Was Toyota always "expensive"?

I swear I remember 15 years ago Toyota offered basically the cheapest and more reliable car in every segment. They were bare bones appliance vehicles that simply worked with little to no frills.

These days it seems like they offer a similar product relative to the competition (Hondas are nice now, who would have guessed?), but they're pretty expensive. It's like they've realized they have this loyal consumer base and now charge you for the "reliability", while still making pretty bare bones cars.

Is my recollection incorrect? Has Toyota always prices their vehicles this way?

I've just been poking my head in every now and then for the last several years and here in Canada:

RAV4 AWD starts a $36,215 / Forester $34,674

Corolla Cross AWD $32,115 / Crosstrek $31,674

Highlander AWD $49,855 / Ascent $44,674

4Runner $56,455 (on a 20 year old drivetrain)

Tacoma $50,015 / Ranger $44,065 / Colorado $38,433

I just chose Subaru because they have some comfortable models and are also Japanese.

Why does Subaru offer very similar vehicles, with actual AWD drivetrains for less? Subaru is a much smaller company than Toyota as well. Toyota has economies of scale on their side, yet they don't offer a single vehicle that undersells a comfortable Subaru model.

Hell, the 4Runner is (at least the model that's being sold right now) is old as hell and they still have $56,000. I understand that it's the only vehicle in its segment (solid roof midsize 4x4 offroad capable BoF SUV) but still.

Hell, the Tacoma is far and away the most expensive midsize truck. Hell, the F150 starts at $46,600.

I don't understand Toyota anymore. It's almost like Subaru is now what Toyota used to be, but they only offer AWD vehicles, which the exception of the Toyota collaboration on the GT86/BRZ.

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

cars only got expensive after then pandemic

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Being a $1000 more expensive than the shitbaru isn't that big a deal. Also Tacoma starts at $31k MSRP, not $50k lol.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>here in Canada

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

You got issue being in canada not the toyota prices since they start at 31k in states.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Toyota and everyone else had to go a bit upmarket because of Hyundai, more or less following Mazda. Scamdemic didn't help

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Does Hyundai really compete against Toyota? I know the Palisade hits above MSRP, but does the rest of their product line really compete? Have the Koreans ironed out their engine, electrical and QC issues?

• 1 month ago
        READ ME

Yes, they can generally make it to 8 years/100k miles - at which point they are traded in. That's the golden number. 6-10 years is the average length of a car's ownership.
        After that - deep into 20 years/200k miles that's Toyota's turf. Not even Honda goes there.
        But no one owns a vehicle for 20 years.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>But no one owns a vehicle for 20 years.
          Literally me.

• 1 month ago
            READ ME

Nice.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

How can you control your ADHD that long?

Most "humans" are literal babbies who instantly want a new shiny thing as soon as they own prior shiny thing. Buy new car/iPhone/laptop/clothes every 6 months

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

NTA -- This is why I want a brand new Toyota. I want to keep it for 20 years and allow my kids to have something as a project truck. That will give us a project to keep alive as my wife and I look for our next car that will take us to our end of life. I'm tired of driving beater cars. Problem is what Toyota has done, made the new vehicles look cool but took away the performance and reliability. Shit is maddening.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

My grandmother was the person to whom I was the closest and she passed away awhile ago, and I have memories of driving her around in my car. I also hate all the touch screen and plastic bullshit in new cars, so that helps too.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Most "humans" are literal babbies who instantly want a new shiny thing as soon as they own prior shiny thing.
            I squeeze every last bit of every car I use. This means it will get beat up and I accept it's probably going to look terrible at the end, but it will be mechanically sound either way.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>After that - deep into 20 years/200k miles that's Toyota's turf. Not even Honda goes there.
          Nonsense.
          Other than Hyundai, which manufacturer DOESN'T have a few cars that regularly hit 200k miles? Everyone (but Hyundai) made improvements so their cars last like a 1990's Toyota.
          And what the frick happened to pickups? The mileage on those is insane when compared to older models.
          Most vehicles seem to last, 300k miles isn't awe inspiring any more. Unless it's a Hyundai.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Other than Hyundai, which manufacturer DOESN'T have a few cars that regularly hit 200k miles?
            Chevrolet, GM, Ford, Fiat, Chrysler

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Other than Hyundai
            Genesis 5.0. The Tau V8 is basically the Korean version of the Ford modular 4.6L. It's got big main bearings and is conservatively designed. Also has big timing chains.

Most people don't know that Hyundai/Kia had a V8 in the first place but it is Land Cruiser reliable if you can find a MPi variant, which in the US would be the Kia Borrego, which is also rare in North America.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

lmao give me a break

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Every major manufacturer has a golden goose they killed, but I do stand on that point. The weirdos that look for Kia Borregos look for the 4.6L V8 with 4x4, and they'll snap them up on the spot even around the 200k-250k mile mark. They're never seen ever again after that because the buyer won't let them go.

Another interesting thing with the Borrego is that it can be transformed into an absolute Frankenstein of a vehicle. If the transmission blows up, which is rare, the transmission is available on a wide variety of vehicles to salvage. Aftermarket 4Runner suspensions bolt right on. Again, only the weirdos and autists that build out vehicles look for this SUV. Everyone else gets a 4Runner and lives with the cramped interior room, or shells out for a Land Cruiser or a GX/LX. Honestly, the Toyota and Lexus are better picks. The aftermarket and parts support are way better overall.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>but I do stand on that point
            If you want to do less standing, make sure to only leave about a gallon of gas in your Hyundai. It is easier, faster, and cheaper to steal another Hyundai than it is for the thief to fill your tank. Your car will be recovered in days instead of weeks.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Cars rarely get to 200k without rod knock or a failed transmission, or a 5k repair bill that totals it. Takes it off the road.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Cars rarely get to 200k without rod knock or a failed transmission, or a 5k repair bill that totals it. Takes it off the road.
            Since I have no rod knock, it means my 20 year old transmission failed quite some time ago. How does it keep going forward? Please advise.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>After that - deep into 20 years/200k miles that's Toyota's turf. Not even Honda goes there.
          I'm about to go there in a Mazda. Just do the 5k oil changes and the horror will end.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>But no one owns a vehicle for 20 years
          I WAS TRYING TO UNTIL THAT STUPID b***h FRICKING TOTALLED IT FRICK YOU

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

🙁

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

rip anons car

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I have an 8 year old Hyundai, it's literally falling apart at the seams despite getting regular maintenance and having low miles for its age. I would NEVER buy one again. I'm currently looking at trading it in, because it's turning into a money-pit.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Toyota had cheap cars with manuals, letting Black folk drive is what killed that choice for Americans.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You can thank yankmutts for that

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Cars that used to come in manual
    >camry
    >maxima
    >es300
    >sonata
    >taurus

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a Prius. Hell, get a Corolla.
    >just dont rice it

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Get a Prius.
      Unobtainium. The new ones are actually garnering up a lot of demand because they don't look dorky.
      >Hell, get a Corolla.
      The Corolla Hybrid can be purchased off the lot.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>on a 20 year old drivetrain
    dumb as frick npc wrenchlet

8. 1 month ago
    READ ME

I HAVE THE ANSWER.
    It's because Toyota packs so much driver assistance tech at the base trim.
    If you option out radar adaptive cruise control in a f150, you are looking at a $70k truck. It's in the Tundra SR for 40k.
    Same thing with new Tacoma vs Frontier - Tacoma does full speed adaptive cruise control, Frontier doesn't.
    Corolla, same thing. You option out an Elantra full speed RCC, you match the Corolla.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Nobody wants to pay for that shit. Why do manufacturers insist on putting that dumb shit in their cars? Oh, probably because the profit margins are high.

You got issue being in canada not the toyota prices since they start at 31k in states.

It's the same amount. Currency conversion.

Literally me.

Based

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

CLASSIC TOYOTA CHADS WIN AGAIN

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Toyota has a bunch of nanny tech and safety tech which increases price, then Toyota tax is added since Toyota is still the only car manufacturer that has a system in place were someone on the factory line can stop the entire process if anything blatantly is wrong. Toyota's are also desirable since they make their cars with the absolute moron that doesn't get an oil change in mind

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my parents bought a 94 v6 camry wagon for about 37k aud in 1995 or so, which is about 76,500 aud now, or almost 50k usd.
    everything in aus is moronicly expensive though. im sure the US got it for at least 15k cheaper

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They were not the cheapest.

Relative in the mid pack. Toyota has been known to be reliable for a long time.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>DA doesn't understand inflation thread #894759375

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Everything is way too fricking expensive. Knock off $15k from any new vehicle and it'd still be too much for the average person to reasonably afford.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *