What did it do to make people so fricking mad?

What did it do to make people so fricking mad? Form what I understand it's a completely reasonable car, but it was the but of like 30% of all auto jokes for awhile.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>In July 2007, The New York Times published an article using data from CNW Marketing Research finding that 57% of Prius buyers said their main reason for buying was that "it makes a statement about me", while just 37% cited fuel economy as a prime motivator.
    I figure the 57% here would've pre-ordered a tesla as soon as they could for the same reasons

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Exactly. Insanely good car though. Probably the best sedan Japan has ever produced.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Probably the best sedan Japan has ever produced.

Nah, pic related.

The Prius is a good car, its reliable, its practical and it gets great fuel economy; but up until the current gen they had pretty poor ride quality because of how lightweight and low to the ground they are and they looked boring and they're slow.

The current Prius is basically a better looking Corolla with 50+ MPG though and that's pretty neat. Its still not fast or exciting to drive though.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Probably the best sedan Japan has ever produced.

Best automotive appliance/workhorse, maybe, but every Prius prior to the current one has been a rolling penalty box in terms of driving dynamics.

It’s basically the 5-seater equivalent of a minivan. Extremely practical for day to day life and great value for money, but extremely unsexy and unfun from an enthusiast perspective.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

its just a worse corolla hybrid at this point
          get it if you want to impress 50 year old liberals

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Hatchback is more useful than Sedan
            640 mile range with the Prius
            560 in the Corolla hybrid

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Hatchback is more useful than Sedan
            exactly, so the hatch and wagon corolla are the better cars

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>What did it do to make people so fricking mad?

The first generation was really under powered and looked particularly bland. It was also the harbringer of environmentalist shenanigans to come.

The current generation isn't under powered, actually looks good, and EVs have taken over from hybrids as the harbinger of environmentalist shenanigans.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>The current generation isn't under powered, actually looks good
      You're having a laugh.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

that's the 3rd generation moron
        4g prius looks decent

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous Mogul

That's the last generation, which I agree looked like ass. The current gen isn't powerful by any stretch of the imagination; but it drives like a early 2000s Camry which is fine.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It was the 2nd gen that took over.
      The first gen is forgotten.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's the car version of emasculation.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That too, its like owning a minivan. Its practical but inherently feminine.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

men view it as a little bumper car go-kart
    saving gas>fun
    people think its electric or making a statement to go electric

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

see

It's the car version of emasculation.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Male and female participants
        So if you keep your girl on your porche carrera for a long time she becomes a butch dyke?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

no, she'll just want to have sex in your car

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Its the previous generation's tesla. Hybrids were cool when they first came around in the 90s. The prius was a niche but futuristic car. Around the time of the 08 elections and the recession, a hybrid became the idea of progressive environmentalism, and the prius became the figurehead. It then became ingrained in car pages as the image of weakness and eco friendlyism, in other words the antithesis of the car community. Fast forward to now, around the 2016 election, electric cars (mostly tesla) became synonymous with environmentalism, and teslas became a figurehead. Its now ingrained in the current generations that electric cars represent non servicability, feminimity, and a disdain for automotive passion. People's political identity and emotional attachment to brands has become stronger than ever with current auto legislation and electric/driver aid innovations encrouching on every part of the industry, since they polarize views on every new car that comes out the minute people see them. Couple it with auto influencers and internet experts, and a car that is unremarkable on paper then becomes "the pinnacle of our generation" or "one of the worst vehicles created in this decade" just because whatever group of social media influencers decides to make memes of and focus posts about negative experiences on when they need content. Its all a joke. Learn the information yourself and make informed opinions based on what you find about whatever car. There's so many clowns on this site that can't for some reason

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It is odd. So my older brothers are Gen X, and very much traditional conservative republican types. One of their friends who is very much the same, was going on about that a Prius is a big middle finger to the Middle East and being dependent on oil. Bros were lie nah frick that gay car blah blah. Years later another friend of theirs gets a 2019 Prius Prime or something. Friend was expecting all the backlash and shit talk but to my understanding they're just like "Oh, nice gay car." And they carry on

It definitely was made fun of a shit ton back in the day. Friend of a friend had one, has a story that he went on a date with a chick, and when his Prius was brought up, she said something along the lines of "Oh, when I got here it's like I wasn't wearing panties, but after I saw your Prius they came back on"

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It wasn't the car, it was the owners. Same thing with EV's.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It was the car of choice for the apocalyptically smug "my consooming choices make me an objectively better person than you" hipster crowd.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because it's the Tesla of the 2000's, a car bought as a statement, to say "I am better than you because I'm socially conscious" so any upsides that the car might have are irrelevant on the moment, and can only be observed once it stops being a statement, hence people just started to value the Prius as an uglier, more economical Corolla once all the fart huffing liberals sold theirs to buy Teslas. That will happen to both trucks and EVs once the people politicizing these cars move on to whine about something else, until then, there's no point judging a car for it's merits

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *