Sup fellas, gonna be in the market for a new (used) car soon and since I moved to a place with more challenging winter conditions I've been looki...

Sup fellas, gonna be in the market for a new (used) car soon and since I moved to a place with more challenging winter conditions I've been looking at Subarus.

Does anyone have a Forester, XV/Crosstrek, Outback, or Legacy? Can I get something good for $10-15k?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's a good price range for 1 owner cars at 130k-160k miles from approximately a decade ago.
    Try and find the most bone stock unmodified one you can.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>That's a good price range for 1 owner cars at 130k-160k miles from approximately a decade ago.

That's pretty much exactly where I'm at. I drive about 8k miles a year so I just need something reliable that will keep me on the road in shitty weather on roads that aren't plowed or sanded at all times.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just get an LCI E90 335i xdrive, already.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's ideal if you're a woman (man) with a partner (butt buddy)

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>it's a another, i NEED """"""""""""awd"""""""""""" for 3 inches of snow for one day a year and will decide my entire vehicle purchase upon this

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It NEEDS to be ugly slow and gay too! I just won't have it any other way!!!

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Fortunately we live in a country that lets you drive whatever you want, not just what you
      >"need"

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I live in Norway, I'm on winter tires at least 6 months of the year.
      gay.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ok the cars in the OP list are still gay as frick

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Maybe I'm a gay?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nah gays have more style.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So what car do you drive?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Which one?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Whichever one has the driver's seat angle adjuster broken down by overuse

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I gave that one to my mom already. I only have pics from when I bought it.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I paid around $5k for my 02 forester. Its pretty good. But if you like automatics you can get them cheaper. I wouldn't spend $10k on a Subaru cause it will still blow its head gasket and need a bunch of suspension work.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>it will still blow its head gasket
      hasn't been true for at least 15 years

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Literally just get a goddamn LCI E90 335i xdrive already. I'll post some screenshots after I take a shit.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

?t=638
      >gay lives where it snows
      >owns a miata and wrx
      >wrx is TOO SLOW LOL
      >"E90 335i xdrive"

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a Corsstrek and mine goes through oil like crazy, but apparently that’s fixed in the newer models. 115k miles and it’s still running so. Other than that, the interior feels cheap and it has basically no giddy up and go at all and you can forget it if my backseat and truck are full but it’s fine as a sort of daily driver I guess.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've been looking at Subarus quite a bit myself.
    >non-turbo = slow but affordable
    >turbo = less reliable and expensive
    >all "SUV" models claim to be off roaders but have CVTs
    What the frick. If they sold a lifted WRX, without inflating the price, I'd be down to buy one. As it stands, not thank you to their entire line-up.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

CVT works off-road too. Its actually easier in mud & snow cause it isnt a gmt800 going from 3.1 to 1.6:1 on the 1-2 shift. Subarus 1st gear is super low too, they can crawl

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Look to each their own but I want enough power to be able to pass someone or to pull out of a stopped lane into a fast moving one etc. That is to say, I want enough power to not be a passive victim in traffic. For me, I equate this to a 0 to 60 time of around 7 seconds and I have a budget of about $30k. I just don't want to sign up for more than that.

Okay, so a crosstrek would work and the wilderness edition, despite the awful gold plastic bullshit, is a neat concept but a 0 to 60 time of 8.6 seconds is unacceptable. The other wilderness lines are all $40 too which frankly, can get you a nicer vehicle. The WRX is cool, 271hp, manual transmission and a base price in the low $30's. It seems perfect but because of where I live and my hobbies, I actually do need approach and departure angles. Therefore, with regards to Subaru, I'm out.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, in my limited experience with CVTs they're pretty sluggish from a dead stop, but once you get going they can accelerate fast to overtake. At least if they have some faux kickdown mechanism

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get some solid snow tires for your current car before you decide you need to change. Nokian, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental. Odds are you'll be fine so long as what you have is FWD and the roads get plowed regularly. I managed to live with my RWD 3er for several years up north with a set of Hakkapellitas.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also, used Subarus are a real crapshoot. They get beat on and neglected like they were Toyotas or Hondas, but they aren't as good at taking that abuse.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i got a '11 forester for same $ last year. it has the fb25, there was a recal for oil burning in a lot of the motors, so check the vin and try to not get one of these. mine is a 7xxxxx and so far so good. manual trans too!

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I drove a base ‘10 Outback for like 12 years. Slow and basic, but it never had any serious issues at all and worked really well in Canadian prairie winter.

I just got an Xterra to (mostly) replace it, only because it’s at 300K km and I wanted a second car.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got a 2015 Outback 3.6R when they released and still have it. The CVT was completely replaced at like 30k due to a recall, it burns a frickton of oil, and sometimes the moonrooof vents get clogged and water ends up leaking through the A pillar headliner. I had to bring it to the dealer for a strange electrical diag recently and got a new 2024 Outback turbo as a loaner... it was awful and made me miss my 3.6R so badly. There is so much lag in the acceleration and steering by comparison that it just doesn't feel nice to drive. They have also gone the route of replacing everything with a giant screen. Would definitely avoid the newer Subarus if you occasionally like to enjoy a spirited drive.

tldr... If you're going to get a Subaru get an old one, but be prepared for occasional "quirks"

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a ‘23 base model Impreza with the 5 speed and my biggest gripe so far is the goddamn “rev hang” or whatever you call it when shifting. Also the utter lack of onboard diagnostics aside from warning lights which is wild but fixable with a obd dongle and my phone. The screen is hardly bigger than said phone and is easily ignorable compared to most I’ve seen. It also has 3 dial HVAC and an ignition with a key. No eyesight or whatever Subaru calls their technology package. It feels like a base model car from 2010 and I love it. My understanding is that Subaru is going all CVT for most of its lineup going forward, as well as the McScreen.

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Look for a Crosstrek around there.

Easy to park, okay mileage, fantastic AWD.

Boring interior, shit audio systems, kind of dull to drive. (Not spineless but if you're not already doing 55+ giving it more gas won't impress, let alone excite)

If you're a big dude you might have a bad time though.

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are Subaru diesels bad? I didn't get the full rundown but a family friend who drives Subaru just said to never buy one

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *