Thoughts on getting a Mk3 Supra NA with 30k miles on it? Pristine condition, but non-turbo is kind of a dog.

Thoughts on getting a Mk3 Supra NA with 30k miles on it? Pristine condition, but non-turbo is kind of a dog. Thinking about copping it just to keep it a stock timecapsule, but will the honeymoon phase of having a crispy clean car give way to the truth that it has dogshit power in a porky GT?
I seek your wisdom.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buy it and source a 1/2JZ and R154/CD009 swap in the meantime. Have the harness done professionally by someone like Dr Tweak and go to a single turbo like a EFR8374, S362 or a 6266.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Get it and just enjoy it.

>molesting a car with that little mileage
      kys

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Who cares it's a N/A, likely auto early model like a 1986-1987. About as collectable as a Cressida of the same years (not very and actually the Cressidas are more desirable thanks to drifters and the popularity of the JZX cars).

Better argument if it was a Twin Turbo R, Turbo A, or even a late model/facelift (1989-1992) Turbo. If anything OP is giving it a new lease on life, N/A Supras shouldn't exist.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>who cares about x, it's not that valuable
          >20 years later
          >guys wtf why is insert (240,260,280,300,Miata,MR2) so expensive now??

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just don't be moronic and cut corners. Which is why I'm saying to go with a reasonably sized modern single turbo only to simplify the engine bay and improve response over the stock twins that like to Chuck ceramic Wheels out and to buy a whole new wiring harness.

Again this is the equivalent of a automatic Miata, a non turbo 4G63 DSM, or a base model fox body Mustang. I would understand leaving it stock it was a desirable model but it really isn't. The rest of your examples died from rust because they're 70s Japanese Cars.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Do you honestly thing someone posting on DA asking about this is going to do it competently?
            All those cars were cheap, rust attritioned a lot but but they got bought up by boy racers to drift or frick with and nuked the rest of them. Supra's are already a lot less common than any of those were to begin with.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A Supra without a turbo is like a angel without its wings

And no you can still find a ton of automatic Miatas, non turbo Zs/DSMs, 4cyl/V6 pony cars, etc. boy racers don't touch them along with everyone else because they fricking suck so they just get junked like any 20+ year old car...if anything the boy racers actually give a reason to preserve them

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Its a shitty base model not a top trim

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

literally the 350z/370z posters, probably the same ones who grew up enjoying content of them being bought for cheap and consequently molested without a second thought

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, those are starting hit that stage of attrition, only one I've seen for a long time is a riced out one.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Trust me you can still find really nice low mileage automatic 350Zs.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i don't care because they're fat and ugly in my eyes, but i really am fed up with all the "What a great car and a shame that a clean one is getting more rare/expensive." posts

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's 35 years old it should be rare by now at least. People don't realize that if boy racers don't suddenly swoop onto a car to turn into a project it's seen by the general audience the same as a 1998 Chevy Lumina or a 2004 Dodge Intrepid...and it'll end up in the same junkyard as those other two once people stop giving a shit about them

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>molesting
        The MK3 had a 1JZ model so it isn't molesting, it's building it to how it should be and ditching the filthy 7M engine

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Before you buy it, do a Cylinder Leak Down test, if it's good, then tighten the head studs. If not, stay far away, unless you want to do a full engine rebuild.

Seriously, listen to this guy.
      JZA70s can be had for dirt cheap, but expect to fix/build it up.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Truth be told I'm not really interested in spending a ton of time getting shit shoe-horned into the car. If I bought it, it wouldn't be my only "sports" car that I have either (Have an SW20 with a Gen 3 3SGTE swap).
        I know what I'm in for, it's a porker GT, but in terms of power stock for stock, I'm not sure if I should keep looking for a good Turbo example or just settle for the barn find grandpa owned NA. Good news is it's not an automatic.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It depends how cheap it is, but a barn find MK3 Turbo is $15-20k from lurking BaT, alternatively a factory Twin Turbo is closer to $17-25k. I feel like this is easier to swap than a MR2.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Even a Turbo model will need the same Cylinder Leak Down test, since all 7M engines were torqued incorrectly out of the factory. Any 7M equiped JZA70 in current year; is on borrowed time.

That same $15-20k will get you a really nice swapped one, assuming you don't live in a SMOG state.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Non-turbo is definitely a dog; the manual at least makes it more fun. But if you really want to keep it NA you may as well get a manual swapped cressida, I daresay that's more fun than an NA manual supra, given that cressidas outside of japan were sold as a comfy, auto-only highway cruiser.
            Doing some quick googling, it seems like an NA, 5 speed A70 is about 200 lb heavier than a bone stock cressida, and the manual box weighs almost half as much as the auto...

JZA70 model code would mean it has a JZ engine. A70 is the model of the car, the letter preceding it is the engine e.g. MA70 for 7M engines, GA70 for 1G engines, JZA70 for the 1JZ etc.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>JZA70 model code
            Right, my mistake. My point still stands, don't buy a 7M Supra.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah true, given how pigfat they are, never realised just how much till i googled it, the goddamn four door cressida is lighter lol.
            as for the engine though, i reckon they can still be saved - i'd go so far as to say that ANY 7M you come across whose owner cannot prove that the head gasket was fixed, at the very least, take off the cam caps and retorque the bolts to 75 ft-lb. best case scenario, the engine never gives you problems again, worst case, you have to tear it down anyway. It really is a shame about their head gasket, they're actually pretty decent engines otherwise, i've said it a few times now but i've beaten the piss out of mine for 30k miles and counting, and the only problem it's given me is increased oil consumption from revving it high so often.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A first gen IS300 or SC300/400 would be a better choice imo. Find a factory manual(W55 lol), or find a decently clean IS300 auto, and swap in a CD009. Great platform of a car.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

from what i've read, the w55 is only marginally weaker than the w58 (by about 8%) and that's only because of the differently sized reduction gear set versus the w58.
            between w58s though, the a80 supra and sc300 w58s (the ones with steel sandwich plates) have slightly larger bearings compared to the a70 supra w58 (aluminium sandwich plate) so they're tougher still. seems to be tough enough that they can actually hold up being put behind a 1uz...just make sure that if you're gonna clutch dump, preload the drivetrain first...

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>make sure that if you're gonna clutch dump, preload the drivetrain first
            That's the main issue with both W55/58. The input shafts are tiny, and will twist under load; even during fast up shifts.

Hence why CD009/T56 swaps are so common. Most Supras these days are either completely stock, or modded GTE/aristo swaps.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

oh wow ok. I do know cd009 and t56 swaps are very popular since they're beefy as frick. but they're also gigantic as well kek.
            makes me wonder how many people do JZ/UZ and TKX builds, I never seem to hear anything about those.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Don't bother with this shitheap. Your MR2 is a vastly superior overall chasis compared to the MK3 Supra, just focus on getting power out of your car. The 3S-GTE is basically the 2JZ as a 4 banger. Don't bother with these shitters, especially with the 7M turds they have.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

focus on the sw20, dont bother with these unless youre gonna go 2jz big power. n/a supras a fricking god awful, no matter how clean they are.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

if you want a car for performance in 2024 an 80s JDM is probably the WORST option

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nothing gayer than taking survivor cars and fricking with them to make them something they never will be.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

cope
      nobody gives a shit about mk3 poopras

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i do

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Then buy something that'd actually go fast instead of hacking up some poor old tubby Grand Tourer with no parts availability that won't go fast even after you dump money in a overnighted from Japan engine that's a piece of shit and a second car to chop up for conversion parts.

Yeah except the survivor car is the Japanese equivalent of a 4 cylinder Fox Body Mustang with a whole 88hp

And a GT made 157, who gives a shit.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

A GT actually made the same horsepower as a MK3 Turbo (225hp) and was a legitimately quick car for it's time, while the 2.3 was as asthmatic as a N/A MK3

A first gen IS300 or SC300/400 would be a better choice imo. Find a factory manual(W55 lol), or find a decently clean IS300 auto, and swap in a CD009. Great platform of a car.

Newer Lexuses are kinda difficult to swap cause OBD2, honestly a old MK3 would be pretty damn easy. Just don't go full moron with the turbo and it'll be fine.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It seems you're pretty set on a MK3 Supra. Don't overheat the engine, do the headgasket immediately(please), torque headstuds, and you'll be set with a comfy stylish 80s JDM cruiser.

And don't mod the 7M-GE engine, besides reliability, and intake/exhaust.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah except the survivor car is the Japanese equivalent of a 4 cylinder Fox Body Mustang with a whole 88hp

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>but will the honeymoon phase of having a crispy clean car give way to the truth that it has dogshit power in a porky GT?
    Walk away.
    Let someone else enjoy the car for what it is.
    >duuuuude, slap a 1JZ..
    No.
    Walk away..you're too jaded by modern power.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This unless OP is indeed that guy who appreciates it for what it is.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No one enjoys an na 7m mk3 for what it is
      Literally no one
      No one when they were new
      No one when they were 10 years old
      No one when they were 20 years old
      And no one when they are now over 30 years old
      It's a great car but only when it has the engine it SHOULD have

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>all the pearl clutchers complaining about it getting the original engine put in from the Japanese version of it
    >literally one of the easiest swaps to do especially if you sub out the wiring to a professional (can get a brand new plug and play harness for $1600)

you guys are acting like he's going to do a turbo LS swap with a th400

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

there isnt one good thing about this car except sharing a name with the most overrated car of all time

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

go ask on supraforums.com

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *