What are some signs that someone should *not* be a mechanic

'Im having doubts to become a technician. I have gone to a community trade school for a year with barely any hands on, most of it was text book work and theory.

>Worked at a parts counter and service writer for a stealership.

>(interned/free labored) at a mom and pop shop pretty much cleaning the floors and passing tools around.

and i still have not gotten my hands dirty.

Should i just give up or find another trade.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Just go work at jiffy lube for a few months, you will get every sign you need to go do literally anything else.
    >b-but lube techs aren't the same thing as a REAL mechanic
    Yeah whatever go get some wrench turning time and do belt jobs and brakes all day.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

that's like saying go be a walmart greeter if you want to work in retail

https://i.imgur.com/iHnm8U1.jpg

'Im having doubts to become a technician. I have gone to a community trade school for a year with barely any hands on, most of it was text book work and theory.

>Worked at a parts counter and service writer for a stealership.

>(interned/free labored) at a mom and pop shop pretty much cleaning the floors and passing tools around.

and i still have not gotten my hands dirty.

Should i just give up or find another trade.

look up independent mechanics in your area and ask if they want an apprentice to train, don't do dealerships or big chain franchises they'll grind you down.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>don't do dealerships or big chain franchises they'll grind you down.

From what I've heard its the opposite you want a big corporation to take you in compared to working for an independent shop.

• 1 month ago
          Bepis

Not sure how it is in the mechanic world, but just in my general life, I’ve worked a couple jobs at big corporations, a couple jobs at small corporations, and there’s pros and cons for each.

The smaller family owned places, there’s more upside and more downsides, the corporations, everything is more in the middle. Like at a small family joint, you can get 100hrs/wk and make bank when they’re busy, but if they hit a slow season, you might be cut back to 25hrs a week and they can’t afford for you to stand around to hit 40. At the big corporation, maybe you get 50hrs when it’s super busy but they don’t want to pay more OT than that, and when it’s slow, maybe you get knocked back down to 35hrs but still closer to a real paycheck.

Biggest upside to a smaller independent joint is that you can often move up really fast if you prove yourself to the boss. At a big corporation, the bosses who are in charge of promotions probably won’t even know your name unless you’re a total brown nose, and they have stupid rules like “that’s an L09 position and you’re an L05, so even though you’re qualified for L09, you need to spend 2 years at L07 before getting the L09 job” and you will often have people with zero experience and a degree jump over you and run the place like hell.

But if the owner of the independent place gets caught cheating on his wife and a divorce ensues where the business gets sold, you’re out of a job.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>has been around multiple opportunities to wrench and didn't take any
    I'm sorry to say, OP, but you're an ambitionless gay

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How the frick do you even manage to get training in that and not get a real job? If anything it's a sign you will not be anything, not even a wrench monkey if you don't change your attitude.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The sign for me was having to use your personal money to buy tools to do your job.
    They don't make surgeons buy their own scalpels.
    I guess it's cool to build your collection, but the Snap off truck is like a mobile liquor truck parking itself a block down from construction to take the paychecks as soon as they're made.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>They don't make surgeons buy their own scalpels.
      It's because surgeons are not working class, and everyone wants to frick the working class

ANYWAY, the take away is, just be open to training, don't hesitate to ask a question, show up on time, and work efficiently and you'll be fine. Oh, and get into flat rate as soon as you can.

Every time I ask a question I get yelled at, made to feel stupid, or get a sigh. When I'm not sure and don't ask I get a WHY DIDNT YA ASK????

[...]
      i'm the adhd kid rip

Unfortunately so am I and very clearly my mentor doesn't believe it's real

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Every time I ask a question I get yelled at, made to feel stupid, or get a sigh. When I'm not sure and don't ask I get a WHY DIDNT YA ASK????
        i pointed this out and thankfully the guys doing this realised the hypocrisy and that i was asking them so they dont have to unfrick my shit constantly

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It takes many years to OJT and that misses a lot of what formal training covers. Working as a retail public-facing mechanic sucks.

Being a mechanic in other ways can be large fun as it was and is for me but the wise put career stability and BENEFITS first. If burger join Air Force and wrench aircraft. You can play with cars in your spare time and the higher up the technical food chain you wrench the better your life. Other options include Merchant Marine, mechatronics, millwright etc. Take formal training to begin those. If burger community college is nearly free (and they hire from within so you may like my bro score a very comfy job immediately.

If you don't methodically put getting a solid career first that's foolish because your working life is so short. It just doesn't seem like that when you're young. Wrenching autos is fine done for yourself so I do, but wrenching them for other is only worthwhile if you have a serious plan to not be a line mechanic in ten or fifteen years.

Many cool careers begin there but don't be like the lazy homosexuals who never move up for example selling used cars (as a mechanic you can buy at Copart etc then sell what you fix while keeping donor hulls in your business stash (do NOT call it a salvage or sell parts to the public, do trade them with other professionals.

If you like metalworking becoming an automotive machinist is sweet since businesses bring you the work. The investment required isn't huge since you don't need new machinery, just good machinery that works to the required tolerance. Starting as a mechanic is typical.

That's yet another reason not to work at the bottom. Auto mechanics have to troubleshoot mechanical, electric, hydraulic, HVAC and computer systems while making peanuts for years. Quite doable but after being there and doing that I passed on cars as a career though I've done short term and side jobs in retirement for toy money.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

yeah i found out after two weeks at a local garage that i hated wrenching as a 9-5, but didn't mind it at all on my own cars. now ive got a cushy desk job that's relatively low stress and lets me parts surf when it's quiet as well as hunt for info on forums for my next projects

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You could ignore this advice or take it from me switch to diesel ,machinery or heavy equipment.
    >no flat rate
    >starting pay for entry level is $19 or $21
    >if you fin

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Just do something else, The ppl around you clearly see you as someone who cannot wrench, Nothing wrong with that sometimes things dont fit.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Unless you're an absolute stud, all jobs will suck to some extent. I recommend finding a job that doesn't destroy your body. No mechanic job will pay to compensate the suffering that a life of horrible back pain will give you.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>everyone here saying don't get a wrenching job
    >basically all I want to do
    goncerned ...

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Don’t do it on automotive.

If you want to do something mechanical, try to get into the union for the electricians, plumbers, or HVAC guys. Otherwise do specialized mechanic stuff… aviation, diesel, or off-road diese and heavy machinery. All those jobs are in high demand and you won’t be making .less than a Starbuck’s barista after tool trucks garnish your wages like lots of automotive mechanics.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/NCn5yDI.png

>everyone here saying don't get a wrenching job
        >basically all I want to do
        goncerned ...

UNION UNION UNION GET INTO A FRICKING UNION
        T. Too late for me

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

how to into union?
          t. morongay

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Wrenching becomes extremely unfun very fast when you are forced to do it all day surrounded by idiots from 8 to 6

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

get a real job and wrench as a hobby
      that's why project cars exist

• 1 month ago
        Bepis

Get a shitbox and wrench on it???

A real job will allow you to buy a house with a garage and some tools faster than working at the Jiffy Bois as well. Any other trade with real unions at the minimum.

Bonus points for gittin gud and being able to make some side money helping out friends and family with their cars, and they’re stoked that the Toyota dealer’s service writer didn’t sodomize them.

I just made $150 for like a 20min job, about to go HAM on an XL pizza from the good pizza joint and then probably order myself another specialty tool to make life easier in the future.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

What's your job again?

• 1 month ago
            Bepis

Delivery boy and part time shitposter

If I had to do it all again, I would’ve tried to get into the IBEW or Pipefitter’s Union at like 21 years old. Or maybe smoked less pot and finish the ME degree from a Top 5 ME program.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Parts delivery?

• 1 month ago
            Bepis

Close enough

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Adult education is fun and not like going back to high school. I took welding and machining for pleasure to make and mod motorcycle parts but our grads who were any good did well and came back with pay stubs to prove it. The pipe welders made the most bank.

We took students off the proverbial block and had the motivated ones passing 6G pipe welding tests in 19 weeks (4 days week welding wide open after one day of safety and one torch cutting and general shit). The degree programs at CC are funded by lottery and Pell grants, automotive included.

The car side of the house had no trouble getting the good noobs hired and in all fields had businesses calling instructors begging for someone reliable who could pass a piss test and read.

Motorcycle and powersports (bikes are fading but bike dealers sell quads which are in steady strong demand) wrenching is much easier than cars though quads are like small autos. Trouble with that is the career funnel doesn't have much growth room unless you open your own shop which unless you already have outside income is brutal to make profitable.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

As someone who hires techs, let me give you insight from the last 6 months.

>Hire first guy, never met him but my boss hires him because he's "qualified"
    >Shows up to work first day (and about every other day beyond that) 30 minutes late, 450 lbs, very immobile, but trainable
    >About week 2, show him how to use a torque wrench, tell him to torque an axle nut to 20 in-lbs
    >He wrenches that fricker down and says he "can't feel the click"
    >The torque wrench click is very obvious, he torqued it to approx 120 FT-lbs before getting me
    >"Well, I thought since it was such a a big nut, it needed a lot of torque"
    >Week three, he's getting up off of his knees and leans on a trim piece and busts it off with his collosal weight
    >Fricking hell, whatever, shit happens
    >Week 4, he calls in sick 5 days in a row and is terminated in his probationary period

>Week after fatso is hired, hire young kid (24 ish) with very obvious ADHD
    >Less trainable than fatso, but very eager, nice kid
    >Misses a step in virtually everything he does
    >Training is EXTREMELY slow, can't handle variables in instructions
    >Delegate him to light duty work, still working for me, but don't see him climbing any corporate ladders
    >Can't trust him to work independently or without extremely explicit instructions

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Cont.

>3 weeks after ADHD is hired, my boss hires another guy I haven't met
      >Black guy (rare in my parts), 6'6" 280 lbs, all muscle, all tattoos, seems like an awesome dude to have a beer with
      >Kinda hung ho, awesome background of underwater welding and boat hull repair
      >First few weeks, he's doing alright, trainable but a bit slow
      >Like 2 weeks in, he's doing great
      >Then we have a couple of priority repairs, and extra hours with complicated jobs
      >He freaks out and says the stress is too much, walks out, and comes back like 30 minutes later apologizing saying he can't handle that level of stress
      >Delegate him to mostly wiring harness repairs, stuff he can do on the bench at his own pace
      >Still can't read the guy; suspect previous trauma

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Cont. Pt 2, last part

>About 2 months ago, hire 2 (literal) engineers, both mechanical, got tech position
        >One male, one female, both of their first names start with "K" and they're frequently together, so I call them"Kit-Kat."
        >They hit the ground running, do awesome work, but lack real world experience
        >Extremely trainable; you tell them the job, and they'll get it done, just not always in the most efficient manner
        >Both are definitely on the spectrum; Kat (the girl) is always drawing the weirdest and extremely realistic dinosaur sketches I've ever seen; Kit (the guy) might have a speech impediment, always speaking in odd sentence structure that doesn't always make sense, and looks kinda like Shaggy from Scooby doo
        >About a month ago they started hooking up, then broke it off a few weeks later, but still in good standing
        >I can only imagine that was the most awkward sex on planet earth

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

ANYWAY, the take away is, just be open to training, don't hesitate to ask a question, show up on time, and work efficiently and you'll be fine. Oh, and get into flat rate as soon as you can.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

not him, but can you share more about this tech position? is this a lube job? big company? do you guys expect complete idiots to apply?

engineering student interested in working part time as a tech. a summer job sort of thing. want to know my chances at getting something like this.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Encourage KitKat to create a child, the supreme DAtist.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i can just imagine the kid discovering this board and then posting extremely detailed autistic build threads, or seems to have the answer to seemingly every extremely obscure problem anons have

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Encourage KitKat to create a child, the supreme DAtist.

The Kwis/o/tz Haderach
            The Nissan Al Gaib

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i can just imagine the kid discovering this board and then posting extremely detailed autistic build threads, or seems to have the answer to seemingly every extremely obscure problem anons have

I'll see what I can do, but based on the fact I don't particularly envision going to any social outings with Kit-Kat, I can't make any promises.

not him, but can you share more about this tech position? is this a lube job? big company? do you guys expect complete idiots to apply?

engineering student interested in working part time as a tech. a summer job sort of thing. want to know my chances at getting something like this.

It's kind of hard to explain without giving out explicit details. It's a specialty field, working in high-value vehicles, some research-and-development work, but mostly general maintenance and support. Medium sized company, ~300 employees across two locations. In short, we're slammed with work, and after a bit of falling out mid-late of last year after the regular techs working five 12-13 hour days for months on end, management saw reason and decided to hire a graveyard shift (4-12's, 7-pm to 7am, mon-thrus) to do minor work where experience wasn't explicitly required to assist seasoned techs, and hired people off the street with, preferably, wrench-turning experience for $25 an hour on the west coast with no previous experience (not my choice). It's been a learning experience for management, and a trial in patience to technical leads / low level managers (myself). Naturally, we got a million resumes from burger flippers and drug dealers, and we had to wade through the swamp to find decent candidates, some total duds, to some that were overqualified (Kit-Kat, in my opinion).

We hire pre-graduate interns in the design and research-and-development postilions pretty frequently, if your mechanically inclined (experience trumps GPA), you'd have a very good chance at a job. Junior and senior students are highly sought after.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

thanks for the response, eng student again

you have a discord i can reach you at? can you make a throwaway?

i'm west coast canada and i've never seen any design/r&d intern opportunities along the coast. as an undergrad, an automotive-adjacent internship was something i was interested in. ive only found toyota(ontario) or cummins(indiana). any other intern opportunities along west coast you are aware of?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Cont.

>3 weeks after ADHD is hired, my boss hires another guy I haven't met
      >Black guy (rare in my parts), 6'6" 280 lbs, all muscle, all tattoos, seems like an awesome dude to have a beer with
      >Kinda hung ho, awesome background of underwater welding and boat hull repair
      >First few weeks, he's doing alright, trainable but a bit slow
      >Like 2 weeks in, he's doing great
      >Then we have a couple of priority repairs, and extra hours with complicated jobs
      >He freaks out and says the stress is too much, walks out, and comes back like 30 minutes later apologizing saying he can't handle that level of stress
      >Delegate him to mostly wiring harness repairs, stuff he can do on the bench at his own pace
      >Still can't read the guy; suspect previous trauma

i'm the adhd kid rip

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

this thread is schizoing me out
    should ANYone be a mechanic? this thread makes it seem like it's just not fit for anyone
    is there no counterevidence?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

No. New cars are an engineering nightmare. I worked at a Chrysler dealership around the time fiat bought them out. Even with the FCA upgrades, they did mostly warranty and recall work. Really fricks you over on time because a job that should take 1 hour might only pay 4/10. If you do wrench, go to a place that pays hourly because flat rate is a scam.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>What are some signs that someone should *not* be a mechanic
    using a 3/8 ratchet

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Honestly you shpuld expect months of not getting ypur hamds dirty. They'll have you working parts first, then cleaning up the shop, then lube tech, helping the other mechanics, then they'll toss you some brakes or maybe even an alternator. It takes time, especially if you don't know how to wrench. It took me a few years to polish up, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's a shit trade with shit pay and an exponentially increasing number of cons and maybe one or two pros. Unless you find the perfect independent shop your first try, you're going to ground down to a point where you hate cars, people, your life, and wrenching. It starts off well enough when you're young and eager to wrench on things. If you're lucky you find a different path early on before you hit your thirties and start drinking to dull the pain in your hands, back, and knees.
    >t. mechanic

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

All these people saying that wrenching is the worst job on earth, what do you suggest instead? HVAC and plumbing is soulless

• 1 month ago
      Bepis

Plumbing is kinda dirty. If you go HVAC or electrical, the first few years you will probably be a lower level installer and stuff, but eventually you can git gud and you will be doing diagnostics most of the time, so it’s more like solving puzzles than getting dirty in attics and crawlspaces.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The best way to learn is to just fricking do it, only watching and reading gets boring fast
    The problem is that no one will let your touch their shitboxes so you have to buy your own falling apart shitbox to frick with
    That's what I did, bought a $2K 15 years old car and fixed it up, everything I know I learned with it and in the end this experience enabled me to start a body work and AC shop, I owe everything to this now 20 years old shitbox

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Forgot to say
      Being a wagie for life gets you nowhere, some people prefer the security of this lifestyle over the uncertainty of working for yourself, but money wise, being independent is one of the few paths that lead to success

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

yeah this. get a shitbox and learn yourself. there are enthusiast forums for almost every single make and model with dudes trying to troubleshoot something, and youtube tutorials for a lot of things from tire changes to whole engine swaps.

additionally, if you dont like wrenching on your own shitbox, you likely wont like wrenching as a job

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>What are some signs that someone should *not* be a mechanic
    Having half a brain

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I only enjoy working on my cars while drinking heavily.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a shitbox and wrench on it???

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Listen you dumb frick, if you want action just go into EV repair. There is a big shortage of qualified techs for EVs and it will only grow worse as time goes on. They will be higher paid and more in demand. Only thing is you can literally die if you're a dumbass who doesn't take safety seriously. So if you're a dumbass, avoid.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *