SQTDDTOT STUPID QUESTIONS

Welcome to /qtddtot/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Quirks and features edition

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

This is now the third stupid questions thread currently on the board.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

not OP, but people call it QTDDTOT instead of SQTDDTOT so when someone searches the catalog for "SQT" nothing comes up and they assume their is none. SQTDDTOT will come up for both searches so that term should be somewhere in the OP post to prevent duplicates.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Crash car
      >Engine shuts off
      >Starts right back up and runs fine for over a year
      Why did it shut off and what are the implications of this

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Most modern cars kill the engine if they 'think' you wrecked. If it ran fine for a year now you're good.

How can I improve the stopping performance of a Grand Caravan? Power Stop Z36 were alright after a lengthy bedding process, but I want to really feel like I'm being launched into the windshield when I floor the brake pedal.
        [...]

Maybe a dumb question as it's a friggin minivan but have you done anything to drop weight? IIRC you've mentioned in the past getting to the point of brake fade (holy shit how are you driving that van dude), and considering there aren't really going to be BBKs for a friggin van your options are fluid, pads, tires, and getting rid of weight. Also a serious bit of introspection on driving technique, but hey it's your van you can thrash it if you want to. If nothing else using fake manual mode if available to do some engine braking will take a little load off the brakes if they're fading.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It was a 95, would that do the auto kill thing

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Jeeps have had an ASD relay since the 90s. It cuts off the pump for that ignition cycle so you don't piss fuel in a crash and potentially cause a huge fire. As soon as you cycle the key the relay turns back on.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I haven't changed my oil in 6 months but I only but 1800 miles on my car should I wait until 3000 miles or do it now

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Depends, post your car and climate

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

2020 WRX STI
        PNW

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

There's probably enough of a temperature swing between winter and spring for an oil change to make sense. Wouldn't worry about it by miles, but consider changing to a summer oil weight after it breaks into the 40s and 50s

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>reposting

>looked like 1 of the 2 map light bulbs was out, so I started playing with the 2 buttons (1 for either bulb, no off/override switch) but it was really just the viewing angle, they're both fine

>came back later and saw that JUST the map lights were still on, even though i'd closed up the truck roughly an hour earlier, and made sure i reset the dimmer/timer override "dial" switch thing that you can use to force the interior lights on
    on this model there is no off position on that switch either (moronic)
    (truck is on a charger so the battery is fine)

>all the other interior lights go out as they should after the time delay when you open/close doors

i played with the switches on the light but all they do is adjust between high and low brightness, there is no override switch like in most vehicles where you can set a dome light to manual-only

it was late and about to rain so i just pulled the bulbs, still raining so i haven't messed with it anymore

i looked it up and did not find anyone else with this exact issue or info on how to force just the map light off/why it would stay on when the BCM/GEM lighting module either kills the interior lights (~15 seconds after all doors close etc.) or kills all the accessory power (supposedly 30-45 minutes after power-off key-out based on forum searching)

the common issue is that ALL the interior lights will stay on, as can happen on many cars with problematic door/latch/whatever sensors

so far the only thing i found is that you can add a switch to a certain GEM harness wire which will act as a killswitch for ALL the interior lights i.e. "dark car mode"

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

nvm I figured it out thanks to a wigger on israelitetube
      y'all can get fricked for not telling me the switches are DPDT and only switch between constant +12V and courtesy
      i'm getting rid of that stupid shit

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Considering removing my toolbox from my truck. Takes up about 1.5 feet in the bed, but it being an 8ft bed makes it not matter most of the time. Currently has stuff like tools, straps and cables, fluids, jumper kit, etc, and I'd like to have a place for some of these things if I did remove the box, but it's a single cab, so no room inside.
    What would be an alternative to a normal toolbox to have room for fluids and smaller items of importance? I was looking into fold-out wheel well boxes.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

if it's extended cab they make storage compartments that go under the rear seat
      I just keep 3-4 of those harbor freight tool bags under my back seat with tools. cheap and easy.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How can I improve the stopping performance of a Grand Caravan? Power Stop Z36 were alright after a lengthy bedding process, but I want to really feel like I'm being launched into the windshield when I floor the brake pedal.

[...]

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Tires will give the best braking performance. A stickier tire means the brakes are able to apply far more force to the wheel before it locks up. In the modern world where every car has a brake booster, pad compounds, calipers, discs, etc., etc. will not have any significant effect on how quickly a car can come to a stop.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i totaled my vehicle. not a car guy and drive A->B. first vehicle was a new civic lx. have to get a new one. insurance payout was ~15k. i dread getting a car and cant sleep. used looks like a shit show and new scares me from getting scammed or paying out the ass. any recommendations? i was just going to take the bullet and buy a new civic lx. i can afford new with the insurance payout but wanted to not pay anything and save cash but all we got is carmax and dealers with fleet cars or 5 owners. no private owners. wanting 2015+. worried ill get a pos

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

if you wanted late model used, carvana is the best imo. you order online, have it delivered in a few days, and if you don't like it, they'll come pick it up and give you a refund.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Dumbass

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Are there any years to avoid when looking at 4runners? Wanting to get a used one under $20k

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Ebay injectors shit out on the project build, what injector brands are good? 1500ccs or above.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What should I do? What would you do?
    >2014 FR-S
    >obtained 2016
    >kids with broccoli hair like to pull up next to me and show me their antilag farts
    The urge to move on is growing. I feel like I'm going to miss out on the last years to buy great cars at only sort-of insane prices but I also love this little fricker like you wouldn't believe. I've tracked it over and over again, bought tires multiple times and just feel like I'm hitting the limit. So far, I've looked at:
    >GR86
    "upgrade", but I don't like the cornering oil starvation, RTV bukkake, and deadened steering. Is a slight power bump worth it? trade-in would make it easily affordable.
    >GR Corolla
    4 door, AWD, stick, hatch with 300HP makes sense for me right now as I have my first heir on the way and refuse to become minivan dad for just one kid that might be gay or have bad vibes anyway. Unfortunately the only dealer I've talked to about one so far wanted to pound my ass to the tune of $54k out the door so I'm not feeling great about these since getting one seems like a pain.
    >get the wife a "practical" car and buy myself a money pit
    I've seen other people have luck with this, only problem is I taught her to drive manual and she has standards as well. she refuses to switch back to auto (says manual forces her to drive actively, feels good, etc) and wants an upgrade of her own from her '06 scion tC. the GR Corolla was going to be great for this. frick dealers. I think this would be something like a 2022 corolla hatch (last time that they offered manual in the US), a tune and/or turbo kit, and an old Boxster or Carrera for me since we'd have the 4-door hatch otherwise.
    >upgrade my FRS
    Like everyone else? but I'm special. I could shine the headlights, buy another set of sticky tires, and put the cash I would have used for something else into a supercharger and make 300+ wheel horsepower I guess. If everything is insane, maybe this option makes sense? When God sings, will the FA20 not be part of the choir?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Buy the wife something practical and get a project. If you buy the GR86 you won't have the space for a kid and if you get the GRC you and your wife will end up fighting for it, not to mention it's expensive as is. You're better off getting her something that she can be happy with so you can have a car you can build and be happy with.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

my recommendation is to shop around for a GRC, you sell the FRS and take her tC. your wife should always have the safer car if shes carrying your spawn around more often. just know that if #2 or even #3 comes along youll quickly outgrow that car but maybe by then you take the GRC and shell take a 4R or something larger.
      there is some dealer out there that will sell you a GRC at MSRP, you just have to find one and you might have to travel out of state for one

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

got a somewhat modern radio with CarPlay for my Golf 6 R. Installation etc. is relatively easy with this thing, but I also have the original rear view camera from the factory, which I would of course like to continue using. Of course I also got the adapter, from cvbs to video.

How do I wire everything up correctly now?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The wire labeled "back" has to receive a signal from the reverse circuit in the transmission, likely the wire that runs to the back to switch the reverse lights on. ACC has to receive power when you switch the car to accessory, so only the radio and power outlets are on. Check if your power outlets turn off when the car is off, you can likely connect the ACC wire to that. From then on it's like any other radio, 12+V, ground, and the outputs to the speakers. Depending on your wiring diagram, that is.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I want to try something different, tell me about the Maserati Ghibli. Why shouldn't I buy a used one? I'm tired of GM, Ford and Dodge.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How much would it cost to fix a burnt valve on a gen 1 coyote 5.0 f150?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

in a shop probably $1500+
      just diy it, this is a pretty easy engine to work on

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What are the rubber cables called in the trunk? That keep a tray up when you open it. One of mine ripped at the ring on top.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Cargo hatch cover string

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've been looking at this Nissan but it looks suspiciously cheap for its amount of miles,
    https://www.rohrman.com/certified/Nissan/2021-Nissan-Versa-b0f784fa0a0e0a90105579cb10ba01fa.htm
    Could it have something to do with what look like towing loops bolted on to its front in place of a lower grill?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it has a 7 year 100k warranty, so i wouldn't worry about it too much. ask them to print you a carfax to double check nothing screwy with the registration, then buy it if you like it.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Where do you see that? Is it powertrain or bumper to bumper?

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm not much of a car guy and I'm not rich
    Should I buy an Alfa?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it'll be a money pit if you can't do your own maintenance.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I thought post 2020 Alfas weren't time bombs

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Depends on the alfa, the ones with the fiat engines are fine.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

When rev matching/double clutching is it ok to do clutch in-neutral-clutch out-clutch in-gear-revs-clutch out?

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

Upshifting it’s like:
      >clutch in
      >neutral
      >clutch out
      >let revs drop
      >clutch in
      >next gear
      >clutch out as you’re getting back on the throttle

Downshifting is:
      >clutch in
      >neutral
      >clutch out
      >blip throttle
      >clutch in
      >clutch out as the throttle blip is coming back down to the right rpm

At least that’s with an unsynchronized trans

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I thought so, I will just have to keep practicing then. The way I'm doing it now feels incredibly smooth I just wondered if it was causing damage.

• 2 months ago
          Bepis

When rev matching/double clutching is it ok to do clutch in-neutral-clutch out-clutch in-gear-revs-clutch out?

If you’re giving it revs with the clutch in, you’re negating the whole purpose of double clutching and it feels smooth because the synchros are doing their job.

You let the clutch out and rev as you downshift so you can speed up the input side of the transmission to match the faster moving output side on the lower gear. If you push the clutch back in and rev, the engine is disconnected from the input side of the trans and the synchros help to match the input and output speeds when you go into gear and let the clutch out, just like regular shifting.

Remember it’s not 100% in and out with the clutch either, you just gotta get it past the bite point every time.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Kys attention prostitute

• 2 months ago
          Bepis

4u bby ;^)

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Are more expensive sparkplugs worth it? Im trying to find the difference between $10 and $30 spark plugs and Im sort of coming up empty. The difference between the really cheap $3 and medium priced $10 plugs actually seems worth it since the copper ones wear out a lot quicker, but I dont know the difference between platinum and iridium

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

Unless your car was OE-equipped with iridium plugs, probably not worth it over the platinum.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

iridium is supposed to have a better spark than platinum resulting in better burning, but the difference is likely unnoticeable, even to your butt dyno. probably like 0.1 hp or something

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Biggest difference is service interval. Iridiums run a touch hotter than platinum, supposed to get better combustion.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The more expensive, the longer it lasts; you're paying up front to save money later. It won't increase performance or anything else, it's purely for durability. Although keep in mind that iridium spark plugs don't like to be gapped, so you might want to check your OE specifications on the plugs to make sure the iridium ones come pre-gapped to roughly the same clearance.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Can I buy and install brake calipers separately or do I need to buy the whole brake kit? I want a different caliper color without resorting to the DIY ghettoness of spraying them or clipping on ebay covers.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If your question is if you can buy just the calipers without new pads and hardware, yes you can. But keep in mind if you buy them then they might not come with the bracket. And also parts stores ask for the old core in return so you might want to uninstall the old caliper and bring it in before buying the new one. Sometimes they let you have a week before you bring the core in, though.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There's a 2008 Porsche Boxster S in my area for like $20,000 with 30k miles on it and a moderately clean Carfax. It says damage reported to the right side, doesn't say how bad, but could be mild. I see the right rear wheel has the Porsche logo scraped off so it might not be a big deal. Obviously I'll want it inspected beforehand.

What do you think, too low, too suspicious? Boxsters seem to be cheaper than buying an MR2 right now if you're dead-set on mid-engine, but they actually have some cargo space. I also hear that gen of Boxster is relatively nice on most owners, since it's a 911 engine being tuned to run at pressures lower than what it's designed for after all.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Those Boxers were ugly and no one wanted them so I would say that price isn't too low, I've seen them sell for 8k-12k on the regular. You should inspect the damage but if it was reported then the damage had to be bad enough to warrant a report to begin with. It's not gonna be a stupid little case of scraping the wheel on the curb but it might not be a complete t-bone from an SUV. Boxters have issues with the AC spitting out the little foam insulation they used on the inside of the vents and they also had soft top issues so be mindful of that.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Well I think they aged well looks-wise but also I'm not terribly pressed about it since what I need is a car that's daily drivable *enough* (as in I don't commute but I probably will drive it as my main car) and is a manual, RWD, and has a mid-engine.

I'll definitely have the PPI look at the damage. The other thing I need to look at is the IMS bearing which will probably need to be changed out at that mileage but I've been quote $2,000 on that so that's not too bad. The colors are good the only thing it seems to be missing is the Bose audio system but it might be possible to get that retrofitted in, I'll see.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It works in your favor that you like the looks, because if you want it and no one else wants it then you can get it for cheap. They're picking up in value because other Porsches are going up in value too and this one is becoming more sought after because of it. I remember too when no one liked the 944 and they were selling for like 2 grand, now people want 10k or more for them since other Porsches have become unreasonably expensive.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah it's been sitting on the lot for months. I'm not rich so I can't sit here and be picky about "oh but it's not a real Porsche," if I want something fun, I gotta take what's available. And if we're being honest, these Boxsters probably have more parts availability than an MR2 or Fiero.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a 2012 gti with clean carfax and about 90,000 miles a few weeks ago. day two of owning it, it starts stalliing, feels weird while driving. whatever.
    i send it back to the dealer to fix it under warranty and today they tell me that it was bad gas & that they swapped the gas for premium and the problem didn't show up again. are they fricking with me? i've literally never heard of this in my life.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

also should mention i never filled it up, it came with the full tank.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

could be a ton of stuff, but Im guessing its something embarrassing theyre trying to save face on (although iirc I think premium fuel is recommended for 2010-2015ish vw's, maybe earlier too idk)

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

If it's fixed then forget about it. But yes, bad gas happens. Since the tanks on gas stations sit under the ground sometimes water seeps in and it contaminates the fuel inside. Also if they put premium in then it might need premium instead of regular. They might have sent one of the dealer car jockeys to fill the car up and he put the wrong gas in.

it is recommended, yeah. kid working there must've put regular in but it was just odd to have regular gas cause this issue. had no idea water could contaminate the fuel though, must've been that if it really was the gas. got the car back today and it runs drives great, thanks for the insight anons

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If it's fixed then forget about it. But yes, bad gas happens. Since the tanks on gas stations sit under the ground sometimes water seeps in and it contaminates the fuel inside. Also if they put premium in then it might need premium instead of regular. They might have sent one of the dealer car jockeys to fill the car up and he put the wrong gas in.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

my o2 sensors got caught on something and ripped themselves out of where they’re supposed to be plugged in. instead of lifting my car so i can fix the wires and plug it all back together, i cut them off so they would quit dragging on the floor. will it hurt my car (2007 chrysler 300 3.5l) to drive around with the o2 sensors cut in half? they’re still attached to the exhaust but the plugs are gone.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Assuming they're the post-cat sensors, the worst that'll happen is a check engine light. You'll be fine.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

This [...]

I think most cars will go into a rich running mode too with a bad o2 sensor, so maybe 10% gas mileage drop, but not going to kill the engine.

praise allah (PBUH). i appreciate it br/o/s.

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

This

https://i.imgur.com/g7Uj8aA.jpg

Assuming they're the post-cat sensors, the worst that'll happen is a check engine light. You'll be fine.

I think most cars will go into a rich running mode too with a bad o2 sensor, so maybe 10% gas mileage drop, but not going to kill the engine.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Going to get new wheels for the first time
    I know I need a hub bore ring from 73.1 to 57.1mm, and that I need cone lug bolts. How do I know what length of lug bolt to buy? I think I'm going for a 45mm offset.

Getting these for a mk7 gti https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset/OS88512459/konig-oversteer-18x8-45

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I don't think the offset matters when you're talking about how the wheel sits on the hub. I would buy the same size as factory if not a bit longer. Hub bore rings also don't push the wheel out either. The only reason you'd want drastically longer bolts is with a spacer.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>have 35 year old car in good condition
    >replace wheels and tires with wider aftermarket ones, tires are not new but lightly used, unsure of their exact history
    >car develops a slight left pull
    Most likely a tire-related issue, as I had brand new tires on the stock wheels and don't remember a pull, but I'm too lazy to go out and swap the fronts. Would getting an alignment even matter when the bushings are all 3 decades old? Planning on replacing all of them in the distantish future, but the car is about to go into storage with family...

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If the bushings are torn I wouldn't frick with it. Best you can do is rotate the front tires to the back and see if that fixes (or at least minimizes) the issue.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

TTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIS

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drive a 1.6l MX-5/Miata as my first vehicle. I'm aware it's comparatively very slow for a sports car. Eventually though I'd like to buy a higher performance car - is there a way to 'practice' for that kind of vehicle?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Without actually driving a faster car, I can only recommend trying track days in the rain. The car itself won't be any faster, obviously, but the lack of grip will be like trying to handle a faster car running in the dry. The rear end will be more prone to stepping out, braking will be more challenging, pulling out of corners is more likely to light up the tyres, so on and so forth. There is also the option for doing a track "experience" in an ///M car or something, but this costs a fair chunk of money.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

its basically exactly like driving a Miata except everything happens 10x quicker and the chances of death climb exponentially.

So if you were to take a corner in a Miata then do it in a 911, you'd have to brake before the corner and turn a few seconds earlier than you would in the Miata

thanks.
        both track day and track experiences with a different car would be good. The latter isn't particularly expensive here luckily.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

its basically exactly like driving a Miata except everything happens 10x quicker and the chances of death climb exponentially.

So if you were to take a corner in a Miata then do it in a 911, you'd have to brake before the corner and turn a few seconds earlier than you would in the Miata

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Buying my first car. I wanna get it used. I've narrowed my main three options down to a miata, mazda 3, or camry. I'm a noob with cars though. Should I get a PPI?
    I've been researching this and the common response is yes but then some folks argue against it and say that the seller will refuse and look for the first person willing to buy without the inspection. I'd say that's a red flag but I don't know my stuff yet.
    I'm looking at both dealerships and private seller.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

PPI is always a good choice and any seller unwilling to do a PPI wasn't worth buying from in the first place. Although do be careful with dealerships as their PPIs might be from the dealer's own shop, and for obvious reasons those are not always 100% reliable.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Seconded, when getting a PPI, always get it from a guy that you chose, preferrably no one that the dealership/seller knows.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

PPI is always a good choice and any seller unwilling to do a PPI wasn't worth buying from in the first place. Although do be careful with dealerships as their PPIs might be from the dealer's own shop, and for obvious reasons those are not always 100% reliable.

Noted! Thanks guys!

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Tesla Model 3 or get the new Mercedes C 300E which is a plug in hybrid with 100 km battery range and an ICE/hybrid motor for another 600 km range.

t. future Eurogay.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

if the tesla is cheaper and yiu never plan on pushing its range too far that seems like a pretty good option
      granted if youre gonna drive across the country twice a month or your living space doesnt have overnight charging capability, then the mercedes is the better choice

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

hi DA. not sure where to post this but i discovered that the clutch mc cap for my car (vy SS with ls1 & t56) is the same thread as as standard oil container cap. this means you can easily make a device for reverse bleeding the clutch without donating to big auto. hope this helps someone

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>changed lower control arms
    >there is a cam bolt on one to adjust caster split, 99% of the time it isn't touched during alignments
    >get it aligned
    >still drifts slightly to the right

It used to be arrow straight. Is it possible to get something like this back to factory setting or will it forever be a drifter now? Would a dealership tech help? Or I was thinking going to a guy that does stancing or something. I figured since they do all these crazy angles they must be able to do it, right?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You have to be wary over where you bring it in to. Sometimes they only do toe adjustments if it's one of those cheap in and out quick alignment shops. Bringing it to a guy that "does stancing" will not do anything as they don't really give a frick about alignment at all. My recommendation is to bring it to a place where they print a before and after of the alignment sheet so you can confirm they did what they were supposed to do.

Also check the tires. If you've been driving for a while with bad alignment and you re-align it with the old tires then the tires would have worn and be uneven so the car will still pull. I had it happen after I changed inner and outer tie rods on a Land Rover. Test drive after alignment, still pulling. Put the front wheels to the back and the back to the front without touching alignment, ran straight afterwards.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I know the guy I took it to does a great job so it must be the tires then. I needed to get new ones anyways.

30. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm trying to be my own mechanic here and replace the heater inlet/outlet assembly on a 2015 Cruze LT only to get the hose off the back of the water pump and realize that both hoses on this assembly are clipped to the engine and to another hose on the other end. How the frick do I undo these clips? I haven't seen anyone remove them in any video and I don't want to break anything.
    >t. Complete moron

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You have 3 options.

1) Remove everything the hoses connect to, that way you won't have to disconnect the hoses at all.
      2) Those clamps you speak of are one time use. You have to snip them off with cutters. You can buy the tool to crimp new ones, and also buy the clamps you would use with the diameter of the hose. Eg. 3/8ths clamp if it's a 3/8ths hose.
      >pic related
      3) Snip them off and use normal hose clamps instead, the ones with a flathead worm screw on the top. Tighten as normal.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I see what you're saying but I have those clamps, it's about halfway down the hose one is connected to the back of the engine block and the other end is connected to another hose. It's just to keep the hoses in place so they aren't flying around. They're these plastic clamps just holding them in place.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Do you have a picture? Some of those plastic clamps you talk about may have a small pinecone looking piece of plastic on the end that sticks inside of threaded holes in the engine block. You have to pull them out, sometimes they jam inside the hole, and most of the time they break offf entirely.
          >pic related, bottom of the clip

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That's the one. I'll yank it out. Thanks man.

31. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mudflaps on a car, do they do much of anything?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Not under normal driving conditions. The car is too close to the ground to kick up a rock high enough, it'll end up hitting the inside of the fender well before anything else. The main purpose of mud flaps on cars is to not get the bumper caked up with mud, on trucks it's more of a safety thing because trucks are tall enough where their tires WILL kick rocks up high enough to hit windshields.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

That makes sense. I guess they wouldn't do much to stop much smaller stones from damaging paintwork either?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It could work for that but the isue is you're going to be protecting the very bottom of the bumper which is an area that's already going to get scraped up anyways, a better protection option would be a PPF film or something similar. Don't get me wrong, they might help, but they only protect a very small portion of the car and for the price they might not even be worth it if that's the goal instead of just simple aesthetics.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>PPF film

Huh hadn't thought of that. Yeah I guess at best the flaps are going to only help a tiny amount. Cheers

32. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Current Car: '07 Fusion V6 inherited from Grandma. Reliable but she didn't maintain it like it should've been. Major cosmetic damage (from countless fender benders and hitting stationary objects) and the transmission fluid was never changed/flushed (so I'm not going to-it smells burnt and has 180k miles on it, worried the troony damage is already done)
    Looking For: "Fun" car in the same vein. I will be financing to build credit but with $5k Freedom bucks down. Prefer something with spacious front (I'm 6'5") so I don't feel like I'm getting in a clown car.
    Ideas?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

2017-2019 fusion sport, if you can find one that wasnt owned by a boyracer
      you can probably still find a 2023 camry TRD on a lot somewhere if you wanted new. its the closest thing to the V6 fusion
      if you can stretch your budget, a 5.7 charger would fit your bill perfectly

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>so I'm not going to-it smells burnt and has 180k miles on it, worried the troony damage is already done
      Change your fluids and filters you fricking idiot. Would you not change your oil because you found out it was 20k miles since the last oil change?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Transmission fluid that has never been changed and is burnt should never be changed, if you do the transmission will end up slipping more if not completely stop working. With automatic transmissions you either do the maintenance on time or not at all.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>thing might be ruined
          >guarantee thing gets ruined by refusing to do basic maintenance
          yeah

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>transmission running on borrowed time because it's about to shit out from no maintenance anyways
            >change the fluid because you think it'll help
            >fresh ATF flushes all of the gunk and material into the solenoids and valve bodies which would have otherwise stayed in place thanks to the detergents in the old ATF having broken down already
            >the friction material from the clutches held in suspension inside the old ATF now flushes out of the drain hole, new ATF doesn't have more friction material to make up for it
            >clutches start slipping, transmission finally shits out, whatever was holding it on life support is now gone but at least your new ATF is cherry red like it's supposed to be

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you can add a bottle of lucas transmission fix in a bottle to fresh fluid and it'll accomplish the same thing as having fluid thickened with gunk but if gunk is the only thing making the clutches grab, your remaining transmission life can be measured in tens of miles with or without a fluid replacement.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yeah but my point is doing the basic oil and filter change is just going to end up turning a "burnt but still barely working" transmission into a "burnt and no longer working" transmission.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i've probably changed the fluid in at least 10 auto transmissions with 150k+ miles on the fluid and have never had one go out or get worse. typically the shifting becomes crisper and they perform better. wives' tale imo.

• 1 month ago
            Bepis

When you hear those anecdotal stories, it seems like it’s people with trans issues, and they decide to get a flush and the new fluid does not fix their trans issue, so the car was probably 2000mi away from the transmission completely shitting out whether or not it had a trans fluid flush.

Maybe it could’ve held on 5000mi more limping it along and the flush knocked some stuff loose a bit earlier.

33. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Car makes loud knocking sound when coasting that seems to be related to wheel speed
    The noise goes away immediately with even a slight amount of throttle, even while in neutral
    Only happens when the car is moving

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

What car? Is it manual? Sounds like it could be an engine / transmission mount or related to the flywheel.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

automatic 96 c4
        The more I think about it, it has to be transmission related right?
        Its the only thing still connected to both the wheels and the engine while in neutral.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Do you have meyerhof lifters?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Is the sound from the front? Rear? I don't think these Corvettes came with driveshaft center bearings but you should check if the driveshaft has any play. Also the mounts like I said. It could also maybe be the converter.

Try to narrow down the sound. Does the engine make it with the car standing still? Put it in gear, step on the gas and accelerate a bit for a few seconds. Does it make the noise? Coast in an open area and shut the engine off while in neutral. Still making a noise? Start trying to narrow down the problem, going from "it could be engine / transmission / suspension" to "okay if it does it with the engine off it might just be the suspension" or "if the sound happens when the car is still then maybe it's just the engine", etc.

34. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

is it normal for a car to smell like gas upon startup after sitting for a while? (3+ months). not really worried about it. it’s just something i’ve noticed with all my projects.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes it's normal. They run a little rich when they've been sitting for long.

35. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What would you look at first if you noticed a squeaking sound like a bad belt when accelerating on an engine with a coolant leak around 50 miles from running dry and overheating (because this happened before my crown vic overheated from running dry on coolant from the leak I didn't notice). The water pump? Check the radiator?

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Check where the coolant is leaking from, could be one of a bunch of hoses. A hose could be dripping on the belt, water pumps often leak right at the shaft which can get on the belt.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'm this moron and got under my car, I don't know what this is other than maybe the oil pan but the silvery area in this pictureis where a pretty steady drip is coming from when I have it parked tilted forward. Is this the oil pan, I'm pretty moronic and don't really know what's what in this Haynes manual I got.

• 1 month ago
        Bepis

Looks like the oil pan, but is the leak coming from further up? Could be coming out of the seal on the big main pulley.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

If it's oil then it's your oil pan I imagine. That doesn't look good. How did that even get damaged. If it's coolant I would think your water pump is failing some of these have weep holes for when the seal fails or something and it leaks out the front.

Seconding this. It's probably the water pump. The leak might be coming from further up.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

what fluid is it?
        looks like coming from above and not the pan. if it's oil, I would look at your front crank seal. it antifreeze, water pump and hoses as the other anons said, could also be power steering fluid.

36. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How do I cram a V12 engine into a Mini Cooper?

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Take out the back seat and run a transaxle to RWD?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Ask if Cosworth got any more of dem 3-liter V12s that they gave Gordon Murray for the T.50.

37. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm going full moron on directional tires. I need to get a replacement because I picked up a nail. They're directional but with asymmetrical tread. The website doesn't have a way of picking left or right. Am I overthinking this? If the tire has to face one direction and if one side has to face outward, doesn't that mean they have to be made in pairs? If you put the left tire on the right wheel then the inside would be outside. But if you flipped it then it would face the wrong way. Do I have baby tier spacial recognition or am I right?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

They propably only make one type of those

38. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are German cars as bad as everyone says when it comes to owning one long term? I want to get my first project car and have considered a few German ones but am unsure due to all the fearmongering

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

My daily driver is a 20 year old BMW and so far it's one of the more reliable and low cost of ownership cars. Just dont be moronic with it. Change the oil, run premium gas and rev it up

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

What would you say is a ballpark figure of what I should pay for an old BMW? Assuming a more basic model since I figure most of the really fun ones are $$$

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I paid $7k otd for my 6Mt 3.0 X3 during covid prices, so probably $5k from a dealership for a decent BMW today

39. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm from DA
    I recently made $60k in crypto gains and was thinking about buying a car
    I came across a video recently about how maseratis have deprecated in value a lot from MSRP, like over 70%
    I can buy a 2005 maserati quattroporte with 30k miles on it for $13k. Should I do it? I'm assuming insurance + maintainence will cost a lot but at least I'm saving $ to put towards that by not paying much on the base cost of the vehicle
    There's also 2014 - 2019 models going for like $24k, $30k, etc
    I know there was a recall for a certain year range so I would avoid those in particular

How bad would I get fricked on insurance + maintenance? I'm in my 30s, no accidents or tickets.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Not a huge Maserati guy but they had bad years and I don't think 2005 is outside of them
      Insurance rates drop at 25 and continue dropping over the years
      Honestly I'd consider something like a Rav4 if you just want something reliable, if you want some luxury get a maintained Lexus

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

a 10 year old panamera is a way better deal for like 20k

Maseratis from that era had terrible transmissions if I recall correctly. There's a reason they've depreciated so much.

I see, makes sense
        Thanks, will pass on that and keep looking

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

a 10 year old panamera is a way better deal for like 20k

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Maseratis from that era had terrible transmissions if I recall correctly. There's a reason they've depreciated so much.

40. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

My power window started clicking three days ago every time I roll it up and down. Should I just book an appointment to get it replaced now? How long does a window regulator last once it's started failing?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

There's no telling, it could last 2 days 2 months or 2 years. The best thing is to try not to roll it up or down anymore. Also you could try pulling the door card off and spraying some white lithium grease on the regulator channels and cables. It could maybe give you a bit of extra time.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Okay, thanks friend.

41. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

As I understand it turbo exhaust manifolds tend to be cast iron (at least the log style ones do), and turbine housings tend to be cast steel. What about integrated manifolds/turbine housings, like picrel? Don't have one to test myself, only really interested in weldability.

42. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>looking into why my wipers don't work right
    >learn basic wiper system and basic diagnostic procedure
    >happen to find a video for a vehicle similar to mine, a little newer but same platform
    >tech does the full factory diagnostic
    >turns out it's a bad "governor module" which costs $240 for a shitty little IC any electronics nerd could probably make
    >watch another one for a vehicle similar to mine, same year
    >mechanic does full diagnostic with his scopes and probes and blah blah
    >turns out it's a bad harness connection, repairs with contact cleaner

why can't it ever be something simple, like "the motor just fricking died"
    a wiper motor costs way less than that stupid bullshit module, and every other wiper system part costs less than that

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Get a multimeter and you can get pretty damn far. Hell, even a test light. There are a lot of decent meters for <$40, picrel was $7 on clearance at Walmart and works great for automotive and general household shit.

A couple bucks more and you can get an AC/DC clamp meter that’s quite nice on automotive and household stuff. There’s an Amazon brand called Kaiweets with a ~$35 multimeter that has all the stuff you would expect, or an AC/DC clamp meter that varies like $50-$75 depending on sales. Or get the $5 Harbor Freight special and learn how to use it.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

i own a meter and a clamp and 2 scanners and a few test lights, also FORScan cause Fordcuck

i am saying that if you applied the normal old procedure in that first case you'd go through every component and find they're all working properly until you get to the more or less undocumented module (i don't know anyone who has heard of it, generic wiper systems don't have it, generic diagnostic procedures don't mention it) that is a dealer only item

instead of that absurdity, the factory manual should say HEY LOSER, IF YOUR WIPER ISSUE IS NOT TOTAL INOP BUT RATHER THEY FUNCTION BUT THEY'RE ALL FRICKED UP, IT'S PROBABLY THIS PART YOU'RE GOING TO LEARN ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF TOMORROW AFTER YOU'VE GIVEN UP AND PULLED APART THE WHOLE SYSTEM
        before you even start, cause you can just reach up under the dash, pull that fricker out, pop the cover and visually see any bad contacts

OBD2 cars are bullshit designed to give mechanics job security and people just put up with it
        instead of making shit easier they made the system 10x more complex and added a billion more failure points and failure modes

• 1 month ago
          Bepis

I’m halfway with ya. It gets worse every year, but with all the complicated bullshit and rain sensing wipers, if you want those new luxuries, at least there’s a computer that can help point you in the direction of the fault. However, there’s a thousand more fault points.

43. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What's the best way to "cheat" at a track day event or spectator drag event? I'm considering a sneaky pete nitrous system for my 01 Camaro SS. It's already gotforged pistons, rod, a cam and exhaust, looking to get a little more out of it so I can embarrass the import guys.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Replace pistons with nos canisters, they'll never look in there

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous
  44. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

how do I find rest stops if I'm driving alone and don't have someone to help type stuff into the phone? are they always at the exits or something?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>how do I find rest stops if I'm driving alone
      use carplay? siri? look at your atlas?

45. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How well would it have done for Chrysler? Presuming it didn't get kneecapped by Daimler or Fiat

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It sold ok, not really an exciting car

46. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Last engine oil change I got for a car was on the first of September, 2023.
    Since then I've apparently only put on ~1,260 miles on it. This included short trips (<10 miles), decent highway trips (~60 miles) and two very long highway trips (220 miles).

Will there be any issue if I wait to change it for a couple more months, or if I somehow hit 3,000 miles before then (not likely)? It's a sedan and uses full synthetic 0W-20. I'm a wrenchlet zoomer and just started driving recently. I'll check the oil after the next time I drive it regardless.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You can wait, it's fine. I would say full synthetics are able to last a little over a year if they haven't reached enough miles yet.

47. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

A shot in the dark - with two part epoxy, is it still "good" if I store it in an air glass paint container ? I just use this stuff to touch up rock chips so I can prime it and then later put paint over the primer. The primer sticks a lot better than shitty touch up paint pens. I'm trying to avoid opening the fan of catalyst and then the epoxy, measuring out equal parts, and then mixing it everytime I want to put some primer on. It would be nice to just have some always ready.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Ask yourself: when you apply the epoxy to the car, does the part that touches the metal, and is therefore protected from the atmosphere by the rest of the epoxy, stay liquid and ready for use? Or does it harden like the rest of it.

48. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If BMW gaskets are so shit should I use RTV with them? The book says not to.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

No, don't, unless the factory manual or a reputable source of information says to use RTV. I don't know which gaskets you're referring to, but if it's a head gasket, I would look into getting a multi-layered steel head gasket, if those aren't already a standard on BMWs. I had some made for a fiat a few years ago, local shop did the job for 100 bucks, which isn't too bad considering I couldn't get that head gasket anywhere else.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

valve cover gasket on the n52 which has been known to be shit and always leaks oil. BMW doesn't specify RTV but people report applying it to make it actually last 100k miles.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Ahh. I have a similar problem with my car's head cover gaskets.

just be aware that the block and head need to be resurfaced to a very smooth finish, much moreso than prepping for a regular graphite gasket. steel gaskets are not forgiving when it comes to prep work.

Oh, really? D-damn, glad I did that...

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

just be aware that the block and head need to be resurfaced to a very smooth finish, much moreso than prepping for a regular graphite gasket. steel gaskets are not forgiving when it comes to prep work.

49. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I am neither a woman nor a homosexual. Should I still look into one of these?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>look into one of these
      like through the window? Sure, I guess. Owner might get sketched out, though.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

theyre ugly but kinda unique. its the mullet of cars
      ranger, tacoma and colorado are better trucks but worse offroad. if you need a truck, get one of those three.
      wrangler is better offroad but worse at hauling shit around. if you need an offroad vehicle, get a wrangler
      these have all of the issues a wrangler would have plus frame rigidity issues
      if for some reason you need both but only have means for one car then get a gladiator. or if you have an autistic obsession with driving a manual with a solid front axle, then it’s your best choice

50. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

any fuel economy trackers for android?

51. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

picrel is how my keys have looked for the past 4 years. it’s time to fix this… or at least temporarily. would a hot glue gun be strong enough to keep these two pieces held together or should i opt for something ridiculously strong like jb weld?
    >inb4 replace it
    Black person if it still turns the motor over then im not spending money on a brand new key.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

No use epoxy like JB weld

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Also no one's going to crib your key but showing pictures of keys is how they get cribbed

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Weld it onto a screwdriver

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Baking soda and superglue.

52. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Should I buy a Haynes manual if I'm a wrenchlet and haven't even done an oil change before? Or is there a different set of babysteps I should take?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you can use youtube for almost everything haynes and chilton have to offer unless you have something weird like a pontiac G8 or a saab where theres no online documentation
      what thise manuals may have is wiring diagrams which can be useful
      in most cases youre better off saving your money and getting the full service manual

53. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Oilchange bros. Why does my uncle keep telling me you can't drive on the highway after a transmission fluid change? Is this boomerlore?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Boomers being boomers. It's like when my grandfather told me "the car has 70k miles so you should bump the oil grade in the engine up from 0W-20 to 5W-30 because the internals have worn down"

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Because your uncle and others probably never changed their transmission fluid until the 100k mark and at that point the trans is fricked already and the dirty/gritty fluid is holding that thing together and one you change to clean oil the transmission starts to slip and turn to shit.

54. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How much coolant should I expect to loose through evaporation and permiation?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Maybe enough to go from full to the low mark in five years.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The coolant system is a sealed system so any coolant that evaporates will condense back into itself when it cools down. Unless you regularly keep opening the coolant cap when the system is hot or the cap on your coolant reservoir is faulty or otherwise not sealing properly then you should not worry much about it.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>you should not worry much about it.
        Problem: I'm having a gradual leak then.
        It takes a few months, but I can see it going down slightly.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

How well off are you, financially speaking? You could possibly buy yourself a cooling system pressure tester on ebay and see for yourself. It pressurizes the system and wherever it's leaking from you'll be able to see it. Keep in mind this could also potentially (small chance but still a possibility) be a head gasket leak, which the cooling system pressure testing kit will not help you find.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

this depends on the car though, if it's like toyota where the overflow has a vent, coolant can over time evaporate out there. very slowly, but it does occur. You also lose some through the hoses, and with silicone radiator hoses, you lose even more since water permeates through silicone 15 times faster than regular EPDM rubber.

55. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm europoor and my life has no meaning, what's the coolest car I can get for about 15k euros? I'm tall (6'3).

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Get an old Range Rover or Discovery. Keeping her running will give your life meaning, plus those things are pretty badass, you feel like you’re on a safari whenever you drive it.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I've always been very attracted to Range Rovers even though I know nothing about cars, I want to take the girl I'm dating to adventures so it's interesting. Any models/years to recommend? Are automatic gearboxes reliable on these cars?

• 1 month ago
          Bepis

They’re beasts and unreliable at the same time. Probably need to go on some forums. If you actually test drive one and think about buying, make sure you cycle through all of the 4wd settings and such. They’re fairly complicated vehicles compared to a base model Civic, so it’s like buying a Mercedes S-Class, frickin incredible when everything is working but there’s also extra stuff to break and parts aren’t cheap.

Buddy had an early 00s I believe Discovery and the thing was awesome. The little fold down seats in the back. And in the winter, it was a champ. It’s one of the very few car makers who say “4WD” but actually sell the cars with locking diffs and you can actually go through some rough stuff.

56. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If it's oil then it's your oil pan I imagine. That doesn't look good. How did that even get damaged. If it's coolant I would think your water pump is failing some of these have weep holes for when the seal fails or something and it leaks out the front.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Looks like the oil pan, but is the leak coming from further up? Could be coming out of the seal on the big main pulley.

That's definitely coolant, it could be coming from further up, I couldn't get under the car well enough to see. Just went back in and squeezed down enough to get this, is that from the pulley there or maybe further up?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Water pump. Your water pump is driven by a pulley. So yeah, it's going to look like it's leaking from a pully . Maybe thermostat / thermostat housing but I don't know where you'd is placed. What car ?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Here's another beauty shot, I don't think there's water coming from anywhere above this big main pulley, everything is dry.

09 crown vic police interceptor, it does seem to be leaking from this big pulley

I'm absolutely fricking moronic, this is my first car I've ever tried anything but bring to the shop and bend over on, how fricked am I folks? If I just need to replace the pump I probably need to try it at least, but idk if I should be fricking with this.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Is this your engine anon? The water pump is the pulley between the alternator and the crank pulley. It must be that.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yeah that looks like it, but I don't think the water is coming from that center smaller wheel below the alternator but the larger wheel below it, which I guess is the crank pulley like you're saying? I'll go back out and look closer again but I didn't see any coolant between the two wheels.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I should tell you that water dries up when it's spread thin and accumulates in the lowest points like in your previous pic. Crank pulleys don't leak water at all, they leak oil. If you can sneak your finger in under the water pump pulley into that lower valley you should feel around and see if there's a small puddle under it.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I didn't feel any puddle under there, but then again I couldn't feel very deep since it was a small space and the engine was still a bit hot. It does make sense though, I was worried it'd be that crank pulley.

It may not be that bad. I'll watch a video. It's an interference engine but, you don't need to mess with the engine timing since it uses a timing chain and all that and that's behind the timing cover. I think it just got to mess with the big long serpentine or accessory belt and that's no big deal. Other than that, I think the gasket is just an o-ring so that makes life even easier cuz when you button it up it probably won't leak. So that's even better

Yeah I'll set aside a day this weekend for it and try it out.

Thanks a bunch guys, feeling much better about this now. My last question though, if it's *not* the water pump, how fricked am I? I only have maybe a grand I can dump into this without borrowing some cash or letting it sit, and I don't know if this thing is worth more than 2-3.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You can check the pump by taking the belt off and undoing the 4 screws holding the pump pulley to the pump itself. It helps to loosen them before removing the belt, then removing the belt and loosening them by hand. This will give you enough access to check the pump itself. If it's not the pump I would check the thermostat housing, on the left of the alternator. It's close enough to the timing cover where water can drip down and go out the front of the engine where the crank pulley is. Other than that, I'm not sure. As far as I'm aware there's no coolant that runs through the inside of this timing cover, and if there were, you'd have water and oil mixing together. Again, the crank pulley does not leak coolant, it leaks oil when the front crank seal goes bad. If you want to be extra EXTRA sure you should go to an Autozone and see if you can rent a cooling system pressure test kit, it's free. Or take it to a shop that does that kind of inspection.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Alright, I'll pull that belt and look deeper tomorrow, that's a good idea. Apologies for needing it drilled in, I'm kinda dense and nervous about this. Really appreciate the advice guys.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Can't think of anything else it could be. Could always dip some UV dye into your coolant and then check back to confirm the source. Outside of something insane and 100% unlikely like your blocked is cracked right at the water pump...it should be the water pump..

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

It may not be that bad. I'll watch a video. It's an interference engine but, you don't need to mess with the engine timing since it uses a timing chain and all that and that's behind the timing cover. I think it just got to mess with the big long serpentine or accessory belt and that's no big deal. Other than that, I think the gasket is just an o-ring so that makes life even easier cuz when you button it up it probably won't leak. So that's even better

57. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

hey guys is it worth dumping money in an audi a4 1.8t CVT? Ive had it for a while sitting. transmission never had issues. 181k km. i like the car a lot

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It's probably worth it if it's still chugging along. If you keep the maintenance up it'll keep going.

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Timing belt if it’s never been done… buddy had one around 105k miles and the belt snapped within a week of buying it. Had to get a whole new junkyard engine

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Timing belts on interference engines
        Pain

58. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

sup DA
    I'm going to the US this summer (I'm french) and wanted to rent a car for two months
    The cheapest car I can find with basic insurance in $3,700 for the two months
    Would I be better off buying a shitbox for 3.5k and selling it for less once I don't need it ?
    I don't know is the used car market in the us, I've read the sticky but still can't decide, I'm not a car guy
    I'm thinking that if it breaks after 3,000 miles it would still be cheaper than rental, and best case scenario I sell it for 2.5k if I'm in a hurry
    Can you find reliable cars at that price ?
    Do you know of any websites where random, non professional dudes rent their cars ?
    thanks

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Would I be better off buying a shitbox for 3.5k and selling it for less once I don't need it ?
      You're not going to find a reliable shitbox for 3.5k, especially when you consider the fact that you also need to register it and pay for the insurance on it separately. If nothing else you can try to Uber back and forth if you're not going to be driving much at all.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I'll be driving a lot, uber is not an option
        Is it impossible to find a half decent car at that range price in the us ?
        In france you can find a shitbox for 2k that will last you for a few years
        Bought my first Ford C-max (based) for 900€ and I just had to change the tires and do an oil change
        Is your market fricked ? I thought you were the ultimate car country

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I mean, as I said, the price of the car might not be the issue, it'd be all the registration and insurance that goes along with it. And apart from the purchase itself, it'd be the downtime of you needing to sort all this documentation beforehand. I guess if you want to go that route you'd need to do the whole process before you even get here and store the car until you arrive, but then you'd have to pay storage fees in wherever you keep it, etc. And additionally it depends on where you buy the car in the first place, some states mandate smog tests and inspections before registering, in some states insurance is legally required, so if you don't have insurance and you get pulled over you might be towed.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I'll read on the inspections, insurance and everything for a non-US citizen (I overlooked it to be honest)

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Check Turo

>Would I be better off buying a shitbox for 3.5k and selling it for less once I don't need it ?
      You're not going to find a reliable shitbox for 3.5k, especially when you consider the fact that you also need to register it and pay for the insurance on it separately. If nothing else you can try to Uber back and forth if you're not going to be driving much at all.

>You're not going to find a reliable shitbox for 3.5k
      This guy a moron. Ignore him.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Turo
        Thanks ! At a first glance it's a lot cheaper, I'll check it out
        >This guy a moron. Ignore him
        He has a point, I mean buying a car for a short duration is a hassle
        I'm not planning to go offroad, I just want a car that can handle 3,000 miles in two months, I'll check on craigslist anyway, and check how the registration and insurance works in the state I would buy it from

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

If you're going to rent a Turo car get your own separate insurance policy on it, the owner's insurance policy won't cover you

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depends on where you're going this summer. I can find any size reliable and decent car for $3000 here on the west coast. It will be 15-40 years old. If you're going to Seattle or portland, you can ride the bus/ lite rail to the used car areas and pick up one from a dealership.

Heres a random shitbox I screen shot a while ago. You can get $3k 4x4s as well if you want

59. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

[...]

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

deleted my post. my bad.
      already saw that video. The fill plug isnt there.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Can you give me your specifications then? Trim level, year, etc.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

2019 ford escape 2.5L
          is it a fill drain?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Bear with me.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous
          • 1 month ago
            Anonymous
          • 1 month ago
            Anonymous
          • 1 month ago
            Anonymous
          • 1 month ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/IurZlxS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JX7xp7Z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h3rHQ3Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cEdbwUV.jpg

Youre a life saver. Thank you.

60. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's getting harder and harder to get tyres for my 90s shitbox on 15inch wheels. I'm looking for 225/60r15s and it seems I'm either going with boomer bf Goodrich radial t/a, some brand named falken ziex or hankook k435. All sound shit but which is the least shit? Tempted to get the t/a just for the white lettering

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you can go down to 205/65r15s which should have more options since it's a very common tyre size. Your speedo will read 0.4% slower. are you in aus?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah austfailure. Not really keen on going down as I already can't keep rear traction and they doesn't really seem to be outstanding rubber made at that size anywhere. I just wish there was like an independent tyre testing body or something give them actual ratings

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

well i have good news for you, ive shilled this tyre in the past and now i have good reason to. dunlop sp sport fm800s. they are the grippiest tyre you can get in this size and for their performance, are insanely cheap. i was talking with a bunch of guys that were racing up and down old pacific highway late at night and when i mentioned that i had these tyres on my old car, one of them said that he currently runs them on his car (at which point i saw them) and that they currently hold the fastest time on old pacific hwy. i thought that these were some of the grippiest tyres i had ever used in the wet, but he reckoned that their wet grip was just as good as, if not better than, their dry grip.
          make use of that information as you will.
          the only downside is that they apparently do not last that long, i didn't grt to ask him, but other reviews of this tyre said that they last about 20,000 km nut i don't know their driving style.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

also going down from 225s to 205s likely won't be noticeable unless you're driving it near the limit. stickier compounds (which the fm800s seem to have judging by their performance ) will have a more significant effect

61. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What does it mean to lug the engine? I recently got a WRX and 1st and 2nd gear are fine, but in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, if I try to accelerate at all even the tiniest but while under 2k RPM the whole car vibrates like hell. And in 5th year specifically I can't even maintain speed let alone accelerate unless I'm above 2k. Does that mean I'm lugging the engine or what?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes you are lugging it. For any harder acceleration you want to downshift to a gear that allows rpm to be above 2500. Light acceleration is ok starting from 2000 rpm. Below that your engine can't make power or torgue to accelerate.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I would say lugging an engine is WOT below 1500-ish rpm. My BMW with the SMG automated manual trans would not shift in comfort mode until around 1500-2000 rpm and 50%-ish throttle input (dependant on incline). If the car is vibrating like hell at anything between 1500-2000 with little to no throttle, I'd say it's more likely to be a problem with the car as opposed to you lugging the engine. Normally heavy vibration will be notable at around 1000-ish, but anything above that usually just results in *mild* vibration, and a very deep exhaust note from the strain.

TLDR; I don't think your lugging the engine, check motor/trans mounts and other NVH perishables.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

STFU the WRX has a 2.0 Turbo boxer engine, it should never be below 2.5k rpm except idling

What does it mean to lug the engine? I recently got a WRX and 1st and 2nd gear are fine, but in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, if I try to accelerate at all even the tiniest but while under 2k RPM the whole car vibrates like hell. And in 5th year specifically I can't even maintain speed let alone accelerate unless I'm above 2k. Does that mean I'm lugging the engine or what?

Your a moron for upshifting too early. You're headgasket will blow over this. Also always put in premium gas. Carry octane booster in case the station only has 91 octane. Wrx should never go below 2.5k rpm once your in 3rd+ gear

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Lugging an engine is shifting into any gear that takes the RPM below idle

62. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looking to reduce glare in my windscreen from other lights at night
    Would autoglym glass polish and microfiber be enough after a car wash?

63. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Turning 30 soon, and the urge give in and go boomermode is becoming overwhelming. A place near me has a '98 manual Corvette convertible with less than 30k miles on it and they're asking for $23k. Would it be worth it if I talked them down to $20k? I have the money to buy it cash.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

that's a wee bit early for a classic boomer midlife crisis irresponsible splurge sports car purchase... it really is over for american "males" lmao

(don't bother arguing that the gm corvette isn't a sports car, i could not care less what you call it; i also truly do not care in which manner you choose to foolishly part with your money, it's all no different from setting it on fire)

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Have you considered maybe he just makes more money than you?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

It is a sports car, and that's why I want it. My old Accord is nice, but my wife already has a 2021 Rav for day-to-day stuff, so I thought I'd sell the Accord and get something just for fun. I'm not hurting for money so $20k minus whatever the accord sells for isn't a huge deal.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Don't mind him, everyone on DA is poor which is why we worship FWD shitboxes with blown-out "sport" suspensions and fear technology. What gen is '98, 4th or 5th for the Corvette?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

5th. I've already been warned of a few things to keep a lookout for, like rot in the clothtop, but any other advice and red flags would be appreciated.

64. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Based or cringe?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

based, just wish the I4 was about 5k cheaper
      square cargo areas > eggshit anyday

65. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

moron here. Is AWD actually worth it?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

if you love in an area where it rains and snows a lot, yes.

Other than that, not really.

>extra weight
      >worse fuel consumption
      >more shit that can break

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

For driving in bad weather on paved streets? Yeah. For off-roading? Frick no.

It can snow a lot, but the roads are plowed regularly. Am I going to be slip and sliding with FWD and winter tires?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Fwd is fine for that, but sometimes you need 4/awd and ground clearance for side roads, pulling over, back on the road, and driveways.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

For driving in bad weather on paved streets? Yeah. For off-roading? Frick no.

66. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Does anyone know if these BMW A356.0 17" rims will fit my 2011 Nissan Juke 6 speed SV? Thanks in advanced, praise kek

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Whats the lug but dimensions?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

My car is 7Jx17 ET47 I don't know what that means and I have nothing on the BMW rims besides the A256

67. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How do you dispose of engine oil?
    >inb4 just dump it in the ocean/sink/ground/street
    I''m not a Black person.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I once saw a high up MNR official dump coolant into a hole in the ground and cover it up with a few shovel fulls of dirt within 10 meters of a stream so clearly dumping things in the ground isn't that bad like that's where all this shit came from just put it back lmao

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I take it to the auto parts store and dump it in their oil collection tank.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Don't do this, they literally dump their oil collection tanks into the ocean

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>ALEXA WHERE IS THE CLOSEST israeli CEMETERY
      is not hard m8

68. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Considering getting my first truck in a few months, any decent options for around 15k? Looking for crew cab, v8, 4x4. I heard there's a few ford engines in particular to avoid but wasn't sure which ones

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I would personally avoid the ford 5.4 due to the two piece sparkplug design...but I think that's the only negative I've heard about them...I think the 5.0 coyote was a solid engine though.

69. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

On the left is my car, on the right is turbo version of the same motor. There is a cheap parts car near me and i want the look of the dual exhaust but not aiming to change the the sound.

I can:

1) RED: Cut the right muffler off and mount it as a dummy (tip is black so noone will be able to tell). Cut the left muffler tip off and weld onto my muffler
    2) GREEN: Cut the resonator and join it to my downpipes

70. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

i've been eyeing one -98 2.5 forester with EJ25D
    is this the engine that eats headgaskets? or shouldi just get the 2L engine one?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes the 98s blow headgaskets, no you should not get a 2.0 Forester, 2.5 engine is barely adequate. 2.0 would be slow. Just get better headgaskets for the 2.5 when the time comes

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

it's not a fricking race car, and i'm in eussr so the 2.0s are majority of them

71. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2016 sti or 2016 m235i

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Want a fun daily driver that i can take to the track on weekends. Ive done a lot of pavement based motorsport, but have never tried offroad rally and have always considered it. I have a child, but dont have an issue with 2 or 4 doors.

Do i lean into the sti or is the m235i a fun car?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

drive one and find out. fun is different for everyone.

72. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

For 'regular' German cars, such as VW Jetta/Golf, are they different from the stereotype of German maintenance?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

depends on location, though they may tolerate neglect more than their more expensive counterparts
      ive always surmised that German cars in America are more poorly built and less reliable than German cars in europe

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

german cars for the US market have fancy whiz bang gizmos and features that create more failure points for people to b***h about. in europe they're just regular everyday cars much like you'd view a camry or an accord.

73. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is there any reason why we don't use copper gaskets in cars like we do in high pressure systems? Is it just because the engine block and bolts are made of cheap shit that can't compress without stripping or cracking?

• 1 month ago
      Këbin Vann Damm

How does copper do with a million heat cycles? I know it work hardens and get brittle when flexed a lot.

It could just be cost too, copper’s not cheap and probably more expensive to stamp than whatever they use. It used to be used more commonly and still is in a few engines.

There are articles, sounds like head lift was a real concern, they need the gaskets to expand slightly with every burn cycle and I don’t think copper was great at that.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/engine/head-gasket-tech-pros-cons-mls-copper/

74. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

No Miata general, so asking here: 2017 MX-5 RF with 80k miles for 20 grand. Yay or nay? How are they to maintain?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Damn that's expensive for a 7 year old enthusiast economy car. Probably as reliable as anything else unless previous owner(s) were moronic

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Lowest price for a second hand RF right now in my nation. Also, I forgot to convert euros to USD: it's actually 22 grand, the second lowest is 24. I'd actually prefer a BMW E86, but it's three times more expensive to maintain (tax+insurance for sure).

75. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

hey bros, am finally about to have my driving test 😀 any tips

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

try to drive like a chauffeur. (don’t let the car’s weight throw itself around corners) but don’t crawl through corners either. Think about driving as smoothly as possible, Don’t floor it from a stoplight and don’t brake hard. Basically, don’t throw the instructor around. Don’t think about performance driving or having madskillzy0. Remember, there are sub80iq Black folk out there with a license. Don’t stress over it and drive the car as if you were the fanciest israelite in town.

76. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I recently came into possession of an old Audi 100. The floor has various stains of unknown origin and the fabric cleaner I had on hand didn't do shit. Is there any especially good cleaner out there or another better way to go about this?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Just use dish soap and warm water

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Tuff stuff. Otherwise just give up..

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Picrel works for most stuff. Sometimes you can use ammonia OR petroleum solvents like toluene

77. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If a used car is advertising "full coilover suspension" that essentially means that the suspension has been dropped to the ground and it can't go over curbs and my ass will hurt while driving it, right?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

not necessarily. post the car in question first. some cars naturally have good ground clearance due to the size of their tires, wheels, etc. Low ground clearance only becomes a problem if you throw coilovers onto something with small wheels like a miata or an older honda civic (1990-1999). Challengers and Chargers on the other hand can drive around town like that with 0 problems.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes

78. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Should I get a used car with less of a down payment or a new car with a greater down payment but the same monthly cost

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

buy a car you can afford

79. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

A point A to point B car for $2000 cash today? I have been eyeing those sexy mother trucking Honda CR-Vs for some time. I started a job last week and I'm using my dad's van.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

For two large you're in beggars can't be choosers territory in terms of cars
      Could you mostly daily a bike then borrow the van when you need it? $2,000 can get you a half-decent used dual-sport or some other single

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

If you're not lying your ass off I will look into bikes again because pre-pandemic I was trying to get one good ass honda grom for $1000. To be able to borrow that van whenever I want is the dream, but I see my dad push back a lot so I dunno

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>using motorcycle for commuting
          Unless you live in the Philippines, you'll be a splatter on the road in under a year.
          3 months if you live in Northern USA / Canada, with trugg drivers (love truggs, but one'd have to be delusional to think 99% of truggs aren't driven by maniacs, myself included.)

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yeah man, Facebook/Craigslist, I just looked near me some guy's flogging an old Boulevard for $1100 needs carb work and probably new tires, you could find something like that and leftover beer money

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Oh and don't get a Grom, if you're gonna have one bike get something real, Groms are for playing around on, not commuting

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If you're in central pooregon, you can pick up my old maxima from my brother. Its a fine car but I sent it down there cause i like SUVs better. The starter wire smoked but it roll starts really easily till you get around to fixing that. It Comes with a free dog if you want one.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>detailed information about car and its problems
        >dog information withheld

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

He has like 20 dogs. You can have a puppy male or female, an adult male or female, nice or mean dogs are available

80. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>lifetime air filter
    How can they get away with that?
    Is the "lifetime" of the vehicle 5,000 miles?
    Do they drive it in a clean room?

Got a Ford Focus 2007 with a "lifetime air filter".

81. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looking to get a new 2024 car between Honda Civic EX or Hyundai Elantra limited. Anything I should know about, especially since I'm new to buying a car

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I heard an ad for Hyundai/Kia and part of the sales pitch was that they are just about to open a state-of-the-art 50,000sq-ft shop for warranty work and I was like, "Yeah, you're gonna need it"

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

So, go with Honda? I like all the tech/features the Elantra limited has

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Eh, more shit to go wrong

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That so? Roommate says Hyundai is great for warranty but it sounds more like Honda is a lot more reliable. If so, Civic 2024 EX it is.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I mean, I get it, they have cool tech
            But my 2002 Suzuki has no tech and the only problem it's ever had was due to dealer-installed aftermarket tech
            I love my shitbox, bro, can you opt for a shitbox? Does it have to be a 2024?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, used cars are same or sometimes more expensive. 2023 models are only 200 bucks less

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yeah people are starting to learn that the older cars have real value
            Some dude offered me $1000 over what I bought it for when it had less than 500 miles last year
            Told him to rightly frick off

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That's a fricked up sentence I bought it at under 500 miles when it was new
            Some guy offered me more for it 20+years later

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The value of money has gone down a lot in 20 years.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That doesn't take into account the use of said shitboxes
            I've got more than two decades of farts in that seat, and people still want to sniff them
            Don't think about it too much or you'll realize inflation is a lie, taxes don't support the government, and the government just prints money to pay the loans they take against themself
            If you do that too much, you'll realize that old shitboxes are worth more than money, like actual, literal money
            Shitboxes are bought and paid for, and they don't have GPS

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

If you sell your vehicle for the same dollar value you bought it for 20 years ago, your vehicle has depreciated something like 40% of its value. I didn't read the schizo ramblings but I'm sure it was nice.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The warranty is only a selling point for Hyundai because they're so bad

82. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

with the rumors of a stellantis/renault/vag merger popping up, at what point are these mergers trusts/monopolies? how are they not already? stellantis owns 14 marques ffs

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

probably some loophole or some shit that lets them keep doing this

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

It will be fine. They’re like any other business sector that gets caught in bed with the gov’t. Look at defense contractors and airlines in the US… there’s basically 2 monopoly airlines and only 5 defense contractors and the couple monopolies are easier for the gov’t to manage than dozens of competing companies.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

They will absorb every car company operating in the US and stop producing ICE cars. The government will outlaw human drivers due to safety concerns. Everything will be driverless. Every older car unable to be modified to be driverless will be recycled into a fresh new pod. You will be renting the pod from Stellantis. You will own nothing and you will be happy. You will drive nothing and be happy. You will work and you will be happy.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

sorry, actually i'm not going to do any of that

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

it’s the same general problem as telecoms merging
      the market is saturated. there are no “bad” cars anymore. sure some cars are worse than others (Sprint was always worse than Verizon, but generally not noticeably so). it’s really hard to gain traction in a changing market. and rather than invest in the future (Sprint and 5G) its much easier to just get bought out by someone with that infrastructure (T-Mobile).

your shareholders (mostly private equity vampire types) are only in it to see number go up and mergers basically always make number go up. so you end up with these giant bloated companies that end up just gutting one side of the merger and continuing business as usual

83. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is there an easy way to tell if a vehicle has been lifted without removing a wheel? Bought a used evoque. The previous owner put 20s on it so it's a little higher. I m trying to get a bit more ground clearance but I don't want to buy the parts if a kit is already installed.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

find the same make/model in a parking lot and park next to it, get out and take a good look side by side

84. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How long would a 05 Lecrosse last? Mines at 210k miles and the fuel pump just died yesterday.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Any car will last as long as you're willing to buy parts for it. If you're referring to the short block, then so long as you look after it and adhere to a strict maintenance schedule, most cars built after the 80's/90's cars have the potential to last over 500,000 miles. There's an E39 M5 running around with 542,000 miles on the original unopened engine.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/07/18/2002-bmw-m5-e39-with-542500-miles/

Just look after your shit and your shit will look after you.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Usually the 3rd+ owner junks it over transmission failure/coils/fuel pump/various small problems, so no one really knows how long they can last if you actually fix stuff

85. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Wanting to get my first project car, how bad idea is getting an old BMW? Wouln't be my daily, just want something to wrench on as my current car is just a soulless econobox. In general what should I expect to spend on just getting a project car? I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible while still getting a some what fun car. All the Miatas in my area are crazy over priced.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If you are willing to do your own wrenching and don't mind doing a lot of that, it's a good idea. If you're not it's a terrible idea. It will need a lot of work.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah I'm planning on it being my learning car. Going to try to do everything myself. Would I be crazy trying to find something under 5k? Or am I better off saving for awhile?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

if you already have a reliable daily driver then why not? it’ll be an absolute money pit but go for it. just be sure this is a car you absolutely love and daydream about driving around. you cant look at it and go “meh i guess its kind of cool”, otherwise you’ll fall out of love with it and get rid of it A S A P

• 1 month ago
          Bepis

If you want to keep it somewhat affordable, get down on an e36 or something common. Aftermarket parts and used parts will be much easier to find and more affordable than some high trim
          5-6 series or a 7 series. Make sure the strut towers and side skirts are solid and not rusting out.

86. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sorry for the very moronic question.
    I came across this concept car which looks cool.
    I understand it's not real but supposedly it was designed to be buildable.
    How does the wheel cover in the front wheels work? It's supposed to be fixed to the wheels so it turns with them, much like rims, but unlike those, it doesn't rotate around the axle. How does that work?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'm not sure the wheel cover is supposed to move with the wheel, I think it's bolted onto the front diffuser and the bodywork at the back, you can even see the boomerang shaped thing attaching it below where it says "Sebastian"

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'm not sure the wheel cover is supposed to move with the wheel, I think it's bolted onto the front diffuser and the bodywork at the back, you can even see the boomerang shaped thing attaching it below where it says "Sebastian"

Never mind I'm a moron. Yes the wheel cover is stationary, the front wheel hub is hollow and that's what the cover attaches to.
      >pic related

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

It helps if I actually include the pic.

87. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

what do these 2 mean?

88. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I changed the front tires about 9 months ago.
    And now I hear squeak noises when I turn no matter what speed.
    I noticed it in the parking building first time, but I thought that was due to smooth ground, but it made the same noise even during simple turn.

89. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

what is this pink liquid in the tube

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

HRT. F1 is slowly transitioning to include LGBTQ+ cars into the line up.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *