Under what circumstances is leasing a car acceptable and why?

Under what circumstances is leasing a car acceptable and why?

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I guess if the alternative is wanting to buy a brand new car every couple of years, it would make sense. probably lose the same money on depreciation. otherwise, a lot of lease payments that I saw were equivalent per month to financing like $20-30k. I think its exclusively a convenience thing for people with a lot of disposable income

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never. It's always advantageous to finance. Unless you're absolutely fricked for money and literally can't afford more than $250 a month on transportation. Dealers will always, guaranteed, 100% of the time profit off a lease. No matter what anyone says. They wouldn't offer it if they didn't. "Hurr durr you lease a luxury car to beat depreciation" no you don't. You're paying the depreciation. They set up the pricing for the lease specifically to make it outweigh depreciation.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>can't afford more than $250 a month on transportation
      what could you even lease for that low?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I remember seeing jaguar commercials with $199/month lease but that was in the early 90s

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>if you can’t afford 250 you’re broke
          >hurrdurrr buuut jags in the late 90s were 250 to lease
          Kys

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>$250 a month
        >what could you even lease for that low?
        You can sometimes lease absolute shitboxes like Dacia Sanderos and Citroen C3s for a price like that (or even less) here.
        Though some of those leases are actually technically financing contracts where the car is sold back when the lease ends, so you end up being the legal owner of the car, and may have to pay any additional costs like insurance yourself.
        Still, it might be possible to have a car for $250 a month. If you're willing to endure even temporarily owning a Sandero.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>may have to pay any additional costs like insurance yourself
          is that generally included in a lease? that would actually make leasing less wasteful than I thought, though still overall wasteful. for a 20k car I'm paying $200/mo full coverage insurance, which would be a good chunk of a lease

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

One scenario might be you're moving somewhere temporarily and for whatever reason transporting/taking your car isn't desirable.

ie, for a little bit me and my brother were considering me house sitting his house in Colorado for 9 months while he was deployed. I somewhat looked into just leasing a car because I didn't want to expose my southern shitbox to road salt.

Another time I thought about leasing was to lease a new fun car (like a mustang or camaro) for six months instead of committing to buying one. Although I ended up just buying a motorcycle. Although I might revisit in some day as it wasn't a bad idea. (I don't have the time or motivation to have a project car in addition to a shitbox daily, and the motorcycle fits the fun and economic requirements way better).

Smashing X to doubt.
      Real world loans are amortized meaning you're disproportionately paying interest at the beginning of the loan. That's why banks start sending you offers to refinance a few years into your mortgage, because they make more interest off you refinancing to a lower rate than sticking with the original loan that you've paid off the majority of the interest on.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Under what circumstances is leasing a car acceptable and why?
    If you're looking to get a new BEV/PHEV, since:

A: Tax incentive loophole that allows it to apply to cars that otherwise don't qualify for it when purchased outright.
    B: Depreciation on most BEVs/PHEVs is 50% in 3 years. It's literally cheaper to "try then buy another" on a large chunk of BEVs/PHEVs on the market.
    C: Lots of cool-on-paper products in that space coming with unproven record of reliability. Leasing allows you to cut your losses if the BEV/PHEV you leased turned out to be a total pile (e.x. Wrangler 4xes) and re-evaluate things after a few years of further technological maturation.

Alternatively, if you like European luxury cars but don't want to hold the bag for their repairs out of warranty.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You want a new car in warranty period, such as an EV.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's great for people who don't care much for cars. the concept of "new=reliable and cooler" n shit. and if they don't even like the car, frick it its only a problem for a couple years.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you get a new car every 2-3 years
    If you can't get a loan under 6% interest
    If you're 100% sure the value of the car will be higher than the projected value at the end of your lease

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Some electric shitboxes last month were on lease-deals for 3-4 year leases for $200-250/month with zero down.

That's a crazy good deal if your daily currently gets less than 30mpg, or you live somewhere where gas prices are above 3 bucks... the car will literally pay for itself in fuel.

>if you're not poor and have somewhere at home to charge it

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dumbass question, but you know how in commercials, they'll say "$X,XXX due at signing"? What's that for? Is it a security deposit that gets refunded? Does it go towards the first few lease payments? Or is that just money you pay and never get back?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's the down. You need to throw in that money to get the advertised monthly payment number

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Oh, I see thanks. Some of those down payments seemed ridiculously high to me, but I guess it makes sense if you're leasing some flagship German luxury sedan or something.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I'd imagine it's probably to filter poorgays to keep them from hurting their brand reputation.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do you really want to be stuck with a 8 year old econobox with a high strung turbo 3 or 4 engine and a CVT? In that case you're almost better off leasing 2 of those and being stuck with "nothing" at the end.

Half tons also make a lot of sense to lease too. They lease cheap with little to nothing down. A lease payment is half or 1/3 what a finance payment is so you don't need to make a lot of money to afford to roll around in a $60k truck. Again, Do you really want to be stuck with a 8 year old truck with a high strung tubro 4/6 engine or even a V8 with AFM bullshit and a 10 speed "whiplash" troony?

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

When it's German

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Defrauding the government

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you wanted to experience a new car without any liability then sure. There's not much benefit to owning a new car unless you're a complete brainlet. Rolling a 3 year lease on something like a mirage isn't expensive and probably better for strong independent women who don't need no man, but they're too dumb to understand liability and risk so...

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this is pretty much it (along side the tax write off scam of course).
      pretend you wanted some crazy expensive bmw/merc but don't want to eat ~60k in depreciation after 3 years? sure go for it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you're implying you can't write off a lease, I'm pretty sure you can. It would just be classed as an operational expense rather than a capital expense.
        For example, in IT if you buy a bunch of servers and networking equipment, it's a capital expenditure, but if you just buy cloud shit, than it's an operational expenditure.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never homosexual

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never.

I had a Solara as my first car, very comfy car but somehow felt more bloated than a camry despite being a two door version of it

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *