>use a FM transmitter = meme sound quality, interference, unstable physical connection

>use a FM transmitter = meme sound quality, interference, unstable physical connection
>use an Android head unit = compatibility issues, lag, Windows 95 tier boot times
>use a single-DIN unit = steering wheel controls won't work, need to find appropriate faceplate
>use a separate Bluetooth speaker = defeats the purpose, shitty soundstage
How does one effectively upgrade audio in a two decades old vehicle?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Buy a new one.

2. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Cassette adapter

3. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

use OEM cd/cassette, bluetooth adapter if aux/too lazy to make cassette
    aftermarket screens scream poor/tasteless

4. 6 days ago
    Greased Geese

put a single din under the seat with an aux port
    use the stupid remote that comes with them instead of binning it to control the volume

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

OP is too lazy to just buy an adapter for the steering wheel controls and plug in an aftermarket head unit.
      He's not stripping the interior and rewiring everything under the seat and I've got to ask why the frick you would want that anyway.

• 6 days ago
        Greased Geese

every single din i see is very ugly
        so i put it somewhere that i dont have to look at it

• 5 days ago
          civil engineering stud

Just buy a Conti, moron.

• 5 days ago
          Anonymous

The Porsche PCCM Single DIN looks pretty good, but you would need to paint the Porsche Logo. Its 1.4k though so probably wildly overpriced.

• 5 days ago
            civil engineering stud

You pay the Porsche tax but navi units never come truly cheap

5. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

>>use a single-DIN unit = steering wheel controls won't work, need to find appropriate faceplate
    Works on my machine

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Almost based renaultchad, but the true hack is getting the original Tuner List from the later models which has a CD changer input.

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

Tuner List won't work in the mk1 Twingo, sadly. That's the route I looked into first, but then I got offered this 1DIN unit that a friend had sitting around doing nothing.

• 5 days ago
          Anonymous

It works if you know how to wire it and replace the display for a newer model. The one that doesn't work is Update List because there's some CAN shenanigans at play or something like that, can't remember exactly but I believe there was an analog to digital protocol change somewhere.

• 5 days ago
            Anonymous

Oh yeah, Update List was the one that takes CANBUS signals from the steering wheel which the mk1 doesn't have. I think Tuner List needs a little box that emulates a CD changer or something, it's been a while since I looked into it too.
            I've still got the original unit and I can just unplug the patch harness I made, should I ever feel like putting it back to stock.

• 5 days ago
            Anonymous

>I think Tuner List needs a little box that emulates a CD changer or something, it's been a while since I looked into it too.
            You're correct, Update List also needs it but the difference is you can install the Tuner List on the older version if you change the display and replace the plug for the yellow ISO one (takes some rewiring with schematics). Pic related.

• 5 days ago
            Anonymous

Thankfully I already have the yellow ISO plug as standard, as mine's a pretty late model. The stock radio was also asking for a security code, which is likely easy enough to find if you type in a certain number but the freebie unit was less hassle and it works fine.

• 5 days ago
            Anonymous

So it was tuner list already, all you needed was the little box that emulates a CD changer. ConnectS2, Yatour, Dension are some available ones.
            The older head units had a 7-pin straight plug instead of the yellow ISO one (they did have ISO plugs for the speakers and power though)

• 5 days ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, just a radio + CD unit with integrated screen.
            At the end of the day the adapter box + patch harness for the freebie head unit came out cheaper than a Yatour + Bluetooth module and everything works, so I can't complain. The lighting even has a color setting that's pretty close to the speedo.

6. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

the Sony XAV-9500ES is compatible with a couple of different standards to display engine data, work with steering controls, etc., and has good sound quality. it's a single-din slot with a screen

7. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>use an Android head unit = compatibility issues, lag, Windows 95 tier boot times
    quit trying to open multiple apps at once. Just open spotify.

8. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Straight bluetooth to aux is king

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Does your pic related actually work? Looking for one for my CD30 MP3.

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

I've got that exact aux to bluetooth adapter in my own car. Work great

9. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

would it be bad to get a bigger transmitter... like a "whole house fm transmitter" off of Amazon to mess with people in traffic? what about running a few to cover multiple stations?

10. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>upgrade
    you need more?

11. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>>use a single-DIN unit = steering wheel controls won't work, need to find appropriate faceplate
    You just have to get an adapter, moron. I have steering controls on my Pioneer head unit.

12. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>use a FM transmitter = meme sound quality
    motherfricker my volume is up so high that the amplifiers are distorting more than the FM preemphasis is
    >interference
    Yeah, for everyone else. Im cooking with 40 watts in this b***h. God i love being an RF engineer.
    >unstable physical connection
    skill issue
    >android head unit
    yeah those suck big time. the software is invariably trash, you can't even flash anything worthwhile on it because they use chinese shitter mediatek chips that nobody writes ROMs for.
    >use a single-DIN unit = steering wheel controls won't work
    my steering wheel controls don't work stock
    >use a separate bluetooth speaker = defeats the purpose, shitty soundstage
    use good ones and use multiple, it sounds awesome. one in each footwell

13. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

You're kind of screwed in a situation like this if you can't somehow get a RCA output. It's usually a b***h to get the steering wheel controls interfaced into a aftermarket head unit. It's even worse when your HVAC controls tie into your HU too. You could use the high level input on a amplifier but that's definitely not the right way to do it.

14. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>he doesn’t exclusively listen to AM radio on the stock unit

15. 5 days ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Why the frick do you need steering wheel controls?

16. 5 days ago
    civil engineering stud

I thought this board took audio seriously. What you should have is a Denon AVR-X1800H or similar unit, hooked up to an inverter, itself hooked to the battery. You know who did car audio the right way? Zender, you can look up their 280TE to get an idea of how it's properly done.

17. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Android Auto works fine on the 3 cars I use it on. Sounds great and worlds great

18. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

it's not even a problem
    i get in my car, start it, and by the time i've driven 20ft it's connected

19. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

i burn cds

• 5 days ago
      civil engineering stud

basado

20. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

FM transmitters are fine and usually you get better quality than radio stations despite using a lower quality transmitter, because it's 2 feet from your radio so there are no losses.
    Here's a spectrum plot of a cheap (CHEAP!) fm car transmitter I just took with my SDR setup.

You'll notice it doesn't have true stereo broadcast, better car fm units will. It's not really important.
    Car bluetooth is usually relatively low quality, like equal to a 200kbps mp3 v.0.

Here's a shit quality phone recording of the fm transmitter:
    https://vocaroo.com/16P633UN61Lm
    You can hear the full range is well and present, and the high treble is well defined. Please excuse the blocky quality, it is a shit 128kbps phone recording from a free app and uploaded to vocaroo. The blocky mp3 effect isn't important here, it's that you can hear the full audio range well enough despite my car having loud cabin noise at 45MPH, due to the aircon blasting full, having out of balance tires and some aging wheel bearings.
    When I switched over to my head unit's bluetooth (did not record, too lazy deal with it) the quality difference was so small it didn't fricking matter. It was there but if a person never knew there is a slight quality diff between a cheap FM and phone BT they'd never think about it.

So OP
    >hurr shitt fm transmitters
    >but im too broke, cheap and lazy to do a real car audio upgrade
    Go frick yourself, kill your parents, shoot your dog, rape your sister, then jump off a tall bridge.

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

That's vocaroo.com/16P633UN6lLm sorry

21. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

>steering wheel controls won't work
    What steering wheel controls?

22. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

I just burn my own discs these days. It's a small hassle but you keep your steering controls and superior audio quality.

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

post burned cd collection an/o/n

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

90s kid?

I remember those early 00s where u can do free mail in rebates and get hellla blank CDs. Kool kids has cd burners and making CDs at school. I was one of them.

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

mfw mp3 cd player so I can cram hours of music on one cd

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

I removed the CD changer in my E46 and replaced it with a bluetooth adapter, that's a good solution. All the controls work and get you a clean stock look.

23. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

The best system I found was something called a Limcet box that intercepted the factory screen and controls and let you run Android Auto and Apple Carplay ontop of the original system without cutting wires
    It boots instantly, is very responsive, and you don't have to deal with a jank, unsupported build of Android or a screen thay never gets bright enough to see in the sun
    Holding down a button throws you back into the original system so it really feels like an additional feature to the car rather than a chintzy Aliexpress head unit

24. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

I did an aptx hd bluetooth reciever to 3.5mm jack. though i guess you get the same issue as the single-DIN. I was fine with using the skip/play/pause on the receiver extension that was double-sided 3M taped to the dash with the wires running under the trim

25. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

I used a single DIN unit and I don't have some homosexual gay shit like steering wheel controls. The faceplate that came with the unit worked well. It looks good because it's a quality $200 radio and not some $15 chink garbage from fleabay.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *