Unpopular Auto Opinion

keys > fobs

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Phone > everything else. EDC cultists looking for random shit to put in their pockets might disagree, but I rather carry less and worry less.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's the goal right there. I already don't even have a wallet anymore. If I could start my car with my phone then it would be the only thing i needed to leave the house with

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I, too, wish for a world where my JoeBama card activates my car, my house, has access to all my money, and my private information. Certainly there will never be a situation where the federal government one day decides you have no right to your JoeBama card anymore for arbitrary reasons

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's the goal right there. I already don't even have a wallet anymore. If I could start my car with my phone then it would be the only thing i needed to leave the house with

good goys

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>phone dies
      >can't drive car
      >can't pay for a fast charge
      >standed forever

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

dies
        How often does this happen to you? You don't have a battery backup?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>EDC cultists want random shit in their pockets
          >Yeah I only carry my phone....and a spare battery bank....and a cable to charge it.... you know cause keys are just SO heavy and bulky

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You think I'm carrying the battery around in my pockets all day?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

That would be the implication that whe you said >You don't have a battery backup
            This is where you say something like "I work a pathetic desk job where I look at spreadsheets and try not to jump out the window all day so of course my phone is tethered to my desk at all times so it never dies"

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Modern phones don't have quick-replaceable batteries, anon.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>phone dies
        I havent had a phone die due to battery draining to 0% in years. How the frick does this situation even happen?

>Phone
        government chastity cage

What moronic opinion is this? A phone is the most liberating thing ever created.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>havent had a phone die due to battery draining to 0% in years.
          You must live an extremely boring life.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>my life is interesting because my dimentia has me forgetting to charge my phone

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Incorrect. I'm making fun 9f you because you've never spent more than 24 hours away from electricity. Never had a hangover movie like adventure where everything goes against the plan. Never had friends that convince you into doing some crazy shit out of the blue. Never did something dangerous that ended up damaging yourself or possessions (phone). I just can't imagine such a lifeless existence. Everything must become white noise. 0 excitement, nothing to look forward to or remember fondly of. Your life must genuinely be meaningless and boring if you can't imagine in any way being left without your phone for a minute/hour or more. There's just nothing there. Nothing to laugh about, nothing to cry about. Just white noise. Boring life. I prescribe going out not to the middle of nowhere as your a novice, but let's say 20 miles from home some weekend you can walk back from there worse to worse, and smash your phone. Figure it out from there. You'll remember that weekend 50 years from now. Not whatever the frick it is you have been doing. You're not gonna remember any of that shit.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Everything must become white noise
            pretty sure this is how my dad lives now. in hindsight the first warning sign was when i was a kid and wanted to mess with a telemarketer and he just says "nooo, just hang up" and he never does anything fun or anything with the possibility that something might not go to plan

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

That's sad, but I can confirm you understand my meaning. You said "now" though. So I hope he wasn't always this way. Fight the darkness, do something stupid or meaningless and find your way back always. Hopefully Sunday you can rest before the darkness comes back Monday. Or however your work week does work you understand. It doesn't matter if your adventure turns out to be extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable, or exciting and fun. They're all hysterical after the fact and things you'll never ever forget. Save dementia and death and shit like that but actually even then, people will tell those stories.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

im not the anon you initially replied to, but yeah i dont think he was always like this. im always doing dumb/fun shit that he never really approves of at first, but then it grows on him. like when i totalled my first car and got an even older car as a replacement, he shook his head in disbelief. after i manual swapped it now he wants to drive it kek

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Well on that, hell always disapprove of you messing up. Don't lie, you would for your kid too. Now, if you replaced that vehicle on your own dime? Hell yeah hell come around and it'll just be a funny dummy kid thing to frick up like that in a few years, he might always pick on you for how much you had to work on the replacement too but really he's proud you could. It's really not a big deal, but he's afraid that it'll become a pattern. You can't total a vehicle like wistlin diesel does every week or whatever but if you can't frick up ever, sounds like white noise. And guess what, every frick up you make today is going to become advice or skills you learned after for your future children that frick up the same way of how to fix it. Hell yeah brother, stay man. We need a lot more of men than we do tictoc models and Andrew tates.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Incorrect. I'm making fun 9f you because you've never spent more than 24 hours away from electricity.
            Hahaha, bro how the frick is that interesting? Camping is lame as frick. I guarantee whatever lame adventure you went on pales in comparison to the crazy shit I've done on my motorcycle. Oh, you did something that risked your life? I did something that risked my life AND my future. Even going to EDC is more exciting than any "electricity free" adventure.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

This is how boring your life is. I your mind, the only place electricity free is camping lmfao.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

If it's 24 hours with electricity, you are sleeping at one point without electricity. That's camping.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

He just keeps doubling down
            He's never been awake longer than 24 hours

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

someone's never had a power outage

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I have a laptop with electricity. A power bank with electricity. I can charge from my car. No electricity = literally nothing to charge your phone or other devices.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>No electricity = literally nothing to charge your phone or other devices.
            And you're saying you've not found yourself in this situation for years? Get out there dude.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Whatever Jerry, go make your smores.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

As the guy picking on his boring af life, technically I've actually got a generator for that I just backfeed the house.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Phones last all day even with extensive use. Unless you're spending 6 hours at a time watching videos and playing games, which yeah that sounds like an exciting life for sure.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

See

Incorrect. I'm making fun 9f you because you've never spent more than 24 hours away from electricity. Never had a hangover movie like adventure where everything goes against the plan. Never had friends that convince you into doing some crazy shit out of the blue. Never did something dangerous that ended up damaging yourself or possessions (phone). I just can't imagine such a lifeless existence. Everything must become white noise. 0 excitement, nothing to look forward to or remember fondly of. Your life must genuinely be meaningless and boring if you can't imagine in any way being left without your phone for a minute/hour or more. There's just nothing there. Nothing to laugh about, nothing to cry about. Just white noise. Boring life. I prescribe going out not to the middle of nowhere as your a novice, but let's say 20 miles from home some weekend you can walk back from there worse to worse, and smash your phone. Figure it out from there. You'll remember that weekend 50 years from now. Not whatever the frick it is you have been doing. You're not gonna remember any of that shit.

>Doing a nice job of it would be difficult.

I wonder if you could cram it into the spot where the "START" button goes.

Yeah you could do that but it's unlikely it'll just fit like a glove whatever you get to whatever you have. There may be some fabrication.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Blown fuse on a road trip kept me from charging my phone once. It was dead for 2 days until I got home.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Why didn't you just replace the fuse during the trip?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not many places to do that in West Texas, and no phone to look them up (if you even get service anyways).

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>phone dies
        >charge it in the car
        >bing bing wahoo

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

how do you plan on getting in without having your phone to unlock it?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

is that a real thing?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Are you familiar with the adage "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket"?
      Why set yourself up for failure like that?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Popular opinion trying to appear unpopular

Actual unpopular opinion
      Respect

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Phone
      government chastity cage

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>durrrrrrr i'm so moronic

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I was going to declare unbelievably shit bait, but 7 morons fell for it, so it must be somewhat effective.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

fobs are nice cause you dont have to take your keys out, and you can unlock your doors by proximity.
    but fobs are huge and take up a lot of space on my keychain

keys are nice, but cant have a large keychain cause it will tangle.
    keys behave better

fobs sometimes need to trick the car into turning off the engine but not turning off power, its annoying,

keys wear out, fobs dont

lots of cars you an start with the fob no wear near the car, that is worrying

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>keys wear out
      >fobs dont
      lol
      lmao. sure thing.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

youve clearly never driven a car thats 15 years old.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>2007
          >1990
          >1994
          skill issue

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>numbers
            >numbers
            >numbers
            not an argument

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

try not to handle your keys like a gorilla

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

LOL DISS homie IS GLOATING WHILE OWNIG THE WORST CAR PRODUICTON YEAR EVER MADE!

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Not him but I drive lots of cars. Most older than 2020 and often from the 80's. Never had an issue with keys unless they were some spare that was improperly cut

Now fobs on the other hand, once the vehicle was with the company more than 4-5 years it's a constant issue.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Keys wear out?
        Not within a typical human lifespan.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>large keychain cause it will tangle.

That's why you keep shit on a carabiner or lanyard to pull off as you need it.

>fobs dont

Fobs do wear out.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Fobs do wear out.
        how do fobs wear out?

try not to handle your keys like a gorilla

try going to the dealership to get a new key cut (they only cut based on vin) and the new key wont fit cause your lock is worn to shit

>fobs are nice cause you dont have to take your keys out, and you can unlock your doors by proximity.
        They are awful exactly because of this.

explain in more details why thats a bad thing

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>explain in more details why thats a bad thing
          Lurk more, you can find that even in the news. I'm tired of explaining the obvious in these threads, so here's a google search link instead:
          https://www.google.com/search?q=passive+keyless+entry+relay+attack

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

lol, i remember when you could unlock cars over the cell network

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Huh, that's quite neat. So if you can somehow relay the signals generated by the car and the "passive" fob, you can trick them into talking to each other from a much longer distance, and unlock the car without the owner noticing anything?
            All this wireless homosexual garbage was a mistake.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah. The hardware is cheap enough and easy to use, so I suspect even Black folk in the US are able to take advantage of it. In Eastern Europe where I'm from it goes without question that either you turn the passive feature off or install a sophisticated aftermarket immobilizer that interferes with the factory system (and it doesn't go well in some cases).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>how do fobs wear out?
          They get scratched and wear down, buttons lose labels and stop working, batteries leak, and that's not counting water damage, UV damage to plastic and so on. A key is a much simpler (and usually cheaper too) object.
          For how long have you owned a car?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

ive never had any of those issues with fobs.
            batteries can be replaced
            fobs shouldbe cleaned often
            dont keep your keys in your pockets with other shit for too long,and the button markings wont wear out.
            keys on the other hand wear down, and so does the cylinder. a 20 year old car can be started with a simple pick.
            i cant even get my current shitsbox key cut the dealer, they only cut via vin, and a freshly cut key will never work in my car.
            rekeying cylinders is too expensive.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

the problem is when you spend $150 on a blank OEM key on ebay for your 1982 japbox, and youre faced with a dilemma
            get the key cut at the dealer via the vin, and end up with a fresh key that needs all its corners filled down, or it wont turn your ignition
            go to home depot, and have some monkey trace your worn to frick existing key, and hope it wont ruin the blank
            or spend months trying to find a parts car with all 8 (eight) cylinder locks, or pay hundreds of dollars to have your current 8 cylinders repined.
            you dont have these issues with a fob.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

what expensive/obscure piece of shit do you drive? Black folk regularly reprogram their own keys for hellcats and scat packs REGULARLY without a trip to the dealer. i genuinely have no idea what the frick you’re on about.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>ive never had any of those issues with fobs.
            And you ignored the question.
            >batteries can be replaced
            You can't predict the leakage in advance.
            >fobs shouldbe cleaned often
            In some fobs you can't access the internals easily or at all without breaking something.
            >dont keep your keys in your pockets with other shit for too long,and the button markings wont wear out.
            In other words, you better have a separate pocket for every fob. Really convenient, good luck with that.
            >keys on the other hand wear down, and so does the cylinder. a 20 year old car can be started with a simple pick.
            20 year old car like that rarely has an original fob in good condition either.
            >rekeying cylinders is too expensive.
            I bought an entire set of pre-cut keys and cylinders (including the ignition) for my truck on ebay for less than a hundred once.

>you dont have these issues with a fob.
            You have other issues. Like a fob that costs $500+ and can be ordered only through the dealership, or can be reprogrammed only with tools that are expensive (as with my current 20 year old shitbox) or that only dealerships have access to, or the need to replace not only the faulty fob but the corresponding module(s) in the car as well because it's bound to the specific fob and can't be reprogrammed (same shitbox under certain circumstances).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It's a bad thing because sometimes you don't want the door to unlock automatically just because you got close to it.
          I had a psycho gf once that would try to stop me from leaving by getting in the drivers seat. Guess what? I didn't unlock the door until i had removed her from the position she was in.
          Keyless bullshit fob would have let her in the car, and i would have caught a DA charge for beating her to get her out of the driver's seat so I could get away from her crazy ass.
          Also, Black folk. Sometimes they loiter looking for an easy carjacking. If the door unlocks while I'm conversing with someone who's 'asking me for some gas money', it makes me more susceptible to a sudden blitz where they can force their way into my car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

sounds like a skill issue my dude

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's not, I too don't like the idea that someone else can open any of the doors just because the car thinks I'm nearby. It's my car, it has my stuff inside. Why are you comfortable with the idea of strangers getting with little to no effort into your personal property?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

solid keys are better. it’s not a skill issue. it’s something EVERYONE knows about. it’s 100% exploitable and attracts way less attention than someone breaking your window and hurriedly trying to jam a screwdriver into your ignition. keys will give you warnings. the fobs will not.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>fobs are nice cause you dont have to take your keys out, and you can unlock your doors by proximity.
      They are awful exactly because of this.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Backup screens only exist because certain people are allowed to have children that shouldn't. They should be optional.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

all these fobcûcks keep seething at the sheer simplicity of a solid key.
    lol.
    lmao.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

sup eric

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That reminds me I have to hit him up. Never responded to his text thanking me for attending his momcs memorial.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Can I get an actual mechanical key ignition installed on a modern car?

I don't trust remote start bullshit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>modern car
      Not sure if those count, but some Euro shitboxes' lowest-tier trims might still have keyless ignition as an option.
      Though those trims might also lock the buyer out of basic shit like cruise control, automatic air conditioning and adjustable seats. They don't even sell the worst trim in some countries; they're that embarrassing.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Not sure if you still can, but you could get very high trim Ford trucks with turn key ignitions as of a few years ago.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It would actually be quite easy to do. Doing a nice job of it would be difficult.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Doing a nice job of it would be difficult.

I wonder if you could cram it into the spot where the "START" button goes.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My BMW has the annoying combination of the key BEING the fob.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i like my key it doesn't have a battery.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Happy i don't often browse DA but damn if this is a common thread i would kms cause it's obvious bait. i only recently got a "newer" car (went from a 2011 mustang to a 23 explorer) and the change to a fob really wasnt that bad. I though i would hate it but didnt. Vintage/old cars are good and have their charm (not having so much computer partrs (had to get a new keyfob to "jailbreak" the mustang)) but if we honestly b***h about fobs i'm happy to have never found this board

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

kys and stfu newbie. DA argues over everything under the automotive sun.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Its a security vulnerability chief. People can unlock your car by spoofing the signal and the only upside you get out of it is that its supposed to be fun and futuristic not to have a key.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>drive a 2012 model
    >people itt are acting like it's an antique because I can only start it by turning a key inside a hole

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

embrace tradition

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Automatic is better than manual for A to B driving.
    >inb4
    I daily a manual, it's just that my dad's auto is so hassle free around town and in narrow streets.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Automatic is better than manual for women and the infirmed. Men of sound mind and body will always prefer manual.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I love manuel and shifting, but the constant N-1-N-1 in traffic kills me

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>old thing is better than new thing
    >unpopular on DA
    are you serious

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You're right. That is an unpopular opinion.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Who the frick cares about climate control?
    People are constantly b***hing about there being no fan buttons, but in any modern car the auto climate control works perfectly. Nobody buys a new car without auto climate control.

What I want is fricking media buttons for changing songs and tuning channels. It's fricking impossible to navigate radio channels on screens.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>in any modern car the auto climate control works perfectly
      Animegaygets being moronic
      Nothing surprising here
      >What I want is fricking media buttons for changing songs and tuning channels
      Check your steering wheel for those

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *