Timing belts > Chains

Timing belts are made to be serviceable and can be replaced easily and cheaply and regular intervals. Timing chains are for wrenchlets afraid of doing preventative maintenance and they're not at all easily serviceable. Also I have a non interference engine, so cope and seethe some more about it. Just pulling your timing chain

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>he doesn't change his timing chain, chain guides, and tensioners when doing his preventative engine rebuild
    Kek fricking wrenchlet ricelet stancelet. Post your wheel gap so I can lol @ it

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

post car

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Which one?

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

how moronic are you anon? serious question.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

I was hanging out with him the other day...

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Did you ask him to say Black person?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Had to, that's why we're standing there.
          The next man that makes a move, the Black person gets it.

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

You know not all timing chain setups look like that right?

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

pre car

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

lol, i got 200K+ on my engines with timing chains and ive never cared to replace them. if they bust somehow ill just buy another car

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Average timing chain tard, doesn't bother to maintain anything. Absolute scum

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

ok bud, ill pay someone like you a few bucks to replace it to keep your poor ass employed

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

This.
        It only gets addressed when it's too late, namely when the chain jumps a tooth or guide/tensioner has failed and then you need to replace everything

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>when the chain jumps a tooth or guide/tensioner has failed and then you need to replace everything
          Sounds like woman problems, tho

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Tell it to my vr6.

>T. Has had 3 chain replacements over it's lifetime. All of them failed under 100k km meanwhile my 06 accord is still on the og belt.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>VW driver not understanding how "t." works
            Par for the course.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

I think your the one not understanding
            t.oldgay

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Why do these motors eat chains so bad? I freshened up a 3.6 with 156k miles and both guides were broken and them along with the tensioner rails had very deep scoring from the chains. Such a huge achilles heel on these motors.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I have no idea, other than just oem crappy plastic guides. Mines a 12v stuck in a mk3 GTI, first and last vw I'll ever own. Would've loved to pick up a newer Passat or whatever still had the last iteration of vr.
            I chalk it up to typical "German engineering" where your supposed to just get another car after the lease period or religiously maintain it

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>VW
            >Engine failure

LMFAO, what do you expect? Have you tried buying a normal car rather than a German money pit assembled by arabs??

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

if your timing is within spec the only maintenance a chain needs is frequent oil changes, which you should be doing anyway

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>timing chain tard
        fricking what? why is this board being trolled 24/7?

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>theyre serviceable, so access is easier and I can do the interval after school, guise
    NEET tier understanding of what its like to own and maintain property.
    Come back when you have a career, wife, children and a home to look after and tell us how much better it is to stop everything so you can switch out some gay ass limp belt every so often.
    Also, dont forget that belts tend to tempt manufacturers to engineer engines with wet belts because "muh modern materials"

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Maybe an electric pod is more your style if you don't like owning and working on your car yourself
      Better deal with that chain, I think I hear a rattle!

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>if you dont like..
        No, I dont like inferior engineering. Wtf do you want plastic and rubber everywhere?
        I'd rather run timing gears anytime over some gay ass belt.

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>Timing belts are made to be serviceable
    Not any more
    T. Oil bath belts.

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>a part being more durable is bad
    ???

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Timing chains are consistently neglected as a result of the durability, Timing belts just get changed as part of regulsr maintenance. Timing chains are the "lifetime oil" of timing. Serviceability > durability in the long run.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Owner issue, not my problem

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

yeah but a chain will never snap and wreck your valves, it will misfire and refuse to run long before that.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

non interference chads win yet again

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Timing chain keeps going till a timing guide breaks and sets a code
        >Replace timing chains
        >In the time it takes for this to happen you would have gone through 6 timing belts

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>nooo timing chains are too hard to service
    Sounds like the wrenchlet here is you

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

as much as that is horrible, the audi v8 really feels good to drive

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Timing belts are stupid trash, break easily if anything abrasive gets to the timing belt like rock dust. Its idiotic design that the timing belt needs to replaced every 4-8 years.
    Properly built timing chains are forever better than any timing belts. I take timing chain any day over timing belt.

12. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>Audi V8.
    Doesnt surprise me because its Audi/VW engine. from 2007+ years VW have purposely built their engines to be complicated as possible because they dont want car owners to repair/maintain their own cars, they want car owners to pay for the mechanic to repair maintain people cars. They also want people to replace their cars more often. VW tried to build engines with timing chains around 2006-2012 but completely failed as result large amount of engines blew up due to premature timing chain and tensioner failures. So they discontinued building engines with timing chains and then went back into building engines with timing belts.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What a bunch of raging wiener addicts those VW engineers have become

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

chains are objectively better than belts

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

this is my timing chain setup on my car, to get at it i have to jack the car up, remove the wheel and remove the belt tensioner+crank pulley

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The BASED part of timing belts is how they force wrenchlets to sell their WRXs at 110k miles for dirt cheap.

All I need to do is pull the entire engine, swap the head gaskets, re-shim the valve buckets,then install a new water pump and timing system.

It's a piece of cake anybody could do with a screw driver and a single jackstand. Easy money

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>belts
    >chains
    get a real engine and you wont have to worry about that stuff.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>gears of war
      I can only get soo erect

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Well at least until the KDP falls out.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Doesn't seem like much different. Timing chains appear to stretch as the links between each chain get worn so you have to replace it or risk hitting valves. Belts seem incredibly strong too but certain models having weak belts. Seems like you should change either every about 80k miles.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Timing chains literally don't wear and "stretch" unless you have nog levels of oil change and maintx

>buy timing chain car
    >oops-i-forgot most of your oil changes
    >put a mega-trillion of tiny carbon-carbon scratchy boys in your hot-ass oil
    >timing chain has 300 pins
    >wear each pin a thousandth
    >300 x .001
    BIX NOOD, HEY YALL, WHY MY CHAIN STRETCH OUT 1/3 OF AN INCH DAWG???? SHEEEEEEIT DAWGGGGG

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *