What could go wrong?

What could go wrong?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

not much, plenty of people have had a good time with rear mounts

i think the most difficult/annoying part is probably the oil (and coolant, if applicable) lines, seems like it would be much better to just have a separate dedicated oil cooler and oil system that is also mounted in the rear, which some people do, however that picture looks like that has not been done

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

okay yes but have you considered the hot ass turbine 2 inches from the fuel tank

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Thats not the fuel tank.
        The oem tank (red) used to be where all the turbo stuff is now.
        These caps (yellow) are glued in place and are the drains for the paint when they dip the body in the factory.

Its a bmw e30 btw

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>Its a bmw e30 btw
          what engine?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

my bad I'm not super familiar with bimmers, carry on then. it looks like where a lot of cars would have the tank. do you have a fuel cell in the trunk?

turbo lag

not perceptibly, maybe a few ms. boost threshold would be a bit higher though

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Good clarification, anon, but does it mostly fit in the old tank cavity. That thing really does appear to be a rock/trash magnet and for race-use only. Even Deboss Garage ran the turbos, in their Audi, to the back-seat area.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

why would the turbine be significantly hotter than the exhaust pipes that were already there?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Because it absorbs the energy from the exhaust gasses. It's also got a lot more mass than the exhaust pipe and can store more heat for longer.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

i don't think that would be enough to make a significant difference. dual steel pipes have decent mass too.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>rear mount in an E30
          moron hands built this. There is plenty of room in the engine bay of an E30 for a turbo unless you've done something moronic like cram an american big block in it.

i don't think that would be enough to make a significant difference. dual steel pipes have decent mass too.

That's how turbines work, dipshit. The gasses leave a lot cooler and slower than they come in. It's called Enthalpy and it's the measure of total energy contained within a gas flow. Turbine housings are EXTREMELY hot compared to an exhaust pipe 6' back from a header. Your exhaust pipe 3/4 of the way down your car is probably barely 450°F at WOT, the turbine housing will be hotter than that at idle. At WOT they fricking glow, have you never seen a picture or video of that? Cast iron starts to glow visibly dark surroundings at around 800°F and glows brightly at over 950°F

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

oh yeah if only we didn't have a billion ways of shielding heat, how could we ever solve this problem...

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

nothing personnel, kid

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

my homie got the bluetooth gas tank

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

It's probably in the trunk. Very common modification.

my bad I'm not super familiar with bimmers, carry on then. it looks like where a lot of cars would have the tank. do you have a fuel cell in the trunk?

[...]
      not perceptibly, maybe a few ms. boost threshold would be a bit higher though

Not that guy but yes it's probably in the trunk.

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

turbo lag

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

You dont know what you are talking about.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

HotVee configuration suggests you're the one talking out your ass.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

?t=312
          Doesnt hurt to admit you dont know what you are talking about.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>Randomer from youtube the proceeds to say this setup has a lot of turbo lag
            >OEM's use HotVee setup's to make a boosted car feel as close to an NA car as possible.

Let me guess, you missed all physics classes?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/TPN3a0G.jpg

>Randomer from youtube the proceeds to say this setup has a lot of turbo lag
          >OEM's use HotVee setup's to make a boosted car feel as close to an NA car as possible.

Let me guess, you missed all physics classes?

uh oh someone told dad about DA in one of his his facebook groups

NTA but you clearly didn't understand the video because that's not what he says at all. also you always post the same dumb images and you shit up every thread with your boomer nonsense opinions that nobody can talk you out of. just get a trip so we can filter you.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

stay mad, dumbass

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

I wonder what life would be like if I was as moronic as this anon.

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>He doesn't want the discharge outlet to be smack dab on the intake manifold
    Eurogays are braindead.

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

RX7s are doodoo

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Fricker I want a turbo E30 325i so bad

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

History has proven itself.

• 3 months ago
      Bepis

See

buddy had one of these on an ls. turbo lag was insane but when it kicked in tires were spinning on the highway. anon itt trying to call other people idiots for pointing out the turbo lag on a setup like this should stop posting.

This anon

You dont know what you are talking about.

is trying to argue physics and fluid dynamics or whatever bullshit they call it. Air is relatively slow moving when it comes to that type of stuff, drive a vehicle with air brakes and you can feel the delay between pressing the pedal and getting that air pressure to push on the brake pads.

Doesn’t really matter in an airplane where the throttle stays relatively steady.

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

buddy had one of these on an ls. turbo lag was insane but when it kicked in tires were spinning on the highway. anon itt trying to call other people idiots for pointing out the turbo lag on a setup like this should stop posting.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

boost threshold != boost lag

the problem with these setups isn't that they take super long to spool, it's that they spool at a really high RPM like 5.5k when under the engine bay would be more like 4k. if you're flooring it from 2k it's going to feel like an eternity because it takes forever to actually get enough energy to the turbine to start to boost. also maybe your buddy was just running a huge single turbo which is going to have way more inertia. tl;dr watch the video the guy actually does the math and explains it.

• 3 months ago
        Bepis

>just run a smaller turbo for less boost and there will be less lag than having a turbo in the engine bay!

Or you’re trying to redefine what everybody means by “turbo lag” aka the amount of time it takes between stomping on the gas pedal and actually feeling the extra power from boost.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

huh? do you have a reading disability? I didn't suggest anyone should do anything. different setups have different tradeoffs. obviously if it was your build you would do your research, understand the tradeoffs, and just pick whatever works for your application. also, technical terms have well defined meanings. don't get butthurt when someone calls you out for misusing them even if it's common.

• 3 months ago
            Bepis

See

if your behavior itt was an attempt to win an argument by being anal about word definitions then you're a straight up homosexual.

Just because the libtards got ahold of Merriam Webster doesn’t mean women have dicks.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

nobody redefined anything you assblassted tripgay. I was using the term as intended from my first post. you found out you've been misusing a term this whole time, congrats. it's okay to learn, it's how we all grow. your resistance just seems like a classic dunning kreuger midwit response when confronted with new information and they find out they weren't as smart as they thought.

• 3 months ago
            Bepis

if you stay in the powerb and it does not add lag. it moves the power band.

Kek. Goalposts blah blah blah

Turbo lag is not about staying in the powerband. It’s about not being in the power, and how long it takes you get there when you want it.

Your moronic idea is fine for this application

https://i.imgur.com/5TeZ1cc.jpg

History has proven itself.

but not optimal for cars.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

if your behavior itt was an attempt to win an argument by being anal about word definitions then you're a straight up homosexual.

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>akshually a longer exhaust manifold doesn't create more lag
    By everyone else's definition yes it does.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

if you stay in the powerb and it does not add lag. it moves the power band.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

A longer exhaust manifold creates more delay between applying throttle and receiving boosted air.
        A longer exhaust manifold will also create more delay between the engine climbing RPM and receiving boosted air.

• 3 months ago
          Bepis

No anon, you totally don’t understand HIS TRUTH and his definition of “turbo lag”

Trannies with dicks are women too!

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

true, but practically it's on the order of 100 milliseconds max to only pressurize the system.

No anon, you totally don’t understand HIS TRUTH and his definition of “turbo lag”

Trannies with dicks are women too!

it's okay to be wrong sometimes.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>A longer exhaust manifold creates more delay between applying throttle and receiving boosted air.
          >A longer exhaust manifold will also create more delay between the engine climbing RPM and receiving boosted air.
          do you know how fast the air is traveling in an intake or exhaust? it's about 100 M/s.

Do you know how long the intake and exhaust piping is?
          An optimal hotvee setup will be less than 1 M. So this means the air goes from the air filter to the combustion chamber in less than 0.01 seconds.

Now we go to a rear mount setup in a pretty unoptimal configuration, we'll call it 10 M total. This means the air is going from the air filter to the combustion chamber in 0.1 seconds.

you are the morons

[...]
          Kek. Goalposts blah blah blah

Turbo lag is not about staying in the powerband. It’s about not being in the power, and how long it takes you get there when you want it.

Your moronic idea is fine for this application [...] but not optimal for cars.

If you are inside the powerband and you hit the gas, the time to spool up to full boost is not that different between the setups.

If you are talking about the total rpm range from idle to redline then yes, it takes the rear mount a longer amount of time to hit its powerband.

• 3 months ago
            Bepis

Do you have a driver’s license?

Air is kinda slow bruh, air pressure changes take time, especially when you’re comparing it to NA modern EFI. That fraction of a second matters when you’re doing stuff that requires quick reactions. Like I said, try a vehicle with air brakes and even at 120psi, there’s a noticeable lag compared to hydraulic brakes and it takes awhile to adjust to it and brake accordingly.

Cars don’t work how you think they do. Once you learn to drive, you will realize that. You’re not always in the powerband. Hell, the majority of time you’re not really there, until you hit the gas pedal and want to be there, and a turb with a mile of piping is going to take a lot longer to react.

Frogpost more and enjoy being told you’re wrong by numerous people.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>air is slow
            no it's not

Haha this morons doesn't know about pressure and thinks turbos spool up from the exhaust gasses blowing on the turbine wheel

you misquoted

A longer exhaust manifold creates more delay between applying throttle and receiving boosted air.
            A longer exhaust manifold will also create more delay between the engine climbing RPM and receiving boosted air.

i was simply addressing his moronic argument

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

It's not about how fast the gas reaches the turbo moron, its about how fast the pressure builds up in front of the turbine wheel.
            A much larger volume of manifold takes far more exhaust gas to build up an equivalent pressure.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

it's both. it's the amount of kinetic energy in the exhaust gas. in any case PV = nRT, and since the pressures are relatively low and the temperature is high enough (albeit with temperature loss in a longer manifold) it doesn't take long to pressurize. again, maybe a tenth of a second max which may or may not be significant in your application.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>yeah it only has multiple times the amount of exhaust manifold volume
            >and multiple times the amount of charge pipe volume
            >so it's going to have multiple times the amount of lag that a regular turbo setup has
            >but it's not laggy!

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

are you forgetting that your engine is moving the equivalent air mass of its displacement at whatever pressure it's developing every other revolution? even a small turbo on a small engine at modest rpm is moving over 100L of air a second at atmospheric pressure. the entire plumbing system is a fraction of that. it takes milliseconds to pressurize when you're in the power band. the increased lag is not noticeable in the power band.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>it's not noticeable

Turbo lag is a real thing buddy, throttle response is a real thing, maybe it doesn't matter for the gay arse driving you're doing but many of us would notice.
            OEM manufacturers will reduce the volume of the intake manifold on stock N/A cars just to give the driver more response.
            N/A race cars will run independent throttle bodies close to the port just to reduce the volume the atmospheric pressure will have to fill before reaching the engine after throttle is applied.

Yet here you are telling me meters of extra 3 inch tubing in the intake AND exhaust doesn't matter....

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Haha this morons doesn't know about pressure and thinks turbos spool up from the exhaust gasses blowing on the turbine wheel

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Shhh I was enjoying this moronic argument.

Side note-I want a rear turbo with a whistle-tipped blow-off valve.

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Mexicans with a sawzall.

12. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Is that the turbo next to the gas tank?

13. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Lots of turbo lag, fun particles sent directly to the manifold.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *