Steering feels weird

Not sure how to explain this, but the steering on my car (rx-8) feels like an arcade game with broken force feedback. It’s a newer model car, which means an electric rack.
I’ve checked the suspension control arms and the bushings all seem fine. Not sure on wheel bearings. Replaced wheels & tires (balanced) recently. The mechanic found a leaking strut so I replaced all 4 corners with new parts as well, and although that improved things it’s still not fixed.
It’s hard to describe the problem, but it feels like when you turn the wheel gradually on a long turn that at some point the wheels will flick to the right momentarily. Kind of like the feeling you get with tramlining.
Any thoughts DA ?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    ate McDonald's, luv me bones

nice upper control arm.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I’ve been boycotting McDonald’s since BLM.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sorry, didn’t describe the issue too well.
    When taking a sweeping left turn the steering wheel will be at the same angle the whole time, but mid-way through or so sometimes you’ll get a sensation that the tires have slipped or gone to the right (opposite end) momentarily. Happens on left or right turns, doesn’t matter.
    Can be disconcerting on switchbacks because it happens randomly, so the steering can feel floaty even when the car is moving fine. Almost like the feedback you’re getting is momentarily totally wrong.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Maybe the front tires are just heating-up mid-sweeper, gripping, and causing sudden understeer?
      How noticeable is this?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Pretty noticeable. Doubt it’s the tires. I’m on my third set (car came with a set, put on new winter tires, just put on new michelin PS4s

probably a side effect of having an electric power steering rack

That’s what I’m afraid of.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

probably a side effect of having an electric power steering rack

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

This, there is barely any feedback on NDs aswell because of the electric steering. I assume they used the same system on the RX8.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Have you gotten an alignment? When I replaced the control arms on the E92 steering felt completely messed up until I got an alignment.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No. I need to get one. Will try tomorrow I guess.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

100% alignment

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

ok, getting an alignment done now. Hope it fixes things.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Alignment I think has fixed it. Will drive it some more on better roads later. Sometimes still feels weird but I think that’s because the roads here are kinda crappy (wavy/uneven surfaces).

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Sorry for the sideways image, but the numbers are Pre-alignment & post alignment (left to right)
            On the left-hand side are two sections, Front wheels and Rear wheels. Front wheels have 3 sections (Caster, Camber, Toe), rear wheels also have 3 sections (Camber, Toe, Thrust Angle)
            Alignment guy said the front & rear were pointed a little bit weird.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Sorry for the sideways image, but the numbers are Pre-alignment & post alignment (left to right)
            On the left-hand side are two sections, Front wheels and Rear wheels. Front wheels have 3 sections (Caster, Camber, Toe), rear wheels also have 3 sections (Camber, Toe, Thrust Angle)
            Alignment guy said the front & rear were pointed a little bit weird.

better image

Have you checked the Tie Rods that come out of the steering box? That symptom does sound like one or both might be a bit loose and worn out, I know its a pain in the dick to replace them but give them a look first

I don't think they really checked that thoroughly when I brought it in to the mechanic earlier. They were kinda pressed for time. I can get those looked at.

I just did a full suspension overhaul on my car, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, alignment, even replaced the steering rack and pinion since it was gushing fluid (I replaced it before the alignment). Literally replaced every bushing in the car except the engine mounts which are on their way to me now.

I've had the same issue since I did everything. If I'm going around a corner it seems like the steering angle changes mid corner. I've also noticed when going over rough or uneven road I need to adjust the steering angle way more than before. It's driving me fricking nuts since I didn't have these issues before replacing everything. The car feels much better after replacing everything but the steering alone is almost intolerable. I've checked every bolt and nut I messed with and I'm about to mount a camera under the car to make sure the rack and pinion isn't moving around.

My problem isn't related to the road being rough or smooth though. It's just immediately apparent on smooth roads because you can't blame it on the road being bad anymore. I've felt weirdness on rough roads before but a lot of it was up to the tire type and stuff and is something I consider basically unavoidable. Something that feels perfect on a smooth road might not cope as well with rough roads.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Sounds like bump steer.
      Did you lower the car?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yes. Switched out the 19" wheels for 17" wheels, but otherwise nothing else really changed (swapped out shocks too but kept ride height basically unchanged). The thing is though, it happens even on smooth roads.
        I just had a chance to drive it some more and it still seems unfixed, if a bit better after the alignment. Will try to get it checked out again tomorrow.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

If you went with a different brand of shocks, then your rebound characteristics might have changed and could cause the symptoms you're describing, what type of shocks did you get?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

This was happening before and after the shocks. Went from leaky OEM shocks to new ohlins.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

"Bump steet" happens when the suspension is compressed- which also happens when a vehicle leans in a turn.

• 4 weeks ago
            game is dogshit

hmmm… I discounted this because on my previous rx8 I went from the stock 18” wheels to 17” wheels and it was fine. But this one came with OEM 19” wheels and I’m down to 17” wheels so maybe that’s a big enough change to cause issues?
            To clarify what it feels like: pretend you are driving on s-curves/chicanes. First you gradually turn left, then you right to a gradual right turn. As you gradually go from left to right and crossover the neutral steering wheel position, the wheel will resist going right momentarily. Then that resistance goes away and it feels normal.
            This sensation happens in other situations as well, but seems most noticeable in the above scenario, where it feels like you’re fighting something to get the wheels to go the direction you want.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well that just sounds like a weird kind of binding happening in your steering

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah, exactly. It feels like something rubber or something is binding. Just not sure how to fix or identify what part it is.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I just did a full suspension overhaul on my car, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, alignment, even replaced the steering rack and pinion since it was gushing fluid (I replaced it before the alignment). Literally replaced every bushing in the car except the engine mounts which are on their way to me now.

I've had the same issue since I did everything. If I'm going around a corner it seems like the steering angle changes mid corner. I've also noticed when going over rough or uneven road I need to adjust the steering angle way more than before. It's driving me fricking nuts since I didn't have these issues before replacing everything. The car feels much better after replacing everything but the steering alone is almost intolerable. I've checked every bolt and nut I messed with and I'm about to mount a camera under the car to make sure the rack and pinion isn't moving around.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Have you checked the Tie Rods that come out of the steering box? That symptom does sound like one or both might be a bit loose and worn out, I know its a pain in the dick to replace them but give them a look first

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

So it’s only like $180 for all of this (front inners will be autoexe) so I’m thinking I’ll just replace them all. Anything else I should do while replacing the front tie rod ends?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

AFTER you did an alignment?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

….
        I might be moronic. Also didn’t realize how cheap prices were, so I didn’t do these with the shocks.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

….
        I might be moronic. Also didn’t realize how cheap prices were, so I didn’t do these with the shocks.

A reputable alignment shop will check your suspension before doing the alignment. Its useless to align a car with loose suspension parts unless the customer really wants it done.
        For your weird trmalining effect, do you have a data logger? You can watch your effective vs actual steering inputs to see if something is mechanically or electronically funky

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>do you have a data logger?
          Something like a datalogging app based on obd2 data? I have one of those bluetooth obd2 dongles but nothing other than that yet for datalogging. I can probably take it to a tuner shop later and get it looked it, they're just really far away so I'll have to get it figured out.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Ya... Itll need to be those $300+ machines. Most shops should have one, not necessarily just for tuning. It can do all sorts of shit like reprogram steering, activating solenoids, etc.
            Actually your bluetooth dongle might have a steering reset. Should be called SAS recalibration or something

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Ok, thanks. Drove it some more tonight. Seems much improved, but still there. Will take it on a longer drive tomorrow and get the tuner shop to hopefully take a look at stuff like that. They'll at least test drive it for me and notice the same thing, I hope.
            If not I'll start replacing tie rods (car is 14 years old / ~100k miles almost anyway)

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

If the tie rods arent loose, replacing them wont fix anything. Its a waste of money especially since you need to realign it again after replacing them.
            If anything, at this point, itd be your steering rack that has internal play, but again hard to rule out without data and the alignment shop should have caught it since the machine should pick up on the fluctuations.
            Stop shooting the parts cannon at it

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Stop shooting the parts cannon at it

🙁

Alright, will see about the calibration/settings then.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Also now that i think about it, how are your brakes? Are any dragging? Is your ABS light on? If for some reason ABS is activating on one wheel itll simulate a pull.
            Try driving with ABS off. If it wont turn off, pull the ABS fuse.
            Weird. But it wont cost anything to try

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Brakes are new and were just replaced (fluid, rotors, pads all new). No lights are on, and car had an inspection about a year ago for various basic things. It looks like it sat outside for awhile undriven though (some cosmetic rubber on the outside was dry-rotted, paint clearcoat peeling in a couple places, etc.)

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Anything else I should do while replacing the front tie rod ends?
      Check the mounting points for the steering rack and make sure they're tight so the rack isn't moving around.
      Also check for slop in the steering shaft.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
  7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

haven't read the whole thread, but mazdas are prone to rust and i've seen rusted out and broken control arm at the trackday once

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's a know issue with these cars that the radiator overflow bottle leaks directly onto a power steering circuit plug. Causes the symptoms you are having. Look it up online, but you need to clean the shit out of the plug, replace it if the contacts are corroded and then run a longer overflow drain line. T.RX8 owner.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Is there any oil to change for the power steering?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *