"Van Life"

What's your opinion on living out of a vehicle? Can it be done in a dignified way, or is it always trashy?

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It can be done in a dignified way if your vehicle has all of the things that you need to cook and to clean yourself, your clothes, and your belongings.

The problem is that it also isn't nearly as cost-effective as people claim on the internet because if you want to be able to do all of those things on a regular basis you will have to pay for propane/electricity and water constantly, and those things cost far more in portable form or as hookups than they would in a house, not to mention the gas you would need to move yourself from place to place if you want to travel frequently.

If you don't have a remote job it's honestly more of a luxury or an extended vacation/road trip than a real way to live. The costs don't really boil down to being all that much cheaper than renting or paying a mortgage unless you're living in NYC/LA/SF.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This. I love using my RV but it's insanely expensive just for bare necessities let alone luxuries.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I converted a low top chevy van into a RV while working full time and lived in it for 2 years. Stealth camped in the city most of the time.

Most fun I've ever had. I moved states and bought a RV for the extra room. I regret not buying a high top van, because then I wouldn't have bought the RV.

It's not that expensive. The cost to convert is a lot, easily $10,000. Operating costs while living it are little to nothng.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It's still generally less expensive than if you're factoring in ALL the household costs like:

-property taxes
      -municipal fees (i.e. we replace your culvert and charge you $1400 for it)
      -nat gas/propane, hydro, water (your water bill has a monthly connection fee jsyk, then usage on top of it - as do most gas bills)
      -landscaping/groundskeeping costs
      -condo fees or HOA fees if you're really dumb and buy a house with an HOA
      -snow clearing costs/fees (i.e. snowblower/gas for it or paying PlowMan)
      -general maintenance and upkeep of the house, plumbing repairs, etc.
      -insurance, property and liability

I think making van life economical is climate dependent. If you live in an area where it's not going to snow, you'll always have fresh water/rivers/lakes to dip into and you won't need to spend as much on diesel heater/running your engine to stay warm. You can do woodstove stuff like ForestyForest does too.

You will already have certain continuing costs like fuel and insurance for a van, but you'll be eliminating a lot of costs associated with a house.

trustfund kid LARP

Basically this for 90% of vanlifers. The ones who are trustfundbabies do rough it a bit.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>The ones who are *NOT* trustfundbabies do rough it a bit.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>nat gas/propane, hydro, water (your water bill has a monthly connection fee jsyk, then usage on top of it - as do most gas bills)
        You will still be paying this if you want to be able to shower and cook, and it will often be more than it would be in a house.
        >landscaping/groundskeeping costs
        What fricking hellhole do you live in where this is a factor?
        >general maintenance and upkeep of the house, plumbing repairs, etc.
        >insurance, property and liability
        You will be paying this for a van or RV.

Several other entries on the rest of this list is optional.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>What fricking hellhole do you live in where this is a factor?
          What shithole do you inhabit where you don't have to maintain your lawn, trees, driveway, etc. to stop your property from looking like a white trash dump?

You're assuming a lot regarding costs to hook up. In most places outside of camp grounds, or even in campgrounds, they have dump stations to empty black/grey water tanks and fresh water hookups to fill your tanks. These are just pull-through areas, no one patrols them and anyone can just pull up and use them for free.

About the only increase in cost I could see is having to buy food in smaller quantities, rather than bigger bulk packages, so you'd be spending more by having to shop more frequently.

If you already have a vehicle you're paying insurance on it, and if you have a house you're paying insurance on that. Remove the house = only paying insurance on the vehicle.

Most of my comparison was based on the assumption that you have a house AND a vehicle. If you are a busriding NEET then it doesn't apply as much.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>In most places outside of camp grounds, or even in campgrounds, they have dump stations to empty black/grey water tanks and fresh water hookups to fill your tanks. These are just pull-through areas, no one patrols them and anyone can just pull up and use them for free.
            In lots of campgrounds you have to pay for this, or to pay to stay in the campground. Maybe it's different for your state but in many places it isn't the case. In some states you can't repeat-stay in a campground outside of a certain time-period also.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Then you just pull along the side of the road and empty your black tank into a ditch, it's just peepeepoopoo anyways.

You can fill up your water tanks at most firehalls or community centres, they have spigots on the outside of them.

• 1 month ago
        Anonynous

>nat gas/propane, hydro, water (your water bill has a monthly connection fee jsyk, then usage on top of it - as do most gas bills)
        You will still be paying this if you want to be able to shower and cook, and it will often be more than it would be in a house.
        >landscaping/groundskeeping costs
        What fricking hellhole do you live in where this is a factor?
        >general maintenance and upkeep of the house, plumbing repairs, etc.
        >insurance, property and liability
        You will be paying this for a van or RV.

Several other entries on the rest of this list is optional.

Hello fellows. I'm paying a flat rate if rent at 700/month and about 280/month in car insurance for a Focus.

My mommy buys me food for the time being, so thats a nonfactor, but cooking is, I would lose normal soup usage, but I could still eat my plain tuna cans.

Can VanLyfing save ME money l, you beautiful geniuses?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

well you live in squalor so I don't know, it might not save you money but it also might just be a lateral move since you're basically homeless

van might even be an upgrade from whatever shithole you live in right now

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

trustfund kid LARP

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

this is a psyop to make people freeze to death, typical israeli blood sacrifice shit.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

i don't view harmless things like this as "dignified" or "trashy". it's a cool thing to do, weigh the options and do it or don't do it. personally i think i'm too stupid to convert a van without wasting too much money and i want more room anyway, so i always looked at other options

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

don't make me do it

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depends what you use and what your living situation is. A few issues would be how would you make money, where would you go, and what type of van you live in. Pic related in your post won't work, it's small as frick and only has room for a bed and few things. Get a GMC/Chevy van, or short bus. Hell, maybe an RV but those are pretty much paper mache compared to vans.

> 48k for the same fricking van made for 20 years

Just buy a used one and save the money for the van life necessities.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>> 48k for the same fricking van made for 20 years
        New life new van, man.
        Have you ever seen a Red Hot chevy express before?

Cool for vacations and road trips, terrible as an alternative to living in a real house.

Where do you even park your van/RV on road trips or vacations? Just find a walmart?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Walmarts around here will tow your car if you stay overnight. I think it's only in places like California where Walmarts are open to homeless hobos living in their cars.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Where is "around here?" Georgia is chill.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

> 48k for the same fricking van made for 20 years
        How do they keep getting away with it? Who is buying these instead of a Transit?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

If you dont need a high roof van idk who in their right mind would pick a transit over an express.
          The express clears in everyway except maybe mpgs
          >4.3l and 6.6l both superior in reliability and power
          >can tow around 10,000lbs depending on options
          >doesn't have gay euro styling

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

20 years? Ford is still selling a van platform NEW from like 1975.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

At least E350 has kept up with the aesthetics of the times. Express looks increasingly like a van exclusively for pedos

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Buy it before they frick up the platform.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I've been tinkering with classic vans for years and also spent time as a hobo/crust punk. Prior to covid living in a vehicle fricking sucked. People called the cops on you and you were viewed as a fringe weirdo, which you likely were.
    Work from home gays changed the stigma to the opposite end of the spectrum where living in a van is viewed as a rich kid LARP activity and fricked the prices of the van market.
    The only up side I've really seen is that no one calls the cops or gives a shit anymore about people sleeping in their vehicles.
    I hope this fad dies out soon and the market gets flooded with cheap old vans.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Cool for vacations and road trips, terrible as an alternative to living in a real house.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's dumb I'd rather just rent a cabin or camp and then go back to my home with a toilet and running water

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

According to DAtists vans are le based but if you do literally the exact same thing with a truck&leer topper it’s gay and you have a micropenis

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The is entite thread is anons shitting on #vanlife gays and the catalog is full of pro-truck threads.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>According to DAtists vans are le based but if you do literally the exact same thing with a truck&leer topper it’s gay and you have a micropenis
      I want to live in a car. If you're telling me this can be done better in a truck than a van, then I am ALL fricking ears. Let's hear it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>According to DAtists vans are le based but if you do literally the exact same thing with a truck&leer topper it’s gay and you have a micropenis
      I want to live in a car. If you're telling me this can be done better in a truck than a van, then I am ALL fricking ears. Let's hear it.

You'll get like 4 feet of vertical room living on a truck bed with a cap. And barely 6 feet of length. Why would any sane person do this?

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Nice link, anon.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>snapchat news
      l m f a o

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>soiboys and women can't do anything mildy difficult
      >post about how life is unfair on social media

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Can it be done in a dignified way, or is it always trashy?
    It's trashy 100% of the time. Don't let anyone lie to you and say otherwise.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I wanna do this so bad, but finding a van is annoying here in florida

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Expand your scope. A reliable van should be able to be driven back to Florida no problem

https://i.imgur.com/j1n35Ec.jpeg

>soiboys and women can't do anything mildy difficult
      >post about how life is unfair on social media

I mean, life IS unfair. But that's no reason to be a big pussy about it.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I think it's pretty cool if you can live out of a van all summer, or use it on an extended road trip seeing a lot of different places. But I think actually living full time out of a van, doing the traveling and working from your laptop while living in a van for years on end...that just seems unpleasant to me.

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>living out of a van or vehicle
    based af
    >how 99% of people do it
    cringe af
    best example is how they all choose panel vans with no windows, if they want to see the outside they have to open the rear doors.
    anyone who has spendt some time camping or in off grid cabins know that most of the time weather will be shit yet you want to watch it from your comfy resting place inside. so you need a large window....
    >but then they will see you from the outside?
    dont park around people then? another fault vanlifer make, its so easy to find desolate places but they have to park on the most busy lot they can find.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's fine. Free drinks and showers at Love's with your reward bennies.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you're going van life, buy a E-350/450. These things are pretty bulletproof. I drove around 15 6.8 V10 Triton E-450 chassis vehicles for work not too long ago that got 3k interval oil changes and none of them showed engine problems, even past 200k. Only a few of the transmissions were a bit weird, but they were large commercial vehicles so not too surprising.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>your car is you house
      >you do it to save money
      >yeah lets just buy a v10 gasser......

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

What exactly else do you think is realistically livable in and gets better mileage?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

like fricking every vw, ford, fiat and mb with whatever 4cyl diesel they come with.
          are you thar dense? even your choice of van would be better off with diesel.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You know this is an American thread right?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you do know that the world isnt american and i, like many others, dont care about your advice. it simply isnt relevant to the outside world, the free world.
            in fact its kinda funny to mock the so called free country who can only buy what their goverment allow them to.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Vanlyfing is illegal in Europe so I don't know why you're here.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

lol.
            "eu is one set of laws
            its legal in my city or suburb to do street parking and camping, and most importantly its legal on private logging roads as long as it goes so without crossing our right to roam laws.
            i think in spain you get shot at for this, but im not in spain so i dont care.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

right to roam is one way that yuropoors absolutely have a one-up on amerigays

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Where the frick are you going to roam to? Some sheep field?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Enjoy being arrested for posting things on Facebook moron

• 1 month ago
            Anonynous

>2022
            >still using Faceberg

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If I could do it again:
    >high top extended ford van
    >ecoflow home panel kit that allows alternator + solar charging
    >that new 48v 15kwh lifepo4 battery from eg4 that's only $3500
    >fricking $1000 composting toilet
    >gray tank under the body

The only reason I don't like step vans or box trucks is their terrible mpg, around 10 or less. They are better for stealth camping though.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Are you saying you want to live in a van down by the river, op?

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Not living out of a big gas guzzling, Leaded fuel using, smog crop dusting, heavy, nearly uncontrollable, 1970's Tiffin Allegro

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

just get an RV or 5th wheel you morons

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Where do you plan on parking your truck and trailer? It's illegal to have an unhooked trailer in the streets in most cities.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *