Venture Bros is my favorite cartoon.

Venture Bros is my favorite cartoon. I was reading about how Jackson Publick started writing for the Tick, and Edlund introduced him and Doc Hammer.
In addition the way they talk about things makes it seem like Venture Bros is sort of a conceptual descendant of the Tick.
I've never seen the Tick, only read one or two of the original comic stories (which I enjoyed).
Does it share some of the appeal of Venture Bros?

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Jackson wrote the Tick Karma Tornado comic book
    but if you like Venture Bros you'd probably enjoy the original 12 issues of Ben Edlund's comic. It kind of ends up being similar to venture bros by the end (did Jackson ghost write some of the final issues??)

Now that Venture Bros is over and Tick Amazon show got cancelled maybe Ben can get Doc and Jackson together and work on a new Tick cartoon

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

i really liked the amazon show, shame it got cancelled.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I liked it more than the Boys

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

i dont like the boys, s01 was mid to good, s02 dropped hard

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Wait until the next season where they go full hammered on the politics.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you and everyone else my man. if it wasnt being carried by homelanders actor then it wouldnt have had a second season. then again i enjoyed the jupiters legacy adaption more

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Honestly, every Tick adaptation has been pretty solid. Even the 2001 Fox series.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Same. I do wish we get a Tick show that doesn't get canceled prematurely.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

it's bizarre, absolutely unheard of, for a comic to get a 90s cartoon, a 00s sitcom, and a 10s live action show, and they're all fricking good. not a dud among em. Sitcom was the worst, but they did a LOT with what they had. The whole Apocalypse Cow fight happening offscreen, it was as good as it could have been on their budget.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>i really liked the amazon show, shame it got cancelled.
        Same here, it was a good show.

I liked it more than the Boys

It was a lot better than The Boys, but didn't appeal to casuals the same way The Boys did, I guess.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I didn't like that it went to "Evil Superman." Fricking Jeff Bezos, he'll pay for any capeshit as long as it has an Evil Superman. We get it, you're Lex Luthor. Frick off.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Er, it didn't though? He was just, well, a realistic take on "a superpowered alien coming to another planet and becoming its hero."
          he's a good guy, but he has nobody to keep him in check, no authority to look to. Nothing to stop his ego from growing. He's like any celebrity, he's become out of touch with acceptable behavior. but he's still a hero in the end, he's just got work to do on himself. Though he probably wouldn't get the chance, after the cliffhanger..

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Er, it didn't though? He was just, well, a realistic take on "a superpowered alien coming to another planet and becoming its hero."
          he's a good guy, but he has nobody to keep him in check, no authority to look to. Nothing to stop his ego from growing. He's like any celebrity, he's become out of touch with acceptable behavior. but he's still a hero in the end, he's just got work to do on himself. Though he probably wouldn't get the chance, after the cliffhanger..

I wonder if Edlund ever said where they were gonna go with it cause to me it sounds like Superian was a guy who got imprisoned on his planet (Like didn't someone describe the Big Bismuth as a prison?), ended up on Earth, and tried to turn over a new leaf but had issues under the pressure

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i still fricking love 'big bismuth.' god damn that was a good show. too good for this world.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I got you a picture.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

it's so fricking sad My Adventures is pulling this same fricking thing. it's such a tired story. give me something fresh, like luthor paying people to support his movement and then finding there are people already doing it, and neither he nor they can even tell if they're doing it ironically or what.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I think it's for the best when that show cancelled.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The S2 was a bit weaker, due to not focusing nearly enough on Arthur and Tick, but it still had great moments like Arthur fully accepting the whole "can't go back home again" thing and becoming a fulltime hero.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I liked that the world could expand, the important thing was that the Tick never compromised on his nature. i do wonder though, after the fakeout of 'haha what if the tick is arthur's superpower, he manifested him' was dropped, how do you explain that early thing where he claims to be the voice arthur heard once or something

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The first season was an excellent slow burn, but The Tick is not a property that could afford to attempt a slow burn in an over-saturated superhero market.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Hopefully in the next decade we get another Tick show but hopefully it would be animation.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Honestly in the next few years I could see a new Tick cartoon catching on with zoomers, more and more normies are coming to dislike mainstream superhero content so an absurd parody might be very popular.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

considering it was ripping on the cinematic hero genre, I think it can burn however it wants and the overcrowdedness will only help

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This cartoon is the shit.
    It's all accessible on youtube just by searching its title, there is a playlist with every the tick episode.
    it has fun, memorable, funny characters (like bipolar bear)
    it is worth watching

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This, can't stop laughing with this shit.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

whatever they do next, they gotta give rob paulsen some kinda cameo. let him be Brainchild's dad or something.
        >It's certainly not vindictive against successful people, and I don't know why you'd think that.
        i said it's NOT. I guess I need to start putting negatives in all caps.
        >mrs the monarch is successful
        i mean kind of. they show that her new Guild is hanging by a thread at all times, and it's destroying her marriage.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I read you saying it's not a story about hating successful people, but it read as though you were saying the Tick is not a vindictive story about hating successful people therefore it doesn't fit into the setting of the Venture Bros.
          I'm... not really sure what else that could've meant, reading it over again.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

oh okay, I can see how that happened. fricking pronouns. even before they got hijacked for political purposes, they were still awkward. I'd rather just say Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla every time.
            and I don't mean to pigeonhole the show really, I just don't see how a gleefully successful superhero like Tick could ever really work in the show. Even Brown Widow has little flaws and things holding him back.

https://i.imgur.com/l2cMrm6.jpeg

Do we have any reason to believe the original cartoon and/or the comic *doesn't* take place in the Venture Bros universe?

now that you mention it... No reason it couldn't.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The writing on the show was far to kino-ludo for a kids show man. I mean thats why everyone working on the show got "better" jobs after the Tick

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It's always fascinating to me when that shit happens. The earliest one I can think of is Garfield and Friends. Where like, the people writing this clearly had lofty aspirations, and were not content to be a braindead kiddy show. and it holds up to this fricking day, with just a little tameness holding it back.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Duckman everyone was hella creative making silly ass kids show. They get funding for an adult cartoon and release one of the top 3 animations of the 90's. Only problem its on a shit channel.... like srsly I get it was early in the studio but frick man. Maybe it was nick not allowing them to work at other places. Also its strange they never did any other adult animation after duckman. Studio basically dies in the 00's, they should have done something for adult swim in the mid/late 00's.

And poof now their IP which launched them into tv gets a remake in 3D that looks nothing like the animation it was known for an terrible writing. Rather sad I need to read into wtf happened with them cause it makes no sense they put out a lot of good shows did like someone die?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

are you trying to say "those who worked on Duckman previously worked on silly kids' shows" ?
            It sounds like you think one of us implied a particular topic that we didn't

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I meant everyone working at csupó was wasting their talent, they put out duckman and it was amazing. Would not surprise me if because of it people were offered jobs elsewhere leading them to way better careers.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i don't think they had anything to do with Duckman beyond their animation studio animating it. Peck's art style looks Csupoesque, but it's distinctly his own thing.
            I do like to think that it launched someone's careers though! and yeah, Csupo doesn't do stuff like this anymore (I mean I think they did finally shut down? But basically the entire 21st century they stopped doing stuff like this)

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

they produced the show way more than just the animation, I had no idea but it turns out they did a lot of work for the simpsons till season 3. Damn I wonder how many young animators were forced on rugrats wanting to work on the simpsons in its prime and later duckman . Totally gonna dig around now.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I like the cut of his jib!

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

how is it that Beyond is such an excellent show yet its villains have so little personality and/or often terrible designs.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It felt kind of thematically appropriate that Gotham going to shit in the cyberpunk future coincided with a downgrade in villain quality.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

right? I was literally thinking that, it's like.. they're more pragmatic.
            there's not so much "I want to cause chaos and commit crimes to prove that i'm not at fault for my actions / because i was cheated out of a great career / because i need to prove how smart I am to everyone / because I feel I belong in high society" and a lot more "Life sucks, want money." to the point that one of them was just Terry's friend's dad with some fancy guns, who was behind on his bills. The majority of them, they really didn't design them with "This will be a lasting character with many future appearances" in mind at all. Just Inque and Spellbinder, and even they had pretty ugly human faces. Not Dick Tracy ugly like old Bat rogues, regular-frick ugly. I guess Curare and Stalker were pretty distinctive at least

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Edlund also wrote the best VB episode. they are on such a great wavelength.
    >some of the appeal
    absolutely. not so much the long interwoven plots, but the absurdity, the contrast of taking the world of heroes and villains as a casual thing you can just do as a job, the failed attempts at maintaining a normal life, all of that. and the sheer glee of the puns.
    >Excuse me, but I am not actually Stalin. I'm Stalingrad. A former-graduate student in Russian studies turned supervillain.
    >I-I based my WORK on the works of Joseph Stalin.
    and that's just the cartoon. Then you have the sitcom, which was good but it got libpreachy at the end. then the new show, which was pretty fricking incredible. Just so well written, perfectly performed... I say watch all three, but skip the sitcom if you're not feeling it. I feel Batmanuel is worth it.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Thanks anons, looks like I have a new cartoon to watch.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Adult Swim should make a new Tick cartoon.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

that might be a good fit actually. the original cartoon was held back slightly by being on fox kids. and hell, we can get townsend OR serafinowicz back. they are both available.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah and we might get to see some characters from The Venture Bros cameo in the new Tick cartoon. And hopefully Adult Swim doesn't canceled it after one or two seasons.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I imagine we'd get the -actors- cameoing as new characters.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Even better. It's like the voice actor of Brock.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That would be pretty cool. Id hope they actually follow a bit more of the comic and have it start with Tick fighting Ninjas and go into Tick/Arthur going on a road trip to New York

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It shares a lot of the appeal.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

My dad actually had the dvd from a friend back in the 2000s.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Isn't it missing vs. the Mole People due to the Cindy Crawford parody?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

the cartoon tick show is far more lighthearted than venture bros. it was one of my favorites on saturday mornings and my dad thought it had some funny moments too

>chairface chippendale
      pretty sure the voice actor was the voice of Frollo from the disney hunchback movie

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

my man Tony Jay. We will miss him forever.

Based mom

Does Ben Edlund still put out new issues, or is it just reprints?

i just assumed it ended many years ago, but I dunno how indie comics do things

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I've never seen the Tick
    You should it was the best cartoon foxkids made. The tick was fricking ludo top 5 animations of the 90's. So stupid they went with reviving the tick and its live action. If the dude is not 6'6+ and 340lb+ he's not the fricking tick and its cringe.

The comics are good but ehhhh its a shame there is so little its a bunch of one shots or minis.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Warburton did his damn best and filled the (platform) shoes decently, but Peter Serafinowicz really captured the Tick's naivete, heroic urges, and invulnerability quite nicely.

Even better. It's like the voice actor of Brock.

Oh yeah! You know, that's where the VB guys found Patrick. Working on that show.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah I wish there's a new Tick cartoon existed in the same universe of The Venture Bros.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Do we have any reason to believe the original cartoon and/or the comic *doesn't* take place in the Venture Bros universe?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The moon, they would never allow chairface to partly frick it up OSI would saw his head off

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you just reminded me of General Treister
            he is probably the closest VB ever got to The Tick. he's a damn fine fellow, and while he still fails, it's after a lifetime of excellence.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>General Treister
            Way to smart and cunning to be compared to the Tick he's not a leader I mean the Tick was hardly patriotic either he stood for all that was good and America was not known as good in that time CIA really ruined Americas rep when people found out so much shit like arming Iraq knowingly while they gas'd the kurds&iran and while the USSR was heavily helping Iraq all the stuff in South America and South East Asia.

Damn there really is no one like the tick in VB not a single giant goofball hero how odd.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you will never win

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Not in the face! Not in the face!

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

American Maid a cute

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I do love the way The Tick always handles strong woman characters. They're suffering harder from the appearance of needing to seem super tough all the time than any discrimination, and they're all clearly a bit more vulnerable than they let on. Ms. Lint was an amazing character.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The Tick Cartoon is the reason of why OPM exists, and i think One confirmed that due to the japanese dub of the tick and The Mask being iconic.
    Saddest thing is that finding the cartoon with a dub eveywhere else is a pain in the dick.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

hell, it's hard finding the Tick not sped-up for foreign tv hertz or whatever. it's only slight, enough to turn a 24 minute show into 20 minutes, but it pitches up everyone's voice and it feels weird. Townsend's voice going slightly higher becomes surreal.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Speaking of, I fricking loved Townsend's cameo as the talking dog. That character was amazing.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yes. The humor in VB is very Tick style. The Tick was way ahead of its time with its humor

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Tick is basically proto-Venture. Every VB fan should watch it. I honestly like it better, even.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the fricking Terror is the best character in every version

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I love The Tick but could never get into Venture Brothers. The humor is a little too tryhard for my tastes.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

funny, they actually made fun of tryhard humor a few times.. i'm reminded of- well that would be a spoiler, if you ever go back to it again...

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

My personal opinion is that VB season one is a slog but it’s great after that

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Oh without a doubt season 1 is rough its got the magic but they have not found their footing yet.

But yeah venture bros is basically the tick without the tick. I'm suprised they didn't add in a hero called the flea/bedbug who has long and odd monologues about the city for the NYC seasons.
        I want to see the Tick get another animation venture bro crew should do it like srsly who else would you both getting to animate&write the tick I mean other than edlund writing it....

Its just who would fund it.....

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I want to see a fusion between the original cartoon and the Amazon version of the Tick
          I love the cartoon version to bits, but I’m not ready to say goodbye to the Amazon version of Dot Everest, Overkill, Ms. Lint, or Dangerboat. I hope the four of them reappear in the next version of The Tick. Maybe next time Dot will appear to pick up Arthur and Tick from the Comet club and meet Overkill there while he’s desperately trying to exit a conversation with Big Shot

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The people wants more of American Maid

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Me too, but that doesn’t mean we have to erase Overkill or Lint
            Lint herself works great as a new nemesis for American Maid after she leaves the Terror

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Sadly you wont, they can't use anything from the cartoon. Its why they didn't use anyone really from the comic. Even the people they did use like the other tick looked completely different. Which is a shame because I love Die Fledermaus and American Maid

The Tick is so underrated and moronicly influential. Yet its hardly known about AND AND AND the cool thing is the comic right, its still owned by some rando new england or etc indie comic shop&distributor. Its cool how they've been able to earn a buck by reprinting the tick and releasing one shots&minis over the years.

Srsly if any of the anons here have never read anything from The Tick's universe(yes there is more than just the tick there is also MAN EATING COW Paul the samurai and some other things). You should legit start by reading the OG Tick comic and its follow up series or one of the complete collects that adds in a bunch of minis/specials.

The OG comics on readcomicsonline its cool they leave in the shill pages at the end of the comic. Where they are selling LIMITED EDITION VERSIONS FOR ONLY 4.99$ FULL COLOUR ISSUES 5.99$ MIX AND MATCH COLLECTION TICK T SHIRTS 19.99 SIGNED COPIES FIRST PRINTING ISSUE #! NUMBER O N E 49.99$$$$$$
            Or like they have lists of all the issues they have for sale with like first,second,third,forth,fifth and etc printing issues of the comic and the prices are all wonky. Cause it was the fricking 90's and people were omega moronic ISSUE #1 of some spinoff OC doughnut steel garbage HO LEE FRICK!!!!! BUY 20 COPIES ITLL BE WORTH MILLIONS JINGUS CHOORSTTTT THEY HAVE VARIANT COVERS!!!! 1:10/50/100/1000 ISSUES AND THE COMIC IS ALREADY POLYBAGGED SO YOU DONT KNOW WHAT COVER YOU GOT BRO WE NEED TO BUY LIKE DOZENS OF THESE!!

I love seeing this old shit, and its neat to see evvn an indie legit indie not like image or wtv. Even getting in on this stupidity. The tick was black&white for the first couple of series. So seeing LE FULLCOLOUR2STPRINT be 6$ each in 94 is insane.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Like srsly 5.99 in the early 90's was not cheap. Look at the prices of minwag Mcshit coke cigs.

Its also funny as frick seeing them really get in on the speculator market. The Tick was a massive hit , so hey as an artist might as well make as much money as possible right. But still seeing them sell every print run all different price ranges . Or crazy prices of full colour issues. The best is them selling signed&graded issues themselves. This I found fricking hilarious seeing it for the first time. The prices were not that bad I guess. Not many comics were printed in its first run even less for the first issue grading&slabbing a comic costs money and even back then getting a signature even for a small artit was still like 5-20$. So seeing them sell shit at the 50-100$ range its not insane price gouging considering once again the 90's. But the prices are still reallly high and once again as the creators selling off five versions of print runs at different prices. Its hilarious but I bet they sold!!!

Fricking early 90's man. Thank god we got ludo-kino like the tick the maxx sandman hellboy etc. It wasn't all poorly drawn without hands&feet muscle men jacked on roids like those deformed bulls and synthol injections all over their body by the gallon giving them horrific nightmare inducing anatomy. It taught young artists what not to do when drawing.

Looking back on the 90's everyone talks of the cringe speculation greed marvel going full fricking moron claiming bankruptcy.
            That remembering shit like The Tick all the other amazing comics to come out in this second renascence of independent comics. Where artists were not forced into the big two forced to only create capshit. They could do whatever they wanted because the market was at its peak, if you created something good. Thankfully it was totally possible to sell 10-50k+ issues a month and make a living doing the comic by yourself and not 5+ people working on an issue. People forget a lot of good.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Its also funny as frick seeing them really get in on the speculator market. The Tick was a massive hit , so hey as an artist might as well make as much money as possible right. But still seeing them sell every print run all different price ranges . Or crazy prices of full colour issues. The best is them selling signed&graded issues themselves. This I found fricking hilarious seeing it for the first time. The prices were not that bad I guess. Not many comics were printed in its first run even less for the first issue grading&slabbing a comic costs money and even back then getting a signature even for a small artit was still like 5-20$. So seeing them sell shit at the 50-100$ range its not insane price gouging considering once again the 90's. But the prices are still reallly high and once again as the creators selling off five versions of print runs at different prices. Its hilarious but I bet they sold!!!

I think it's partly because New England Comics is chain of comic shops. They used to even have ads in Marvel and DC's comics

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>That remembering shit like The Tick all the other amazing comics to come out in this second renascence of independent comics. Where artists were not forced into the big two forced to only create capshit.
            I think this is why I hold the 90s in much, much fonder regard than a lot of people. I didn't read capes, outside of an issue or two that caught my eye. I mostly focused on indie stuff, and the 90s was great for indies. Even a lot o the manga stuff was cool, and it wasn't oversaturated like now, though the mirror imaging they did back then was kinda lame. It's fun going back and looking at old Wizard issues (a mag that had and caused its own problems, as we all know), and realizing they delved into indie stuff a bit more than I gave them credit for when I read it back in the day.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

we could get back there
            all it would take is a functional economy. all the other influences, both good and bad, can't take root when there are people making money. they just go 'lol sorry can't hear you over the sound of all this money'

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>all it would take is a functional economy
            Ha, get a load of this dreamer. We're all gonna be neo-serfs watching increasingly cynically monetized reboots of reboots with no fun allowed while generations Z, A and B are nostalgic for 6 second brainrot shorts and think we're moronic troglodytes for wanting anything else.
            Orwell was right about the future being awful but he didn't prepare us for how fricking dumb it would be.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he thinks there will be electricity

I still support a couple of old series I read back then. Lady Death is still being put out through Kickstarter. It's not the same as it was, but it's still fun, at least. When so many creators go insane or become politically poisoned by one side or the other, still fun almost seems like the best you can hope for these days.

>he thinks both sides are involved

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

[...]

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I still support a couple of old series I read back then. Lady Death is still being put out through Kickstarter. It's not the same as it was, but it's still fun, at least. When so many creators go insane or become politically poisoned by one side or the other, still fun almost seems like the best you can hope for these days.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Oh cool, I didn't know that you were fan of the tick. And I also thought that you hated
            comics

Oh without a doubt season 1 is rough its got the magic but they have not found their footing yet.

But yeah venture bros is basically the tick without the tick. I'm suprised they didn't add in a hero called the flea/bedbug who has long and odd monologues about the city for the NYC seasons.
            I want to see the Tick get another animation venture bro crew should do it like srsly who else would you both getting to animate&write the tick I mean other than edlund writing it....

Its just who would fund it.....

I love all the show. However, season 1 is the funniest one, but also the one with the least amount of plot
            >find a pen
            >to use it as a wand?
            >no, to use it as a pen

>MECHA SHIVA
            >doc and brock in the hospital
            >literally all the jokes in tag sale

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Tag Sale is the absolute peak of the show's metahumor. I think about it constantly, and quote it when trying to sell people on VB. particularly
            >Fine, you deal with the creepy guys dressed like special creepy guys.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>you know, make him sleep in our genetic filth?
            I love these kind of episodes that aren't about an adventure, but just the characters interacting with each other and a mundane situation. I recently watched the shivering truth, and my favorite episode is the seashell one because of this reason

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

and i love how the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend weren't even into it. The sadness of Doc's life made him not feel worth arching that day.
            Another good one that always sticks with me is the mummy episode, where not only do they jokingly make it a 'part 2 of 3,' but we see just how completely beyond fed up Doc is with all this shit he went through as a kid.
            >GIVE ME THE HAND OF OSIRIS
            >Give me head.
            >You did NOT just say that
            >I absolutely did, what are you gonna do about it?
            >I.. I'm about to kill your sons!
            >Pfft, join the club.
            and then
            >How quickly are the spiked walls moving?
            >Uhh, faster than mad scientist spiked walls, but slower than haunted house spiked walls.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I also liked that one, a very good episode. The pulp like part is good, but doc vs orpheus is also funny
            >you shoot like someone who plays riven
            No, not myst, riven. What a bunch of nerds

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"hot voile"
            >throwing the gun

it's a solid 10/10

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>just the characters interacting with each other and a mundane situation
            Yeah, those tend to be the Doc Hammer ones.
            In the commentary audio they talk about the differences in their style and Doc pokes fun at himself for writing episodes where nothing ever happens, whereas Jackson Publick writes more of the adventure stories.
            The series would be much worse if it was just one or the other in my opinion, the contrast between the two makes it very fun to watch.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>the contrast between the two makes it very fun to watch
            One of the reasons why it is my favorite show

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Tag Sale was also ultimately the plot foundation for most of the rest of the series too, since that was when they came up with the Guild.
            Such a great idea, and they came up with it just so they had a way for a tag sale to happen without everybody killing each other.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>sadly you wont, they can't use anything from the cartoon

Is this one of those stupid lawyer "we licensed you the rights to Batman, but not Alfred or the Bat-mobile" things?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

that's one way of looking at it
            the more optimistic way is "Edlund was smart, and changed all the characters for the cartoon, so he could tell the same basic jokes, but they wouldn't take ownership of his characters" similarly to how The Simpsons was made up on the spot so he wouldn't lose the rights to Life in Hell.
            the part that confuses me is that SOME characters from the comic are allowed to be in every adaptation. the tick, arthur, dot, the terror... one or two others I'm not thinking of. what the hell was the deal exactly, that allowed for that?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Tick, Arthur, Dot, and Terror all originated from the comic, that's probably why

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i feel like you're missing my point
            if the motivation was "everything on the fox show will be owned by fox" then how did he retain the rights to any of them

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The comic predates the Fox cartoon
            Groening's deal probably was one where he didn't read the contract until the last minute (or didn't read his contract, freaked out and THOUGHT he might lose his rights)
            Fox had a Batman cartoon and some Marvel cartoons but that didn't mean they got all the rights to Batman or Marvel

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

anon you're still missing something key here
            why was the fox show allowed to use -any- comic characters, who were then still allowed to be used later
            and why since the cartoon and sitcom were both fox, did they have different rights issues

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I think the issue with VB is that the show is -about- failure. The Tick screws up, but he has to always win, or his silver age heroic mindset would be... the not-fun kind of insanity. instead of the fun kind.
          It's not a vindictive story about hating successful people, so they really can't have any in the setting.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I think the issue with VB is that the show is -about- failure.
            Eh they said this pretty early on in the show's run and later on they felt like the show had grown beyond that and disliked people pigeon-holing it.
            It's certainly not vindictive against successful people, and I don't know why you'd think that. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch ends up extremely successful and the show clearly expects you to root for her.

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>the flag five JUST reformed
    >superian's origin was JUST about to be told
    >warburton could've been Barry
    >maybe even wacky uncle b plots with those adorable lobster kids and based Flexon
    Now instead we get to watch Dot putz around with lifeless idiots in one of the worst comic to TV adaptations I've ever seen in my flipping life. Life just ain't fair sometimes.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>tfw we will never get an Adaptation of Chairface Chippendale or the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight
      >we will never see foreshadowing in the form of a guy dressed like Tyler Durden in the background who is eventually revealed to be The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Pic related oh goodness gracious me.

Sadly you wont, they can't use anything from the cartoon. Its why they didn't use anyone really from the comic. Even the people they did use like the other tick looked completely different. Which is a shame because I love Die Fledermaus and American Maid

The Tick is so underrated and moronicly influential. Yet its hardly known about AND AND AND the cool thing is the comic right, its still owned by some rando new england or etc indie comic shop&distributor. Its cool how they've been able to earn a buck by reprinting the tick and releasing one shots&minis over the years.

Srsly if any of the anons here have never read anything from The Tick's universe(yes there is more than just the tick there is also MAN EATING COW Paul the samurai and some other things). You should legit start by reading the OG Tick comic and its follow up series or one of the complete collects that adds in a bunch of minis/specials.

The OG comics on readcomicsonline its cool they leave in the shill pages at the end of the comic. Where they are selling LIMITED EDITION VERSIONS FOR ONLY 4.99$ FULL COLOUR ISSUES 5.99$ MIX AND MATCH COLLECTION TICK T SHIRTS 19.99 SIGNED COPIES FIRST PRINTING ISSUE #! NUMBER O N E 49.99$$$$$$
        Or like they have lists of all the issues they have for sale with like first,second,third,forth,fifth and etc printing issues of the comic and the prices are all wonky. Cause it was the fricking 90's and people were omega moronic ISSUE #1 of some spinoff OC doughnut steel garbage HO LEE FRICK!!!!! BUY 20 COPIES ITLL BE WORTH MILLIONS JINGUS CHOORSTTTT THEY HAVE VARIANT COVERS!!!! 1:10/50/100/1000 ISSUES AND THE COMIC IS ALREADY POLYBAGGED SO YOU DONT KNOW WHAT COVER YOU GOT BRO WE NEED TO BUY LIKE DOZENS OF THESE!!

I love seeing this old shit, and its neat to see evvn an indie legit indie not like image or wtv. Even getting in on this stupidity. The tick was black&white for the first couple of series. So seeing LE FULLCOLOUR2STPRINT be 6$ each in 94 is insane.

I love your energy anon, keep the peace.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>warburton could've been Barry
      holy shit is that your idea or did they actually suggest that. because i know he worked on the show.
      >comic adaptation
      eh? what's she in

>tfw we will never get an Adaptation of Chairface Chippendale or the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight
      >we will never see foreshadowing in the form of a guy dressed like Tyler Durden in the background who is eventually revealed to be The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight

I find it hard to imagine they could get chairface to work in live action. it looked like they were building to something else.

Well you never know. sometimes a company buys up all the previous versions and so they can use all of it. Imagine getting to have Batmanuel back

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If anything, just give me a The Tick and One Punch Man Collab
    With Arthur and Genos having to deal with the fact that their heroes are morons, and the comedy of the cartoon, amazon and manga/anime.

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The Tick was created in the 80's its first few issues over the span of like 4 years. Till the 90's then it picked releasing a bunch of comics/spinoffs.
    They got lucky as frick in the early 90's. Someone at fox thought it was hilarous a super hero in the real world. The comic starts with him in a straight jacked in a padded room with one of his heroic monologues he breaks out BECAUSE THE CITY NEEDS HIM SHES RIDDLED WITH CRIME AND CRIES OUT TO HIM IN HIS CELL.
    Boom we get the cartoon in 94, for whatever moronic reason fox ends it 2 years later in 96 with 3 seasons and 36 episodes. Which cant be sold/syndicated or wtv. Kids loved the show, god knows what they were smoking. It was foxkids best show that was not marvelslop.

Ben Edlund was getting gigs in holywood, Fox wanted to try The Tick again but as a live action sitcom. So we got it in 2000 it aired for a single sad as frick prime time HALF season at 9 episodes. Fox was trying out all sorts of shit for kids&teens now as adults. Even vampire of the masquerade got a TV show Ishityounot fox used to be based trying new things no one else would

After being frozen for 16 years bunch of fail projects to come to fruition. Jeff LORD OF THE RANGZ WAN BILLION *dr evil laugh* DOLLARS flushdownthetoilet Bozo Lord of Amazon. Decides to buy the rights for a Tick amazom prime show. It does ok.... lasting for 3 seasons. But clearly WANBILLIONDOLLARS wasted on LORD OF THE RANGZ NIGGUH WE WUZ THE KANGZ NIGGUH. And other shows that cost way way less to make, were no where near as important for viewership&sales to amazon. So sadly The Tick was shitcanned just as it was finally picking up steam

2024 the twenties.
    Every decade has The Tick* will the stars align. Adult animation shows like startrek lower decks Harley Quinn(which is basically venfure bros which is basically The Tick) reddit and memey
    etc being popular.

Will we get a Tick cartoon that the series deserves(finally) by the end of the decade?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

take one third of your meds. you've got a solid mind in there.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This is a really nice thread 🙂

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'm really grateful for an actual Tick thread, I'm always recommending it in VB threads and feel like nobody notices

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

my mom still loves the tick
        she said she would freak out the normies a bit by jogging and by people and shouting SPOON!

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Based mom

Does Ben Edlund still put out new issues, or is it just reprints?

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They should have Tick in one of those fighting games like mortal kombat or injustice 2 like they did with HellBoy

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

he'd wipe the floor with everyone!
      holy shit they put hellboy in there? man, it's annoying how fighting games get ALL the cool cameo stuff now, but they aren't good like they used to be.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

MK has always had cool DLC I mean frick they even got spawn and hired his animation VA. His lines were sick the few that he had.
        When you face off with the joker its how you would imagine.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

only past the 2d era, the only time it was ever good.
          not that it would have made a lot of sense to add third party characters via digitization. I just wish they'd kept the controls like they were back then. I mean it was far from perfect, but it was a lot better than 4. and i haven't played any since 4, but they all look bad for the same reason. Too much animation-porn, instead of getting to the meat, the impact, as quickly as possible.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Fighting games in 3D just feel so wonky and off if its two homies facing and fighting each other. But nowhere near as bad as 4 holy shit that game is terrible they literally had to add in a meter so you could not combo stun lock kill forcing a break after like 40% damage.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I liked Hiryu no Ken / "Flying Dragon" for the N64 a lot. a lot a lot. the attacks felt naturally chained together, you hit back-kick again and he doesn't just do the same kick animation, it loops. he continues to spin from where he was after the previous one. The 'counter' is typically back plus whatever button the opponent is hitting, you don't have to think hard about it. The special moves are just 'hit a C button when the meter is high enough' or real simple hadouken kinda shit. AND YET they also put in crazy hidden moves of like 20 button presses in a row, in case you are that insane (and some, people still don't know how to do them)

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If Tick comes back as a cartoon id like to see them use Oedipus , Ninja World, Man Eating Cow, Chainsaw Vigilante and Clark Oppenheimer

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

They would have to unless fox was involved somehow. Shit you know FX could pick up the Tick now that archer is gone.

that's one way of looking at it
      the more optimistic way is "Edlund was smart, and changed all the characters for the cartoon, so he could tell the same basic jokes, but they wouldn't take ownership of his characters" similarly to how The Simpsons was made up on the spot so he wouldn't lose the rights to Life in Hell.
      the part that confuses me is that SOME characters from the comic are allowed to be in every adaptation. the tick, arthur, dot, the terror... one or two others I'm not thinking of. what the hell was the deal exactly, that allowed for that?

Maybe he reg'd the rights to a few people or an agreement on fox owning everything minus these few things from the comic. Hell maybe fox didnt want anything from the comic was it was too adult.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

perhapso lapso. but then each new iteration kept doing that. I was kinda surprised the amazon one eschewed the 'cowardly not-batman' archetype, and split the american maid / captain liberty analog between dot and one of the villains. And then they took the one-note "not-punisher, who really needs counseling" gag and made him an actually deep character with a plot.. who is still funny. God that was a good show. It could still come back! it won't, but it could.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Sorry anon they needed more money for lord of da rangz The tick had to die, lord of da rangz: we wuz the kangz. Was clearly was going to turn the world by storm. I srsly hope wtv shit I heard about the insane budget was just hear say. Like do people even care for amazon shows? I wish they fricking posted real numbers about their shows, instead of lying to even their investors.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

jesus it's easy to identify your posts. I wanted to ask you if you have the vb artbook. That thing is awesome. The only problem is that it only covers the first 6 seasons, and i don't want to buy a deluxe edition that may come out

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

https://exhentai.org/g/1921131/0474e7061e/
            >Go Team Venture! - The Art and Making of the Venture Bros

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

god bless the pand. gonna read this later.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Its full of western art books not just anime artbooks dude always check panda

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i am loving this, but holy density. whatever this book cost, it was worth it.. they did not go light on it.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I think it was like $60 retail. It's probably the only time i bought something that later ballooned in price because usually I'm on the other end of it

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

it would be nice if we could get forced transparency. But the government is only interested in punishing business, not helping customers.

23. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I just started watching it now because of your thread. I think I could say it seems to share the line of parodying superhero stuff, but overall in tone I wouldn't call it super similar. Venture feels a bit more mature, this one feels a lot sillier and more like it's just having fun with itself. I do think you'd like it though, I'm enjoying it and I watch the whole series of VB.

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You know what single thing amazes me most about the venture bros and their writing
    it's not the continuity, it's not the incredible puns
    it's the fact that they actually recorded scratch tracks for H. Jon Benjamin as "The Master" knowing that he was busy with other shows and wouldn't be able to record on time before they needed to get the animation started. and they managed to perfectly write, down to the cadence of the lip flaps, exactly how Jon would do it. His precise mannerisms. A guy known for his improvisation, still delivering lines that sound improvised, but they wrote it in advance like they had a frickin turban on and put the script to their foreheads.

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

mustache

26. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The Tick is very S1-S2 Venture Bros

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

not in the face! not in the face!

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>in the Amazon show his face is the only part of Arthur that isn’t protected
      I love the Tick

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Venture Bros did homage the Tick when we first met Dr. Orpheus, and Rusty's like "hey if I tilt this candlestick, will it-" "get wax all over my carpet? yes."
    It's not quite Tick ripping Arthur's coat-hook off the wall, but the inspiration was clearly there. They learned a lot working on that show.

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Where could i watch those two shows by the way?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

kisscartoon

30. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>you will never come home after a day of patrolling The City to hang out with the Tick and a bunch of cute lobster babies that have been hanging out in your bath tub.
    Why live?

31. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In the art book, they said they used some ideas they didn't get to put in The Tick for Venture Bros.

32. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Does it share some of the appeal of Venture Bros?
    No, but Tick is pretty fun in it's own right.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

SOME of. it has the same "incredible superhero name puns you can't believe you never thought of" gags

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I feel like in The Tick all the humour around superheroes was an affectionate parody while in the Venture Bros it was used to drive the theme of failure. I mean, the not-Punisher running out of bullets because he made a skull sculpture out of a wall earlier was a joke about how hardass 90s gun heroes were. On the other hand Brown Widow being not-Spiderman but being damned to be a second rate Spiderman was depressing.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I think it's less themes of failure and more it's funny when they frick up because they're so obsessed with their gimmick or their gimmick is that they kind of suck

33. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Did any of you get yourself a Tick?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yeah it was gross, i think the head is still in there

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this guy doesn't remember the summer of ticks '96

34. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bump for more Tick, but not that good kind of Tick.

35. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Imagine The Tick meets the Crusaders Action League.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

why did you stick 'crusaders' in front of action league

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous
  36. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why do people loves this kind of genre?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it's positively dripping with cleverness. it's like hearing a really good dad joke that lasts 36 episodes.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Boomers like me grew up being expected to take superhero and kiddie pulp shit at face value. Stuff like this acknowledged it was silly and made it fun again.

37. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What so good about them?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *