>Six in a row
>4.2L of displacement
>10:1 CR
>Aluminum
>Durable
>DOHC
>One of the least problematic DOHC Chain designs
>Tunable
This is the Domestic equivalent of the Honda K-series and I'm tired of pretending it's not. Say something nice about it.

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Tunable
    Yeah no, I would be all over the 4, 5 and 6 cylinder versions but they have dogshit aftermarket

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah, because they're slept on. The trailblazer had the SS version which is what everyone wants to tune and modify. On forums if you ask how to tune the LL8, the replies are generally "Go buy an SS". It's a shame the LL8 wasn't available in more vehicles. It's fairly detuned from the factory.

• 2 months ago
        s10fag

>automatic only
        >axle goes through oil pan
        >early models have 7 tooth reluctor crank making them useless in aftermarket
        >only ever offered in a 4500lbs truck
        >LS exists

no

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/rHqYvIr.jpeg

>Six in a row
          >4.2L of displacement
          >10:1 CR
          >Aluminum
          >Durable
          >DOHC
          >One of the least problematic DOHC Chain designs
          >Tunable
          This is the Domestic equivalent of the Honda K-series and I'm tired of pretending it's not. Say something nice about it.

>>LS exists
          This pretty much ends the thread.
          It's just whimsical to want to frick around with anything else, let alone esoteric.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>MUH LS

Jesus Christ we get it, but LS has already made a name for itself.

What’s so wrong with us taking an I6 we like to the next level?

This is a matter of pursuing something we think is cool and submitting to overdone metas is cringe because someone else said so is cringe

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>What’s so wrong with us taking an I6 we like to the next level?
            Ok, I see your point if one is embarking upon this as a Challenge of sorts, which has purity and value.
            I suppose what I was getting at is if you just want turn-key performance and reliability for a given vehicle, the LS is the obvious choice.
            I'll be quiet now.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Alright, we on the same page then.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>automatic only
          ar5 bolts up and since the ar5 is aisin, the bellhousing is swappable to r154 and other popular manual aisin models
          >axle goes through oil pan
          there's plenty of 2wd trailblazers with a standard oil pan
          >early models have 7 tooth reluctor crank making them useless in aftermarket
          early and late 4200s are fully tunable with a standalone ecu
          >LS exists
          following other peoples recipes is ok but everyone doing the same old same is why this engine hasn't gotten any love. Artec has released intake and turbo exhaust manifolds for this thing now. Dumping the enormous over-the-top intake manifold and getting a turbo on the 4200 is a huge step towards finding this things true potential.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It was a dead end for gm. They're pretty much a tractor engine meant to get a job done with the ability to save a little on fuel without needing dod. Gm didn't overbuild them enough to be relevant so instead they have basically the same potential for tuning as a 4.3 vortec. I'm tired of people sucking it off just cause its an inline 6 made by gm

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

When a boomer decided to make enough parts to properly build all 3 versions, I'll give a shit

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Have fun working on that moronic piece of shit engine when the time comes!

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I mean, it was a respectably fast SUV for the time period and that motor is easily the best thing about a trailblazer/envoy but it's not like GM slapped the same motor with a manual option into picrel as a relatively cheap RWD drift missile that would have been a huge hit.
    God that would have been badass.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I agree, the 4.2 would've been awesome with a manual in a rwd coupe. It's a shame. There are adapter plates and some compatible transmissions you can hack together to put a gearbox on the thing but it's not worth the effort for most people doing swaps when there's a plethora of other GM engines that bolt to a manual without mods.
      Totally slept on. Durable as hell, Sweet I6 sound, but it didn't make it into anything fun. Only officially bolts to a 4L60E. What a shame.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Not that anon, but apparently GM had the idea originally to make the SS have a turbo-charged Vortec 4200 but scrapped that for the LS option. No idea if they intended to pair it with a manual or not but god damn GM.

2005 Envoy owner here, love my Vortec 4200. I just wish there was more aftermarket support. Don’t get me wrong, some folks have done insane feats with these engines but with difficulty.

GM should’ve at least put one of these in a Pontiac or something at some point.

But yeah, the Corvette, I get it. FFS.

Also, side note, these engines would last longer if most people knew to keep the “PCV” hose cleaned out. But alas, it’s kind of a design flaw that GM didn’t want to talk about and not provide instructions on maintenance.

• 2 months ago
          s10fag

pcv part of the valve cover, i fricking hate it

they had half a dozen engines of the same displacement pre bailout, they needed to axe the least flexible ones, the 3.6 only sucks because material quality, its a superior engine now

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I hated it too but it isn't so bad now. It sucked because whoever owned it before I had my Envoy did some lousy DIY work on it which I was able to resolve, one of the issues being using rubber tubing for the pcv hose that wasn’t meant for that sort of thing. Was a b***h to get out and it started to crumble afterwards, replaced it with a genuine GM replacement from Amazon afterwards and now it’s easier.

i got an 08 trailblazer here i just wish i had the 4.10 or 3.73 final drive. need to do the pcv valve i have no idea what shape its in. i think the fact that the recession came around killed what was left for the Atlas engine. Much how the recession helped kill the S2K here.

There will be gunk in there. Use Berryman’s B12 Chemtool cleaner, works wonders. Just pour down a cap and a half of it down there, let it boil/evaporate there for a few minutes, then start the engine. If the car hesitates for a moment while starting don’t worry. Just don’t pour anymore than two cap fulls, you might risk hydro locking the engine.

Repeat this several times at least if you haven’t done this before. Your exhaust will also smell a little funny while you are doing this, that’s just the cleaner doing its job.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Chemtool-Carburetor-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMNAG/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_m_sccl_1/136-5167638-7000440?pd_rd_w=Iscyg&content-id=amzn1.sym.7e08813e-b3a0-49ca-880a-9bdd964e1dd4&pf_rd_p=7e08813e-b3a0-49ca-880a-9bdd964e1dd4&pf_rd_r=T5JNBQCPRA08DZQCMFVT&pd_rd_wg=OWjfs&pd_rd_r=521f4308-5cdb-4b3e-90fc-34d827d799be&pd_rd_i=B000CCMNAG&psc=1

And here’s a link for the genuine GM hose replacement if yours also falls apart or starts cracking after you remove it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S0G05CE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

i got an 08 trailblazer here i just wish i had the 4.10 or 3.73 final drive. need to do the pcv valve i have no idea what shape its in. i think the fact that the recession came around killed what was left for the Atlas engine. Much how the recession helped kill the S2K here.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Clean the throttle body while you are at it, unless you are flooring it all the time it probably has build up too

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

last owner replaced it with an ebay one it's pretty clean when i pulled the upper intake off to do plugs and coils

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Those were FWD.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They didn't need to be, especially in a fantasy situation where it's getting a sweet I6 instead of the lame shit it did get.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I mean

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>This is the Domestic equivalent of the Honda K-series
    LAMOOO, this Black person built pos that can't rev for shit and has tiny baby ports is supposed to compete with a k? Bro you'd be lucky this piece of shit starts when you need it to. Don't ever compare this bullshit to a K you dumbass ricermutt.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it revs to like 6.5k dude. could probably rev higher with top end mods.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

kek

K20A3 in the same year Civic Si as the trailbalzer: Zero to 60 mph: 7.6 sec
        The trailblazer in top LTZ trim:
        7.7 sec
        Oh no I just compared them and there is an immense .1 second difference to 60mph.

bro this thing could have a 2 second 0-60 and it wouldn't matter, don't ever compare your plastic clad rental spec pos to a K. Dumbass little ricer, no tools.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

K20A3 in the same year Civic Si as the trailbalzer: Zero to 60 mph: 7.6 sec
      The trailblazer in top LTZ trim:
      7.7 sec
      Oh no I just compared them and there is an immense .1 second difference to 60mph.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Trailer blazer was held back by the 4 speed automatic. With 6 gears, could have shaved a second off 0-60 and made for a much nicer driving feel

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Not that anon but it baffles me that GM didn’t even bother to put a manual in the LS Trailblazer.

A manual option for these SUVs is such a no-brainer no matter what but I suspect that GM knew it and thus kept the 4200’s potential under lock and key so that their flagship sports cars didn’t get less sales.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

even the 6 speed automatic would have been nice in there. The 4 speed automatic has too high of ratios for 1 & R.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

whats the point of this american piece of shit when the barra, jz and b58 exist?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Why is it shit?

>Barra
      Not in the states and not much aftermarket support here. Why go through all that trouble when I can have American Barra with the Vortec?

>2JZ

It’s an overrated meme at this point that makes kids sperg out. Great engine though, just rather work with cheap and easily accessible Vortecs.

>b58

I’d usually shit on BMW but they actually made something incredible here. Still, why go for that when I already have something that’s great as long as you keep up with basic maintenance?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Anyhow, assuming my Envoy is still in good shape after some years, may look into an experimental manual swap. I could probably take some pages from those who have paired the engine to manual transmissions in different builds, who knows.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>No aftermarket
    >Unique bell housing
    >tr*nsverse
    >automatic only
    >~~*GM engineering*~~

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Unique bell housing
      you sure?
      pretty sure any 4L60e or 65e can bolt up to it.

• 2 months ago
        s10fag

>the transmissions it came with can bolt up to it and nothing else

*clap*

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

if a 60e bolts up, then so will a th350, th400, 80e and 700r4.
          what are you oN about?

• 2 months ago
            s10fag

no, the 4l60 has a removable bellhousing, the rest of those transmissions are sbc pattern only

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://emtechmotorsports.com/bell-housing-adapter.html it's a good thing that someone makes a bell housing adapter

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

are you not familiar with all the crazy adapters we have these days???
            I mean you can bolt up any random transmission with adapter plates on these engines.
            manual transmissions from the Z cars, the Colorado five speed exe .

• 2 months ago
            s10fag

>spend $1000 on an adapter
            >everything just bolts right up dude!

Still bolts up to i6. Theres also ar5 trans adapters for 1uz, ls, etc. Its not hard.

>$1000 custom flywheel
            >it just bolts right up dude

what a moronic waste of time

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not that anon but…

>“Built, not bought.”
            >*does something that they really like that is unusual but fun*
            >”NOOO NOT LIKE THAT”!

Like ffs, we get it, the LS is a better choice if you want a more efficient and easier setup and more power right off the bat. We don’t want that. We want to see what the Vortec 4200 could have been like if GM didn’t Chuck away it’s potential

• 2 months ago
            s10fag

They chucked away ALL its potential by making it a hideous platform. There are plenty better choices for built not bought like the northstar and 3.6, 4.3 LT. No one is doing anything with an atlas because of its potential, they are looking for an excuse to jump through all its hoops.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

We literally do not care. We love the 4200. 4200 go BRRRRRR

• 1 month ago
            s10fag

>bhph lot stockholm syndrome

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Are you unable to comprehend that people like different things than other people? Or are you an advocate for a mass sheep mentality that only likes metas that have been done over and over again.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>you can replace the gearbox with some other GM 4 speed automatic with the same set of ratios

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

you can LITERALLY buy a flywheel and SBC adapter plate from emtechmotorsports
            this 4l60e-only shit is nonsense. it's not 2011 anymore.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>tr*nsverse
      moron

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no aftermarket heads
    no forged cranks available.
    head bolts almost always snap on removal.
    basically nothing but forged rods available.
    heads are very very limited on flow.
    sloppy mechanics made something like 800rwhp with a turbo that'd make 1,400 on a LS.

I don't see the point

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yes the LS is a bigger engine that makes higher numbers, that's not the point of this. the 4200 is easily obtainable from any local junkyard. it could've been a cheap, buildable, high revving, domestic straight six had there been any aftermarket or if GM didn't cuck it with its 4L60-ness. Just like what people do with K-series Honda motors. They're in everything from Accords to CR-Vs. Get a K from the yard, build it, and drop a turbo and put it in a civic and you can have some relatively cheap fun.

even the 6 speed automatic would have been nice in there. The 4 speed automatic has too high of ratios for 1 & R.

i don't understand why the 4L60 stuck around in the trailblazer for so long. GMT900 was out by then, meanwhile the trailblazer hung on to its '02 design language inside and out until the nameplate was dropped. Anyone who walked into a dealership to buy a new Trailblazer in '08 was buying one because they could get that sweet old school GM design before it was gone forever. My guess is that GM was out of money by the time '08 rolled around, and the Trailblazer and the Atlas engine family was the least of their priorities.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>the 4200 is easily obtainable from any local junkyard
        Except that depends entirely on how many trailblazers are there because its the only thing they came in. The other problem with the atlas is all of them sucked except the 4200. My dad had a colorado with the straight 5 and it spun a bearing at 120k while he was doing shorter than recommended oil change intervals. The straight 6 is just a good engine. Its not great, its not amazing, it was just a competent inline 6. It wasn't insanely overbuilt, it wasn't unique, it was literally just gm putting another 2 cylinders behind a dohc inline 4. It never actually went anywhere cause it was just another heavy workhorse engine. In fact this engine has more in common with a vortec 8100 seeing its basically a dead end. Its a neat engine at best, but power is made cheaper in every other gm platform. Even boosting and upgrading an ecotec is preferable to messing with an atlas since they put them in more cars and they're smaller. If the atlas replaced all gm v6 and 4.8 v8 applications, things would be a different story, but they aren't and thats that pretty much

• 2 months ago
          ROFLsnackz

>Except that depends entirely on how many trailblazers are there because its the only thing they came in.
          You forgot the GMC Envoy.
          There was a ton of those.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Also Saab, buick, Oldsmobile and Isuzu all had their badge on a trailblazer at some point

8. 2 months ago
    ROFLsnackz

It's amazing to me how a wide variety of people were unaware of this engine until only just recently, they're fantastic engines.
    I've been driving a Tralblazer with one of these and it's dang near ready to tick over to 300,000 miles with no issues. (Pic related)

GM shot themselves in the foot by not keeping this engine around for longer and improving on it.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

why do boomers zoomers and doomers and xoomers like these itb na thingies over a turbo or two?
    this makes 700hp+ na LOL the 4200 is meh it barely makes that under like 40psi

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Because we want to have fun and enjoy things that we like? We’re not gonna comply with a meta because some randos on DA said so. We wish to BUILD

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I mean it's a good engine but not good enough. By the time you bring power out of it you could have just got an LS

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>ls
      boring

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I think you guys keep missing the point. We don’t care about easily accessible power and practicality. We are interested in something that isn’t easy to work with to begin with.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>This is the Domestic equivalent of the Honda K-series and I'm tired of pretending it's not. Say something nice about it.
    not true. the atlas 4200 is an actually good motor unlike the honda

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>more expensive than an LS for the same power
    >long and tall so more difficult to put in an engine bay
    >makes no power at all unless you turbo it
    Go watch some of nivlac57's videos. It's a curiousity, but that's where it ends. It's simply not worth bothering with for 99% of swap applications.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

For all you tards saying its auto only. It literally came paired to an aisin ar5 manual trans in the colorado truck.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the colorado's only got manuals on the 4 cyl atlas

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Still bolts up to i6. Theres also ar5 trans adapters for 1uz, ls, etc. Its not hard.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I thought some had the 5 cylinder. Just like the pos H3. Why did they put a 5 cylinder in such a heavy 4x4 when they had the trailblazer I6

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

the colorados did have the 5 cyl. i was looking at one that a friend was gonna buy but it didn't run very good and the guy wanted way too much for it. felt imbalanced and would miss under load after driving it for more than 10 minutes. it also had bad wheel bearings and a myriad of other issues. friend ended up with a trailblazer.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I had a 5 cylinder Colorado.
            The engine is inherently very unbalanced.
            The wheel hubs do go bad pretty easily.
            And the balance chain tensioner is always go bad so these engines sound like they have a rod knock but they don't.
            I think my truck started balance chain knocking at like 150,000 mi and now has about 300,000mi

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

are you not familiar with all the crazy adapters we have these days???
        I mean you can bolt up any random transmission with adapter plates on these engines.
        manual transmissions from the Z cars, the Colorado five speed exe .

One day I’ll make it happen on my envoy. I just need more knowledge and experience

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They eat cylinder heads

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

can't say anything nice about that

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it's light compared to a huge chunk of cast iron

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

huge chunk of cast iron is going to outlast aluminum

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

not when your huge chunk of cast iron turns into a pile of rust after seeing too much moisture or when grandpa fills up the cooling system with pond water because he lives in Florida and "it doesn't get below 0 degrees Celsius, so I don't need antifreeze"

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

hahahahahahahahahhahaahahah

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

American Barra made by Chevy?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yep

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have a dream