          where are you getting your numbers buddy?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They make like 30 something thousand on average so that’s not far off and remember that 25% is the MAX you’re supposed to spend if you’re to believe this.
            >captcha: kyswv2

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Not him.

>https://usafacts.org/data/topics/economy/jobs-and-income/jobs-and-wages/median-annual-wage/

>Inb4 buh buh buh that's the Median.

Median is a better representation of income, as averaging the whole would throw in billionaires and offset the number by more than 20K a year.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If median is a better representation because it isn’t being thrown off by billionaires then you’re going to have to explain why it’s nearly 10k higher than the average income.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>your total vehicle value shouldn't exceed 25% of your annual income

So if I make 6 figures I should only have a car that's worth no more than $25k? That makes no sense

It also scales with your wealth. As you get richer you can spend more and more of your income as a % on cars.
        Someone making a million a year could easily spend $500k on a car. Someone making $50k a year should NEVER buy a $25k car.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

you people neglect to fricking mention how often you think people should be buying cars if they're to follow this stupid rule of yours in the first place that makes no sense. does this assume that I'm buying a new car every 3 years or 15? That really makes a difference in how much of your income you should spend, doesn't it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Depends what your down payment is... How much of a loan do you need?
      Sure if you have a million from crypto lying around but you have a $75k salary from working as a mcdonalds manager for fun, then yes you can afford it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why do you assume I’m going to do such a dumbass thing and finance a car? I’m going to buy any car I want at full price.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Most likely you can afford it yes. Porsche is the most reliable of the German brands. Set some money aside each month in case of a catastrophic failure and expect good tires to give you some price shock but otherwise you should be okay. I'd say $10k max for an emergency repair fund.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>used Porsche Cayman
      Yeah, and you can find them for far less. Is it enough to maintain one? Maybe not. Definitely doable as a second car, though.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what is it that you want out of the porsche? you should be able to find something much cheaper that ticks most of the boxes and still has reasonable power that isnt going to cripple you financially(which it will). at $75k salary, you can save up to buy a home, though learning to invest in stocks will help that, but that car will 100% prevent you from being able to do that

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why would anyone ever drive a sedan when they could drive a station wagon?
    Better QoL aspects like air conditioning and sound isolation, maybe?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because if someone wanted more cargo space, they would prefer a crossover or SUV, which are more common.
      That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re right for getting one, though. Wagons are cool, unlike SUVs.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The margins are bigger on sedan and advertising shamed wagons. The answer to everything is money.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The only sedans I've owned was because it was the car I could find used at the time I needed one in the price I could afford. If a wagon was available I'd get the wagon

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Practical pragmatic people always choose stw over sedan.
      Most people are emotional though, and more often than not cars are very emotional investments.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Twofer SQTDDTOT: Does BMW currently make NA i6 or i4? Too lazy to go through every model on their website.
    Is there a way to "de-modify" a turbo charged car. Pros and cons, go! Hypothetically of course. No "why would you do that?" Please. These are intentionally stupid questions after all.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Twofer SQTDDTOT: Does BMW currently make NA i6 or i4? Too lazy to go through every model on their website.
      eat shit you lazy frick
      >Is there a way to "de-modify" a turbo charged car.
      depends on how old it is. 20+ years old no problem just remove everything and cap it off well. modern is almost impossible as the computer will be expecting the turbocharge, so it'll never run correctly

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You would just de-modify it the same way you’d modify it. If it’s possible to reflash or replace the ECU then yeah, you just get rid of the turbo shit, then retune it.

https://i.imgur.com/IUrqn5S.jpeg

Why would anyone ever drive a sedan when they could drive a station wagon?
      Better QoL aspects like air conditioning and sound isolation, maybe?

I immediately noticed the higher center of gravity, and it’s less aerodynamic than a sedan. I also get pushed by the wind more. If I had third row seats I would take them out because third row seats suck if it’s not a van. The only advantage my wagon has that I like, is that I use it like a truck, and honestly I’ll probably replace it with a truck in a few months because I want a bigger engine and more engine bay space.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I immediately noticed the higher center of gravity

You absolutely did not feel an altered CofG height driving the wagon/estate version of the same vehicle compared to a sedan.

A slightly altered roof line barely raises it. You're talking about some thin body panels that don't weigh much being 20" higher along 1/3 of the vehicle.

Everything heavy has stayed in the same place.

OEMs measure the CofG in X, Y and Z when developing vehicles and even do sensitivity studies moving components around.

The roof and a slightly taller pillar at the rear is barely a factor as it weighs very little in comparison to pretty much any other part of the vehicle.

It technically moves the CofG upwards, and rearwards, but by such a negligible amount that you'd never feel it. You're talking about moving maybe 1-2% of the mass of the vehicle slightly upwards.

The rear ends of sedans/saloons tend to be stiffer, which you're much more likely to be able to feel.

Sauce: Vehicle Dynamics Engineer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this

You would just de-modify it the same way you’d modify it. If it’s possible to reflash or replace the ECU then yeah, you just get rid of the turbo shit, then retune it.
      [...]
      I immediately noticed the higher center of gravity, and it’s less aerodynamic than a sedan. I also get pushed by the wind more. If I had third row seats I would take them out because third row seats suck if it’s not a van. The only advantage my wagon has that I like, is that I use it like a truck, and honestly I’ll probably replace it with a truck in a few months because I want a bigger engine and more engine bay space.

depending on why youd want to, I feel like it might be easier just to modify/change the wastegate or turbo to make less boost, and probably tune the ecu accordingly. especially in a new car it might be necessary to do it that way for the reasons that guy said

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

2002 car is worth 600 euros, runs good.
    got a quote to replace the suspension considering its 22 years old and has 167000KM.
    Current suspension is in the 45% range at inspection.
    They want 640 for the front and 330 for the back.
    Is this a lot?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What parts does it need to pass inspection? If springs are ok no need to replace those. Reasonable price is whatever cheapest parts available and 4 hours of labor cost in your country.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's the most aerodynamic barchetta/convertible (with the top down) ever made? Google says it's the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante, but I'm pretty sure the cited 0.25 Cd is for the coupe version.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

After parking I noticed something dripping off the bottom of my car. I put a cloth underneath it to catch the fluid and it was clearish (the cloth was yellow) and smelled kind of like soap. Maybe washer fluid lines?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'd make that assumption. If you want to be sure put a little UV dye in the reservoir and shine a UV light at the puddle
      Or just check the line going from the reservoir to the pump

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

OK, I'm just glad it wasn't oil I don't mind buying more $3 fluid tbh

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If you were driving with the A/C on, then it’s just condensation. Nothing to worry about.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah. There is a drain tube on the firewall.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

if you have an empty fuse spot with no metal prongs in it, is it unusable

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If you mean, if you put a fuse in that slot would it do anything, then no, it’s not usable.
      Empty slots are probably options your vehicle didn’t come with, based on the submodel. Multiple models may use the same fuse box, but some of the models may not be as well equipped as other models.
      Those empty slots can be put to great use if you ever needed to add new accessories or any other electrical modification that require a fuse.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Those empty slots can be put to great use if you ever needed to add new accessories or any other electrical modification that require a fuse
        this i do have but i gotta wire all that shit?? GAAAYYY

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If you mean, if you put a fuse in that slot would it do anything, then no, it’s not usable.
          Empty slots are probably options your vehicle didn’t come with, based on the submodel. Multiple models may use the same fuse box, but some of the models may not be as well equipped as other models.
          Those empty slots can be put to great use if you ever needed to add new accessories or any other electrical modification that require a fuse.

seriously though i want to hook up some lights and I don't want to put a larger fuse than specified on an existing slot and piggy back off of that

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Once I had a light kit that came with this fuse that basically had a wire coming out of it. It can draw current but won’t bypass and disable the already existing fuse. That way, you just add a new fuse to the wire that goes to the new load(s) and then ground it. I bet you could probably find these fuses online pretty easy. You wouldn’t have to frick with the fuse box itself (except maybe drill a hose and put silicone around the wire to keep water out) if that’s what you mean

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

*Drill a hole not a hose

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sorry I meant that the current fuses all pop if i add the light to it right now. So either I put a stronger fuse, which would risk frying circuitry, or I could use the empty fuse spot. But that empty fuse slot has no metal connector.

Unless I misunderstand what you said.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What are you using for the power supply when it blew?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I Tapped into cruise control and it immediately blew. then 4wd. immediately blew. and rr windshield. same shit. cruise was 10 amp the other 2 were 25. i replaced the fuses and gave up for the time being

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What you want to do is draw the power before it goes past the fuse.

The easiest thing imo is called something like a “fuse tap”. It goes in the fuse slot you want, but doesn’t affect the existing fuse’s functionality because you’re just tapping into the powersource before the existing fuse. Pic related is the electrical diagram for it and what I was trying to explain earlier.

You could just attach a new wire and fuse to the positive battery clamp, but it’s not good if you’re wiring a lot of loads.

You could strip a wire that’s powered by the battery before it goes to a fuse, and then attach a new wire with its own fuse (not ideal because this will probably cause grounds one day and usually looks ghetto).

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ah thank you that makes sense!

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you can use splitters like this

https://www.amazon.com/Types-Add-Circuit-Adapter-Fuse/dp/B085MGP931/

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Working on a car on grass
    What to do to make sure the car wont sink on me?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sheet of plywood under your jackstands

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What are the odds that a new (not used) alternator I got came blown out?
    Is it common for alternators to be a lottery or am I just unlucky?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The odds are great. It is common that the newest part is the problem. Idk about your trouble shooting but you aren’t crazy.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>What are the odds that a new (not used) alternator I got came blown out?
      Aftermarket? 90% odds that it's bad or will break within 1 year. OEM? about 20%.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My requirements, in order of importance:
    >4 doors
    >AWD
    >Reliable enough to last a decade
    >relatively cheap to maintain
    >Under $40k
    >No more than 4 years old
    >Fun

it seems to me like the 2021+ IS 350 F sport is the best option that meets all my criteria. From the reviews I've seen people say it has an outdated interior and the 6 speed in the AWD is sluggish but I'm basically cross shopping this against a Camry or Accord and I feel like this will still be more fun than those two while also lasting me a decade without too much headache. Am I going in the right direction or is this a stupid idea?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Seems like a good idea to me if the interior is practical. You could probably get a retune for the transmission, autos only suck because normies want smooth shifting

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where do I go about finding the maximum rated horsepower or torque that the transmission in my shitbox can handle? For anyone familiar with Hyundai's beta ii engine, I have a plan to swap it into my accent, where it's said to bolt right up and then throw a cheap turbo kit onto it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Where do I go about finding the maximum rated horsepower or torque that the transmission in my shitbox can handle
      Put together a list of all the cars it was ever used in. The highest hp of them is likely just about the most the mfg trusted it with.
      You can also check enthusiast boards for the car to find out experiences of people who built higher hp machines.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do people generally clean the mechanical bits of their cars? Like the engine bay, underside, wheel wells etc.
    I recently got my first car, the insides are a bit grimy and I don't know if I maybe just shouldn't touch them at all

• 3 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

Most people don’t, but you can. Every dealership selling used cars will pressure wash the engine bay to clean it up before it goes on the lot. Just don’t soak the thing while it’s still hot and let it dry before you drive it.

What are the odds that a new (not used) alternator I got came blown out?
      Is it common for alternators to be a lottery or am I just unlucky?

It happens. Buying aftermarket starters and alternators, they’re often rebuilt ones or just shitty Chinese crap, and I’ve seen a lot of them fail way before they should.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I do it with engine running at the car wash. Stay away from air filter and don’t linger around ignition. Slowly mist exhaust to cool and gradually blast. Go light around sealing surfaces.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

On my car I wire brushed the intake manifold and it’s been pretty clean since for 2 years. I also cleaned the top of my valve cover at that time and more or less haven’t looked at it since. I painted my engine cover and clean it frequently because I have to refill my coolant frequently and it’s also the only thing worth cleaning regularly because I painted it. I sort of lazily clean everything I can whenever I change my oil (every three months) or around when I work on something or am inspecting for leaks.
      But generally no, people don’t clean them at all besides the body and interior, it’s honestly super annoying because of all the wires and shit, I’d rather clean litterboxes.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Potholes are fricking killing me. Can I just chuck lift springs on stock struts to avoid hitting bump stops every time? Or will the car just lift off on highway speeds? I'm looking at options with 1 to 1.5 inch nominal lift over stock.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If potholes are causing you to hit bump stops, your shocks are fricked, or you're taking the potholes way too fast. Just replace the shocks with quality new ones, I wouldn't add lift springs unless you want to lift your car at the expense of a harsher ride and worse handling.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's the speed. I don't want to crawl to work at walking pace, so I rely on dodging. In this time of year there are so many that you dodge right in to the next one. In any case i would like more ground clearance and softer ride. Coilovers? Most I see are intended to only lower the ride height. Then there are rally sets that do raise the car a bit, but cost thousands. Frustrating. And embarrasing. Western nation with roads like late 90's russia. Frick

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If you want a cheap and easy lift, I'd go with manual air shocks.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why is DA the only place you can say "i blew a troony" without getting a bunch of replies calling you a gay

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

gay.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Rock auto code for anyone interested

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I’m alright but thanks.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

WHY THE FRICK CANT I SAY ONIONS!?!
    S O Y
    O
    Y
    ONIONS ONIONS ONIONS ONIONS
    WHY DOES IT COME OUT ONIONS
    S o y

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

welcome to DA, newfriend. good to have you here.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

easiest way to make 12v socket turn off when ignition is off?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

if it's a fairly low draw port, find a fuse in your fuse box that loses power when the ignition is off, check the circuit to make sure you're not going to overload it, and add a tap and a wire to your outlet.
      if it's a high draw port, do the same, except use the fuse circuit to power a relay and power the load side from the battery direct.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Relay to keyed power

would cutting live from rear defogger switch and running it into 12v outlet instead work?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I wouldn't. What are you trying to wire up?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

convenience thing not having to worry about leaving things in 12v socket overnight. rear defogger doesn't work anyway and its circuit does not get power with ignition off.

• 3 weeks ago
            Kevin Van Dam

Just remember that defroster might be pulling off a relay, so you take the power from the relay instead the fuse box like anon said

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Relay to keyed power

I wouldn't. What are you trying to wire up?

Just remember that defroster might be pulling off a relay, so you take the power from the relay instead the fuse box like anon said

ended up using defroster circuit for power and for fun its switch as a way to cut power to 12v socket even if ignition is on. Did install 15a fuse instead of 20a one that was before.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Relay to keyed power

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

what is the best budget solution for decent hifi speakers? all I want to do is replace my dirt cheap stock front speakers (165mm 2-way) and I'm willing to spend around 100€ for a set of speakers but audiopedos keep saying that it's all pointless unless I spend 300€ on the speakers and 200€ on an amp. what's the way to go for normal people?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nah, just get whatever set of name brand speakers you can afford, they all sound pretty decent these days. The days of junk paper speakers are over.

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Door doesn’t lock
    >take door card off
    >wiggle everything around
    >door now locks
    >put panel back on
    >door doesn’t lock
    >take it off again
    >door locks
    ?????

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Something on the door panel is pinching something in the lock mechanism and keeping it from moving.

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't want to make my own thread if it's not needed so does anyone know anything about frist gen Saab 9-5's? Friend of the family is selling one with around 150k on it with a 5 spd in decent shape and I need a new daily. I know it needs 3k in work soon, so how much should I try and get it for with that in mind? Not sure about the year yet but it looks like early 00's based off my memory. Are these even reliable? I know a good Saab shop if that makes a difference. Thanks anyone I don't know hsit about these cars.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's value is the actual private party value minus $3,000, so basically zero. It'll make a terrible daily driver as being a 25 year old car it will be unreliable and parts will be scarce.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Unfortunately, some of us are only in the market for 20+ year old cars. I might actually be able to get the car for next to nothing, and I'll have to research waht you've said about parts, I know the same shop has been servicing it its entire life, so maybe they would know. I'll keep looking though, another friend is selling an 07 town car that I'm going to look at. Thanks for your input.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What fricking car is this, taken in ginza japan 70s/80s
    Can't find anything with lights that curve like that

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

mazda 3 hatch

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Light isn't curved on the inside, too much space between the side window and the rear. Unless there's another year that you're talking about

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Could cold affect your fuel pump relay somehow? Been having problems with cold starts in an 05 crown vic. Fuel pump won't even engage if it gets too cold. I'm hoping it's the relay which would be an easy fix.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yes. Wait until it acts up then see if you're getting voltage on the load side of the relay. If you aren't, there's your problem, if you are check for voltage and ground at the tank, if you have both it's your pump, if you don't check the wiring between the relay and the pump.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Im gonna go check out an 07 tundra tonight from a private seller, first time i'm attempting to buy a car. Any advice/ things I should I look out for?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

RUST!!! :0

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

check the frame thoroughly for rust, these things had a habit of rusting into nothingness. take a screwdriving and see if you can stick it through any rusty looking spots. If so either skip it or demand a massive (like 70%) discount.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

check the frame thoroughly for rust, these things had a habit of rusting into nothingness. take a screwdriving and see if you can stick it through any rusty looking spots. If so either skip it or demand a massive (like 70%) discount.

RUST!!! :0

Poster here, I bought it after taking a look at it(rust is present but doesnt seem that bad) and it has an issue of occasionally losing power while under load(i can hear sucking coming from the intake while it happens) but the seller insisted it was either a sensor issue or traction control getting finicky. Do (You) think its just a sensor or did I get majorly fricked? Havent noticed any other problems.

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wanting a WRX for my first project, likely a bugeye because I really like how werid it looks. What sort of price range should I be looking at as some one who is gonna use it to learn to wrench? I was thinking some where around 5k to start but wasn't sure how realistic that is

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

can anyone recommend a cheap deep socket wrench set that comes with an attachment for impact drivers? i cant seem to settle on one

• 3 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

Just buy the impact adapters on the side and get whatever 3/8” chrome set you want. An impact driver isn’t going to be powerful enough to require the black impact sockets, but they do tend to chew through the socket adapters over time, so any 1/4” hex to 3/8” square adapter that comes in a kit will need to be replaced soon enough. As for the adapters, the Milwaukee Shockwave ones are a couple bucks each at Home Depot and have been ok for me. For the socket set, tekton, Husky, Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. Amazon had SATA, which is Gearwrech relabeled for Amazon, there are some good deals on those socket sets.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>deep socket wrench set that comes with an attachment for impact drivers
      I've been wrenching for 30 years and I have no idea what you're asking for here.

• 3 weeks ago
        Kevin Van Dam

I’m guessing anon is talking about these. Very few kits actually come with them except for a couple small kits like this ~9pc Milwaukee 3/8” drive set. And even then nobody would buy for the socket adapter because the adapters are pretty much disposable if you have a modern brushless impact driver doing 150+ ft-lbs

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My 70 year old mother just called me asking for advice on if she should buy a car from a friend of hers. She said it's a 2013 Toyota Avalon. I don't really know anything about them, can hardly recall seeing one on the road. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they a good used buy?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

does your mom need a 3.5L v6

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They're a Camry with some luxury features. As long as her friend didn't have too many issues with hers in particular, or ignored the maitenence, it shouldn't be a terrible buy.

She has a 2004 honda atm with 200k+ miles. She is worried about getting stranded and wanted something with less miles. She didn't tell me how many miles it has though, going to go with her on sunday to check it out.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They're a Camry with some luxury features. As long as her friend didn't have too many issues with hers in particular, or ignored the maitenence, it shouldn't be a terrible buy.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I parked my new (third-hand, 10 years old) car too close to a bush. I left it there for two days, then pulled away. It is now scratched. I've done this in my previous car and it did no damage. The scratch it minor, but my pride is wounded and I worry about the effect of the damage on my car's value.

How moronic am I? Are any of my actions or worries wise?

Personally inspect and drive the car yourself. You owe your mother at least that much, even on this website.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Christ. It's a day later and I'm still pissed off.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Christ. It's a day later and I'm still pissed off.

You can fix it very easily, especially if it's not through to bare metal.

In the future, keep your car waxed and it won't scratch nearly as easily.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Oh shit. Is that why I was told to wax it? It was on my to-do list for next month.

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a leak between my new 3" downpipe and the turbo, probably because I reused the old gasket.

Will this survive the heat or should I just get new graphite gaskets?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just fix it right or you'll be fixing it again and again.

https://i.imgur.com/mS97dnH.jpeg

I'm 600 miles away from my next oil change on my 2004 100k miles car. Should I add any oil additives before the oil change? if yes, what kind? and is it a set amount of miles before or days before?

No, don't waste your money. The only additive I'd use is if the engine looks really crusty under the valve cover, I'd add a quart of ATF in the crankcase and drive it maybe 100 miles before the oil change to clean out the deposits.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Use the spray scan type better if no huge voids.

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 600 miles away from my next oil change on my 2004 100k miles car. Should I add any oil additives before the oil change? if yes, what kind? and is it a set amount of miles before or days before?

• 3 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

Throw a can of Seafoam in if you want. I do it from time to time. The math ends up being like 1/3 a can in the oil, 2/3 in the gas tank. There’s not really an exact science on mileage with that, but I would run it for a few hundred miles at least, 20 miles with Seafoam won’t do much.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

youd be better off shortening your oil change intervals than spending money on additives. have a look around the bob is the oil guy forum or oilclub if you are in the eu. if you meant additives that help with the oil change you can try some flushing stuff but id use something that isnt as agressive because of your high mileage it could frick with the seals. e.g rowe engine cleaner that is meant to be used for a while before the change. another good option is to use a cheap oil for flushing if thats what you are after

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

will a cheap one like this survive one or two timing belts?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yes

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are there any synchronization issues that might result from removing a transmission, doing work, and putting it back in?
    t. unsure if I'll brick the car because I'm missing something

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No synchronization issues, but definitely a million ways you could frick it up if you're not careful.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Like timing for an engine? No.

If you pull the clutch and don't line it back up when reinstalling you could have a problem, and some starters need to be shimmed correctly to prevent shearing off of teeth, and the only other thing I can think of is that you sometimes need to mark where the drive shaft mounted to the transmission or differential as they're balanced from the factory on some cars.

Thanks, anons. I marked the drive shaft positions just to be safe.

I've got my first auto transmission rebuild ahead of me so I'm extra paranoid with random gotchas that might force me to an hero after everything's re-assembled.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Like timing for an engine? No.

If you pull the clutch and don't line it back up when reinstalling you could have a problem, and some starters need to be shimmed correctly to prevent shearing off of teeth, and the only other thing I can think of is that you sometimes need to mark where the drive shaft mounted to the transmission or differential as they're balanced from the factory on some cars.

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Replaced my AC condenser the other day since something was flung into my grille and punctured it. Turns out it clipped the condenser fan blade, caused it to gyrate and rip itself apart when I turned it on. Is it ok to run the AC without it? I heard it can create overly high pressure in the high pressure lines, but I can't find any real proof of that. I've just been only turning it on above 30mph, since at that point the fan wouldn't be moving air any faster than that.

I did test it briefly while stationary and it still blows cold.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yes you can run without it, just if the condenser gets too hot you won't have any cooling. Could also overheat the engine depending if that fan services the radiator as well.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Thanks anon. There's a separate fan for the radiator which also still pulls air through the condenser, so I think it's probably fine until I get a replacement in.

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where can I get small paint scratches fixed without getting robbed?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Your driveway

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

which one should I get as a company car? I have a budget of 30k usd and can get a corolla or a golf.
    i care about comfiness

34. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I would think fuel injectors would make a noticeable sound if they’re powered right? I’ve tried powering them with a 9v and a 12v battery and the clips I use indicate there is current (even when I switch positive and negative)

35. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>moved to urban area, using vehicle less and less
    >forgot to reregister tags
    >bullshit county laws for tags mean I can't drive it again till October
    >cops are fricking on it, when I tried to sneak in a drive they got me within 5min of my place, told me if they caught me again I'd catch a big fine
    Any tips for keeping the battery charged on this vhicle if I can't drive it? The parking garage owner said he wouldn't mind if I drove it around the lot, but it's awfully packed and cramped to do a half hour of driving in every week.

• 3 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

There are solar battery tenders that go on the dash and plug into the 12V lighter outlet… which sort of sucks for a parking garage.

I swear I have seen something where a Youtuber has some DeWalt 20V trickle charger things, but I think he built them himself so not really a commercial fix unless the chinks copied it and put it on Amazon and Ali already.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You can disconnect the battery when you’re not using it. You could also install a kill switch (I use one that’s made for boats) so you don’t have to physically touch the battery terminal with a tool.
      The (service) manual might also tell you what fuse to disconnect to minimize current draw if you don’t want to disconnect the battery.

36. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I’m going to be called a cuck for this but I bought a new base model car with a manual and the “rev hang” makes it borderline un-drivable. As in, when I push the clutch pedal in to upshift, my tachometer kind of stalls before the rpms drop forcing me to shift slow as FRICK. I am frustrated because I specifically bought the base model to avoid the tech shit and it has a small non-essential screen and because 3 dial HVAC controls are based. but is there a legitimate technique to deal with the rev hang that doesn’t involve reflashing the ecu?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It might be different on a new car because of tech shit shifters, but a lighter flywheel would reduce rev hang and make the engine more responsive

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Noted. I’ve also noticed that if I ease out on the clutch instead of just dropping it (like in every other manual I’ve driven up to this point) it shifts a lot more smooth and less jolt-y but I worry this will cause premature wear on my clutch. It is definitely nucar tech shit for emissions garbage, supposedly to burn off any excess fuel in the combustion chamber between shifts, which I imagine is a result of direct injection shit. I’m a moron for buying a new car

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The rev hang is also a feature for normies because it makes it smoother and easier to rev match.
          That not dropping it thing might be on to something, my friend mentioned doing that once (we have the same manuals), but yeah I’ll never do that — I think it’s more of a racing technique because he drove dirtbikes. But if I could replace my clutch on my own I’d definitely try shit like that.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I should clarify, I don’t literally dump the clutch between gears, but I don’t normally pause at the engagement point; with the new manual it almost feels like you have to slip the clutch or slowly drag it past the bite point to force the RPMs down without jolting the car. I can’t imagine this is good for the clutch in any way. I’ve heard this was a problem with newer cars and I didn’t think much of it during the test drive because I was rusty but now that I’ve had it for a month and basically had to re-learn how to drive manual, I’m a bit annoyed. An ecu flash exists but do I really want to void the warranty on a one year old (admittedly non-performance) car?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I worry this will cause premature wear on my clutch.
          no you're causing normal wear on your clutch and preventing premature wear on your drive train components by shifting correctly.

37. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

> Want to get inspection done on a vehicle
    > It's not registered/has no plates
    > Don't want to pay $150+ to register it before I get the inspection done because if its fricked I'm just going to sell it and that would be $150 wasted

What should I do here? Is there any sort of allowance made for mechanics being able to drive an unregistered vehicle during the course of their duties (like a test drive during a vehicle inspection)? Will the average mechanic shop do this? Right now it has license plates on it from a neighboring state that I bought from a junk shop in town solely so that if someone from the property management company for my apartment stops by they wouldn't see a car with no plates in the parking lot (it has no tags though obviously). It's not currently being driven.

> Just get a 21 day trip permit from the DMV

The vehicle is uninsured

> Just call some mechanics and ask

It's 7:30pm where I am and they're all closed until tomorrow so I figured I'd ask here while I wait until the morning

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

can't you just do a prepurchase inspection? Once I drove a car without plates to a mechanic and they checked for me.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I already purchased the car, so it would be less of a "prepurchase inspection" and more of a "how badly did I frick up inspection".

The car runs and drives but needs some mild work, I just don't know shit about working on cars (I bought it to teach myself) and I want to have a professional give it a second look to see if anything obvious stands out so I have a better idea whether I should put any money into it or use it to teach myself how to do a few things before selling it and getting my money back.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You don't need a registration to get it inspected. When I moved I had my car inspected before I registered it in a new state.
      Unless you mean that you can't drive the car because it's not registered. I'm pretty sure there's a time limit from the day you purchased (which you should have proof of some sort like a title or receipt) and when you need to get any plates if it's not from a dealershit.

If not it's probably like $150 dollars for the tow (both ways) and inspection, a ticket is probably $250? Maybe there's a chance the judge will reduce it or get rid of it, but not having insurance is the main risk.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'm not making myself clear enough here.

During the inspection, the mechanic will do a test drive of the vehicle. My question is, what options exist (if any) for a mechanic to test drive my car while he is inspecting it if my car is not registered, has no license plates, and has no insurance?

I'm not worried about driving the car to the mechanic's shop, its literally just shy of half a mile from my apartment. I can just drive it there and leave it in their parking lot in the middle of the night the day before the appointment, and then come back in the morning to drop off the keys. After the inspection I'd just pick up the keys and then come back that night and drive it back home.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Find a mechanic that is also a dealer, they can throw a dealer plate on and their insurance policy will cover any car.
          Or just throw insurance on it and get a temporary trip tag. I've gotten insurance for a weekend before from my insurance agent, ended up costing a month's premium which was like $50.

38. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The police dont like the lights I hooked up to my #1 sparkplug

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>sparkplug
      gay

39. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i just blew my first troony. what the frick do i do now? i dont have money

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Maybe your insurance will pay for an std test

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's beyond me. Maybe theres an LGBT forum that can help you through your homosexual/transexual issues. But maybe you can make money off of gay things if that's what you're getting at

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

how do you think you blew it? Can you take out a bank loan, pull the trans, and take it to a rebuild place?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://www.reddit.com/r/TransLove/

40. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how do i sell a car for scrap and maximize the amount i get for it?
    my focus zx3 took a shit today, sheared off a serpentine belt pulley and in the process of having that fixed learned the low rumble i'd been hearing for a couple weeks was my passenger wheel bearings being torn to shreds
    needless to say this thing is totalled.
    so how do i sell a car that really shouldn't be driven anywhere, doesnt have ac, gushes coolant, and drips oil

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You can google search junk car removal and local junkyards will send someone to pick it up. They paid $300 for my suburban, but that depends on the value of your catalytic converters and how much it weighs, etc. Suburban weighs about 2x as much as a focus so my guess is you get $100 or maybe 200.

Selling or parting it out on FB/Craigslist/OfferUp will be a hassle and not worth it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

yeah i had a feeling that was going to be the answer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>how do i sell a car for scrap and maximize the amount i get for it?
      >my focus zx3 took a shit today, sheared off a serpentine belt pulley and in the process of having that fixed learned the low rumble i'd been hearing for a couple weeks was my passenger wheel bearings being torn to shreds
      >needless to say this thing is totalled.
      wtf, fixing a serpentine belt pulley and replacing a couple wheel bearings is a saturday morning job, and most people don't even care about oil and coolant leaks. it's not even close to totalled.
      I would clean it up inside and out and throw it on marketplace as a mechanics special. If it's otherwise in decent shape you could probably get $1000.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

hell i believe you, i think my dad is just tried of having to fix something for something else to break
        if i actually had a flat paved surface to use, i'd consider figuring it out myself but at this point i think im more sick of not having ac than anything else

41. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why can't my manual car hold itself in place when parked on a hill in gear? It just slowly slips in steps
    parking brake cable is broken and useless, but I'm planning on getting that replaced

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is there a difference between leaving it in 1st and reverse?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

reverse holds it a little bit better but it still rolls

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Why can't my manual car hold itself in place when parked on a hill in gear
      You have low compression.
      RIP anon's engine

42. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

im playing elden ring dlc right now

what kind of car do you imagine i drive?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

2014 kia soul

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Toyota Corolla or VW Golf/Jetta, depending on how much your student loan payments are

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

2014 kia soul

mazda 3 hatch

43. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What is the best car for an individual who wants a car so mechanically simplistic that they can use it as an introduction to how cars work, how to maintain them, how to repair them, etc.?

My friends recommended an old-timey Beetle from when they had a simple flat-4 in them, but I'm like 6'2" so I'm not sure I'd fit in one. (They are hella cute, though.)

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

manual N/A Honda like a civic or an accord.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>My friends recommended an old-timey Beetle from when they had a simple flat-4 in them, but I'm like 6'2" so I'm not sure I'd fit in one. (They are hella cute, though.)
      I'm 6'3" and can drive one with no problem at all.

• 3 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

Tbqhwy, new-ish cars aren’t that bad, and they’re more reliable. If you go with something that has OBD2 (1997+), but like pre-2010 before there were computers everywhere, it’s not bad because a scan tool will show you what is causing lots of issues. Other “pros” for the easy to wrench on… don’t get a fully loaded luxury car or a larger engine option or 4WD. I’d imagine something like an early 2000s V6 Mustang would be easy to deal with. Also it’s much easier to find info on common cars, if you have an issue with a Honda Civic, you can find a dozen Youtube videos easily on fixing it.

If you try to go with an old car that is “simple”, you may end up with something that has tons of vacuum actuated bullshit and a carb not running right because you don’t have the dark magic skills to tune it. Sure, you will never have to diagnose a bad ground to some random sensor, but you also won’t find the parts to fix it at the Advance Auto down the street.

Motorcycles are a good choice as well, simple and you’re not ripping apart your DD

44. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

is having forbidden glitter in a transfer case normal? I change it every 40k so it’s the 3rd time and it’s still sparkly. no big chunks or any issues I’ve noticed but it seems to have more particles then my trans when I do a spill and fill

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is it a gear type? If so that's pretty normal. My diff was 4x that bad after I installed one of those lunchbox lockers and new gears.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

its a chain drive. jeep JL (yeah I know "hah, gayyy")
        i've owned 4x4 before but never seen so much suspension glitter after 3 drains using atf4+, I tossed in some zf8 fluid this go round to see if I can stop the glitter stripper. if that doesnt work guess I'll try some scamsoil shit. maybe its fine but I've honestly never serviced a transfer case with this much debris in a 4x4 doesnt get used much

tl;dr its just weird, its giving me no issues, but glitter stripper usually goes away after the 1st drain and this prostitute isnt. I dont use 4x4 enough to warrant this level of particulates for 3 drain and fills to be "break in" level of stuff because thats what it looks like. "break in" shavings but im at 110k miles in 6 years

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If it's a New Process transfer case, look into the oil pump eating away at the case half. It's pretty common on NP designs. If you run a magnet in the glitter and it doesn't attract anything, it's very likely this.

I've never had glitter in the NP 207's, nor 231's, but the 241's I have, but barely noticeable on a much longer service interval than what you describe.

45. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's everyone's favorite shift knob shape?
    I'm thinking of making one for my truck but if I can buy one I'll like then that's preferable. I'm not against adapting an oem knob either if I can get one cheap.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i was not a fan of the big lever ones like that until i tried it, and i gotta say it's the best.
      you get the best of both the lever type and ball type shift knobs out of it imo, can change your grip up for comfort without it feeling strange.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Interesting. I was thinking that but I've never actually touched one so idk.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not so much a shape, but rather a style. I prefer my shift knob to be a single solid piece. Just a solid piece of plastic, metal, or rubber. I've seen shift knobs that are plastic with leather stitched around the sides. Frick that. I want my knobs to be easy to clean.

46. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I just want a tiny car. I believe the proper term is compact, subcompact, or economy, but the aim is for it to be tiny. What's good (for a tiny car)?

I rented a 2010 Honda Fit a few years ago, and for some inexplicable reason, I fell in love with it. Since then, I've been thinking about getting one of my own. I'm not married to the Honda brand, so I'm open to other options.

What I'm looking for:
    >Honda Fit sized or smaller
    >2010 or later
    >strongly prefer American, Japanese, and German makes
    >should be easily available in North America

My main driver is a Toyota Tacoma, which I'm still keeping. I just want a tiny car as a backup vehicle and to frick around with.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

if all youre buying it for is for daily transportation, then the toyota yaris is a perfect cheap penalty box that you can abuse without worry. but the honda fit is a better purchase because or its interior room

avoid anything american, the only exception is focuses and fiestas with manual transmissions

47. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how do I fix the actual cigarette lighter that pops out? the socket is fine works with USB charger. just buy a new one? ive sanded the ring I think contacts to try and get better connection.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah just replace. Not worth rigging it up and having it accidentally starting a fire when it fails to pop out.

48. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I just bought a car with a GDI engine, which I've never had before. its got 50k miles, so I assume the valves could use a cleaning. I've read its best to take out the spark plugs, turn the engine until the valve you;re working on closes, put in cleaner, then scrape the shit out. what should i scrape it with that wont scratch them and isnt at risk of breaking and falling in? I could also just soak them, close it up, and run the car, but that seems like a good way to kill a cat. I'm also gonna throw an oil catch can on it to moron the build-up going forward

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Typically 100,000 miles is sufficient, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to do it. You can probably get some sort of probe camera into the intake manifold depending on the layout to check the condition.
      I used a shitload of carb cleaner and brass wire brushes that hook up to a drill. Some people insert a bunch of zip ties into a drill. Some people use walnut shells in a sandblaster.

49. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how seriously should i take this? i assume it's a conservative estimate.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Keep it on your mind but honestly... you can get away with it for a while if you're not hooning it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i'm going to take care of it on wednesday but i'm going to drive at least 300 miles before then. as of yesterday it started creaking on turns so i'm driving very carefully until i can get that looked at (also on wednesday).

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Sounds like the power steering needs to be changed.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

the fluid is dirty i know that but it also creaks on bumps so idk

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My BMW is like 4000 miles overdue now I really should check it but its working fine & I prefer to hoon.

That doll will absolutely destroy your car tho

50. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

can someone post a clear photo of where all the coolant and vacuum hoses attach to on a 350z? (vq35DE specifically). I keep finding diagrams for the HR. Nothing for the DE.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

crap. forgot to mention i’m looking for photos of the REAR side of the motor. that’s it. yes, i know im asking for a lmgtfy.

51. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

my coolant is leaking but theres no puddle underneath.
    there seems to be no white coming out of my exaust pipe. is doing an oil change and seeing if theres any coolant in there the only way to figure out if its going into the engine? where else could it be going if it's not dripping into the ground or into the engine?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sometimes they only leak randomly while your moving. What kind of gm product are you driving?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

its a 99 avalon. there isnt even 70k on the odo and everything looks good but leaking coolant kinda worries me. i guess i'll see what's happening once i do my oil change and check if theres any coolant in the pan

52. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How am I supposed to find a 2022-2024 Honda Civic base trim 2.0L engine 6-speed manual transmission?
    They're absolute unicorns and I can't find any near me. All the manuals are the SI or Type-R model, which I don't want.
    Is it possible to bribe a dealer to get one for me? From what I'm able to tell, Honda doesn't do custom orders.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

just buy some used manual shitbox instead. The civic wont be able to do anything some used econobox with a stick can't. I'm looking at a saab near me for 1k with a 6 spd and that shit is going to cost me a tenth of what a new civic does by the time it's all set and done. I was in your position looking for a new civic and I realized how stupid it was, btw, paying 26k for an econobox and all that.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

In my mind, I'm thinking that the newer Civic will last me at least a decade and have significantly lower repair costs.
        I also like the interior.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The new civic will definitely have lower repair costs, but will be offset by a much higher upfront price. The average yearly maintence costs for a shitbox range from ~$300 to $1k depending on what it is, so it would take you decades to recoup that cost with a new car, assuming that you keep it for 20 years and never have to repair it, which is obviously unrealistic. You will always be paying more in the long run for a new car. I also really like the current gen civic when I was looking at them, I just couldn't justify the price. I'm gonna keep buying used.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>How am I supposed to find a 2022-2024 Honda Civic base trim 2.0L engine 6-speed manual transmission?
      Use a car search aggregator site like autotempest

53. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

try to adapt a twin screw supercharger to a different vehicle application (so the intake, egr, etc may be different and different locations), or go with a centrifugal that is built for it and guaranteed to bolt on?

54. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How hard is it to DIY a remap?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

its cheaper to have somebody do it for you considering cost of dyno time and cost of speeding ticket if doing it on the streets.

55. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Hi there.

Some friend recently borrowed my car I the steering wheel felt stiff the day after.

He told me he went full lock to manoeuver for about 5-6 seconds in order to park.

As you can see there is a stain on the power steering pump circled in red on the picture.

I tested the the steering ball joints left & right by lifting the front wheels and no play was diagnosed (up/down and sideways).

The steering fluid is dark and smells like steel/burnt.

This car is a '01 MK4 Ford Fiesta 1.3 petrol.

Do you think my power steering pump is gone ?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's hot cold cycle weepage, it would be alot more wet if it was leaking.

Power steering pumps can and will fail without sign of leakage.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Thanks for fedback.

Does the sudden stiffness in steering indicate a steering pump leaking/failure though ?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/kQeNmYH.jpeg

Hi there.

Some friend recently borrowed my car I the steering wheel felt stiff the day after.

He told me he went full lock to manoeuver for about 5-6 seconds in order to park.

As you can see there is a stain on the power steering pump circled in red on the picture.

I tested the the steering ball joints left & right by lifting the front wheels and no play was diagnosed (up/down and sideways).

The steering fluid is dark and smells like steel/burnt.

This car is a '01 MK4 Ford Fiesta 1.3 petrol.

Do you think my power steering pump is gone ?

It could, could also be a problem in the rack. Is it making any unusual noises? You could try completely draining the fluid and refilling with fresh and see if that helps.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No it's not making noise, either when the car is moving or not. Plus, the steering pump isn't loud when operating the car.

Yeah, the fluid is old and dirty and needs to be changed. I will first check if the fluid level diminishes and if not will replace the steering fluid.

Thanks !

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

One other thing, check the lines for a filter. I've seen power steering systems where an aftermarket filter was added which clogged restricting flow.

56. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is T-Cut a good way to fix minor scratches or is it a Boomer meme?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It works, assuming said scratches aren't too deep. T-cut is basically a more aggressive polish, so if the scratch goes through the clear coat and into the paint, then you'll likely make it look worse until you spray on some clear coat. Otherwise it does a great job of removing surface level scratches that a simple polish can't.

57. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What sort of air compressor do I need to be able to draw a vacuum on the coolant system (of a sedan) using one of those vacuum bleeding kits? Can I use a really basic battery powered compressor, or do I need a real one with some actual capacity/volume?

• 3 weeks ago
      Bepis

I highly doubt you would get very far doing that, especially with a battery powered compressor, there’s no way. Even if it were possible to rig a brake bleeder vacuum pump up to the service ports, a battery powered compressor wouldn’t do shit. You need to run a fairly strong vacuum pump for awhile to evaporate the moisture out of there and shit I believe. They do sell those goofy vacuum pumps for car ACs that run off a compressor, Harbor Freight has/had them, but those require a big compressor, and you still need the manifold. The vacuum pump and manifold kits off Amazon are only like $100 these days, still comes out cheaper than going to a shop.

https://i.imgur.com/qJx0SOD.jpeg

Going my shocks on my g35 and just trying to figure out what socket I need to get pic rel off.
      >Main bolt: 17mm
      >Inner bolt: can fit a 8mm spanner on the flat

Ugga dugga

• 3 weeks ago
      Bepis

https://i.imgur.com/GwPsZAl.jpeg

I highly doubt you would get very far doing that, especially with a battery powered compressor, there’s no way. Even if it were possible to rig a brake bleeder vacuum pump up to the service ports, a battery powered compressor wouldn’t do shit. You need to run a fairly strong vacuum pump for awhile to evaporate the moisture out of there and shit I believe. They do sell those goofy vacuum pumps for car ACs that run off a compressor, Harbor Freight has/had them, but those require a big compressor, and you still need the manifold. The vacuum pump and manifold kits off Amazon are only like $100 these days, still comes out cheaper than going to a shop.

[...]
      Ugga dugga

Disregard my moronic post. I thought you said cooling system like AC system. I shouldn’t post 5min after I wake up.

As for the cooling system, you don’t need a ton of vacuum. Pretty sure lots of those testers use hand pumps to pressurize them. Not sure about rigging up a vacuum brake pump thougb.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>What sort of air compressor do I need to be able to draw a vacuum on the coolant system (of a sedan) using one of those vacuum bleeding kits?
      You mean the air conditioning system? Look at the vacuum pump in question, it will have a cfm air flow requirement listed, just make sure your compressor exceeds that. You'll likely need at least a pancake compressor, but always go bigger than what you need as air compressors are very useful for a lot of things and are a good investment.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        Disregard my moronic post. I thought you said cooling system like AC system. I shouldn’t post 5min after I wake up.

As for the cooling system, you don’t need a ton of vacuum. Pretty sure lots of those testers use hand pumps to pressurize them. Not sure about rigging up a vacuum brake pump thougb.

thanks for your help. to be clear, I was thinking about using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW39HJS
        which uses a venturi valve to draw a vacuum, but you need compressed air

58. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I know fricking nothing about modern-ish reliable cars. What's the most generic good used car for around 20k? A to B cheap appliance cars, features not necessary. Someone asked me for advice because they knew I was into cars, and I realized I didn't have a clue about anything made after 2010.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Kias and Hyundais have gotten a lot better, and they're a lot cheaper than Toyota and Honda used. Can't go wrong with a civic or corolla. Don't buy anything made by chrysler.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

anything made by Mazda since 2013, preferably Japanese made not Mexican or American made examples.

59. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Has anyone had any experience with getting an upgraded car from a rental place?

60. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Going my shocks on my g35 and just trying to figure out what socket I need to get pic rel off.
    >Main bolt: 17mm
    >Inner bolt: can fit a 8mm spanner on the flat

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You have to be able to hold the inner while you turn the outer. Buy or rent a strut socket kit
      https://www.amazon.com/s?k=strut+socket+kit

61. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i have an old aftermarket radio in my care, the pioneer AVH-4100NEX. i want to get rid of the warning screen at the beginning, how can i?

62. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Can you change the fluid in a sealed transmission?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yes and you absolutely should every 60,000 miles regardless of the """""""lifetime""""""" guarantee.
      Depending on the car the procedure varies, usually you have to get it up to temp, drain it, them fill it through a fill port somewhere. Some cars you need to connect a scan tool to get the temperature and level. If you're careful you can measure the fluid you drain and refill the same amount, but that has risks. Check enthusiast forums or youtube for your particular car.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>you absolutely should
        Why?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The same reason you should change any oil periodically. Because fluids break down over time, don't lubricate as well, and collect dirt and contaminates which damage the transmission.

63. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are engine oil coolers just a cope for not having sufficient coolant in a block?

64. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Changing the gasket and seeing that my Coolant channels are clogged with rust (??). It's a nearly solid mass. Any recommendations on how to clear them??

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Brakeclean, a drill, and pic related

65. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

[...]

any advice? I've seen people take it off with a flat screwdriver, where exactly to I put it?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Get an "O-Ring Pick" set off Amazon. They'll usually have funny shapes and angles that will make it easy to pry up the tab without damaging it.

66. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I bought some clearcoated alloy wheels from a salvage yard and of course they're very dirty, what can I use to clean them that won't frick up the aluminum or completely destroy the clearcoat.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Use standard wheel and tire cleaning products first (foaming cleaners and iron removers). If the wheels are still dirty and it's not coming off even with multiple applications and scrubbing then you need to use something more acidic and corrosive like this:
      https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/superior-products/superior-products-1-gallon-tire-cleaner/scp0/c801

This stuff is very harsh and is mostly used by professionals so use it correctly.

67. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a 2010 Subaru legacy with 80k miles. I've been having some issues with the TPMS light coming on occasionally despite the fact that the pressure in all the tires is perfectly fine. Recently, I also had a case where the TC light and brake light came on on the dash, but went away soon.
    According to the guys at discount tire, one of my wheels is bent slightly. Is there any chance these issues are connected and that vibration from a bent/unbalanced wheel would jostle loose some connections or otherwise mess with the sensors on one wheel?

68. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Does a 1234yf leak have a smell?
    My AC has been working fine since I bought the car used 1.5 years ago but sometimes when i turn it in there's an odd plastic / "new car" ish smell to it. I had them recharge the AC when I first bought it because it wasn't that good and it's been fine since but now I kind of want to get them to look for leaks or do a pressure test idk

69. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm going to try T-Cut for the first time. Pray for me.

70. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How bad idea is buying an Charger 2011-2016? Likely closer to 2011 since I'm trying to find a r/t with under 80k miles. Are they hard to learn to work on yourself? I would have gone for the Challenger but my Wife and I will likely have kids in the next few years. Any advice on my search or what its like to own one would be appreciated.

Here's some examples of one's I've been looking at within 200 ish miles of me.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/717256293?city=Colonial%20Beach&engineCode=8CLDR&listingType=USED&listingType=CERTIFIED&makeCode=DODGE&mileage=75000&modelCode=DODCHAR&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2F8-cylinder%2Fdodge%2Fcharger%2Fcolonial-beach-va%3FlistingType%3DUSED%26listingType%3DCERTIFIED%26mileage%3D100000%26newSearch%3Dfalse%26searchRadius%3D200%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26startYear%3D2011%26transmissionCode%3DAUT&searchRadius=200&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2011&state=VA&transmissionCode=AUT&clickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/716062446?city=Colonial%20Beach&engineCode=8CLDR&listingType=USED&listingType=CERTIFIED&makeCode=DODGE&mileage=75000&modelCode=DODCHAR&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2F8-cylinder%2Fdodge%2Fcharger%2Fcolonial-beach-va%3FlistingType%3DUSED%26listingType%3DCERTIFIED%26mileage%3D100000%26newSearch%3Dfalse%26searchRadius%3D200%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26startYear%3D2011%26transmissionCode%3DAUT&searchRadius=200&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2011&state=VA&transmissionCode=AUT&clickType=listing

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dude, if you’re going to have kids and actually care about their safety, don’t put them into a 15 year old dodge, for Christ sake.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>CARS WERE TOO DANGEROUS UNTIL 3 YEARS AGO FOR SOME REASON

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

https://www.statista.com/statistics/199980/us-truck-sales-since-1951/

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Actually I guess this one would be more germane
            https://www.bts.gov/content/new-and-used-passenger-car-sales-and-leases-thousands-vehicles

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Research don't assume
        https://realsafecars.com/car/2011_dodge_charger

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>The 2011 Dodge Charger has a score of 82, implying a 0.039% chance of driver death (3.5% chance of injury).

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You’re a fricking idiot. I shouldn’t have to explain to you why a car that wasn’t even in the top 5 15 years ago is not the best choice today. I bet you think a 90’s Lexus is safe, too. Go ahead, put your wife’s kids into that drug dealer car and enjoy the process of natural selection.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Hey s_o_y chugging reddit homosexual. I grew up in the 70s and my parents' cars didn't even have seat belts, and I survived. I raised my kids in the 90s to early 00s and we never had car seats or seat belts or air bags, and they're alive and well. Eat shit with your nanny state safety garbage you tesla driving fruit.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I have no fricking argument so I’m going to sperg out like a moronic boomer
            You unfortunately got lucky and made it this long, but don’t choose to put new kids into a comparatively unsafe car for no reason. I’ve personally never owned a car past 2005, but you can’t bet your ass I wouldn’t be caught dead driving my kids around in this thing, because I actually care about them.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What a homosexual. You have the illogical mind of a woman. GTFO off this board.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You first dipshit, the future is now old man. This is probably larp anyways, DA wasn’t always filled with homosexuals like you so I wouldn’t be surprised if this was simply pure projection.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yikes! Some people just can't accept being wrong, even with the proof right in front of them.

71. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>AC isnt blowing artic wind
    Is this enough of a reason to visit a shop?

72. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How often should I drain, flush and replace my coolant on a 2014 Mazda 3? I haven't done it once since buying new, but I didn't drive this one very often, only 30k miles.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Every 5 years or 50k. Use a good quality japanese coolant that is compatible with the mazda spec.

73. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's the quick rundown on marine engine oil and can I use it in my scooter engine? The little thing is running at high rpm (6-8k) constantly sort of like a marine engine does and is already specced for that range oil weight I saw. Does my engine being air cooled make a difference?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'd just use a good synthetic that meets the spec specified by the engine manufacturer.

74. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm moving soon and I have a small enough amount of stuff that it doesn't make sense to rent a moving truck or whatever, but enough that I don't think I can fit all the boxes under a tonneau cover in my midsize truck. I'll be driving 8-10 hours so I don't need to worry about leaving stuff in the truck overnight, but I don't want somebody to be able to grab stuff out of the bed while I'm taking a shit in a truck stop or whatever. Does anybody have any ideas for how to secure the stuff enough to deter/prevent that kind of casual theft?

I was thinking of getting one of these heavy-duty webbing cargo nets and then lacing a steel cable through it and padlocking that, or something, but I'm open to other ideas.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

rent a uhaul cargo trailer, the small 4'x8' or 5'x8' is only like $20

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        The trailers are the patrician choice, you don’t have to pay mileage on them like the $19 van. But the cost goes up a whole lot if you’re returning it to a different location.

I've done the U-Haul trailer thing before but it fricking sucks, it means having to go 20-30mph slower than I would without it, using way more gas, and dealing with the hassle of maneuvering and parking a trailer. I really don't have that much shit anyway, like if I had a camper shell I could easily fit everything in it, it's just enough that my boxes are gonna be stacked two high so they'll be like 6in above the bed rail.

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

rent a uhaul cargo trailer, the small 4'x8' or 5'x8' is only like $20

The trailers are the patrician choice, you don’t have to pay mileage on them like the $19 van. But the cost goes up a whole lot if you’re returning it to a different location.

75. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

when should you be changing oil if you're barely driving? my car has 215k miles, but i'm not driving 500mi/mo

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

once a year if using synthetic, late spring and late autumn for non-synthetic

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

makes sense, thanks

76. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is this a sway bar or a stabilizer bar?

What the hell is the difference?

Off an '85 K20.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What makes you think there's a difference?

77. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

can coolant leak disturb cam sensor?

78. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Can I put a simple valve on my heater core or do i need a bypass H piece?

79. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where is a good place to get an unnecessarily loud horn replacement for a 2012 Nissan Juke? The OEM one is too quiet and I could probably yell out my window louder than it.

I know you can put truck or train horns in, but I'm not experienced enough to install the necessary equipment for it, so it'll have to be something I can just swap in.

Pic related is from the Nissan parts site.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loud+car+horn

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I hate Chinkazon and don't trust it. I'm sure there are more specialty places online that sell them for a better price per DB, I just don't know them.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it's all the same stuff that comes out of the same chink factories whether you buy it from amazon or a mom and pop. use google shopping to search around different small stores if you want.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Follow-up question to this:

What's actually considered "loud" for a horn? I've seen some from Hella at 115-118 dB. I know that's loud in general and can cause hearing damage, but what's the average horn measure at?

80. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

for cleaning dirt/salt off zerk fittings and around them, what cleaner would be best, that won't harm the rubber boots, contaminate the grease or rust the metal?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i usually just brush them with a brass or nylon brush real quick, if you wanted extra clean, a spritz of carb cleaner in addition wouldn't hurt anything.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

brake cleaner

thanks anons, I will try those

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

brake cleaner

81. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is there an easy way to tell a Ford Eaton M90 from a GM one?

The Ford ones are like 3x more expensive online, so I’m hoping I can find one locally for cheaper, but I want to be able to make sure I’m buying the right thing (if I’m not taking it directly off the car)

Thanks

82. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My 07 Jeep Liberty sport 3.7 automatic, has issues reversing even on flat but worse going up hill, it rumbles a bit and feels like its having a hard time reversing, I have to rev harder than I feel I should to get it to reverse. It also has issues up gearing when I'm accelerating too quickly, it'll get past 5000 rpm before the gear will switch. It's the worst going from 3 to 4. I'm sure these issues are probably related to transmission. Anyone successfully fix these issues? Is it a sign the whole troony's going out or could flushing and changing the troony fluid at least make it better?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It would be worth draining and replacing the transmission fluid. You could also try pulling codes from the TCU with a scan tool and researching the cause of any codes. Most likely your transmission is fricked though, these didn't have very good transmissions to begin with and you're probably running it on 18 year old fluid because normies can't ever do preventative ATF changes for some reason.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>for some reason
        Most people don't think about changing more than oil and coolant until something goes wrong. No one except mechanics knows that you're supposed to change troony fluid. Have you never worked on a modern car? Most took out the troony dipstick and have closed systems now, the manufacturers don't want you to check it or change it, they want you to buy a new troony. I guarantee you didn't know to check or change it until some mechanic or your daddy told you to.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I guarantee you didn't know to check or change it until some mechanic or your daddy told you to.
          I guarantee you're wrong. I've been wrenching on cars since before you were a zygote, kid.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I've been wrenching on cars since before you were a zygote, kid.
            And you just inherently knew to change the troony fluid the moment you were born? No one cares how old you are narcissist.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>you can't know how to properly maintain a car, you just can't OK!!!!
            God the newbie zoomers on this board get stupider by the week.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You had to pretend I said something I didn't say to respond, common narcissist trait. If you can't handle seeing people ask questions, maybe don't go into questions threads.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Oh yeah, well here are some psychobabble terms I got from my favorite tik tok channel
            Jesus christ get off this board, zoomer.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Narcissistic Personality Disorder is tiktok psychobabble
            Lol, guessing this isn't the first time someone called you a narcissist. Take your meds boomer.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>NTA

As someone with BPD, I know too well that you sadly cannot medicate a personality disorder. The only treatment is therapy.

>The more you know

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My 08 Liberty made it to 350k miles on the stock transmission but I had to flush that fricker 5 times and even then it almost broke. They like to go out at this point in the car’s life but try flushing it first.

83. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's the worst that can happen installing a dashcam (front + rear, hardwire kit) wrong? It's my first time, car's an XC40 Recharge, dashcam's VIOFO A229 Plus 2CH. Never worked on cars, so I'm not even sure how to ground the cable.

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

Get a test light maybe, they’re cheap. A multimeter would be good too but there’s a learning curve. A smart test light that tells you 12V + and GND will be like $10-$15 and help you. Ground on most cars is basically anything metal that’s part of the boddy, the + (red) from the battery goes to power everything, the - (black) from the battery is connected to the frame. So if you want to power anything, you need the + and -, so you run the + (red) wire off the fuse box or something with power, and a shorter GND (-/black) straight to a metal part of the car body to complete a circuit.

Worst case, you break some of those lame plastic clips, maybe blow a fuse, maybe wire it up to a wrong circuit and your battery is dead and you need a jumpstart tomorrow. Find a good guide on Youtube.

84. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I haven’t rotated the tires on my AWD car in about 20k miles. At this point should I just ride the current tires until they wear out and avoid rotating? Or should I just go ahead and rotate?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>At this point should I just ride the current tires until they wear out and avoid rotating?
      Why would you?

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

Do you want to have super worn front tires and 75% back tires in another 20k miles? Or do you want to have 50% left on each in 20k miles? If you about to change them in the fall for brand new, then do whatever you want.

85. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Has anyone ever bought a timing belt kit from aliexpress? They're like 1/10th of the price, but my engine is interference so I'm a bit nervous about the quality.

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

Kek. What are RockAuto prices like? I don’t think I would ever do a kit like that on an interference engine without a name brand behind it. It’s a 1 in 100k mile job, 100% chance your engine is fricked if there’s issues with the part. I don’t even like doing ebay or amazon on anything non-aesthetic because so much of it works and fits technically but substantially different from OE. And gaskets and such, always OE or good aftermarket and that’s just a leak wiith more labor rather than a 1.8T grenade.

https://i.imgur.com/LTROUrT.png

How the frick do I into cars?
      I'm going to be completely honest and admit the most I've done with a car is drive it and swap the air filter.
      What's the best possible resource to start learning how to not be moronic when it comes to doing car shit?
      Currently driving a 2010 mazda 6 GS, chose it because it looked nice and I could afford it, based on my 0 professional knowledge I think it's pretty nice.

Go do an oil change. Find a maintenance schedule for your car, then find Youtube vids on how to do the job.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Go do an oil change. Find a maintenance schedule for your car, then find Youtube vids on how to do the job.
        Well shit, I didn't realize it'd be that straightforward, thanks.

86. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How the frick do I into cars?
    I'm going to be completely honest and admit the most I've done with a car is drive it and swap the air filter.
    What's the best possible resource to start learning how to not be moronic when it comes to doing car shit?
    Currently driving a 2010 mazda 6 GS, chose it because it looked nice and I could afford it, based on my 0 professional knowledge I think it's pretty nice.

87. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why won't my new OBD11 connect to my car. It reads the battery voltage, but doesn't find the VIN or connect to any of the modules.

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

>OBD11
      It’s because you bought a scan tool from the future and we’re only on OBD2.

>Go do an oil change. Find a maintenance schedule for your car, then find Youtube vids on how to do the job.
      Well shit, I didn't realize it'd be that straightforward, thanks.

It’s so easy with the internet as long as you got the tools and a clear guide, especially for basic maintenance stuff. The difficulty is in diagnosing things that aren’t straightforward, like a small vacuum leak or random misfire code. And if you live somewhere that has road salt in the winter, rust is annoying, but it’s something you learn to overcome and grab a couple special tools like a torch and bolt extractors and it’s just another part of the job.

Brake jobs, rotors and pads, are a real good starter job to give you some confidence if you want to get beyond oil changes. Plus you feel good about yourself because a shop probably wants $300-$400+ per axle for an old Camry. So you can drop <$200 on parts from RockAuto and save yourself $600 in an afternoon. Hell, even if you spend $200-$300 on a jack, some stands, and a socket set to do that job, you still saved $300 and have the tools for the next job.

Changing your serpentine belt is another good preventative maintenance thing that’s cheap and will give you some knowledge. If you get that done, then whenever your alternator or water pump dies, you will already know how to get halfway into the job.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Does the car run? Does a regular OBD scantool work?

88. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why are cool cars always sports cars?

Driving a C8 right now, was looking at getting a 2nd car for when I actually need space or passengers, but there’s no car I even somewhat want to drive that’s not also a 2 seat sports car.

The closest is an LC500 but that’s barely any better.

89. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is there a cheap way to Black person-rig a smoke test for my EVAP system to find a leak? I saw some people use just regular smoke machines like for party's but I'm not paying $60+ for something I'll use once, if I can blow something else through there. How stupid would it be to give my homosexual vaper neighbor $20 to blow clouds through my system?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

kek I'd do it.
      I'm a smoker and I've done it with cigarette smoke before.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I smoke, but I figured the smoke from cigarettes wouldn't be enough.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it depends on how far away the leak is from where you blow it in. vape probably would be better since there's more of it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>How stupid would it be to give my homosexual vaper neighbor $20 to blow clouds through my system?
      not going to be enough smoke to work and it needs to be under slight pressure.
      i would recommend buying the smoke machine, they're like $90 and I use mine all the time for all sorts of things, I've probably used it literally 20 times in the two years since I bought it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>How stupid would it be to give my homosexual vaper neighbor $20 to blow clouds through my system?
      i would recommend buying the smoke machine, they're like $90 and I use mine all the time for all sorts of things, I've probably used it literally 20 times in the two years since I bought it.

oh and I left out the helpful part, if you simply can't buy a smoke machine:
      1. put a small amount of pressure in your evap system (use a compressor with like a 1-2 PSI air pressure regulator -- NOT higher), connect it to your EVAP system
      2. use your scantool to close the canister vent valve and the purge valve
      3. spray the tank and every hose and fitting with soapy water. If you have a leak, it will bubble at that spot.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Idk, he has guys coming over all the time and he looks like the bottom type, I bet he could get some pressure going ;).
        But yea the soapy water idea sounds good, I have a smaller 1/3 HP air compressor for my airbrush and bet that'd work.

90. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how much is it gonna cost to fix this if i buy it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Google it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

DIY: $1000 for a junkyard engine and a weekend
      Independent shop: $5,000 for a used engine with labor
      Dealer: $20,000 for a new engine with labor

91. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

[...]

/hg/ hasn't been too helpful with this, but basically my speedometer doesn't work right and I think that the thermostat housing that it grounds to needs to be replaced, even though I (tried) to clean the surface that the ground bolt goes into.

I also have a wire that I don't think should be getting voltage, but what's the likelihood that replacing just the thermostat housing solves this issue? I really don't know how grounds work, and I don't have a way to attach this wire to an alternate ground for testing.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

before replacing anything, run a wire from that ground wire to the battery negative. if it doesn't fix it, a new housing won't either.
      get a scan tool that can read live data and read the actual raw output of the VSS, it would be helpful to know if the sensor is bad or if it's in the speedometer.

92. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

test

93. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

what's a decent ebay obd2 reader? or any cheapo chink one will do? anything to look out for?

• 2 weeks ago
      Bepis

Whatever bluetooth one works well with your car. My $25 Veepeak bluetooth reader has more functionality on certain cars than my $125 Autel standalone unit. But it varies a lot by make of car, whether you’re using a PC, iOS, or Android, and what kind of apps are out there.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

gonna be using it mainly for toyotas, and with a windows pc (ideally)
        was thinking of getting one of those $30 ebay ones

94. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My truck calls for 75w85, can I use 75w140 instead.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It won’t notice.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

only if you want to ruin it

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *