Used-car-maxxing

i need a car to drive to an internship i start in a few weeks
max cost: $5k

how can i get my hands on a reliable, used car

dealerships are scum so im trying to avoid 'em

> current idea
im thinking of making flyers and posting them around retirement homes and wherever old people live and hopefully be able to get a bargain from a boomer kicking the bucket

(also, i read the pinned used car guide already; im new to DA, i generally stick to DA, DA, DA, /x/ for cool, esoteric images, and /misc/ whenever there's something "happening")

backstory (for those who have minimal curiosity):
my parents want me to take the fricking bus and train (1hr 30 min commute vs 35 min by car) because they want to spend $17k on a new driveway (bc our current one is a bit ugly but its actually fricking fine, no holes, just very coarse and some oil stains from previous cars, but the current cars cover them anyways), they knew beforehand they'd need to buy me a car around the same time theyd need to pay for this driveway so it was a selfish ass fricking decision, FRICK YOUR DRIVEWAY.

To anyone with legitimately helpful advice, a million thanks.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Congrats on the internship, what is it?
    I'm going to NY to start June 3rd

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

thank you anon; its not NYC, nor NY however, i do have some friends that will be interning in NYC, i'd prefer not to say for anonymity reasons but if you dropped some other way to contact you (discord maybe) i i could get you in touch, or dont, i understand privacy concerns

https://i.imgur.com/DuF9He6.png

Just go to a dealer.
      Probably something decent for that money

how can i convince my dad of this, he just does not trust used dealerships in general and the original plan was he buys my mom a new car and i get my moms car, so he only wants to buy a used car from someone he "trusts" or a new car, i feel like it would be easier to get him onboard with buying a used car from an actual individual

Craigslist, fb marketplace

ive been checking but nothing in my budget or at least no one responding (im looking for a toyota or honda or something actually reliable)

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>(im looking for a toyota or honda or something actually reliable)

Early 2000s Buicks and Pontiacs are worth considering if they've got the Buick 3800 3.8L V6 engine. Those are super reliable and they can be had cheap. The Ford Panther platform which includes the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car also worth considering, they're super reliable and comfy although they don't have great gas mileage since they're a big ass rear wheel drive V8, still well worth it though in my opinion. I drive a 2008 Town Car and I love it.

The Pontiac Vibe is also worth considering, its actually a Toyota Matrix with a Toyota engine and transmission that's rebranded as a Pontiac. Very reliable and practical cars.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Oh yeah Scions also tend to be a bargain. Scions were made by Toyota and they've all got Toyota parts and Toyota reliability but since the brand isn't around any more they can be had a little cheaper.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Are you in finance?
        My son is doing an internship this summer.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>how can i convince my dad of this, he just does not trust used dealerships in general

Tell him that your friend anon has bought many affordable shitboxes from shady used lots and around 85% of them were awesome. The others were obviously shitty but my parents overlooked that and made me buy them

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Craigslist, fb marketplace

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just go to a dealer.
    Probably something decent for that money

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dealerships are fine, no point in limiting yourself to just private sellers.

Here's Autotempest. It searches all the major sites for you. Plug in what you want there.

https://www.autotempest.com/

You want a car with a clean title, you want under 200,000 miles, preferably under 150,000, no check engine light and no rust. The cars in the sticky post at the top of the thread on advice for buying a good cheap car are all pretty solid options.

What kind of a car do you want? I could give you a recommendation if you say what you want beyond just reliability.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

thanks anon, ill check it out, i'd like it to not look ugly (being super picky not an ugly color) so not dented or scratched or minimal wear (preferably even look cool lol), good gas mileage, a sedan, itd be cool if it could accelerate super quickly, or be fast or handle super well like something a bit sporty, but mileage matters more

>(im looking for a toyota or honda or something actually reliable)

Early 2000s Buicks and Pontiacs are worth considering if they've got the Buick 3800 3.8L V6 engine. Those are super reliable and they can be had cheap. The Ford Panther platform which includes the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car also worth considering, they're super reliable and comfy although they don't have great gas mileage since they're a big ass rear wheel drive V8, still well worth it though in my opinion. I drive a 2008 Town Car and I love it.

The Pontiac Vibe is also worth considering, its actually a Toyota Matrix with a Toyota engine and transmission that's rebranded as a Pontiac. Very reliable and practical cars.

you def know more ab cars than me and all that and youre prob right, but my dad is super anti-american car, so he wouldnt buy those, def out of the question, except maybe the pontiac vibe

Oh yeah Scions also tend to be a bargain. Scions were made by Toyota and they've all got Toyota parts and Toyota reliability but since the brand isn't around any more they can be had a little cheaper.

ahh, i remember scion, and they were some sweet looking rides too (at least what i remember as a kid in comparison to my parents old shitter cars), thanks, i'll look into them

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dude thank you! I've been hunting for trucks for a mobile mechanic business I'm starting and this website is really nice for comparing all the vehicles out there.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You're welcome anon. Its a handy site.

https://i.imgur.com/4OcAmkx.jpeg

also, what’s your location? huge variations in regional pricing.
        Also, if you get a job out of that internship, don’t stick around longer than 2-3 years unless it’s a really good company, because they’ll bring you on at slave-tier wages and all your percentage raises will be based off that original slave wage.
        https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/711501223?allListingType=all-cars&city=Marietta&makeCode=SCION&maxPrice=4500&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fall-cars%2Fcars-under-4500%2Fscion%2Fmarietta-ga%3FnewSearch%3Dfalse%26searchRadius%3D0%26sortBy%3DmileageASC%26zip%3D30066&searchRadius=0&sortBy=mileageASC&state=GA&zip=30066&clickType=listing
        This probably has a salvage title, but if you can find a car that’s newer than 15 years and around 100,000 miles you can probably avoid a lot of issues. (around 20-25 years lots of “lifetime” parts start failing on any car).

So for reference when you're posting an autotrader link like that all you need is the part up to and including the 9 digit number.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/711501223

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends where you live. Where I'm at, the strategy would be to spend 2.5-3.5k on something decent, then plan to spend 500-1k on immediate catch-up maintenance/light repairs. Look at 2000s Buicks with the 3.8L, 90s Toyotas, or Pontiac Vibes whose owners don't know it's a Toyota.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>they knew beforehand they'd need to buy me a car around the same time theyd need to pay for this driveway so it was a selfish ass fricking decision, FRICK YOUR DRIVEWAY.

still being bottle fed

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If its a good paying job take the bus until your first paycheck, then go to a credit union to finance a new car using your $5k as a downpayment.

Since its probably not paying well since its an internship; Facebook marketplace, newspaper classifieds, or walk/bike around town until you see a car with a "For Sale" sign on it and inquire about price and conditon. The last is what I did a year and a half ago and found a decent shitbox for $850 that I still drive today.
    It helps if you can work on your own car to save on money.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Should've done the driveway work yourself but instead you are b***hing about how mommy and daddy are spending the money they earned.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Learning to wrench offsets a lot of the reliability factor and opens up your options. If you're the one paying for the car, then tell your dad to eat a dick and try the American cars anons are recommending.
    I'm surprised you're not finding anything on FBM though, unless you're just being really picky. You can also try offerup, though the deals aren't as good there.
    Have you considered a motorcycle?

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>dealerships are scum
    >admits that his dad is the one that doesn't trust dealerships
    Anon, I think you need to grow up

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

try and find an old persons car, pontiac buic etc, they legit baby their cars, or even better yet when they are dead and the kids are trying to sell the car super fast, thats where you can get a cheap ass car thats super reliable

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nah. Old people drive so slow that the engine and transmission is all sludgy. Better to buy my used shitbox cause you can dump the clutch and hit the redline 40x per day without it needing everything repaired

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This all depends on if you’re willing and able to work on your car. Any 5k car will need a rather large service, be it suspension, timing belt, gaskets, etc just because of age and/or miles. If you want a more enjoyable drive that requires more of your time and money, get a fast German car. Make sure to do your research here, some cars are not salvageable. If you want a cheaper option that needs less constant repairs, get an early 2000 Honda/toyota like everyone suggests, but be prepared to shell out money for tires and urgent repairs. This will be 1.5k if you get good tires plus assorted suspension parts. Various shades of Black folk here will tell you that they rebuilt an entire suspension for 200$, but I don’t like chinesium on my cars. If you buy oem parts and have a mechanic do all the necessary work, up the repair budget to 3k and be prepared to spend 1-1.5k per year on maintenance. Personally, I would never buy any American sedan since they are all piles of shit with cheap interiors, but maybe people on here can suggest something. Overall: get a mid 2000 merc v8, mid 2000 bmw i6 or a Toyota/honda of that era. Subaru is a gamble, maybe I’m missing others I wouldn’t recommend.
    >tldr: there are no old cars that don’t require expensive maintenance

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>they knew beforehand they'd need to buy me a car
    Best bet is to walk you stupid homosexual

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

MFW I picked up a near mint 6 Speed CC for 6k last week at a Nissan dealership of all places.

Gotta jump on shit when you see it OP

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Neat, in my country it's 23k with 70k miles

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I never like to spend 100% of my budget on a used car, so find one for $3-4k and haggle them down. If you have $2-3k leftover that’ll fix a bunch of shit on an older shitbox (transmission: $500, etc).
    Just find an older, semi/unpopular but reliable model owned by a white MAN or an east asian. Sometimes you can find single owner shitboxes in pristine condition for cheap. I saw a mazda 626 awhile back that some guy had owned for like 20 years that was going for about the same as all the clapped out shitboxes being sold by beaners. Those are the cars you want to target.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

also, what’s your location? huge variations in regional pricing.
    Also, if you get a job out of that internship, don’t stick around longer than 2-3 years unless it’s a really good company, because they’ll bring you on at slave-tier wages and all your percentage raises will be based off that original slave wage.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/711501223?allListingType=all-cars&city=Marietta&makeCode=SCION&maxPrice=4500&newSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fall-cars%2Fcars-under-4500%2Fscion%2Fmarietta-ga%3FnewSearch%3Dfalse%26searchRadius%3D0%26sortBy%3DmileageASC%26zip%3D30066&searchRadius=0&sortBy=mileageASC&state=GA&zip=30066&clickType=listing
    This probably has a salvage title, but if you can find a car that’s newer than 15 years and around 100,000 miles you can probably avoid a lot of issues. (around 20-25 years lots of “lifetime” parts start failing on any car).

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>This probably has a salvage title

Carfax says it doesn't actually. It had a crash; but it was minor and it had one owner.

That's a steal for what is essentially a 2016 Toyota Yaris sedan if there's not something wrong with it mechanically or major rust problems. Would be a great beater.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ahh, I see it now. Its got dents in the rear bumper which is probably why its so cheap; but that's an easy fix. You could probably find a black bumper at a junkyard and have it thrown on for well under $500. Or you could just live with it.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Looks like it’s in nebraska, so kind of inconvenient.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, nowhere near me. If it was I'd check it out.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *