UN and EU kill the Porsche Cayman

Its over. The Porsche Boxster and Cayman are no more.

>Like the situation that faced the Macan, the 718's cancellation is directly attributable to UN Regulation No. 155 (UN R155), which will take effect on July 1. UN R155 doesn't merely require automakers to embed certain cybersecurity protections inside the car; it requires them to completely change the way they develop vehicles—as they can't seek type approval without mitigating cybersecurity risks at multiple points along the development process—and show their work if faced with an audit.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/porsche-stops-selling-718-boxster-cayman-europe-cybersecurity-law
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/sports/motorsports/porsche-kills-the-718-boxster-and-cayman-in-europe/ar-BB1kuasn
https://www.motor1.com/news/713634/porsche-718-boxster-cayman-discontinued-europe/

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

NARP

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Noooo i need my car to be vulnerable to threats!!!!
    Frick off, bugchaser

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you know what car can not be vulnerable to cyber threats
      one that has no wireless connections aside from am/fm radio
      there's no security better than an airgap

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Midwit take.
        How did that air gap work out for the iranian centrifuges lad?
        >Nooo you can't just cut my brake lines!!!

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Cutting brake lines is not a cyber attack

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it's not infallable, but if you managed to get your airgapped device hacked, you have bigger problems than just a hacked device

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It looks like poop on the front.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>NOOOO I NEED MY CAR TO HAVE INTERNET AND WIFI AND SELL MY DATA TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Thank Tesla for popularizing the "smartphone on wheels" service model with their over-the-air updates.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why don't they just make it not connected to the internet?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i was thinking this aswell. but i guess the days where the buyer demographic was made up of people who actually liked cars are long gone. Nowadays it seems the demographic is focused on selling cars to tech cucks. hence internet connection so that they can enjoy their Android CarPlay Plus Premium (TM) (i cant be arsed to google the tm icon)

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's left alt + numpad 0153™

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because why make things easier when we can make them harder?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you forgot
        >LEDs at their maximum possible brightness both front and back. tail light minimum visibility distance >500 km

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/JWZqlBT.jpg

i was thinking this aswell. but i guess the days where the buyer demographic was made up of people who actually liked cars are long gone. Nowadays it seems the demographic is focused on selling cars to tech cucks. hence internet connection so that they can enjoy their Android CarPlay Plus Premium (TM) (i cant be arsed to google the tm icon)

>too mindbroken to even read and comprehend the single paragraph in OP
      Honestly wondering how you lot make it past the captchas

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Okay moron, not only did I read the articles I looked up the actual regulation.

"The threat analysis shall also consider possible attack impacts. These may help
        ascertain the severity of a risk and identify additional risks. Possible attack impacts
        may include:
        (a) Safe operation of vehicle affected;
        (b) Vehicle functions stop working;
        (c) Software modified, performance altered;
        (d) Software altered but no operational effects;
        (e) Data integrity breach;
        (f) Data confidentiality breach;
        (g) Loss of data availability;
        (h) Other, including criminality."

Does any of this strike you as something that could be avoided if the stupid car wasn't connected to the fricking internet?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

the less attention you pay to communist bullshit the happier you will be

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>(c) Software modified, performance altered;
          are they banning chipping and/or ECU tuning?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>are they banning chipping and/or ECU tuning?
            modification is limited on all EU but it is rarely checked.
            it's around 25% of performance enhancement modifications that are allowed in most EU countries if you want to be legal.
            otherwise, you have to have your car modified by a professional and then sent to some facility to be tested.
            it doesn't cost much to make your modifications legal, if you consider that most morons spend tens of thousands of euros for modifications on their cars and they risk getting caught and raped by the government for a couple thousand euros.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Looking through the regulation, it doesn't explicitly say anything about the owner modifying the vehicle. However, they write it in such a vague way that you might be able to argue that they are indeed bamning any and all tampering of OEM software.
            >pic related

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I hope they clarify that point a bit. That's a pretty good overview of possible threats to excessively connected vehicles otherwise.
            In the best possible scenario, the threat of compliance costs and legal expenses could help scare automakers away from this always-connected customer profiling crap where everything is a subscription and you're paying for it twice---first in money, then in your private information that the machine somehow accidentally collects anyway.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>then in your private information that the machine somehow accidentally collects anyway.
            I remember when the only personal information the car gathered was your favorite radio stations.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Modern cars gather worrying amounts of information
            https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/privacy-nightmare-on-wheels-every-car-brand-reviewed-by-mozilla-including-ford-volkswagen-and-toyota-flunks-privacy-test/

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

And people thought BMW's seat subscriptions were fricked up, this is even worse.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

hmm...
            >drive like grandpa all the time
            >the moment that engine turns over, just constantly repeat Black person/homosexual/israelite over and over until the engine gets turned off

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>assuming that politicians/bureaucrats, the EU in particular, has the private individual's best interests at heart

https://i.imgur.com/fVFeDRH.jpg

Its over. The Porsche Boxster and Cayman are no more.

>Like the situation that faced the Macan, the 718's cancellation is directly attributable to UN Regulation No. 155 (UN R155), which will take effect on July 1. UN R155 doesn't merely require automakers to embed certain cybersecurity protections inside the car; it requires them to completely change the way they develop vehicles—as they can't seek type approval without mitigating cybersecurity risks at multiple points along the development process—and show their work if faced with an audit.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/porsche-stops-selling-718-boxster-cayman-europe-cybersecurity-law
            https://www.msn.com/en-xl/sports/motorsports/porsche-kills-the-718-boxster-and-cayman-in-europe/ar-BB1kuasn
            https://www.motor1.com/news/713634/porsche-718-boxster-cayman-discontinued-europe/

How is it the Cayman/Boxter don't pass the checks but the 911 do? Don't they use essentially the same software?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They use the same software maybe but not the same architecture. The 911 was updated in 2019~2020 with the 992 but the Cayman has remained largely unchanged since 2016. By architecture I am referring to how the modules connect and communicate to each other, as well as the software required. You can't just update some settings on the gateway and be done with it, the whole system has to be revamped, which is why it would be more cost effective to just axe the Cayman altogether than to spend time and money in more R&D to design a completely different electrical system for the new 2025 model year when they were probably going to end the Cayman altogether in 2027 or something to make way for another model lineup.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I think the European Commission banned subscription-based performance unlocks, kek. Imagine your subscription runs out and your car loses power just as you're overtaking, this is a clear infringement of that point.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You fricking moron
          It's not about the connectivty to anything, the only issue is the software was not developed under the correct circumstances

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Okay so you develop software that was never intended to connect to the network and then you decide to connect it to the network? And the logical decision is to patch holes and to put out fires instead of never connecting it to begin with? Does that make sense now? moron?
            >create problem
            >run around in a panic trying to find solutions to problem instead of avoiding problem to begin with

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

poorschiet and the rest of the european carmakers make cars for fart-sniffing californian gaygets who live in europe.
      their whole schtick is to offer leather crap, interior leds, interior displays, 1000000 useless sensors and a bloatware to play with while waiting for a tow truck.
      the difference of poorschiet is that they slam their cars and rent burgering for 6 months every year and run laps to make a marketing stunt and that's all.
      don't ever tell poorschiet to fix the reliability of their engines, don't tell bmw to fix their o-rings and gaskets and pumps, don't tell vw to fix their timing chains and gaskets and o-rings and pumps don't tell citroen peugeot renault to fix their entire car.
      all in all, making a simple reliable car is not an option.
      how else can they brag that their driver's seat has a sperm analysis module for the driver's farts?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Post car

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous
          • 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yikes

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Porsche Gayman and His connection to Indian hackers.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it was almost done anyway because the electric replacement is coming

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>UN Regulation No. 66
    Implement measures resulting in the purchase cost of cars to increase yet again, with all increased expenses to be passed entirely onto the end consumer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Own nothing
      Be happy

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

sounds like a bobby mcferrin song

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why is the eu so gay

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>DDoS mitigation
    Gonna have to solve a captcha before you start driving.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Build without telemetry. What does not exist need not be protected, but they won't. Serious people don't need or want connected passenger cars.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *