The government is quietly banning cars by revoking registrations

Reminder that in 2021 my state of Maine, and Rhode Island, cancelled the registrations of imported Japanese Domestic Market Mitsubishi Delicas and deemed them ATVs for off-road use only. Months later, Rhode Island followed suit, banning the registration of all JDM "minitrucks, microvans and kei cars".

Under the federal 25-year import ruling, cars that are at least 25 years old and weren’t originally sold to the U.S. market are granted dispensation, without regard to whether they comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. But this doesn’t exempt you from state vehicle registration laws. In California, for instance, imported cars still have to pass smog checks. And in Maine, the state now requires imported vehicles to carry an EPA compliance sticker, which, as an import, is an impossibility. So due to its import status, it’s considered an off-road vehicle, thus ineligible for road use. A representative from Maine's Secretary of State office even went so far as to say that the time "Maine considered these vehicles to be ATVs", citing a Maine statute which if you look up doesn't remotely mention EPA and NHTSA compliance. So they're literally just writing new laws and saying they already existed and you need to stop noticing things.

Car companies want to sell cars. And they will use the government to force your hand. There will come a time when if your old car doesn't meet current government laws, they can just deregister your car. Have a 2010 car that doesn't have a backup camera? Grandpa just newly-repainted his old 1957 Chevy Bel Air? Have an imported right-hand-drive vehicle? No registration for you. So no cute robust 4WD JDM boxy van for you. You will buy an oversized $70,000 SUV from a local dealer and you will be happy.

And no one really cares enough. There was no significant pushback to this tyranny. They got away with it. So if you think they will stop at JDMs, just realize you're a moron. They tested the waters and got their answer.

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Seems like they exposed the fake ass hipsters that jacked up the prices on these.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How does someone become old enough to possess a driver's license in this god forsaken county without understanding basic separation of powers / federalism?
    States can regulate whatever the hell the Federal Government doesn't. Federal regulations override state level ones. Same goes for state laws vs local/town level laws (counties also exist at this level, not important right now).
    As for banning kei-cars. RIP I guess, buy a Willy's. Due to ancient WW2 federal surplus laws on the books those will always be street legal.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Not OP but honestly I would if these didn't actually kinda suck ass as vehicles.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

They were great toys for your 10-16 year olds to run around the farm and fetch your cigarettes/alcohol from the local store if you were a rural parent in the 50s/60s

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

You could always paint an AMC Jeep CJ green
        (or vin and grille swap a Mahindra Roxor with a rusted nearly to death CJ-2A)

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Your reply is really snarky and it makes you sound all moronic and homosexual n shit. Especially considering OP never contradicted our legal structure, and even leaned into it with one comment. You were too eager to dunk.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Nice c**try m8

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Gei kars

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mail a pipe 5head

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I only care about trucks, sportbikes and kit cars
    Oh no, not the hekin mom minivanerino

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It's a party bus you can 4x4 you fricking loser
      >FearTheEggman

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

so it's a fricking astrovan

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Pretty much just comes with a 4cyl Turbodiesel, better off road, and nicer inside

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

A 4x4 astro is cheaper and better in every single category. Frick this weeb shit.

ITT people who don't know the difference between 4WD and AWD.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Every wheel turn when I drive shut up

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Kek because there is none. The terms are not protected and they are not defined.
            Manufacturers just slap that badge on their cars.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Transfer case. Hi/lo range.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

NTA, but there's a lot of AWD transfer cases with selectable low range.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

> one sysyem was designed for some extra traction in inclement weather
            > the other was designed to be able to go off road in countrys that have none

Show me your bus pass rider.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

There is no difference moron

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

The astrovan was never made to go offroad like the delica.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

post your ninja 400 "sport" bike

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>kit cars
      Stupid 'ho thinks his 'ho-made car ain't next on the chopping block. No EPA cert for you.

• 1 month ago
        s10fag

>put ls1 into kit car designed for it
        >use stock gm computer meeting epa regs
        >install cats compliant with epa regs
        >it meets epa regs
        are you this fricking stupid or trolling?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>put ls1
          Of course I'm trolling. Apparently you're the stupid one here.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>put ls1 into kit car designed for it
        >use stock gm computer meeting epa regs
        >install cats compliant with epa regs
        >it meets epa regs
        are you this fricking stupid or trolling?

https://i.imgur.com/0ULMF6z.jpeg

>put ls1
        Of course I'm trolling. Apparently you're the stupid one here.

https://i.imgur.com/vSJcgPJ.jpeg

>I only care about trucks, sportbikes and kit cars
        Oh no, not the hekin mom minivanerino

You're both dumb. Just register that vehicle as an EV. Theres no smog testing for those. No EPA cert necessary.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

LAND
    OF
    THE
    FREE

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This is american freedom, frickin hell in europe you can register whatever you want to import from japan.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>register whatever you want
      Ya sure.
      Enjoy that $15k yearly displacement tax....

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Keep coping, literally no displacement taxes. Road tax for average jdm import is less than 300€ annualy

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Name a non-import car that became illegal to drive.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

A 4x4 astro is cheaper and better in every single category. Frick this weeb shit.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I can say the cabover ones have at least something different than an astro.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

This would be fun to drive around town, the beach, and camping. I’m not sure about parts availability though.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Woke politicians who continuously push climate agendas that make everyone's lives worse ban old import cars because muh climate
    >It must be the car companies pushing these laws
    You are incredibly moronic and you deserve to get exactly what you voted for you dumbass.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

not my problem

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous
  13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>umm you can import a vehicle for 25.years so you should just buy new
    >WTF WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WANTED 25 YEARS FOR A BETTER PRODUCT. REEEE NO THAT CAR IS BANNED BECAUSE OF SAFTEY

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

one of the good things about living in a functional country in europe with actual laws is that a law cannot ever be made retroactive. something that was legal yesterday cannot be made illegal today.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Except guns eh famalam

lmfao european delusion at its finest.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>he doesnt know
        50 bmg is currently illegal to buy here.
        does this make current 50bmg guns illegal? nope, laws cannot be made retroactive.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

banning something isn't a retroactive law. banning something and then arresting people who have owned the banned thing in the past would be retroactive. same thing as the morons in the US that post ex post facto in regards to laws including grandfather clauses. they don't have to include grandfather clauses, they do because it would be a huge clusterfrick trying to enforce it.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>british gov't makes handguns illegal
          >confiscates everyone's handguns

retroactive dumb dumb

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

im not british and couldnt care less.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you're not european either

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Meanwhile, in my area of the US it's illegal to carry a knife over 6 inches off of your property.
          It's the right to bear arms, not firearms.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I just looked it up to be sure, and it's actually a 3" blade limit where I live. Of all the cities in my state, the max is a 4" limit.
            >muh second amendment

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

State laws supercede federal laws, which is why the civil rights act is unconstitutional.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The Constitution has a lot of interesting things in it, Anon. You should read it one day before saying something that moronic. It's 8 pages long, you could probably read the whole thing during a shit if you couldn't make the time otherwise.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Jokes on them, my car was already not registered.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I just wont abide, and I'll sue the the lawmakers.
    DJT will fix this garbage corruption.

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's also an absolute pain in the dick to register or title for on-road use surplus HMMWV's in most jurisdictions, despite the fact that they're mechanically identical to H1 Hummers that were sold. Some of it boils down to lazy office workers not wanting to deal with a serial number instead of a VIN, and some places have outright forbid them because they're a scary war machine or something. Bureaucracies do nothing but complicate things.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

how is this an issue in usa and not in europe?
      >so you want to register that behemonth of a car?
      >got paperwork that you bought it legally?
      >ok, fine
      >uh, yeah.... we just title it as a am general hummer then and its army serial number is enough for us
      >have a nice day!

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

American safety and emissions laws are stricter than the EU's. Left wingers have tried very hard to make car ownership as difficult as possible. Previous anon doesn't know how kit car registration works

can you just register them out of state

You have to either live in the state it's being registered in, or have it registered as a 'commercial vehicle' for a business that operates in that state.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Kei kopers will never admit that those shitty 3 bangers just don't cut it on American roads. They sound like weed whackers going full throttle on the highway just to hit 51mph going up a slight grade. Its unironically not safe when the average 4 door sedan nowadays puts down 200 and can do 80mph like its nothing. Kei cars are cute and make sense when you live on a tiny island with tiny roads and tiny houses and tiny people but America is anything but tiny.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

And yet for some reason we have to put up with cyclists on the road rather than the sidewalk, when in reality a person on a bike is a lot closer in terms of momentum and top speed to a pedestrian than to a car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You're right but the government still shouldn't be allowed to force us to comply

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>muh guns!
    >I have muh guns to protect muh rights!
    Lmao Americans are such a joke. Your forefathers are rolling in their graves. Literally "had the election stolen from you" and all that happened was a few of your own people got shot and died of heart attacks LMAO

This isn't "testing the waters" - this is pissing into the pool as you fat lazy morons drown

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

imagine being european and malding at americans boundless freedom which includes the freedom of local governments (run by, suprise, the people) to decide what is and is not allowed on the roads in that state

>nooo you're not free you can't drive some shitty weeaboo bubble minivan previously gooned in by a japanese pedophile
    oh no
    anyway

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

do you have a problem with Japanese pedophiles?

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>some little shithole state you probably dont even live in did some dumbass law

AHHH AHHH ITS OVER AHHH AHHHHHH

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Thinking I need registration to drive
    I will do as I please, thank you.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If illegal hispanics do it, then so will I.

23. 1 month ago
    s10fag

>I cant tune or install a cat
    >Im an 'enthusiast'
    >Im also going to pretend vehicles are subject to laws passed after production

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

LGTSS
    >Gayne
    >CHODE Island

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Live in Texas.

26. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Tfw I daily drive a 1997 suzuki jimny Kei car

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>car manufacturers no longer make small inexpensive basic work trucks and vans
    >japanese imports fill that demand in the market
    >American government makes jap imports illegal
    Fricking israelites

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

We had them and they failed. People don't want basic shit in America.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You're right. A simple chevy colorado brand new no options is like 28k. A brand new shitbox chevy express with horrible lifter issues and no 6.0 vortec is 40k new MSRP. In reality though, that same shitbox is >53k in virtually every market. People buy them up like candy regardless of the bare minimum options. I have heard numerous dealers out here bullshit me that new low trim trucks aren't selling. In reality, they can't keep them on the lot for over 20 minutes, so they only order higher trim trucks to make a larger commission. Just get a cheap 7.3 4x4 F250 XL and call your life good. Just kidding, that truck is actually $60k, go frick yourself.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Nice subversive post, Ari Shekelstein

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>carry an EPA compliance sticker
    Or
    >it’s considered an off-road vehicle
    Because off-road vehicles use completely different air than road licensed.

Oh, come on. They can't even lie convincingly.

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Texas just did an about-face on kei-trucks. So take your Delica down there, register and license it through your own "leasing company". Then, back to Maine or Rhode Island and lease it back to yourself.

Commercial businesses do shit like this all the time. Local contractors have Texas licensed trucks that have never left my state and even have the name of the local dealer from which it was bought on the license plate trim ring.

30. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Worse than Australia

31. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

can you just register them out of state

32. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Texas just lifted restrictions on kei trucks. Cry harder Mainegay.

33. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Lol should have lived in Texas c**t

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Just don't say anything bad about Israel

34. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Well here in South Carolina half the cars aren’t registered and have fake plates.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *