>tfw you realize the designers and engineers gor it right and any modifications only makes the vehicle worse

>tfw you realize the designers and engineers gor it right and any modifications only makes the vehicle worse

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Modifications often look bad because they are the owner's specific preferences. Not necessarily what the design team thought the majority of people were looking for.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

one exception i can think of is the xv10 camry and the 3vz-fe v6.the engine runs insanely rich from the factory and the exhaust y-pipe that connects each cylinder bank is a horrible, horrible T-junction with an internal baffle that restricts flow. getting a decent aftermarket pipe and leaning out the air fuel ratio actually gives it a bit of power.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Mass produced vehicle made for the mass market got it perfectly right the first time
    >Trust the science!

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yes. A vehicle can be good or bad or somewhere in between, but modifications installed by the owner never make it better, only worse.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Really? You can't make a car handle objectively better than stock by lowering it a half inch - an inch? You can't make more power than stock? le epic fail

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You can do all those things but it still makes the car worse, and not better. It will ride like shit, look stupid, and everyone with a triple digit IQ will think you're a teenager.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Does a Dynamat kit make a car worse? That's not original equipment.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Ah so now it's just "worse" by your subjective opinion.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, it's objectively worse. It rides like shit, because you changed the suspension geometry and put on stupid rubber band tires, which is why the car is now worth less.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Stop protecting shit you've seen on the internet onto every car, you sound like a moron

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What about if you replaced the suspension and wheels with a sports package which came from your manufacturer?
            That's really fricked you up now.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's different. But few people do that. Instead its mexicans cutting springs or throwing on chinese coilovers thinking they now have a track car

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

See

It will make it better. A small drop, .5 - 1", will instantly eliminate some wheel gap which is *subjectively better aesthetically, will handle better, and won't compromise ride quality noticeably

[...]
            Nobody said any of that. We get it, you drive a boring npc mobile. Are on the upper range of demographics for this website, your brain is getting slower, dumber, and likes to think in simplistic terms and groups stance kids and squatted trucks and lumps any modifications into the same category. Post your car so we can marvel in its perfection, bus rider. Or toyota Black person, I'd like to wager.

Just leave if you don't like cars.

, you are thinking in overly simplistic terms. You also just admitted that sometimes engineers are hamstrung by cost/efficiency/mass appeal goals, and the car they might actually want to make (the performance package) has to be sold special order and for extra money, therefore taking out the foundation of your entire argument this thread. Please reflect on this and grow, or have a nice day. Either way, don't post in this thread again, or ever make another one.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA
            >that's different, putting OEM branded bilsteins into your MX5 is different from putting non-oem branded bilsteins into your MX5 because IT JUST IS OK
            AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
            AHAHAHHAHAHAH
            AHHAHAHHAHAH

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you're getting this offended for me noticing that 99.99 percent repeating of car mods suck ass then you probably drive some clapped out riced out piece of shit anon. Not my problem.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

AHAHAHAHAHAHA NOW ITS 99.9%
            HE'S ALREADY FOLDING BROS
            AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

But you're not an engineer, anon. You'0re a brown teenager. Everyone thinks they're the exception when they're really just the rule.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"EVERY CAR MOD MAKES IT WORSE"
            >"..ok actually only MOST mods make the car worse"
            Yeah walk it back buddy this is hilarious.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Not most, statistically all.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"statistically" all
            What happened to "all" all bro?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well, all the ones you've ever done. We can leave the statistically out for that. Your ice blue walmart LEDs, bolt cutter lowering kit, and other Black personish mods

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Still waiting to hear how subframe connectors and a panhard bar in the back of a foxbody are Black personish and/or ruin the car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So now instead of all mods its just the ones you're pretending to strawman onto me?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Your ass is statistically is made for my dick.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You made a shitty thread to goof on brown teenagers which is fine but go to /misc/ and leave your dumb ass takes about cars out of it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So only the engineers that make the performance/comfort/reliability/efficiency parts are the ones allowed to install them? That doesn't seem like a very good business model.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>brown teenager
            these make my penis become the big penis

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wanna know OP, do you think a Dynamat kit makes a car worse?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Dont bother bro he just ignores all the posts which B him TFO

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It makes it heavier, which could be considered worse. Was more thinking along the lines of drivetrain, suspension, wheel, tire, and other visual mods. Dynamat would probably be the least offensive as long as you dont use it to blast shitty music at an unreasonable volume

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

B-but it's not the PERFECT VISION OF THE ENGINEERS1111! And now you're arguing FOR performance, which goes against all of your other criticisms which usually talk about how making a car louder/ride harsher is bad.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It will make it better. A small drop, .5 - 1", will instantly eliminate some wheel gap which is *subjectively better aesthetically, will handle better, and won't compromise ride quality noticeably

Buying shitty rims and following fads doesn't make you unique.

Nobody said any of that. We get it, you drive a boring NPC mobile. Are on the upper range of demographics for this website, your brain is getting slower, dumber, and likes to think in simplistic terms and groups stance kids and squatted trucks and lumps any modifications into the same category. Post your car so we can marvel in its perfection, bus rider. Or toyota Black person, I'd like to wager.

Just leave if you don't like cars.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah because lowering a car just gives it worse suspension and looks uglier for no benefit

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

replacing a plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one makes the car worse?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

so there's no way to personally improve a vehicle at all?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/DA7hUvp.jpeg

>Put new tires on from factory that cost 50 dollars more per than factory tires.
        >Improve track time, stop time, acceleration time. and wet weather grip.
        > Get told by Ford engineer they put on the smaller tires to fit in the wheel well not for money saving.
        >Vehicle safety requires shiity choices by manufacturers.
        > After market bumper looks 5x better and is illegal because its too pointy.
        Stock cars are for NPCs

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah I'm sure my vehicle's designers got everything right when they used a nest of vacuum lines and a superheated intake manifold to adhere to california emissions standards because they didn't have easy cheap access to computers in 1983 you fricking brainlet

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

sounds like a maintenance issue

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>having access to inferior technology at the time of design is a maintenance issue
        Do you actually have a brain inside that head?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I know vaccum diagrams are hard to read but I faith that you can do it anon

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>this is better than a computer because... IT JUST IS OK

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

depends. they are beholden to the bean counters and had to have comprimised somewhere to fit the manufacturing budget

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No they didn't. They had to compromise.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>it's another "anon thinks he can outsmart a billion dollar car company and their automotive engineers" episode where he spends all his time working on his car instead of driving it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's not about outsmarting. The engineers are obviously very smart at meeting budget and emissions criteria to put it into production.
      But once you actually own the car, you don't have to care about that, so you can improve it.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

every brown mexican with tires sticking out past their fends thinks they improved their cars

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>brown mexican
          Redundant
          Your response proves you're just as low IQ as the mexicans.
          You have no argument, just a random non sequitur "gotcha" comment.
          You're probably poor as well.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Rich people don't drive shitty modded cars though. They buy nice cars that are already made nice. You're not making a lot of sense anon.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh so now only the nice and expensive cars are perfect from the factory?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The cars are what they are and you can;t make them better. You have probably tried in the past and failed, or are constantly working on something that will never be finished.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So they're all perfect?
            No cars have ever come out with horrible insufficiencies or anything?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You really think car enthusiasts with money don't do intake headers exhaust & tune?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They do and it sucks and lowers the value of the car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Buy a better car.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Muh value
            This is not DA. Modifications, especially ones you can't really see, don't really detract or add to the value.

The cars are what they are and you can;t make them better. You have probably tried in the past and failed, or are constantly working on something that will never be finished.

So you're saying the reduced operating temperature, improved power, elimination of on-throttle hesitation, etc from my WR250R's gearing modifications and EFI piggyback controller were "impossible" for me to achieve? How about the greatly reduced wind noise from installing an aftermarket wind deflector in a Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky? If I put a microphone in there to measure before/after sound, there won't actually be a difference? (there is)

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I don't know it sounds like you spent six months and thousands of dollars on some worthless shitbox

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh so now the argument has changed from
            >you won't improve your car
            To
            >if you do improve your car it's a shitbox anyway
            ?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My fuel programmer install took me fifteen minutes, and I fiddled with the settings over the course of two track days. Sprockets/chain took me like an hour. Wind restrictor install on the Solstice took 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Modifications always need to be done reliably. There's an inherent risk with buying someone's modified car if they do a shitty job. Plus, the people who modify tend to drive their cars hard.
            A lot of people also prefer a blank slate so they can modify it their own way.
            That's not to say that modifications make the car worse, just because it has less market value.
            In the simplest sense, the car literally goes faster after it is modified.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>In the simplest sense, the car literally goes faster after it is modified.
            Not always, sometimes it's just louder and shittier. If it does go faster it comes at the cost of something else like reliability, driveability, etc

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>MUH VALUE
            get back in your safe npc coloured (Gray,white black) crossover and frick off this board cuck

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>They buy nice cars that are already made nice
            And some make them nicer

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Some Mexicans are white, see Nick Fuentes

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Please talk to me about Foxbody rear suspension geometry and subframe connectors, anon In this post, right here:

Reposting from another thread talking about project cars, specifically Foxbody/SN95 Mustangs:
          If jt's the V6 it'll need a new rear axle ASAP, the 7.5 cannot handle even the 302 for long, Ford themselves put an 8.8 at the back. But yeah the Foxbody cars might be the prime example of "engineers know worst/bean counters wouldn't left them fix it"
          >Front and rear subframes only held together by flat sheet metal of the floor
          >Steering Ackerman works the opposite way it should, leading to extreme understeer problems when trying to push the car hard
          >Simultaneously over constrained yet under constrained 4-arm rear suspension allows the axle to wander side to side and binds the bushings, causing effectively a massive spring rate increase, usually meaning snap oversteer
          >Asthmatic V8 engine that requires new heads and intake to have a chance at making decent power

Motorcycles: Yamaha WR250R. Chain grinds into swingarm excessively with stock gearing/chain length (13/43 primary/secondary, 100-something links). Changing to 14/48+ and 110 links both improves stability offroad due to lengthening the wheelbase, increases available wheel power/torque due to lower gearing without affecting highway rideability, and clears the swingarm much better. Also requires installing a different primary sprocket cover + case saver, but that should be done anyway because the stock one is totally enclosed like a road bike and is nothing more than an awful mud trap. Bike also comes with closed loop EFI that runs stupidly lean factory, another "perfect decision" from the engineers.

. I can talk about the GM Kappa platform next. Verification not required.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nah I'm not autistic enough for that.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You made this thread, I present actual detailed scenarios where the engineers/bean counters DID get it wrong, and you ignore me?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>all cars a perfect
      Bit of a hot take there anony

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>It's another NPC consumes mass produced slop and calls it perfect and continues to meaninglessly meander through their shit life

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Buying shitty rims and following fads doesn't make you unique.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>gay frog
      >persecution complex

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

See: Ford Pinto

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you see anon, I just look at suspension setups and settings from winning spec 944 cars and do that on my 951. Still the only person I know with a corner balanced car

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>no car owner is a Mechanical Engineer

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Reposting from another thread talking about project cars, specifically Foxbody/SN95 Mustangs:
    If jt's the V6 it'll need a new rear axle ASAP, the 7.5 cannot handle even the 302 for long, Ford themselves put an 8.8 at the back. But yeah the Foxbody cars might be the prime example of "engineers know worst/bean counters wouldn't left them fix it"
    >Front and rear subframes only held together by flat sheet metal of the floor
    >Steering Ackerman works the opposite way it should, leading to extreme understeer problems when trying to push the car hard
    >Simultaneously over constrained yet under constrained 4-arm rear suspension allows the axle to wander side to side and binds the bushings, causing effectively a massive spring rate increase, usually meaning snap oversteer
    >Asthmatic V8 engine that requires new heads and intake to have a chance at making decent power

Motorcycles: Yamaha WR250R. Chain grinds into swingarm excessively with stock gearing/chain length (13/43 primary/secondary, 100-something links). Changing to 14/48+ and 110 links both improves stability offroad due to lengthening the wheelbase, increases available wheel power/torque due to lower gearing without affecting highway rideability, and clears the swingarm much better. Also requires installing a different primary sprocket cover + case saver, but that should be done anyway because the stock one is totally enclosed like a road bike and is nothing more than an awful mud trap. Bike also comes with closed loop EFI that runs stupidly lean factory, another "perfect decision" from the engineers.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just want to say IMO a 302 needs way more than heads for decent power. Especially today I would want to build it up for 7.5k cammed with at least 350 crank as the target.

Intake head/headers and retune might get 40 horse optimistically which still makes it as slow as a modern turbo 4 commuter.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>leading to extreme understeer problems
      Understeering is mustang culture, the pony car yearns for the lightpoles

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I want worse.

9. 2 weeks ago
    p

99% of cars with aftermarket wheels look worse than oem, skews up to 100% for pickups.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Knew this guy who bought (financed) a Mustang GT and immediately threw bigger cams and a stupid loud exhaust on it before he even paid the car off. He ended up frying the stock clutch within a few thousand miles, and didn't have enough money to fix it, and it ended up getting repossessed at some point.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Cams won't overpower a stock clutch, he fried it because he's a typical American with no clue how to operate a manual.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He did a tune and all kinds of stupid shit, had it dynoed it was like 500 at the wheels, which is way more than the clutch was made for and he frickin fried it. It was a giant piece of shit by the time he lost it. It was so loud he could barely stand taking it on longer trips.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No anon. Just no.
          You don't know shit about shit if you think you'll pick up enough torque from a pair of cams to overpower your clutch.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>designers and engineers gor [sic] it right
    >managers said it was too complex
    >accountants said it cost $0.07 too much per car
    >advertising department said it didn't appeal enough to women
    >executives tell secondary firm to cut away design work until it's under budget
    >assembly line workers are perpetually drunk, on strike, or drinking while on strike
    >amount of original design that made it to the dealership floor unchanged: 5%

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Install OEM thicker rear swaybar from a different model car that fits on my car perfectly
    >Instantly stiffens rear, improves handling, gives more steering back and doesn't compromise ride quality at all
    >Install backup camera not available in our region through an OEM plug not in use
    >Add LED interior lighting kit to base car, gaining superior lighting and lower weight, but throwing off the weight the engineers slaved away for 1000 years to balance just right

OP: Ruined... it's totally ruined.

moron

have a nice day, OP

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OEM parts arent modifications. LED conversions suck ass and are moronic.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>From a different model car
        OP has the reading comprehension of a second grader.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

OEM parts from another model are a modification, moron. It wasn't included on the perfect car. The engineers got it right the first time, remember? That backup camera that never came to our region was deemed to be inefficient and would take away from the perfection of the US version of the car.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Good thing I bought it and it mine now, b***h.
    If you don't want me messing with it just buy it off me.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'll buy it off you at a significantly reduced market value, as it is now worth much much less now that your got your moronic monkey paws all over it.

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most inhouse or closely relating tuning companies for their respective brand would like to have a word with you if you think stock cars cannot be improved

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ever since COVID these appeal to authority morons have been getting out of hand. It has normal NPCs acting as if you can't wipe your own ass now without an expert opinion or without the help of a professional.

All hail the new religion. Praise the experts, you are bad and not good unlike the experts who know what's best for you.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Brown ricers were around long before covid and have nothing do with covid anon.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Read

You made a shitty thread to goof on brown teenagers which is fine but go to /misc/ and leave your dumb ass takes about cars out of it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Sorry I don't take orders from mexican teens, they take my orders, at the drive thru window where the 350z is parker outside the Wendys

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

So they were living rent free in your head pre covid.
        Was it the 350/370z bois? trumpeting as they approach?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Was it the 350/370z bois?
          Some of the worst trash on the road, yeah.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I am one of the "idiots" you are talking about and I'm shitting on OP with you guys.

Just want to say IMO a 302 needs way more than heads for decent power. Especially today I would want to build it up for 7.5k cammed with at least 350 crank as the target.

Intake head/headers and retune might get 40 horse optimistically which still makes it as slow as a modern turbo 4 commuter.

Yeah, obviously I left out cam/exhaust etc but the heads and intake are the most egregious. The block as a whole just doesn't make sense as a modern era performance platform beyond 350ish.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Notice how no one has posted their "improved" cars yet.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is this the "post your modified cars" thread then?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OP also has not posted his Toyota NPC-mobile. Here is the aforementioned WR250R. Other modifications done to this little POS playbike:
      1 1/8" handlebar conversion because the stock bars do not hold up at all to crashing, plus catering to rider height
      Oversize footpeg install for more control/stability while offroad
      Supermoto conversion using (mostly) OEM WR250X model parts because they were cheap on ebay, but upgraded to improved front brake pad compound, hotter temp brake fluid, and a steel braided front brake line which delivers more braking force to the caliper due to not expanding as much under pressure from the master cylinder.
      Integrated taillight purely because I hated how the stock whale tail looked.
      No-toil air filter kit + pre filter skins to catch more dirt.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Here you go. This is my Ramcharger, body swapped onto a 1992 W250 chassis. It now has one ton axles, a 6BT, 47RH transmission, an NP205 transfer case, 1986 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 leaf springs, heavy duty steering upgrades, and rear disc brakes. It has more power, better gear ratios with O/D, a significantly improved towing capacity, better suspension travel and smoother ride quality, higher top speed, better ground clearance and angles for off roading, and a significantly improved stopping distance.

It is flat better as a truck and off roader than it was from factory. All other modifications such as the bedliner exterior and stripped interior were done to strip weight and increase durability off road. Whether or not they are aesthetic improvements is subjective and moronic to argue about. This is a better vehicle than it was from the factory floor (or floors, depending on your perspective).

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Sorry, it's not better. It's ugly, looks trashy. A stock clean one is so much nicer.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No Ramcharger is nice, you fricking mongoloid. They're ugly as sin. Also, no one buys an old Dodge truck because it's "nice". They were never "nice". They were old work trucks you could beat the piss out of.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-dodge-ram-charger/

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous
          • 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nice to see one that wasn't butchered

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Dude, I've owned three Ramchargers including a loaded Prospector and a Royal SE. They are not nice vehicles. They're work trucks with basic as shit interiors and horrible ride quality. They've got objectively ugly styling inside and out that looks wrong from a glance and weird from a studious gaze. They're a bizarre anachronism from the late 70s, only notable because they actually had solid off road performance and some pretty kickass powertrain options.

That one isn't special. It's just another ugly Ramcharger that only weirdos like me love. They didn't sell well for a reason. They appeal to Mopargays and Mopargays only. Even to this day, they sell for DRASTICALLY less than their GM or Ford rivals because they're just undesireable for the average person.

Regardless, aesthetics are subjective and arguing about them is fricking moronic. The reality is, a Ramcharger serves one purpose: to be a Sport (Off Road) Utility (Work) Vehicle. Every modification I've done to my Ramcharger has improved its capability to fulfill that purpose. It is better than any stock Ramcharger at its intended purpose. I modified a Ramcharger to do what it was designed to do better. OP is wrong and you are a homosexual.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah someone who painted his truck with bedliner is calling someone else a moron...

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nobody asked you, Hitler. You don't even go offroad.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is a car. Engineers designed it, then the accountants got to work. Almost 400,000 of them were built, and the highest trim level sold for the equivalent of $50,000 today.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_75

This is basically the same car, but the engineers were given free reign to spec the best possible component for every single part. Only about 1200 were made, and it *started* at the equivalent of $150,000 in today's dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if each one actually netted the manufacturer *less* profit than the normal cars; there's an unbelievable amount of autism contained in these.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_SZ

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Not really. You can slap expensive Bilsteins and it will be a great upgrade on any car. The only reason it doesn’t come from the factory like that is higher cost.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Umm no sorry buddy bilsteins are only better when they're sold under the mazdaspeed badge, and any other OEM they make suspension for.
      If you put bilsteins into any other car they will be worse.

That's just the rules sorry sweaty

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

it's hot, that's why I am sweaty, sweetie

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What if I put mazdaspeed bilsteins in my 92? (pretending that the mazdaspeed dampers aren't dogshit, of course)

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Nah you're getting too complicated now buddy I don't know the rules for that

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Add LSD to open diff car
    >It's now ruined
    :[

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If the engineers wanted you to have an LSD they would have made it standard on your base model shitbucket.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What if they made it standard on the sports model?
        What if it was optional?

21. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I can list off what the engineers got wrong for a really long time

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Oooh, the S2000 is a great one for this. Really cool car but there is a reason the fricking AP2 revision was made. OP is arguing in bad faith at this point, but I want to read what you have to say, anon.

22. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>everything designed to fail at warranty expire
    >some things they fricked up and they regularly expire before warranty
    >perfect
    Is an indestructmobile that lasts me 600k miles too much to ask for?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yup, unless you buy a medium duty diesel it's over, and even those let pins into gears. enginerds did the best they can, and with their 4 digit IQ you won't ever come close
      It's over

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>replace all plastic parts with kevlar
      >replace all rubber parts with Teflon forverchemical formula
      >replace all gaskets with malleable corrosion proof metal
      >replace all iron and aluminum parts with titanium.
      You'd get a couple million miles before heat chemically weakens the car to disrepair.

23. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Chrysler Pentastar:
    >charger/challenger get fwd intake manifold instead of much better durango/ram one (on purpose, to reduce epa recertification costs)
    >engine runs hot from the factory for cleaner emissions, cooler thermostats improve reliability and performance
    >ECU pulls timing at 100* IAT but the sensor heat soaks and produces high readings on purpose to game the epa testing regimen

>based MAP/MAF
    >Neuralnet ECU can tune itself for some bolt ons
    >engine determines intake air volume by calculating backwards against the theoretical mach flow of what it knows the diameter of the TB to be, meaning if you make the intake piping larger and more free flowing, the calculations are thrown off by the "slow" air and the car just throws gas at it, producing more power. if you simply change the throttle body to a larger one like off a hemi and do nothing else the car has to be tuned to update the diameter or else it will not run nicely.
    >can relocate the IAT sensor to the air filter box for improved performance especially transmission shift timing and smoothness
    >can drop on the 2016+ ram/'rango intake manifolds after plugging the EGR valve hole and extending your tb, map and iat sensor harness -- huge gains in low end tq, better trans performance, improved low-rpm drivability, and a proper american muscle rumble

[...]

frickin love this plastic piece of shit
    i drive it hard and engine just go zomg:brum

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

oops that's

[...]

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Pentastar
      >”american muscle rumble”
      Is this the new V6 Charger cope?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

listen to the video moron that's exactly what it sounds like

24. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've been working on fixing a 1986 Merkur Xr4ti for a while now. Famously one of the issues these cars had was overheating on long drives, as it is a turbo car with no intercooler, and poor overall airflow through the radiator. Ford themselves knew this was a problem as they later added an intercooler into the Mustang Svo which had the same engine. So please explain how my adding an intercooler to my car has made it worse in any way.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nah sorry buddy no manufacturer has ever produced a car with a well documented problem, no manufacturers have ever recalled a car for problems, no manufacturers have ever gone on to later solve problems with updates to a car.
      All cars are perfect from the factory always.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Good point, my bad

25. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

literally every car can be made better with mods

26. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>yeah anon, wider wheels while maintaining the geometry of the suspension won't help the car's grip at all
    >the guys who track cars and mod them appropriately are all imbeciles

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm not OP but a massive proportion of people who modify vehicles for "handling" have no idea what they're doing and no understanding of vehicle dynamics.

I see modified cars, both road and track, that absolutely handle worse then factory all the time.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I don't think OP would've received a single reply in disagreement if he'd said "some people make their cars worse when they mod them".

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No he wouldn't, but in terms of changing the handling of the car it genuinely is most people who start messing with it.

The average person has no idea about the physics of how cars go quickly around corners, and thinks that it is better because it feels stiff or twitchy.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

its really not too difficult but everyone starts going about it wrong with 2 way coilovers instead of the sway bars and alignment their car needs

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>upping the gay bars without anything else
            Cornering on bars is the gayest feeling imaginable, you are gay.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>upping the gay bars
            lowering rear bar rate is the most important mod on a rwd besides getting rid of factory stagger
            the fact that it never gets talked about is proof nobody drives their cars or knows what theyre doing

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah cool now my car just pushes the front outside corner on when I trailbrake into a corner instead of giving me extra turn in, thanks homosexual.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>rear bar affects turn in
            this is some good elaborate knower b8 have a you

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>akshually it isn't the balance between the front and the rear suspension which dictates oversteer or understeer, they each dictate handling characteristics independent of each other
            bit of a hot take there m8e

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

wat? bigger rear bar gives less rear and more front grip
            to correct understeering, you can get smaller front bar OR bigger rear bar
            to correct oversteering, you can get bigger front bar OR smaller rear bar

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's a list of resolving handling problems, not necessarily making a car go around a racetrack faster.

It's a decent list for sure though and you can make minor tweaks to good, base OE road cars on this basis if you feel like altering the characteristics would get better laptimes.

Bear in mind most people are doing this purely on how the car feels. To some extent feeling more comfortable with the setup = going faster but the average person just thinks really stiff and twitchy = sporty

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Everyone thinks they're the exception but they're not.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I at least test my alignment theory in a simulator like beam or rfactor before applying it to my car

t. 3.6 liter brampton tire eater

27. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Kek ricelet stancelet slowgaylet grandpalet momlets are so fricking delusional

28. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What a shit thread, give me your mothers number so i can come rape her for 6 hours

29. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Replacing failure-prone all-plastic chain guides with metal-backed ones is not making a car worse, which is exactly why Audi did so on subsequent models.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Hold up did you just say A MANUFACTURER NOTICED A PROBLEM AND FIXED IT ON LATER MODELS?
      This cannot be, OP assured me no such case has ever occurred in the history of the world because OEM engineers are always perfect.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Here's another fun one: early Renault D4F engines put the ECU on the back of the airbox, with cooling fins on the casing in the incoming airflow. They also routed the PCV system directly from the valve cover into the airbox, where oil would slowly build up and eventually leak out, onto the hot exhaust manifold.
        Later D4F engines have a completely different valve cover, intake manifold, and air filter housing, and put the ECU in a more conventional spot. Guess what, the ECUs no longer fail prematurely due to heat and the exhaust no longer gets covered in oil from the PCV.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

DON'T YOU PUT A CATCH CAN ON THAT PCV AND RUIN YOUR CAR YOU BROWN MEXICAN TEENAGER!!!!!

30. 2 weeks ago
    Every h/o/e here

But the engineers didn't give me the parts or tools to be an butthole, those I had to install myself

31. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>car makes 66 kW and 110 kW models on same platform
    >So basically there is just a bunch of byte in ECU memory that nerfs the 66 kW model
    >It must do no harm to modify this byte/use dedicated chip a little bit

32. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>any modifications only makes the vehicle worse
    Tell that to my all aluminum radiator

33. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Outside of extreme performance vehicles like a Koenigsegg, I can't imagine a single car that couldn't be improved through aftermarket modification. The vast, VAST majority of cars are built for cost efficiency at the expense of performance or economy. Even extremely prolific workhorse engines like the B Series Cummins underperform with factory specification to this day due to regulatory choking. You can improve longevity, economy, and power simultaneously on a 6BT by swapping camshafts. There is literally no downside to the modification.

Then there's the overwhelming commonality of OEM spec designs having massive flaws like the Duramax crank dowel pins, the infamous killer dowel pin on older B series Cummins, the PCV blowby on almost every post-2000 Chrysler engine, etc. All issues resolved by the aftermarket without downside.

34. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>designers and engineers gor it right
    If they were given like 3 design points yes, they would make a great car
    >Make it reliable
    >Make it fast (or big) (or comfortable)
    >Make it affordable
    But in today's environment, cars need to be environmentally friendly and safe and overloaded with electronics and gay

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Many choices are made that just made cars slow unreliable and shitty
      We've learned a lot in the past 20 years

35. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Be engineer, have worked in auto plants for many years (now doing software -_-)
    >Many, many engineers under 45 still mod their cars / trucks in current year
    Can't explain that.
    You can always make cars better at certain things if you take care when doing it, cars are made to sell to the masses and pass regulations.

36. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Better suspension is the answer, especially for bikes.
    The engineers for the gen 14 F150 FX4 screwed up the boingers in a big way. They will bounce (yaw) back and forth with any bump or steering input in a corner, enough to make you feel ill. Adding rear airbags at 5 psi fixes that shit. Plus you can put 500 lbs on the ball and keep it level without having your headlights aimed at the sky. Adds weight but worth every penny.
    The oem 33s are paper thin garbage. Going to 34s (34.6 actual) gives all kinds of advantages. You lose some power and mileage but the added traction and clearance are worth the trade off. You should have 10 ply tires anyways if you're towing.
    Tint is nice in some climates.
    PPF is nice.
    Bed covers are nice.

37. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>friend buys a prius
    >complains to me every time we go camping about ground clearance
    > he ends up getting a giant lift on it
    >now all he does is complain about how shit the mileage is now

38. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Care to explain the moronic cooling system layout on NA/NB Miatas, then? It's pure cost cutting with no other benefit than being cheaper to produce. When Mazda took their transverse FWD B series engine and turned it 90° to mount it longitudinally in the Miata, they moved the thermostat from the rear of the head to the front, where the water pump is also located. This means the rear two cylinders don't get shit for coolant flow, and the front two can overcool in comparison. This means there will be uneven temperatures between the front and rear of the block and head, increasing internal wear and likelihood of head warpage. Reroutes that put the thermostat on the back of the engine where it belongs have been proven for over a decade to keep the cylinder head temperature even front to back, and improve cooling system performance in general.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The engine had been used in turbocharged variants since at least '85. Some variations were transverse FWD so the cooling wouldn't be the same (but they trusted it). I had an NA8 I beat the frick out of that lasted til just under 300k when I got t-boned in the rear quarter-panel so the car was totaled.
      The issue is real, but those engines are still better than most and the reroute kit is fairly easy.

39. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>implying they don't just have to conform to legislation
    case in point with shitzuki they had to have the bike at WOT still close the electronic throttle bodies at high rpm because of noise requirements for burgerclapistan, when they didn't have to for the euro market variant

40. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sure if im buying an expensive car and im the 100% target demographic match for it
    unfortunatley, pontiac didnt design the base model sunfire for raping the car on mountain roads, so I have to fill in for that

41. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lmao my project car thread sent him into cope overdrive

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah we're all coping over your v6 mustang with the badass cowl hood. Very classy. Nice car anon.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Of course, OP is actually illiterate, now it all makes sense.

42. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A critical point you're missing is TUNING is what makes a car good. Good parts are just ingredients, the recipe is the tune.

People that know what they're doing can analyze a suspension very in depth, from something as simple as finding the natural frequency and thus optimal springs/damping to decouple the suspension, to using tons of data inputs including tire modelling from special tests, sensors on the vehicle like wheel speed and accelerometer, etc.

But yeah the dude throwing ohlins on his car, slamming it to the ground, and adjusting to whatever he googles it should be at is not improving their car.

Sport cars are rarely improved by coilovers and sway bars, but a sway bar on an econoshit car with new wheels and a sport alignment will do wonders.

43. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Except for the times they frick up with a defect they never bother to fix since it would cost too much to recall.

44. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ITT ricer cope, LARPing boomer copium, and ricelet stancelet seething

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Are you trying to bait me again?

45. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>puts a 1.9tdi in literally anything
    >somehow it isn't better?
    Yes im balkanman.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *