Toyota Camry 1998

Thoughts about a 1998 Toyota Camry 2.2 liters?
It has 100,000 miles, and it looks clean.
What are the common problems?

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Idk about their issues but that has to be the sweet spot of simple japanese cars. You better snatch that up if it's not too pricey.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You need to replace the timing belt.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>What are the common problems
      None.

Not really an imperative as the engine is non-interference, you still don't want it to snap and leave you stranded obviously but it's one of those things where you can get to it when you feel like it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You need to replace the timing belt.

Idk about their issues but that has to be the sweet spot of simple japanese cars. You better snatch that up if it's not too pricey.

Thank you guys.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>engine is non-interference
        A jap engine? Non-interference? What color is the sky in this fricking world?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

https://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/interference-engines-complete-list/

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Like the 3S, the 5S is of a non-interference design to prevent the pistons from striking the valves in case of a timing belt failure.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#5S

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous
          • 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>timing belts were only implemented because they're cheaper
            Wrong again Scotty.
            In the era when timing belts were first implemented, timing chains were terrible heavy, floppy, rattly things with horrible guides and tensioners. It was a time when OHC was first becoming common across the board for regular cars and chains were not up to the job of stretching these vast new distances. It was not uncommon for OHC timing chain engines of that era to develop tensioner and guide issues which resulted in wearing away the chain case or snagging a guide and completely derailing the chain.

Furthermore, these long heavy floppy timing chains with insufficient guides were not well suited for performance applications because they would flop around too much and build up harmonics at higher RPMs. Belts were used in most of the twin cam performance engines of the 80s and 90s because they ran the cams smoother.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Pretty much ALL Toyota engines with belt driven cams were non-interference up until they started implementing VVTi.
          The rare noteable exceptions were weird engines like the 3 valve 2E engine.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Its got the same engine as my sw20 mr2. 130 hp and 150 lbft of torque. Good car dude, pick it up if the price is reasonable

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OH NO NO this poor lad has a 5S-FE MR2!
      Turbo when?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Well thats the point, if anything breaks theres a boatload of parts and I would like it to last a long time. You can always engine swap them down the line.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

turbo it ya dog

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Here is a chilton repair manual
    https://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=B22B256CC09B1B3D33BF6EF0ABC01F12

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I like the V6. Its slightly higher maintenance, but moar power. That's the biggest problem with the 2.2 not enough power

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think if the car feels comfy with the 2.2 I don't care about power, I have a motorcycle for fun.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yeah i like my cars to zip, ithe 4cyl is not horribly underpowered, but the v6 is nice.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Scotty is mad

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Had a 98 Camry LE 2.2 auto as my first car from 2007-2012 from 200,000-~300,000km. Very refined and comfortable car, the 5S-FE is silky smooth for a 4cyl and the car is surprisingly peppy with an auto and 130HP. Took it everywhere and it never gave me a single serious problem. All I ever had to do were maintenance items/consumables like oil, filters, brakes, new shocks and tires.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

moron-proof. My buddy has an 01 that his mom had to pay $3k for like 8 years ago

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Timing belt

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i had one with 190,000km and it had worn out engine mounts

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Did you replace them?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also, do you like your mother?