Sup?

Sup DA, not a frequent flyer here, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

My car has a sun roof. It's a VAG car and the sunroof is pissing water into the footwells. I've had it looked at 4 times by one mechanic, who still hasn't fixed it. Plan is to take it elsewhere. In the mean time, the other garage has suggested taping the sunroof to stop any more water getting in. They're reluctant to permanently seal it without investigating, as this can reduce car value a lot.

What type of tape should I use? Preferably something that won't strip the paint off.

Heard good things about helitape, but heard it's hard to get off. Also good things about gorilla tape, but that has a risk of taking paint.

Any ideas?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Can I tape it
    Beyond your skill level apparently since you had to go to 4 morons who couldn't tell you to just change the weather sealing. Best bet is to trade it in bro maybe something less of a lemon

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>change the weather sealing
      it's not the weather sealing, it's the shitty design of vag panoramic sunroofs. can't do anything about it atm. won't buy another VAG though.

just need a temporary seal for it that won't eat the paint.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

As for the leak you've either got clogged drain tubes or one of the tubes came off. I had the latter happen on an Explorer and water would just pour out of the headliner when it rained. It seems the gasket around the glass is only to keep some of the water out with the rest is handled by the drains. I dropped the headliner down a bit on that corner and sure enough the hose was a good two inches from the nipple. I put a clamp on it so it wouldn't happen at that point again.

As for the tape you want some Automotive Refinish Masking Tape.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

seconding this, flush your drain lines

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Been done. Garage has had the car 4 times to investigate the issue. My guess is this time they didn't fit the drain tube back properly. Planning to get money back and go elsewhere. For now, I need something to stop water getting in.

https://i.imgur.com/lozeGOa.jpg

As for the leak you've either got clogged drain tubes or one of the tubes came off. I had the latter happen on an Explorer and water would just pour out of the headliner when it rained. It seems the gasket around the glass is only to keep some of the water out with the rest is handled by the drains. I dropped the headliner down a bit on that corner and sure enough the hose was a good two inches from the nipple. I put a clamp on it so it wouldn't happen at that point again.

As for the tape you want some Automotive Refinish Masking Tape.

Will automotive masking tape withstand speed/wet?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Is it under warranty? If so go to a different dealership.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Not under warranty annoyingly. This shit's been going on since October and I'm fricking sick of wet vaccing water out. Needs a permanent fix, but anything to stop this shit temporarily would be good.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Been done
            You don't know that unless you do it yourself. It's not hard and there's a million videos that show you how to flush and clear the drain lines

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, my bet is they didn't reconnect the lower drainage tube properly on rear driver's side. The car's been nothing but hassle, and I aim to shift it.

Other consideration I've had is to use helitape, and then cut through when it wants 'unsealing'.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The design is fine, I've had an mk7 with the panoramic sunroof for 2 years while abroad in Belgium and never had this issue. Just make sure the drain pipes are OK and change the weather sealing if need be.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>VAG car
    is it an audi? all the stories i've ever heard of a leaking sunroof have been audis.

If so it's very likely the sunroof drain in the A pillar that's causing this. Apparently sunroofs are somehow designed to allow some leakage past the first seal, which in turn is drained before it accumulates to a point where it'll leak into the cabin.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

disregard drain story I haven't read any post beyond the OP before posting this.

still curious to know whether its an audi or not

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's a VW. They're part of the same group of cars that I'm never buying again. The sunroof I have is the same part they use in Skodas, VW, and Audis.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Alright, well, a colleague of mine had an Audi with the same issue. Also had the drain fixed or checked out and the leaking returned after a while. After that he just closed the thing off with silicone sealant. That worked for years until he sold the thing.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That's what I need to get done, but it'll take a while to get a time slot in the garage I can actually make. Their sunroofs are famous failures. I've just wet vacc'd the car and put a proper dehumidifier in it to try to get moisture out. We've had the wettest winter I think I've ever seen, and have had the misfortune of this car all the while.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a small moonroof for the front passenger because the big sunroof was not available for the plug-in version of my car because of weight and homologation bullshit in Europe, however I’m happy with this optional I’ve never had before even though I would’ve enjoyed more the big one.
    The only issue I have with it is that if I open the curtain to let the light in without opening/tilting the glass, I get aerodynamic noises above 90/100 km/h so I keep the curtain closed on the highway.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>tfw moldy seatbelts on my s4 even though i cleaned the drains
    >gti is trying to do the same exact fricking thing

I like vw stuff but no more sunroofs for me. I barely even use it.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Snip off the duckbill at the end of the drain lines, they terminate inside the wheel wells. At least on a Porsche Macan they do, I'm assuming it's the same for this VW. Flush your drain lines too.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Don't do that. Take a flashlight and look for drains in the track. They get clogged by dirt and leaves and other nature. If it's not that, take the interior a pillar panel off and visually inspect the hose that runs down it.

Inspect it yourself and try to fix the underlying problem rather than trying to literally tape over it.

I don't know about your car, but I have dealt with leaks in Toyota sunroofs.
      The seal around the glass is not expected to completely seal out water. There are crevices underneath to catch the water and direct it to gutters around the windshield and back windows or drain tubes. If the tubes or gutters get clogged or displaced, the water can overflow the crevices into the cabin. On models with an all-glass panoramic roof, there is a tray assembly that sits under the glass and catches the water, rather than it just being formed into the body metal. The tray is expected to seal to the body, and can leak water into the cabin if those seals go bad. The technically correct way to fix it is to lift off the whole roof assembly and replace the seal, which is very expensive. Some people have posted about caulking around the tray without removing the roof with some success.

The garage will look at it properly. Taping is a temporary measure to stop further ingress at this stage. If it continues to be a pain I might get PPF on the roof.

If people would like to start answering the question about which type of tape to use to avoid fricking up the paint, that would be swell. Because it would be nice to stop the water ingress temporarily, until the garage I have already paid to do this work, takes it back in and completes it.

My gf has a stupid piece of shit mk7 all track that has the exact same problem. Got certified under warranty with 25K miles, and still have unresolved issues now, before and after the extended warranty ran out. They cleaned the drain lines and spider traps (multiple times), replaced the head liner and other components damaged by water leakage, which still did nothing. Eventually took it in for literally a month to apparently reweld the roof seems, and the piece of shit still leaks a little bit.

Yeah I won't buy another VAG car. I thought they were supposed to be somewhat robust, parts aplenty and easy to fix. Thing has bee a fricking nuisance.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>no, i don't want to fix it, i just want it less bad! surely the garage will take care of it on the 5th visit!
        pure definition of insanity

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>pure definition of insanity
          no lad, in the UK they're obliged to fix the work they've been paid to do. if they don't, they owe a full refund. they have every reason to want me gone and not to come back at this point lol

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>they were supposed to be somewhat robust, parts aplenty and easy to fix.
        Yeah but then Hitler lost

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Burn

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't do that. Take a flashlight and look for drains in the track. They get clogged by dirt and leaves and other nature. If it's not that, take the interior a pillar panel off and visually inspect the hose that runs down it.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Inspect it yourself and try to fix the underlying problem rather than trying to literally tape over it.

I don't know about your car, but I have dealt with leaks in Toyota sunroofs.
    The seal around the glass is not expected to completely seal out water. There are crevices underneath to catch the water and direct it to gutters around the windshield and back windows or drain tubes. If the tubes or gutters get clogged or displaced, the water can overflow the crevices into the cabin. On models with an all-glass panoramic roof, there is a tray assembly that sits under the glass and catches the water, rather than it just being formed into the body metal. The tray is expected to seal to the body, and can leak water into the cabin if those seals go bad. The technically correct way to fix it is to lift off the whole roof assembly and replace the seal, which is very expensive. Some people have posted about caulking around the tray without removing the roof with some success.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

and I thought my t-tops on my turdgen were dogshit kek

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My gf has a stupid piece of shit mk7 all track that has the exact same problem. Got certified under warranty with 25K miles, and still have unresolved issues now, before and after the extended warranty ran out. They cleaned the drain lines and spider traps (multiple times), replaced the head liner and other components damaged by water leakage, which still did nothing. Eventually took it in for literally a month to apparently reweld the roof seems, and the piece of shit still leaks a little bit.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *