SQTDDTOT STUPID QUESTIONS

/qtddtot/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Hybrid edition

(If I buy a 2010 150k mile Lexus hybrid will it be more expensive than dealing with a Prius in case it needs a new battery or something else?)

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>drove towards the sun for 2 hours
    >vision turned blue/purple for a few hours
    1. did I permanently damage my eyes?
    2. what sunglasses should I look for? regular or polarized, and do they make it hard to see traffic lights and brake lights?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Your eyes will be fine. Get polarized. No.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>1. did I permanently damage my eyes?
      windshields block 100% of UV light. richard feynman watched the trinity nuclear explosion through a car windshield.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you will notice a difference in quality between brands, oakley and some polarized glasses designed for fishing are top notch, while your gas station glasses may not be as good
      imo the best is a cheap $30 pair of polarized aviators that you got at walmart

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>regular or polarized,

non-polarized if you can find one, many new windshields are already polarized or has plastic layers that polarize light and it will frick with your vision, being a fricking annoyance.

That being said finding glasses that are non-polarized is a fricking b***h apparently with a lot of shit on the market, advertised as non-polarized but you get the shit in hand and it is.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You might as well be walking on the sun

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>(If I buy a 2010 150k mile Lexus hybrid will it be more expensive than dealing with a Prius in case it needs a new battery or something else?)

No. There are companies making third party aftermarket batteries and you'd buy pretty much the same battery for a Prius or for that Lexus. Battery replacement is generally gonna run about $2K for the battery and $1K for the installation and you'll need to find a shop that does it.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

give it to me straight bros. what are the EXPECTED problems I’d run into if I ever bought an older hawkeye STI? I’m not interested in the newer models and I don’t mind doing REASONABLE work on it. I draw the line at taking the motor completely out of the engine bay. I’m always in awe when I see these things on the road. They just look so fricking good. Shame the factory motor seems to be useless dogshit if it’s ever pushed around more than it likes.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

subarus have the easiest engines to pull from the engine bay. don't be afraid to pull the motor for work.

is there a benefit to adjusting your valve lash to either the higher or lower end of the tolerance?

set them to the looser end of the tolerance.

https://i.imgur.com/lxlters.png

What the frick is wrong with this car: KMHD74LF5KU887333

Interior and exterior look clean and the only reported accident is listed as minor damage to the front left, but the front left looks fine in the pictures and has a consistent lighting with the right headlight. It was reported stolen back in november so I'm thinking there's something mechanical they're hiding, Would a 20 dollar scanner show faults even if they were recently cleared or will I have to test drive for a bit

those hyundais lose their value faster than any other car right now. they are well-known ticking time bombs. the engines are prone to failure, they become oil burners, burn holes in the pistons, etc. the motors are not rebuildable, no one will rebuild one for you. hyundai has a huge inventory of replacement long blocks on standby at the dealers, they know it's a problem. the people that buy these things generally don't do much maintenance either. people make fun of Subaru and the EJ engines for blowing head gaskets but these are much much worse.
      That said, it might be a nice cheap modern beater, but sell it when you pass 80K miles.

Went to go see a 200k+ mile Ls400 some guy was selling for 5 grand. I was going to buy it but when I took it for a test drive, the car made a high pitched noise when I turned the steering wheel. I figured the power steering pump went bad and as soon as I brought it back, I got out of the car to check underneath to see any more problems. I saw what I thought was oil leaking from the bottom of the engine and running towards the driveshaft. I asked the owner about it but he had no idea that it was leaking. I also asked if the timing belt was changed but he couldn't remember the last time it was changed. I gave him a offer for 3k because I told him that I would be spending a couple grand on fixing the problems but he turned it down, so I left

Did I dodge a bullet for not buying it, or were the problems easily fixable? I'm starting to feel regret for missing out on purchasing it.

you probably dodged a bullet. car probably needed a timing belt and some other maintenance stuff that should be done already for that asking price. There will always be new listings in the future, you'll find one that is a way better deal than this dude's shitbox. Remember you're looking at LS400's, they aren't rare or scarce.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

of course you fricking morons know nothing about enthusiast cars. disregard my post.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

is there a benefit to adjusting your valve lash to either the higher or lower end of the tolerance?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Theoretically longer service life. But then you'd have to know in advance if the clearance will get smaller or higher with wear. As in you'd have to know if your valves are going to sink in the stems or if your cams are going to wear.

Just go for the middle.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Clearance will always increase over time. Greater clearance is helpful to prevent damage from contamination in industrial applications or allowing for higher rpm race operation when there is less time for valves to seat.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How do i get horny men to have sex with my anus (boy pussy)?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Hello

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Europoor here. What would be a fun to drive, small car that manages good fuel economy and has a bit of power (above 120hp)?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Can you get your hands on a Golf IV 1.9 TDI with the 130hp engine? The 150 hp version eats camshafts.

It's a 20 year old car, but it will easily do 6L/100km (Less if you put on an aerodynamic flat floor and other minor homebrew aero mods)

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The Golf IV is not sporty.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Anon said "has a bit of power while getting good fuel mileage", not "is sporty".

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Well, he did specify the car being fun to drive (I personally equate this with the car having sporty driving dynamics), and the MKIV chassis is a snoozefest.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you had about a $15k-ish soft budget and you were going to buy a USED do everything/commuter vehicle that could occasionally seat 4 adults, what would you buy? I live in the suburbs/outskirts of a large southern city.

BTW, I don't really want 4cyl/FWD, I'm just tired of that at this point. I've owned only coups or sedans, but I'm open to all vehicle types. Cool, neat, nice or uncommon is a bonus.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Chrysler 300

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Im not sure if this is a joke but I know someone who has one. Is it built like a Chrysler aka ready to break at any moment?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Reliability is average

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Im not sure if this is a joke but I know someone who has one. Is it built like a Chrysler aka ready to break at any moment?

Agreed, not sure if it's a joke. I do worry about longevity and I can't help but thinking it's a car for a certain demographic. I will look them up in detail to get a feel for how reliable they actually are. Honestly, though, I think I would only own such a car with a v8 and those are out of my price range.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Bmw X5
      GMT 800
      Land cruiser/lx470
      You Probably have to get something a few years older than whatever is in those pics

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Thank you for the recomendations.

I would be worried about repairs on the x5, but I don't really know a lot about them. It's just that BMWs don't have the best reputations for repair cost. They do seem reasonably priced for what they are, though. I will look into it.

I was looking at GMT-800 series vehicles. Even some newer Escalades are available around 100k miles...but they have 8 speed troony issues.

Like you said, LC/lx470s are not cheap. I would be at about a 2007 model, 150k mi, for like $19k according to autotrader.

Just to clarify, in case anyone might be willing to make suggestions. I didn't mean in my post that I don't want sedans/coups, just in case I gave that impression. Just not 4cyl/FWD anything. Thanks.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

The BMW SUVs are pretty solid. you have to look into the cars history, make sure its well maintained and not modified or abused.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

There was a pzev hybrid GMC Yukon with a prius style e-cvt. It could run fully electric for a few minutes at a time at low speeds (60hp electric motors) and the 6.0 could pull pretty hard in it. That seemed pretty neat

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Do not listen to

The BMW SUVs are pretty solid. you have to look into the cars history, make sure its well maintained and not modified or abused.

The X5's are not solid and are the same as the 5 series sedan in terms of reliability. X3's are the ideal for size and practicality with sportiness.

I love how X5's drive but unless you have a massive budget for maintenance every 6-12 months save yourself the heartache and get something less troublesome.

Be prepared for all sorts of issues within the next 10k miles (if they aren't already present) on either of those cars including:

Xenon headlight/module failure
          valve cover, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan, oil pressure sender leaks.
          Transfer case seal leaks (for the xDrives)
          front(xdrive)/rear differentials that are made of glass
          vapor barrier leaks
          sunroof cassette issues
          valvetronic failure
          rod bearings or cylinder failure
          rear spring (or air springs if it has them) cracks
          front control arm ball joint play
          thrust arm/tension strut bushing cracks

and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. People don't take care of these because they either can afford them or because the places they take them too are moronic and shouldn't be working on them to begin with.

If you're super sweet on one, get one with the best, most expensive warranty you can find - only then will you get your money's worth.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

depending on how much you make, you can take advantage of the used ev tax credit and buy a model 3/y for 25, get the credit so it's 18000, which is a little out of your budget, but driving at $4/gallon the $3000 difference will pay for itself in less than a year.

Only real problem is people think you're not poor, in my city that's a problem.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Wow, I will look into this credit. I make 85k.

Noted. That's also what I was reading after some googling.

There was a pzev hybrid GMC Yukon with a prius style e-cvt. It could run fully electric for a few minutes at a time at low speeds (60hp electric motors) and the 6.0 could pull pretty hard in it. That seemed pretty neat

Thanks!

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

One of my tires (rear left) has a small leak I can't find and over time drops to 1.5 bar while the rest stay at 2.2.
    Is this an issue? Can't say I really notice it. My car is FWD.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

i assume you've covered it in soap and looked for bubbles? it really works. can listen close too to find the general area.

otherwise a slow leak is annoying but will only hurt your fuel economy and maybe grip in some cases. not a huge deal on the rear

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looking to get my first truck, under 15k V8, crew cab, 4x4. Is this reasonable? What brands should I be considering? My Dad says I should only buy domestic because of parts, but he also says to avoid Dodge. Not sure how true either of these are

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Dodge encodes their OBD2 shit so... dealership visit every time your check engine light comes on. I flat out refuse to purchase a Chrysler product.. they're ALWAYS on the 'worst of the worst' lists (mainly Jeep, but considering it's a GO-TO for your avg. SUV buyer.

Also I fricking hate modern GM... They're building shit motors now a days, interiors feel cheap

Ford has been doing pretty well, the 5.0 V8 is a pretty stout motor, I don't know much about the 'new' new ones, but the 2015-2017s are good, the 2018 they were having oil burn issues with the new version of the motor, and they got better.. but you're going to be paying OUT THE ASS for a truck modern day.. I was looking for a 2016/2017 5.0 V8 under 80k and the ones that weren't beat to shit were running over 35k in my area. Otherwise, Toyotas been doing decent with their trucks, but same issue, fricking expensive as piss for twice the 'beating' and miles as the Fords.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Also, to mention, I dont know where you live, or what you do, but SUV's do have a lot of versatility. A truck is much more desirable for... moving furniture, mulch, outdoor equipment, etc. I ended up settling for (another) SUV as truck prices are fricking insane.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Dodge encodes their OBD2 shit so... dealership visit every time your check engine light comes on. I flat out refuse to purchase a Chrysler product.. they're ALWAYS on the 'worst of the worst' lists (mainly Jeep, but considering it's a GO-TO for your avg. SUV buyer.

Also I fricking hate modern GM... They're building shit motors now a days, interiors feel cheap

Ford has been doing pretty well, the 5.0 V8 is a pretty stout motor, I don't know much about the 'new' new ones, but the 2015-2017s are good, the 2018 they were having oil burn issues with the new version of the motor, and they got better.. but you're going to be paying OUT THE ASS for a truck modern day.. I was looking for a 2016/2017 5.0 V8 under 80k and the ones that weren't beat to shit were running over 35k in my area. Otherwise, Toyotas been doing decent with their trucks, but same issue, fricking expensive as piss for twice the 'beating' and miles as the Fords.

I don’t know what years it changes by, but this JScan app plus a $25 Veepeak bluetooth scanner has given me some of the best access to info and commands of any iOS app I have found. I think it was $10 or $20 per VIN to get full acess, but that’s totally worth it most of the time you need to dig deep. Haven’t used it on any like 2020+ Jeeps tho.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I need one of these to protect my leather interior but also have a phone mount on the windshield. What do?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

move your phone mount...

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

nah

https://i.imgur.com/rvRZ1or.jpg

Cut a hole in it.

might actually do this

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Cut a hole in it.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Also is this fricked? Is leatherique appropriate now or not yet?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Pls respond

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Any motorhome Anons here? Which chassis should I look for? F53 or P30?

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is direct injection really that bad in terms of building carbon on an engine? Like what would hypothetically happen if I never cleaned the intakes after 150-200k miles?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Is direct injection really that bad in terms of building carbon on an engine?
      Yes
      >Like what would hypothetically happen if I never cleaned the intakes after 150-200k miles?
      Would begin to misfire as carbon keeps valves from closing completely. Eventually would get bad enough the engine wouldn't run properly.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I have a DI that just started misfiring today, I've got 2 codes "random misfire" and "cyl3 misfire"

Only 30k miles, probably not built up but ugggggg not sure what to start with first

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

hook up a scan tool that can read the actual misfire counter and see if you're getting mainly on 1 or 2 cylinders or if it's across the board
          if 1 or 2 cylinders, swap the coils and plugs with known good cylinders to see if the misfire moves
          also check your fuel trims to see if it's running rich or lean and if you're getting unusual reading from your MAF and MAP sensors

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What the frick is wrong with this car: KMHD74LF5KU887333

Interior and exterior look clean and the only reported accident is listed as minor damage to the front left, but the front left looks fine in the pictures and has a consistent lighting with the right headlight. It was reported stolen back in november so I'm thinking there's something mechanical they're hiding, Would a 20 dollar scanner show faults even if they were recently cleared or will I have to test drive for a bit

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That was an $18k car when new. What did you think it would be worth 5 years later?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I thought it would be more expensive tbh

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Easy to steal. Also thats pretty expensive for one of that age

• 1 month ago
        Bepis

I thought it would be more expensive tbh

Call your insurance company before buying a Hyundai or Kia as well, make sure you get a quite for that model and whatever zip code you live/work in. I thought I heard of insurance companies not wanting to insure those things because #KiaBoyz

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>What the frick is wrong with this car
      It's a Hyundai.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

brand new tires. got a nail through the edge of the tread where the sidewall starts. yeah i put a plug in it, i know it's not recommended. but how far/fast might i reasonably expect to use it before the repair fails?

it's a tiny 175/65/14 on a sub-2500lb econobox, so we're not talking track durability here.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Does it touch the pavement? If so and it’s a clean hole, might be ok or leak like 10psi a month.

If I get one off to the side a bit, I will normally run that tire like 10psi low for a couple days so that surface is in contact with the road. The plugs vulcanize as you drive and they get warmer from the road and friction.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

that's a great idea. i don't think it's touching the road most of the time so i'll let out a bit of air to soften it. only gone 14km on it so far but it's holding up. i also moved it onto the rear axle.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Been looking for a car for months that I can hold onto forever until they decide to officially axe gas cars.
    $20k out the door 2015 Camry XLE. Should I be worried if the carfax says the transmission was replaced last year? <50k miles, so I imagine that I can ride it forever until I need to worry about repairs.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Should I be worried if the carfax says the transmission was replaced last year?
      that's a good sign the owner wasn't a dipshit and actually replaced stuff when needed.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

That was my first thought, but then I was wondering why it would need to be replaced so early. Everything else about it seems like the perfect old man car pick up, which is right up my alley.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>but then I was wondering why it would need to be replaced so early
          Just how it is sometimes

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Went to go see a 200k+ mile Ls400 some guy was selling for 5 grand. I was going to buy it but when I took it for a test drive, the car made a high pitched noise when I turned the steering wheel. I figured the power steering pump went bad and as soon as I brought it back, I got out of the car to check underneath to see any more problems. I saw what I thought was oil leaking from the bottom of the engine and running towards the driveshaft. I asked the owner about it but he had no idea that it was leaking. I also asked if the timing belt was changed but he couldn't remember the last time it was changed. I gave him a offer for 3k because I told him that I would be spending a couple grand on fixing the problems but he turned it down, so I left

Did I dodge a bullet for not buying it, or were the problems easily fixable? I'm starting to feel regret for missing out on purchasing it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The oil leak was probably power steering fluid. And the squeeling sound was probably a belt.

You're a moron for having second thoughts about not spending $5000 on a car that had problems that the owner didn't disclose or acknowledge, he's probably a flipper who bought it for $1000, and didnt fix anything.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is it wrong for me to like the G-Wagon? I dunno it's just so boxy. All the 90 degree angles give me a stiffy.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Its a nice car, not just for the style but for capabilities, build quality and performance. thats why they are pretty expensive. As for being literally aroused by the car, I find that to be very wierd. Unless you closely associate it with the high class prostitutes that tend to drive them

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Where the front fender and the strut meets, I have a bit of a crack at the seam seal. Not sure how serious this is other frame, or if it calls for additional support through a strut or fender brace, or maybe just welding. Circled in blue.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The other day I was on the highway and in front me was an old pickup truck. It was driving straight, but it wasn't pointed straight. That's the best way I can describe it. It was definitely pointed slightly to the right but it was moving straight ahead anyway. it didn't look very good for the wheels or tires. Once I saw what was going on I gave it some distance. What causes this?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It's called dog tracking

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Damage to frame or suspension

https://i.imgur.com/S2HOWE2.jpg

Where the front fender and the strut meets, I have a bit of a crack at the seam seal. Not sure how serious this is other frame, or if it calls for additional support through a strut or fender brace, or maybe just welding. Circled in blue.

If it really bother you, fill it with epoxy. It's not a problem, though.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Damage to frame or suspension
        Wrong

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Nice post

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What are the odds of a used Alfa shitting out me in a year?

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How do I learn how a cam works?
    I'm a moron who has started rebuilding 4stroke gokart race engines, now I want to play and actually "build something".
    A lot of guides are for minibikes and not race style karts.

I have learned how to read a cam sheet, I understand to a degree, how lift/duration/overlap work.

But like .... How do I pick a cam for use at our specific track?
    How do these cam values play with each other?

We have a lot of tight turns where the engine bogs down, how can I prevent that, while still having enough power at high RPM on the straits and etc

I swear the god the answer better not be "buy 20 and start mathin"

23. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Hows fords in general? I an eurogay that really loves the bodywork of most fords but they have quite a bad rep in where I live

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Ford Trucks and bigger SUVs have always been nice and they put some effort into them, but Ford Econoboxes can be meh. If you can get a good deal on a low mileage focus or fiesta though while a similar Honda is 2x-3x the price because of muh Jappo reliability tsx, it could be worth it.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

thanks anon good to know. I personally like econoboxes so might be a tough find

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is there a good book on engine building? I have been toying with suspension and aero, and I have textbooks on the subject, but I don't actually understand what makes a compression ratio more apt for an application or how engine building is brought into a discipline. I'm trying to build my first engine, but I don't know where to start.

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are VW GTIs particularly unreliable? I want something to learn manual one but also something relatively fun and practical. Live in USA if that makes a difference. I hear all the time about how shit German cars are but wasn't sure if this falls into that as well

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I have a GLI, the sedan version of the GTI. It's quite good, but you do have to do your maintenance on time. The advantage is that you're going for the manual version, so DSG maintenance goes out the window. They're fun little cars, and they will work as long as you keep up with them. It's not like a Japanese car, where you can just neglect it for a bit if you're short on cash. You have to do the scheduled maintenance and watch for weird shit in them.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Anon, nice to hear someone actually enjoying their car for once. When I'm looking at mileage on a used one is that much different than Jap cars? Or should it be shooting for as low as possible? Never owned a German car before so theres a lot I'm unsure about

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

You want to aim under 100k, but that shouldn't be a challenge. GTIs are plentiful, the MKVII is where it's at, as the MKVIII has those god awful touch climate controls and is actually a bit of a downgrade on the interior. Make sure you get a service history with it, as that's more important than anything else. Forego modded examples, as those are usually ran into the ground. Make sure to check for leaks, especially coolant leaks. When you inspect it, make sure they haven't warmed it up. Check the coolant reservoir for oil, as well as dripping and white/pink residue on hoses under the intake manifold. A common fialure point for these cars is the water pump housing. It leaks randomly, and it is something you'll eventually have to do. Make sure you don't have any weird ticking noises as camshaft wear is becoming an issue due to lack of oil. If the car is over 40kmi, ask if it has ever had the valves cleaned, and if it hasn't, plan to do that yourself. I wish you the best of luck, and welcome to the vaggot club.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Really appreciate the break down. Thanks a lot!

https://i.imgur.com/qs7UlfC.png

Idk how poor you are, but picrel is very practical on a budget. Something like a low priced GTI is probably going to be a pain in the ass, especially if you take a while to learn how to drive properly.

I'm sub 30k a year poor but my Wife makes a bit more than me so not too bad combined. Depending on whats in my area I'll consider the Aveo as well, thanks for the suggestion

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Early 00s Hyundais are good and cheap too. And there's still a few 90s Toyota corollas. Subarus are really cheap this time of year as well, but you should be aware of Subaru issues before getting one. They are amazing for harsh weather and 90% are wagons with roof racks so they are great for outdoors stuff

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Idk how poor you are, but picrel is very practical on a budget. Something like a low priced GTI is probably going to be a pain in the ass, especially if you take a while to learn how to drive properly.

26. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are there any cheap cars before the 80s left or is it just a dream I should forget?

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Maybe you could save a Mustang 2 from the junkyard.

Up until like 10-15 years ago, you could get some cool Nissan Z cars that weren’t overvalued by boomers yet. Maybe the “Bring A Trailer” site, I’m sure there’s shit that just needs a little starter fluid and fresh gas to limp home assuming you’re somewhere that it’s not rusted out.

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

are there any softroad capable body on frame vehicles with a hybrid drivetrain available in north america? toyota has the tundra and sequoia but prices for both are far and above my price range. probably won't be able to afford anything any time soon regardless but if anyone has any recommendation, please lmk.
    in the same vein, are mavericks reliable at all, and can they handle semi-maintained pnw fsrs? i know they're pretty much just crossovers with a bed, but being smaller with the potential for light duty hauling + hybrid sounds appealing. just want something that won't immediately fall apart going up washboarded roads and won't rape me on gas as i do contractor work and drive all over the place.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>and can they handle semi-maintained pnw fsrs

As a PNW native, Ive found that the lowest maintenance summer vehicle for gravel roads is an old Hyundai Elantra. Subarus are good for wintertime if you have to go up snowy/mufdy hills, but are higher maintenance. Trucks and SUVs actually are higher maintenance than subarus. And my forester gets over 20 mpg off road BOF is a meme

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

> BOF
      > hybrid
      the ford f150 powerboost, the jeep wrangler 4xe, and the toyota offerings (land cruiser, tundra, sequoia) are your only options here

removing either BOF or hybrid as an option opens it up for more possibilities. for example WK2 jeep grand cherokee trailhawks will do almost anything you ask of it on gravel or unpaved roads. and the WL grand cherokee trailhawk has a hybrid option

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>last few weeks (months?), my 2017 Civic feels like it's driving weird
    >feels like it's windy even though it's not
    >quick Google search suggests it's either uneven worn tires (which is possible, I'm in year 5 of my winter tires and only do front/back rotation) or alignment
    >car has 200k km, never had alignment checked
    >could also be autism and placebo
    what do?

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Bring it for a $99 alignment and see what they recommend. I’m sure a bunch of bushings are worn out with that many miles. You could DIY replace a bunch of the stuff yourself if you had a somewhat competent buddy with some tools and then bring it for a fresh alignment after the parts and it will probably be nice.

Worn suspension parts often cause uneven tire wear too.

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Asda Tyres and RAC Tyres are identical websites, from the layouts, selections and even price.
    what's up with these sites? At least they offer the cheapest as far as I can see.

30. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

So I've been throwing in a splash of Marvel Mystery Oil into my oil & gas to help my high-mileage Lexus that happens to have a GDI engine in it. It's been going fine for a few months now. A couple nights ago I think I added a bit too much to the fuel and now it's running rough with misfire codes. The engine itself has been fine (I think) and I'm assuming what I have to do is keep adding clean gas in until it goes away. How badly did I frick up?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>I've been throwing in a splash of Marvel Mystery Oil into my oil & gas
      Lol. Lmao even.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

honestly a small amount isn't going to affect anything. i doubt it's the cause of your misfire.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I run 2 stroke oil in my gas every fillup and never had an issue. You should use that instead

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Italian tune up time.

31. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I heard that while i-VTECs are very good engines, they can be quite costly to work with. Are there certain things you need to pay special attention to with VTEC-engines or do you just run them until they die?

32. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

i'm looking at buying a 2+2 car with the rear seats taken out and a cage put in so there's no way to put them back in
    is insurance going to raise my rate or can i just bullshit that it's a 2+2 from the factory?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

silly question
      insurance companies have the biggest noses of any sector. you make any modification from stock and they'll want it declared so they can charge you more. don't declare it and when you need anything from them, they hang you out to dry because undeclared modifications
      >buy car
      >insure car
      >put some stickers on car
      >car gets stolen
      >"the stickers made the car more desirable. you should have declared this. by not declaring a modification you've voided the insurance. you get nothing."

33. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are sway bars really worth it? Im not interested in lowering my 350z, I am okay with lmaowheelgap, I just wonder if the sway bars are an objectively superior modification or if its simply a matter of taste. Maybe its effects are mostly obtained with a strut bar?

34. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

what's the best horsepowers/liter/dollar i4/v6 NA engine out there that you can actually buy?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Honda B18C

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

what about boosted engines? (at factory stock)

35. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Judge my character based on my dream garage
    Muscle car: Camaro
    Pickup: Frontier
    Daily: Crown Vic/Marquis
    Toy: Gr 86

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Diagnosis: Standard DAtism

36. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

So long story short, the outboard on my boat started running like shit, it's a 3 cylinder engine with a carburetor for each cylinder. Tried cleaning them twice, each time had me limping back to the harbor running on 2 cylinders. This last time I determined it was the number 2 cylinder that was misfiring, pulled the carburetor and found these yellow flakes in the bowl. Anyone have any idea what they could be?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Probably salt related

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Idk man how do you figure salt could get in there? The boat gets used at the very least a couple times a month and is kept on a trailer on land.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Mustard from the burgers and dogs.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

some sort of fuel contamination, or maybe your fuel filter coming apart internally. could have plugged something. i would replace the fuel filter and take the carb apart and clean everything.

37. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is it possible to find a mechanic job with no experience?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You can get a factory assembly job with no experience or tools.

• 1 month ago
      Këbin Vann Damm

You might be able to get a lube tech job at Jiffy Bois. They hire kids who barely know anything.

I heard that while i-VTECs are very good engines, they can be quite costly to work with. Are there certain things you need to pay special attention to with VTEC-engines or do you just run them until they die?

Nah you’re fine. The actual VTEC assembly isn’t much, it’s a fancy cam setup and the VTEC solenoid. Make sure you keep up with oil changes and it should be a reliable Honda.

38. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How clapped out is a coilover suspension on a car to be, likely?
    Especially if it's an older 911.
    I want to be able to go over curbs I can't do that if I have buy some car from a homosexual larping like he goes to track days which I know he never has.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depends u can get Lucky and back off the dampers if adjustable then go for a ride soft then harden them back up
      If the shock tube rubber boots fricked its probably had a hard life check for leaks

39. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What is most likely to break first on a 2010 330D?
    Would $6000 be too much to pay for one with 180k on the clock?

40. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

how do <100hp pickup trucks even work

• 1 month ago
      Këbin Vann Damm

#1, you have to look at torque. Lots of 18 wheelers and other big trucks are 10L+ diesel engines with only 300-450HP, but they have >1000lbs of torks.

#2, gearing. And the choice in transmissions. There was a trend to actually run smaller like 7L diesel engines in medium duty trucks in the 90s and 00s with 5-6spd automatic transmissions with torque converters. Those trucks should have like 9L-11L engines. The theory was that most of these trucks are doing local deliveries, so they redline at 60mph and get the fuel mileage of a 13L diesel with a 10+ speed manual when driving on the highway, but for city driving, the torque converter helps make up for the lack in power from the engine down low and by the time the RPMs get up to get the turbo working, there’s a good amount of torque getting to the wheels.

Unfortunately, those 7L trucks were needing complete rebuilds by 150K miles, so a lot of those medium duty local route trucks went back up in size a bit.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

but torque corresponds to power you mean they have gearing that lets you put more torque on less power but slowly
        their lowest gear is lower than a cars lowest gear? since cars can't tow shit as much as a pickup

• 1 month ago
          Këbin Vann Damm

Old pickups always have a granny gear which is a super low 1st.

Not sure what size you’re talking about though, you would have to look at actual towing capacities and see if they’re city delivery trucks that aren’t meant to do many highway miles. Those will be all lower gearing I’m sure, and when you take them on the highway, they could be cruising at 4000rpm @ 55mph while a 200HP passenger car can be doing 70mph at 1800rpm.

As for the torque converter thing, I’m not sure if they really went that route with pickup trucks or whatever you’re talking about, but it was real common in like medium duty trucks hauling stuff with like 30,000lbs+ total weight, and they were doing smaller engines than they should’ve probably used, like 200HP-250HP rated ~7L diesels, although they had a little bit higher torque ratings. In that situation, I would say imagine the torque converter as a big spring in between the engine and wheels. So the engine starts spinning and gaining RPM faster than the wheels start moving, but eventually that spring has a ton of potential energy and rebounds and puts more torque to the wheels than the engine could put out with a standard transmission. But that means the engine is running at a higher RPM to get the same total output of work.

Also remember that those are turbo diesels, so when it gets to the higher RPM, the turbo kicks in and you get the power (and fuel consumption) of a larger displacement engine. So since the wheel speed lags behind the engine speed with the torque converter, the engine can more easily get into the power band at higher RPMs to help move all of that weight. But those trucks always had fairly low high gears, so they would be at high RPMs all the time when trying to drive at highway speeds, and you’re not going to get them much past 70mph max.

I’m sure Google and some animations could explain it to you better than I could.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

They are slow. Other than that they are fine

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

torque
      HP is irrelevant ricer cope for anything but moving a lightweight object very fast in a straight line
      a 6.9 IDI or whatever can tow a frickload, it's just slow getting up to speed and you'll be near redline at modern highway traffic speed etc.
      the biggest limitation is gearing, hence heavy trucks having from 8 to 20 gears and 2-speed diffs
      a low-power light duty truck with 3-5 gears + maybe a granny gear is pretty unpleasant to tow with, even adding just 1 more trans gear plus re-gearing the rear diff can make a big big difference, which is why people would install aftermarket overdrive units e.g. gearvendors'

41. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

at what point does body panel rust become a safety concern? my favourite piece of shit has a frick ton of rust (fully perforated) under one rocker panel, which isn't a separate body piece. it'll probably eat through the whole one side within a year or two. the frame and suspension components are fine, with really minor surface rust consistent with any 13 year old car in onterrible. it's definitely from water retention and it's completely fricked the inside of the panel and I don't know if cutting it out will really curb the spread. I really, really like my shitbox, but other normal shit is starting to fail too. I don't want to waste money replacing parts for something that's coming up to its deathbed, but I really can't tell if it'll be fricked in 1-2 years or 5+. picrel is where all the rust is. there's a bit on the rear quarters too, but I can sand that and fill it out relatively easily so I'm unconcerned about it

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

bump
      my car got its first rust hole where the door hits it
      and every time I jack it up from the front/back center I lose a little bit of metal so the frame is fricked too

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/SieHTjY.gif

bump
      my car got its first rust hole where the door hits it
      and every time I jack it up from the front/back center I lose a little bit of metal so the frame is fricked too

just weld in some steel and keep driving
      also learn how to fluid film, no excuse to have a car rusting when it can be prevented entirely with a couple hours of maintenance each year

42. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This hole is my carburetor fuel intake and a piece of rubber barely big enough to fit in it felt right into it. A perfect bullseye, 10/10, wouldn't be able to do it again if I tried 6 gorillion times.

I want to kill myself so bad you wouldn't believe it but, before I do that, I'm willing to hear suggestions on how to get it out. Bonus points if it doesn't involve removing the carburetor itself.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Got a compressed air nozzle? I would spray some air in there, not like full 110psi but a good gust towards the hole, and see if it pops out.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you can try a shop vac, duct tape a smaller tube to its hose to concentrate the vacuum more, good chance you could suck it right out of there

43. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Two questions:
    Anyone got advice on cleaning up a rusty old, iron exhaust manifold? The one on my 6BT need some attention. I'm pretty sure electrolysis is my best bet, but I'm open to other options. I just want the fricker to not be a mess of rust when I put my new Exhaust Housing on my Turbo.

Second, relating to that, anyone got an extreme high heat paint recommendation for this application? Most of the ancient Boomers advise just using grill paint, but I instinctively distrust them. Ideally, I want something I can use on the manifold, the exhaust housing, the block, and the valve covers. The entire engine needs cleanup. Bonus points if someone can advise a non-black paint that will give contrast visibility for oil leaks.

44. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What’s the best way to buy a car? Saving up or going to a dealer for payments. I make around 50k a year and need a transportation method. Also women need their rides 😉 please help or you’re a Black person
    Be honest because I hate saving money
    I spend it all on drugs and hookers.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Build your credit first. If you have real good credit and get a low enough interest rate, then you can take the cash and make it work elsewhere and not be losing much on the loan. Or else put down a big enough down payment and/or make extra payments towards principal to make the interest not hurt as bad.

Sounds like you’re not capable of saving up enough to buy a car in cash anyway.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Thank you, I’ll consider all options

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

save up and buy something you can afford. you will be broke your whole life if you're constantly paying interest on borrowed money for cars you cant afford

45. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

bros drove sisters jimny for like 5kms on road with 4wd engaged with like 4 90deg turns like half a month ago
    didn't even know you're not supposed to do that until today didn't even have the manual in the car
    how much do you think i fricked it up

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

If nothing made horrible noises, it’s probably fine. I’m sure it was a little rough on the tires too.

Also depending on the car, sometimes there’s a 4WD high and low, and low is the one that really locks up the diffs and is very uncomfortable on dry roads.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

apparently theres no differential in these vehicles

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

0% chance you damaged anything, i wouldn't worry about it

46. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

My car started having some issues with hard shifting around 65mph.
    how fricked is it?
    I bought it at about 100k, did a transmission fluid change... not a flush... and it obviously never had been changed. Its at 140k now and giving me some issues.
    Is it salvageable?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Drive more gently so your car doesn't shift at 65 mph.

47. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Where's the sticker general?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Try reddit?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Nah reddit is aids, I'd rather have cancer

48. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Why did reupping on coolant/antifreeze fix the power steering in my BMW?

49. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is it worth getting a diesel if you do a lot of highway driving?
    Doesn't seem like the savings on fuel is that significant these days. Would you do it, all else equal? the consensus seems to be that diesel isn't as fun to drive.

50. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm looking at a Mercedes-Benz SL Class, either a 400 from 2015 or a 550 from 2011 or 2013.

Is there any real reason for me to want the V8 over the twin-turbo V6? Like other than "it's a V8."

51. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Would it be worth it to sell my Toyota Highlander 2003? It's been a reliable car for a very long time, just wondering if it's worth keeping around or not?

52. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Bought a car, brakes no work, replace hoses and calipers as they were bad. Brakes still no work. Disconnect brake lines from MC and fluid pumps out the back port, but not the front. Replace the MC under the assumption that it's bad. The same thing happens on the new one. Replace booster. Same thing. What is going on? Am I not bleeding the MC fully, and there is air trapped? Also the new booster is whooshing when I'm hitting the brakes. Not super knowledgeable on brakes but doesn't that usually mean the booster is bad?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Am I not bleeding the MC fully, and there is air trapped?
      Probably.
      Just because the bubbles stopped coming out does not mean it's completely bled.
      Get some good lighting and look down into the hole.
      If you see shiny, that's a trapped bubble.
      Assuming youre bench bleeding:
      Bleed it by doing a couple of full pumps first, then the first half, another full pump, and finally the last half.

53. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I drive a 2001 Miata that stays mostly in my garage except for getting driven a few miles once or twice a week. I live in California though and it’s nearly impossible to wash it because of all the regulations here (can’t go through a car wash cuz of the top. How often do I need to wash this thing really? I’d like to keep it in good shape

54. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What's the name / size of this nut that holds the car battery in place. Need to buy a replacement and can't seem to find it

If any ausgays in this thread, would appreciate if you can link me to supercheap or autobarn link etc

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

that's a backnut
      in terms of size you're gonna have to figure it out yourself moron, just use some spanners and find which one fits

55. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What kind of security/alarm system do you guys recommend for a 2004 suv? Thinking of going with pic related but not sure.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

don't waste your money
      they are shit, malfunction constantly, cause wiring problems, and thieves don't care because literally everyone ignores them.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

As others have said aftermarket security systems are generally worse than useless. Get a GPS tracker if you want a shot at recovery. Doesn't help with Jamal taking your laptop out of the backseat but it might get the thing back to you (with a busted steering column.)

56. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2019 WRX Limited. I don't recall it doing this until recently, but a friend was riding with me and I realized his head was moving a lot when shifting gears. I hadn't seen this in any other manual car I've owned.

I tested it later, and seems even when I just push the clutch in, it jerks the car. It will do the same when releasing the clutch. I tried it at different speeds and RPM and seems like the only time it's a 100% smooth shift is when I'm almost redline in the 6k range. I usually shift at around 4k or when it sounds like it is ready.

Am I doing something wrong, or is something wrong with the car?

57. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

THIS IS NOT MY CAR
    friend of mine is really behind on payments for a used car. he was leasing it but still owes maybe +/-$5,000 on it. because of certain circumstances, he’s stopped paying for it, i’m not going into further detail. i’d like to buy it off him since it runs great and i’ve driven it myself enough to know it’s reliable. As you might know, he does not have the title since he never fully paid it off. How would he go about obtaining it? The dealership already threatened to repo it, and has sued him (or sent him to collections) for the money owed. Is it as simple as paying the dealership the money owed or are there strings attached to a scenario like this? I’m not doing this because I wanna hold this guy’s hand through his troubles, it’s just a really fun car and I’d buy it off him for cheap money.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

have your friend call the dealer and see if they'd be willing to do a short sale to you, you pay the dealer what he owes, the dealer gives you the title

58. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

[...]

don't waste your money
    they are shit, malfunction constantly, cause wiring problems, and thieves don't care because literally everyone ignores them.

Is there an alternative?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

lock your doors
      don't leave anything valuable in sight
      get full coverage insurance
      don't live around blacks and mexicans

59. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Problem is I'm seeing SL400's with the twin-turbo V6 at around $25,000 with all the options, and less miles and newer, while the older, uglier 2011 SL550 is available, but has no turbo, and no promise that it has all the options, at like $31,000. And while that's not necessarily out of my price range, I'm only willing to finance up to $2,000 worth of debt right now.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

The 550 was the higher trim model, right? The AMG model? That’s probably why the older 550 is more than a newer 400. Like asking why is an older M3 worth more than a newer 328i.

If you get an older AMG model, I would bet it will lose less value over the time of ownership. Also if you have cash, remember that those are often a boomer’s weekend car, so if they need some extra money, that’s one of the first toys to go and you could probably beat them down on the price if you were to show up with cash or some equivalent, but you need to be the first guy to show up with the money when those are posted.

It’s going to be an expensive car to maintain and if a turbo goes out or something, that’s a big cost. Turbo systems add extra complexity and more parts to break, but a loaded SL550 will have plenty to go wrong as well.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No, not AMG, just SL550. It's just that they have the V8. You're right about running costs, but I'm currently running a German car that someone crashed before me, so anything well taken care of will do better in comparison. I make lower middle-class money I'd say but my savvy shopping got me a place in the middle of uptown for like $1,000 a month so I can take the money far.

I guess my 3 choices I'm looking at are Porsche Boxsters (God forbid a 911 but only if one jumps out at me at a "take it off my hands price"), Corvettes, and this. This Mercedes was just the choice I was thinking of if I was to prioritize luxury features over all else.

• 1 month ago
          Këbin Vann Damm

I had 2 separate neighbors over the last 5 years snag SL’s on the low. One had the 90s SL500, the other was a little bit newer SL550. They both got them dirt cheap from guys who were ready to get rid of their weekend toys and put a down payment on a new CUV for the wife. Whatever you do, just keep your eyes on the postings because both of those dudes got real good prices on low mileage SLs.

They were both bright red too.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

In terms of SLs (might still go the Boxster route because I never had a Miata before, so a true sports car could be fun. But DFW roads. Hard to take a bump) I've got three options:
            2011 SL550, V8, fully equpped, however no turbo that the post 2013 models got and the ugly front end. 77k miles, $18,500.
            2015 SL400, twin-turbo V6, silver with red interior, $25,000, 112k miles.
            Another 2015 SL400, black with tan interior, $22,000 cash, and 82k miles.

60. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There's an Alfa 159 2.2 JTS from 2005 with 200k km on it for sale for 2k euro. Pics look like it's pristine outside and in. Description says the chain, water pump and 'lots of other things that commonly fail' have been replaced. Plates show it only had one owner. Description mentions it was owned by an Alfa enthousiast who switched it for a Giulia to imply it was well taken care of (I'll take that with a grain of salt).

I'm selling my old SLK because it's become too much of a money pit. How moronic would I be to buy another money pit?

61. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have a cylinder 3 misfire, P0303. I swapped spark plugs and ignition coils between cylinder 3 and 6 (6 chosen for easy reach). I still have a cylinder 3 misfire.

I suspect it isn't an issue with the wire to the coil, because in the process I forgot to reconnect the 3 connector and also got P0353, and didn't get it after I reconnected.

Does this mean it's a fuel injector issue or are there other things I need to look at? I can't do the screwdriver trick because it's on the back of the engine where I can't reach, similar issue with a mechanic stethoscope.

62. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There is some play in my CV axles. I was checking because on acceleration and deceleration, I'll often hear a single "pop" or "click" from passenger wheel area. I also have pretty bad vibration at WOT between 2k and 3.5k rpm. I checked outer cv boot on passenger side and it does look like it is leaking. There is black, tacky grease flung in a circle around the boot. So I already have a new axle on the way. Since I was under there I figured I would check the other axle, and on both, there is about 1/4" of radial play. I know some slight in and out play is normal but I'm not sure about the rotational play I have. When I rotate the axles there is also a "clunk" sound that happens as I first begin to rotate it. Is this abnormal/concerning?

63. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are the transmission crossmembers the same on all first gen 2.7l /3.5l /5.7l /6.1l LX Chrysler cars? (Charger, 300c, Magnum, Challenger) You would imagine so but I know that v6 nag1 transmissions don’t directly bolt onto v8 driveshafts, etc. I just don’t want to run into this stupid horse shit where I order a part and it turns out the v6/v8 pieces can’t bolt onto the car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

oh and i’m specifically asking for crossmembers for a NAG1 troony. Not sure if it matters.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

oh and i’m specifically asking for crossmembers for a NAG1 troony. Not sure if it matters.

find the parts diagrams and compare part numbers

64. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Had to be driven somewhere by dad because not allowed to drive atm due to health issues.
    >Goes to park. Big muscley black dude in front seems to think we hit him.
    >Checks for damages
    >Can't seem to see anything around bumper
    >See towbar. Possible that we hit towbar as he was parked a bit too deep and over the line?
    >Not sure if our registration plate looks a bit bent but I guess it kind of does
    >Seems to deem that no real damages and no harm and part ways with no arguments or anything.

Whats the likelihood of unseen damage being done by hitting their towbar at slow parking speeds? I really honestly feel bad when shit like this happens. Plus I often see this dude around the area at my workplace so don't want him to recognise the car and be chasing me up lmao

If I see him should I act like I never interacted with him out of work lol

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>rent car
      >hit the back while reversing
      Is there a way to get out of paying this if it wasn't an accident(no report)?
      Can I get it be indented somehow? Or would they have to replace the whole back door and force me to pay for it(and potentially more stuff)

https://i.imgur.com/5pdyJNR.jpg

Forgot pic

holy fricking shit how hard is it to drive correctly??? i've been driving for 30 years and i've never once backed into anything.

65. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>rent car
    >hit the back while reversing
    Is there a way to get out of paying this if it wasn't an accident(no report)?
    Can I get it be indented somehow? Or would they have to replace the whole back door and force me to pay for it(and potentially more stuff)

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Forgot pic

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

barely noticeable. you aright homie

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Don’t rentals have insurance? I think most places would just replace the whole hatch and color match.

>Had to be driven somewhere by dad because not allowed to drive atm due to health issues.
      >Goes to park. Big muscley black dude in front seems to think we hit him.
      >Checks for damages
      >Can't seem to see anything around bumper
      >See towbar. Possible that we hit towbar as he was parked a bit too deep and over the line?
      >Not sure if our registration plate looks a bit bent but I guess it kind of does
      >Seems to deem that no real damages and no harm and part ways with no arguments or anything.

Whats the likelihood of unseen damage being done by hitting their towbar at slow parking speeds? I really honestly feel bad when shit like this happens. Plus I often see this dude around the area at my workplace so don't want him to recognise the car and be chasing me up lmao

If I see him should I act like I never interacted with him out of work lol

You’re fine dude shit happens, there’s no way a love tap will cause unseen damages.

There is some play in my CV axles. I was checking because on acceleration and deceleration, I'll often hear a single "pop" or "click" from passenger wheel area. I also have pretty bad vibration at WOT between 2k and 3.5k rpm. I checked outer cv boot on passenger side and it does look like it is leaking. There is black, tacky grease flung in a circle around the boot. So I already have a new axle on the way. Since I was under there I figured I would check the other axle, and on both, there is about 1/4" of radial play. I know some slight in and out play is normal but I'm not sure about the rotational play I have. When I rotate the axles there is also a "clunk" sound that happens as I first begin to rotate it. Is this abnormal/concerning?

Id say that’s normal

I have a cylinder 3 misfire, P0303. I swapped spark plugs and ignition coils between cylinder 3 and 6 (6 chosen for easy reach). I still have a cylinder 3 misfire.

I suspect it isn't an issue with the wire to the coil, because in the process I forgot to reconnect the 3 connector and also got P0353, and didn't get it after I reconnected.

Does this mean it's a fuel injector issue or are there other things I need to look at? I can't do the screwdriver trick because it's on the back of the engine where I can't reach, similar issue with a mechanic stethoscope.

If you’re sure you are getting spark then it can only be the fuel injector or worst case low compression in that cylinder. I would swap injectors with another cylinder and see what happens, assuming it’s less than a 1 hour job. If it’s a 5 hour job I’d do a compression test first to make sure the cylinder is good

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Don’t rentals have insurance? I think most places would just replace the whole hatch and color match
        Yes they do have insurance but it doesn't cover mistake hits with no police report. I think in this case they'll put the bill on me

66. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

One of my intercooler hoses (turbo to intercooler) is collapsing during idle causing low boost and limp mode. I’ve looked for a blockage/tear and haven’t seen anything. Is there anything I can do to pinpoint the problem? Could it be that the hose is just old?

67. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Have a head scratcher I don't know how to approach.

2003 Accord turns on and runs fine, but has a coolant leak. Depending on how much I refill it, temps go all the way red after five to sixty minutes of driving. I have NO CLUE where the leak is, I don't see a fricking thing under my car.

Call my mechanic for advice, he immediately says head gasket leak. But I have zero other head gasket symptoms. No white smoke from my exhaust or engine, no white gunk under my engine cap, I take the radiator cap off and crank it and nothing bubbles out, shit's perfectly still. Engine itself runs fine with zero sound issues or anything.

Where the FRICK is my coolant going?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

does your heater work?+

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I had a heater core leak into my cabin a couple of years ago and bypassed it. Live in Florida so it's not like I need the heat. Bypass hoses aren't leaking.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

unfortunately, he may be right. pressure test the cooling system. give it a leakdown test as well. the only way you’ll find out is by diagnosing it like this. i was in the same boat as you and found out i had a slow, slow, slow slow slow coolant leak entering one of the cylinders.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you have been flushing and replacing your coolant every couple years right anon?
      almost certainly a headgasket caused by neglecting the coolant, rust inhibitors break down after a few years and start breaking down the gaskets.

68. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Whats a cheap ass car that I can buy to learn how to fix cars on?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

90s Civic or Camry.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

He wants to learn to fix cars anon. That means they need to break occasionally.

Whats a cheap ass car that I can buy to learn how to fix cars on?

The oldest Mopar you can find that isn't obviously rusted to shit

I'm considering a pickup truck for my next vehicle and am concerned about how exactly to store groceries in the bed. Is a Tonneau cover good enough? Or should I get one of those truck bed cargo bags? What's the simplest, most effective method of securing everything?

Just take the receipt out of the bed and it'll be fine. Anything you're particularly worried about or if it's raining heavy use the back seat.

>want Stelvio
        >worried car will shit out on me cause Italian car lmao
        What do?

>Dealing with Italian problems to have all the cool factor of a minivan
        Whatever you do, don't do that

69. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Park wet car in the garage or leave it out in the rain?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Do you prefer it to dry off or stay wet for a while?

70. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

are crocs ok for driving (manual)

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Hi Manual, welcome to the US. Crocs are not okay for driving as they have a difficult time grasping the steering wheel with their small reptilian hands.

71. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm considering a pickup truck for my next vehicle and am concerned about how exactly to store groceries in the bed. Is a Tonneau cover good enough? Or should I get one of those truck bed cargo bags? What's the simplest, most effective method of securing everything?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>What's the simplest, most effective method of securing everything?
      cargo net

72. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

(You)s inbound.

73. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my car’s clutch has started smelling really burnt recently and struggles with moving (FAST) instantly and driving up hills from a dead stop. How long do you guys reckon I could drive like this?
    >2006 Nissan 350z m/t
    I’m really trying to baby it and not use the clutch if it’s not 100% necessary. (coasting to a stop, etc.) Traffic doesn’t bother me. I won’t abuse the car TOO HARD to make some normie happy. I’m avoiding the highway and keeping it at 45mph for 15 miles everyday (to/from work). This is my only drivable car atm so fixing it isn’t really an option until next week or so.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

it also doesn’t stall no matter what gear. i leave the car in. I know the clutch is toast.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

it also doesn’t stall no matter what gear. i leave the car in. I know the clutch is toast.

hard to say but probably not very long at all

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

will keep this thread updated for anyone in the future when they’re checking out the archives then. god i hate calling the tow truck gays

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

made it home safe and sound bros. i’m just gonna uber for now. i wouldn’t advise anyone to drive with a badly slipping clutch as it feels like you’re barely in control of the car. not worth the risk for me, but i could’ve easily done maybe 50-100 miles more, tops. anything more and i wouldn’t trust the car to hold up. that thing reeked like hell.

74. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Does Kenwood make the best aftermarket radios/screens you can get?

75. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If i wunna run 7-10psi on my barra will a 7psi aftermarket waste gate be good? Got a spring kit coming so i can adjust it from 5-24psi i think stock turbo maxes out about 11psi got a ebc on the way as well

76. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>buy a alloy with surface corrosion, bad but not in sight. Outta sight, outta mind.
    >fit tire on
    >wait 24h
    >first time measuring pressure, 0.10 BAR below spec
    Have I fricked up big time?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

take the tire back off and wire wheel off the corrosion around the lip where the bead sits, any corrosion or gunk there will cause a slow leak

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Inflate the tire to spec to rule out garage error
      >Put inflator away, last check on the gauge, somehow lost 0.10 psi already
      >Re-inflate, back to spec
      >Go on a short test drive, go little rough
      >It somehow gained 0.10 bar
      yes, the tire gets warm and the pressure goes up but I think that gauge is a little off.

77. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Should I get a 330mm stoptech big brake kit or a 14" wilwood big brake kit? I care more about weight so I was leaning towards the stoptech kit but their acquisition and current supply scares me. 330mm is very close to my current brake size. This is for a e85 Z4.

78. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

where is the dipstick for the transmission fluid in a 1998 rav4?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

there's a link to the 96-99 repair manual here, as well as other years too
      https://carmanualshub.com/toyota-rav4-pdf-workshop-and-repair-manuals/
      also isn't it near the air filter box?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>also isn't it near the air filter box?
        yup. i'm tarded. i saw that it said "transfer oil no included, check transfer dip stick", only read the words "transfer oil" and kept looking. thanks for the link, though.

79. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How come Gordon Murray is the only one commissioning tiny V12s. Why has there really not been a whole lot of attempts at V12s trying to make them smaller and lighter.

80. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

do police actually use spike strips on public roads?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

absolutely

81. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

wrenchlet here, when removing wheels am I supposed to loosen the lug nuts with a breaker bar first before using a torque wrench? I used my dads torque wrench first and I ended up scratching/stripping the shit out of the lug nut without even removing it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Why would you use a torque wrench to remove something? Is this a joke
      It's a torque wrench not an untorque wrench

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

it sounds like you're using too big of a socket. try a size down. if it's any car made in the last 20 years it's probably metric.
      use a regular ratchet or a breaker bar to remove. use a torque wrench when putting it back on.
      watch this playlist if you want to learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQRO29ZzbE&list=PLvKbarVtwhUsbEnGIMzYholzTozXBqYkk

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

don't use a torque wrench to remove shit. you can damage it and make it go out of calibration if you keep doing that.

82. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

is it hard to learn to drive manual if I have never done it before? I can drive a motorcycle but I know it's not quite the same. Better question is, how badly am I going to frick up a car learning on it?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

the bike skills will transfer well over to the car. i manual swapped my car and took about three days to get the hang of driving manual having never driven one before. You'll pick it up quicker.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

thanks man, I appreciate it.

83. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my bad, I meant impact wrench

84. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How important is it to use threadlocker on strut bolts? I just changed the front struts on a 2015 chevy spark and forgot to use any because I didn't see any already on there. Now I'm being paranoid about it, but I also don't want to have to redo all the work because the top mounts are in a very, very dumb place under the hood. I'll probably have to pull it apart again in a couple months anyway though because the bolts on the sway bar links were a bit stripped

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>struts
      UNLESS you had a tiny little 6 year old tighten up the nuts and bolts, it shouldn’t be an issue.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I got the knuckle bolts to the right torque. My main worries are the slightly stripped sway bar bolt and possibly the top mounts because there was hardly any space to get that torx bit in there while cranking it. I just ended up using a dinky pass through socket and tightening it as much as possible

85. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

is it worth going to stealerships to test out cars? i feel like its the easiest way to drive cars without paying

86. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I asked here a bit ago about a coolant leak on my crown vic and showed some pictures, you guys helped me figure out it was the water pump. I replaced it, the thermostat, and did a coolant flush and over the past week have driven a hundred fifty miles or so on it and I'm getting no leaks, no overheating, nothing wrong at all. Just wanted to say thanks a bunch folks, I'm glad everything seems to have worked out and appreciate the advice!

87. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm trying to remove a glow plug. I can see the threads are out and it spins freely and wiggles, but it's impossible to pull it out. What's a possible cause?

88. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Hmm checked my tire pressure and half of my car is in the shade so one side is 2 psi higher than the other. Do I deflate or leave them?

89. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>want Stelvio
    >worried car will shit out on me cause Italian car lmao
    What do?

90. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>5th Generation Honda C-RV
    >2nd Generation Mazda CX-5
    >2nd Generation Subaru Crosstrek

For ~$20k, which would you choose?
    I'd like some okayish AWD capability for when I occasionally take it on dirt roads up in the mountains for camping and fishing, but I'm not expecting a Wrangler of course.

91. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Engine at idle
    >Can feel a little rumble in car sometimes
    >Feels like someone gives the engine a little smack
    >No dip in RPM
    Is it a misfire?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Fan clutch engaging.

92. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I got a car in my driveway that I want to park parallel to my garage door. problem is the car doesn't run, there's not much space (1.5-2 car lengths) and I live on a hill so I can't just slap car wheel dollies on it.
    I'm don't know if a tow truck could do it with these problems.
    any idea how I could turn a car 90 degrees when it doesn't start and has those constraints?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

maybe a cable tied to the car and to a snatch block? but i'm having trouble picturing what you want, can you draw a diagram?

93. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Middle row middle seatbelt won't unspool, what do?
    The access panel on the bottom doesn't help, the seatbelt stuff is all hidden behind spot welds.
    >93 Suburban

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Pull hard, then release.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Won't budge. I even tried putting a screwdriver in the square hole to use as a handle.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

…fuhgedduhbouddit

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

something is in a bind. stick something through that buckle to act as a handle to give you leverage like a socket extension, then try pulling hard from every possible angle.

94. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I need a get a car to drive for the next 2-3 years.
    I was looking at tacomas and found one in absolute supreme condition for 20k.

This price seems dumb as frick to me because its pretty easy to get a 2015-2017 model for the same price.

Would I be stupid for getting the 2003 taco over a 2015 one?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

What do you need a pickup for?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I own a measly 2acres of farmland

95. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How bad is it bros?

It's hard to see because it's wet, but when you see it, you'll notice how bent it is

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

For reference, this is a REAR wheel. It's bent in this position

You can see where it hit

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

your toe is extremely fricked up. camber is one thing but bad toe will wear through tires WAAAAYYYYYY quicker than any positive or negative camber. I wouldn’t advise driving on it for an EXTENDED period of time.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I think the camber got affected too

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Shits fricked

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yeah but like how bad
          I can see that

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Bad

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

How bad is bad

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Y8u3ABE.jpg

For reference, this is a REAR wheel. It's bent in this position

You can see where it hit

hard to say. Alignment is a very delicate thing.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Maybe you got lucky and that one arm absorbed all the impact. If you're unlucky the hub and/or wheel, spindle, other suspension components are bent as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the wheel bearing fails soon either

Everything else /looked/ straight as far as I could tell, but like you guys say, you never know until you know

I took a symmetrical shot for comparison

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Maybe you got lucky and that one arm absorbed all the impact. If you're unlucky the hub and/or wheel, spindle, other suspension components are bent as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the wheel bearing fails soon either

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Can someone tell me what each of the 3 bars are called? I feel like suspension is the thing I've studied the absolute least of, so I'm never sure if I'm mislabeling things. Sorry I know it's a stupid question

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Why don't you tell us what car you have?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

SC400
          Didn't think it would make a difference to identifying bare components. Also the fact that the wheels are unique to that model, posted earlier
          So that's why

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

https://parts.lexusstevenscreek.com/v-2000-lexus-sc400--base--4-0l-v8-gas/suspension--rear-suspension

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Thank

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I would call the top 2 lateral links, bottom one a trailing arm.

96. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

asked this before with 0 answers. will 2010 SRT8 Challenger wheels fit on a 350z? the lug pattern is the same but the hub size is not the same iirc. Please tell me what will happen if I tried to drive around like this anyways.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

get hub centric adapters otherwise your shit might wobble around a bit at speed. also check the offset, as there might be a big fricking difference between the two even if the bolt pattern is identical. that *could* cause rubbing or clearance issues

97. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

what are some cars

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You have toyod
      And doge

Let me know if you need more 🙂

98. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How moronic am I for wanting to buy an FB RX-7 as my first car? They go for about 9k over here. I just really like how they look.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

About 6/10 on the moron scale. At least.

99. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

so my car was starting to make a strange sound
    looked at the exhaust today
    > see this
    can this be fixed or am I in for a new one
    I'm not a good welder and this is definitely not steel ...

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Could be fixed. Most likely it is steel. Even if it was stainless, that could still be welded.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous
  100. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have a small cabin squeak that happens when going over some bumps. It's driving me mad. How can I localize it?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Definitely start by cleaning out every single thing from the car except for your registration and yourself. I'm talking even isolate your car key and leave your others behind.
      You'd be surprised how many noises are caused just by random shit in your car shuffling about.

101. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What's a good base list of chemical products/ sprays to work on cars? Thing like break cleaner etc

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

There’s a million.

>brake cleaner
      >carb/ throttle body cleaner
      >MAF/ electronic contact cleaner
      >penetrating oil
      >silicone or lithium general spray lube
      >spray bottle w/ simple green or other degreaser

That’s probably the most commonly used stuff for me. A little thing of dielectric grease is nice to have as well, or you get general silicone grease which is the same thing and is good for crusty electrical contacts, brake caliper slide pins, o-rings and rubber on lots of non-DA stuff. Also get yourself a tube/tub of regular grease like Red & Tacky for stuff that needs a more substantial lube than the spray can stuff.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

https://i.imgur.com/XHWGpJz.jpg

There’s a million.

>brake cleaner
      >carb/ throttle body cleaner
      >MAF/ electronic contact cleaner
      >penetrating oil
      >silicone or lithium general spray lube
      >spray bottle w/ simple green or other degreaser

That’s probably the most commonly used stuff for me. A little thing of dielectric grease is nice to have as well, or you get general silicone grease which is the same thing and is good for crusty electrical contacts, brake caliper slide pins, o-rings and rubber on lots of non-DA stuff. Also get yourself a tube/tub of regular grease like Red & Tacky for stuff that needs a more substantial lube than the spray can stuff.

Oh yea starter fluid is up there on the list too. And another more specialized one is graphite lube, super common use for that is sticky locks and a couple other applications. You don’t want to use regular oils and lubes on locks, it may loosen them up originally but it will attract dust and grime and get them more gummed up in the long term.

102. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>fix my shitbox thermostat
    >change coolant
    >nice, it will get to 90ºC and it will go better
    >shitbox still does not get hot
    >now turbo whistles like a motherfricker and I feel the car has lost power
    nani?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Thermostats are a crapshoot. I swear at least 50% of the ones I get are defective out of the box. Especially with aftermarket ones, test them before installing to avoid wasting your time.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

frick, too late. thanks for advice tho

103. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

what kind of discount off retail will i have to give to sell a set of brand new wheels+tires on fb marketplace in the midwest? just some cheap reps (15" vors + achilles atr sports). mounted and balanced but they've never even been test fitted. best deal I can find scouring online is around $650+tax not including mount+balance, (for reference, fitment industries wants $900+).

104. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>apply clearcoat from touch up pen
    >paint immediately lifts / dissolves
    I hate this shit. I let the paint cure for a few days but I guess not enough? I guess I'll try a week. If that still doesn't work I'll just buy 3rd party paint and clear and mix them and apply that. Don't care how bad the match is I just want something to cover the white epoxy (at least that shit sticks good). It's safe from rust but frick. White spekcs on a gray car looks bad.

105. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What franchises like maaco offer auto body and painting work? I've only heard fricking awful things about the local shops in my area and the closest maaco is almost a hundred miles away. I'm not looking for stellar work but cheap enough and does the job, and the local places are the opposite on both counts.

106. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I was tightening up an engine bolt by hand. Steel bolt into aluminium engine. I spun it on until it was 'tight'. I pushed harder and it turned maybe 10° really quickly. Applying the same force won't make it turn anymore and it feels solid. It was supposed to be 58nm.

Tell me I didn't strip the threads

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You didn't strip the threads
      🙂

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Honest? I'm schizing out here rn

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Take it back out, if the aluminum threads don't come out with the bolt you're probably fine

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

get a torque wrench my guy, it's a real good investment

107. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

To hp/cs a 5-8 yr old beemer with under 100k on it and pay $200 a month for 3 years or to buy a sub 1k almost 20 year old shitbox celica with 150k on it and own it outright?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'm guessing you're fairly young, yeah? I would go for buying a shitbox outright and saving up everything you can in a high yield savings account until the stock market crashes -- once they market crashes, get in and wait for it to rise back up. In five years, you'll be able to buy a bmw shitbox outright and repeat the process to get a better car in the future.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Young is subjective, I just hit 30.
        If I get another shitbox it'll be my 5th in 14 years, but I'm an office wagie now and all the keeping up with the jones' is getting to me.
        Celica's are fun for fwd and if I get it I won't care when I total it. 318i is better for the looks but would be my first rwd car and I'd be mad when I total it with finance left on it.
        Just hard to choose.

108. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is this beyond repair? It’s a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

With separation like that? It would be extremely painful

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah, figured. It’s in really nice shape otherwise, which is a damn shame. I guess I’ll keep looking.

109. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Any VIN checkers here? I have a car I'm interested in. A 2003 ES300

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Are you really going to make them chase you for the VIN?

110. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is it koop or koo-pay?
    I know the thing that bald guys wear is a too-pay and not a toop, but koo-pay just sounds wrong.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Koop.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

/ko͞op/

Thanks. I've been watching a couple Australian car reviews that popped up and both of those guys said koo-pay. Wasn't feelin' it.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Because British English
          If you're in the US, you would never say anything other than koop

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

/ko͞op/

111. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my valve cover/pcv is making a squeaking noise on shutoff that I don't hear on startup or during operation. maybe within 10 seconds of turning off the engine, lasts about 5 seconds and squeaks a few times. is this just the rubber in the pcv on its way out? I have vagshit so it's integrated with the valve cover and not removable, so I can't just pop the fricker off and look and I don't want to drop a couple hundred on a replacement for no good reason. could it be anything else, or is it a somewhat normal noise that I perhaps never noticed before

112. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is it worth putting a air purifier in the garage where I park my car?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Car exhaust in heavy concentration naturally purifies air. Just run your car in the garage with the door shut.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

if my garage doors are made out of wood, then wouldnt the heavy concentration of purified air just seep through it?

113. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

And finally…
    Is there any advantage, performance-wise, in having fewer gears? Is there any performance benefits in having a 4-speed transmission than a 6-speed?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Weight, space, and cost

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depending on the gearing or the way the engine runs it might be nothing but low-end torque and longer gearing could help, but that's a bit above my paygrade you'd have to ask a transmission specialist about that.
      Also drifters prefer less gears since nailing the perfect amount of tire spin is their whole format.

114. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How do I negotiate with a dealership?
    There's one MB SL400 I'm looking at that is 112k miles and $25,000.
    Another I'm looking at is $22,000 and 85k miles. I'm wondering if I can use that to negotiate the price down even lower. I also have a trade-in that might knock a few grand off. I was also thinking of maybe pretending like I'm going to finance when I actually completely intend to pay in cash.

115. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Can I use vaseline aerosol instead of fluid film? Or is it too thick/non creeping
    What else can I use. The long nozzle fits on any normal spray can

116. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>reversing into driveway
    >shift into R
    >slowly release clutch, don't need gas cos my car is so light
    >weird fricking grinding noise
    >stop, handbrake up, neutral
    >try again, perfectly fine
    guys what the frick was that

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Didn't have it all the way in gear

117. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Does anyone have a part number for exact fit all weather floormats (like weathertech or husky liners) for a 2000 Honda Civic coupe?

118. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

is it me or sedans seem too long for mountainous area

119. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I got my hands on one of these mythical front power access point fuse boxes for my crown vic. My hope is to hardwire a dash cam to this versus splicing into the main power harness, then just plug the fuse box into the specialty connector behind the dash.

Does anyone know where to get OEM female spade terminals? Ideally in multiple sizes in-case I ever decide to add extra accessories.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

why not just use a single fuse tap? they're cheap, easy, and reliable

120. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Got some cheap stick on centre caps
    Should I trust the adhesive or use my own glue?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *