Vertical Spoilers

Why aren't vertical spoilers a thing?

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because spoilers on street cars are just trying to look like race cars, and spoilers on race cars are there to produce downforce. A "vertical spoiler" doesn't do that, so no one makes something so moronic.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They produce sideforce though, which can improve cornering.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Kids today can barely drive in a straight line with all their driving aides, don't encourage them to take a turn at speed with their ghetto-rigged v-spois.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Black person if you're sliding around a corner sideways at 100mph you have bigger problems

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Black person if you're sliding around a corner sideways at 100mph you have bigger problems
          I just trying to keep things interesting, you can't write me off like that. You're just a voice pal. You don't know a damn thing about racing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>you can't write me off like that.
            NTP, but I can if you offer "vertical spoilers" as a serious option

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I got you:

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>spoilers on street cars are just trying to look like race cars
      they also produce downforce

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

have you seen a spoiler? there are verticle surfaces to force air flow over the spoiler.

rear diffusers also use strakes to straighten and direct air also.

the ones you posted is more negative effect than positive.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

One of the functions of a rear spoiler is to disrupt turbulent air in order to reduce drag. With a vertical spoiler you'll still be reducing turbulent air in a direction perpendicular to travel. In ideal circumstances airflow is in the direction of travel, your car is traveling in a hypothetical wind-tunnel. The reality is far from lab conditions and air flow is angular to direction of travel and turbulence is the norm.

Now stay with me here...

If were to attach a series of vertical spoilers/stakes/vortex generators to the front of the car you would disrupt angular/turbulent air across the body and produce a more laminar flow in keeping with the vehicles direction of travel. This could increase the efficiency of your cars aerodynamics across the rest of the body further reducing its drag coefficient.

We see them on aircraft wings so why don't we apply the same principle to a vehicle?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

cause homosexualry safety standards.

if you hit a bus rider, they need to be protected from the real world.

sharp front ends are no longer a thing cause you need explosive hood air bags for an example.

there is no way a car manufacturer can get away with literal spikes and knives on the front of the car where a bus rider can contact.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>there is no way a car manufacturer can get away with literal spikes and knives on the front of the car where a bus rider can contact.
          You'd be surprised what you can get away with in the UK.

You must have a working light for your rear-license plate, but nowhere in MOT guidelines does it say that light must shine on your rear-license-plate. You can literally fix the light to the roof of your car facing and as long as it's hardwired you're good to go. It's a similar thing with indicators, they don't have to be on the 'correct' side of the car, if your left indicator is on the right and your right indicator is on the left, you pass... (MOT guidelines do state that all lights must be fixed devices and not (re-)moveable (and with working bulbs)).

You do not need a windshield in your car! As long as your goggles/glasses have the proper safety rating you're good to go. You must be wearing your googles/glasses when you drive and you do have to produce them when you produce your car for inspection MOT.

Here's the kicker, your vehicle must not have sharp/pointed objects that protrude PAST the body of the car. Now the technicality is in the word PAST, if you have a paper thin bumper you're good to go.and behind it is a series of nails facing outwards you're legal.

>literal spikes and knives on the front of the car where a bus rider can contact.
          Are legal in the UK as long as they are covered by 'bodywork'.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because its White Privilage.
        With Love,
        TooZ.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

but they are.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Good to know my theory is sound.

So I suppose the next question is why don't we see these on commercially available vehicles?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you are not allowed to be a speeds where they would be useful

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because commercial vehicles follow a completely different set of regulations than purpose built race cars

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

they're meant for stability at incredibly high speeds on long straights. your average street car doesn't usually travel at 350km/h while passing dozens of slower moving cars, so it's not useful there.

those dont do anything theyre just billboards

no they aren't you absolute buffoon

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

those dont do anything theyre just billboards

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>those dont do anything theyre just billboards
        Either you're dumb or Ferrari forgot to get a sponsor

[...]

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Ferrari forgot to get a sponsor
          Considering marketing is pretty much the only thing Ferrari has known how to do in the past ~20 years, I'm going to wager that anon is dumb.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Vertical ones on road cars would not be considered pedestrian safe. Front numberplates on motorcycles were removed because having a piece of sheet steel injected into you was considered a bad thing.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *