What is it like having an unreliable car? I've only owned Toyotas and Fords so I don't know this feel.

What is it like having an unreliable car? I've only owned Toyotas and Fords so I don't know this feel. It sounds like it would be a pain in the ass.

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

couldn't tell you
    t. Volkswagen owner

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

same.

https://i.imgur.com/FtBtGTi.png

What is it like having an unreliable car? I've only owned Toyotas and Fords so I don't know this feel. It sounds like it would be a pain in the ass.

define unreliable? my car has had issues, and I feel like I can depend on it 9999 out of 10000 times, but that 1 out of a 10000 is a source of stress in the back of my mind, that maybe this time the car won't make it or I'll need to dump thousands into replacing the engine. I have AAA and a motorcycle though so even if it does fail it won't ruin my life.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

nta but over the years i've done my best to maintain a bunch of cars owned by myself and my friends. i think their experiences with their shitboxes breaking fuels my fear of my car breaking in that 1/10000 scenario.
        >Honda CRX spins a rod bearing. The oil pickup was cracked for an entire year.
        >Honda Accord pops a coolant hose climbing a grade in Colorado
        >Chevy Trailblazer suddenly loses an ignition coil in the morning after running like a top the night before
        >Honda Civic timing belt tensioner slips coming off of the interstate (don't trust your friends to do timing belts)
        >Chevy Trailblazer electronic throttle body occasionally gets stuck on wet mornings
        >Honda CRX has a non-working fuel gauge and a shit aftermarket tank with no baffling. Spent 2hrs diagnosing a stalling issue for me to realize it's just out of gas. I know how many miles you can get out of a tank with these cars (300+), but my friend said he would run out at 150. The trip odometer was at 138. Called him an idiot and told him to limp to the gas station.
        >Same CRX friend hit the oil pan and broke it and kept on driving it. I guess the suction of the pump kept the oil in the pan until he stopped, got out, and realized there is oil spilling under the car.
        All of these secondhand experiences give me paranoia that my car is going to suddenly implode, dump an entire pan of oil on the ground, burst a coolant hose, have an electrical meltdown, or otherwise leave me stranded if I take it on a very long drive.
        But, my cars have never given me a failure. I guess as long as you keep the oil full and make sure your hoses are in good shape you should be fine, right?
        Oh, and then there's automatic cars where I have paranoia about the ATF cooler lines leaking and pouring all the fluid out while I'm driving.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

people really do not understand preventative or even just regular maintenance until it bites them in the ass

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Honda Civic timing belt tensioner slips coming off of the interstate (don't trust your friends to do timing belts)
          God it hurts when a friend helping fricks something up
          I had to change head gasket twice last winter because a friend mixed the coolant and it froze and burnt my head gasket

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Sounds like an unreliable car. I've never had to worry about anything like that in my entire life.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

after owning a used BMW for a while i can tell you, the real luxury is not needing to carry a scan tool and a socket set with you all the time.
    >meanwhile my 1998 f150 with 337k miles runs like a fricking champ.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends on the car, it can be worth it or not.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ive owned a 1999 ford, 1999 honda, 2002 audi, 2007 chevy, and 2024 toyota.

The most unreliable of all those was probably the ford, followed closely by the audi. the most reliable was surprisingly the chevrolet, even more so than the honda. the toyota hasnt had any problems either but its too new to say wether its reliable or not yet

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's soul destroying when you break down at the lights, have to push your piece of shit off the road like a poorgay while everyone stares and beeps at you, then have to wait for the tow truck for the 6th time this year

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>while everyone stares and beeps at you
      It's because you have a somewhat flashy car.
      You're not some regular poorgay who had his cheap economy car broken down, no, you chose to get a sporty car enthusiast car, but it's still a piece of shit, so people will judge you hard for that.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is this a Catera?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Close - 1999 Holden Calais 3.8 V6, strayan relative of the Catera

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No, the Catera is an Opel Omega. The Commodore is bigger.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

just be like that guy in sydney years back who's commo broke down right outside town hall
      so he put on his hazards, grabbed a beach towel in the back, and started relaxing on the roof as he waited for the towie to come

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The childhood family car we had was a 2003 Jeep Liberty. My mom really wanted a Jeep but the 4-door Wrangler hadn’t come out yet and she didn’t like how the Grand Cherokee looked, so she hounded at my dad for months to trade-in her Windstar for a Jeep Liberty. He finally gave in and I honestly have nothing but negative memories about it.

Everything inside felt especially cheap and scratched/scuffed easily, it was not comfortable to drive (something my mom began complaining about almost instantly after getting it), and within the first six months or so of owning it one of the windows failed and wouldn’t come back up.

After about three years of owning it, some more serious problems started. The engine would get very hot and burn oil so we had to carry a jug of motor oil in the trunk and topping it off. It left us stranded multiple times and I had to help push it off to the side of the road most of these times. One time my mom had to leave it parked at my elementary school parking lot overnight because it wouldn’t start and it was not a simple issue like a battery being drained.

Absolutely horrible experience but because of it now I’m very careful about keeping up with maintenance and I would never buy a car with bad consumer reports just because I like how it looks.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get a Honda or BMW

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>BMW
      kek

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Hang On, 'Nother Destroyed Automobile
      >Bags of Money Wasted

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Worth wasted than EV battery replacement

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a hyundai which im the 6th owner on, trans slips, battery is dead and I just keep trickle charging it, brakes grind in the rear, the ignition switch failed on me. left me stranded twice now in 3 years and 40k. I literally think about purposely crashing it just to get rid of it.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Got a 2011 GL450. The mass air flow sensor went out when I was at a conference 4 hours from home. They had to keep it in the shop for a week. I got a ride home with a conference attendee and my dad had to come up and drive with me so I could get the car back. Air springs blew out 2 months ago, that was 3 grand. Then the next month, my AC went out and that was another 2 grand. Now my transmission is downshifting rough between 3rd and 2nd, as well as 2nd and 1st.

I did the math and just in repairs I've put 10 grand into the car and I've only owned it for 18 months. Next year, I'm getting rid of it. I think I'm going to get a new car off the lot and hope that for once I don't have serious maintenance for many years.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I think I'm going to get a new car off the lot and hope that for once I don't have serious maintenance for many years.
      State your options. Every single automaker is having reliability problems due to shitty labor and shitty engineering with drivetrains that need a lot of due diligence in their design (which didn't happen), so there aren't many safe options.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

2024 CX-5 Preferred
        2024 Mazda3 Preferred
        2024 Camry SE Nightshade
        Maybe 2024 Santa Cruz

Some of these cars by next year won't be on the lots anymore. Maybe the 2025 models will be okay too. What I'm worried about most is getting set on a car, climbing into it for a test drive, and hating the way it feels. It's hard to compete with the familiar way my GL feels so I'm banking on having "that moment" where I know the car is right for me.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Will say it is pretty scary, especially when the suspension fricking collapses on the highway

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>ford

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

if you take care of them they generally last forever

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>What is it like having an unreliable car?
        It's fricking great. I don't have to shofer around morons because they never ask.

God I hope so, I would really like it to be just unreliable enough to get me where I need to go. To have a vehicle that will never be stolen, borrowed, taxed to fricking death, fleeced by a lease and can be left for waste GTA style is a one of a kind feeling that a reliable wagie egg driver will never have. I know you're car really is more reliable, even better than mine in some cases, which is why you make the big bucks :D.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

*chauffeur

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

chevrolet mog ford

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If that were true Ford trucks wouldn't have dominated the market

Chevy is also reliable, but there's a Ford part at every street corner

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Ram pick up truck did?

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What is it like having an unreliable car?
    Imagine just assuming that the car isn't going to work and you have to budget extra time to make it work. My experience with an unreliable car was a 40 year old HMMWV that has been beat to shit by several generations of idiot soldiers, so it took half a platoon of men to do the special military-grade rain dance to get it to start.
    >one holds hood open because hood prop is broken
    >one holds starter on while pumping gas pedal at 120-130 pumps per minute
    >one holds piece of cardboard on exhaust pipe to build up back pressure
    >several soldiers standing around hoping it starts, the hope somehow gives it life
    Ukrainians probably died because of that piece of shit truck. It got "donated" to the war effort. Last I heard my former unit got brand new JLTVs for their trouble so they're happy to see it go.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The no car payment cope gets old when you're fixing something every other weekend instead of enjoying yourself

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

my 2009 Skoda Octavia scout is an unreliable piece of shit but I love her.
    she broke down today actually, the alternator is fricked and drains the battery so I have to unplug it every time I park it and it just switched off when I was doing a 3 pointer. just bump started it, thank frick I was trying to turn around in a steep car park.
    total list of (known) issues:
    >can't use more than one window at a time
    >aircon is fricked
    >fuel line temp probe is broken (again, I just ignore the alarm when I start the engine)
    >steering column is canted a bit (only about 15 degrees)
    >timing belt is massively overdue for replacement
    >boot lock is broken
    >Central locking is broken
    >parking sensor would go off randomly while I was driving so I just disconnected it
    >flywheel is crooked or something I gotta stamp on the clutch like it owes me money every time the cab starts to smell like bacon (the olfactory alarm as I call it)
    >chipped windscreen (loctite)
    >wiper fluid sprays out the FRONT (cyclist deterrent when I'm at lights and one of the lycra legion thinks he can pull in front of me)
    >the pump that controls the transmission and brake fluid is fricked, it had a hole in it which I just welded up
    >the turbo screams like a cat in heat
    I'm moving into a flat which is a 5 minute walk from work, the train station, and high street literally tomorrow. after that I'll save up for a new wagon.
    I wouldn't call my car unreliable, she's just a diva

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Very stressful. There's no security when there's something wrong with the car. Imagine every time you get in the car you hold your breath until you hear the engine turn over. You wonder if the car will make it to your destination and back. You grit your teeth at every light. You're hyper-sensitive to every sound and with the feel of the car. There's the feeling of helplessness, too. I'm thankful that when my car finally gave up, it was very close to the house and it was able to limp back and get parked instead of it happening in traffic or somewhere far away.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. Unreliable car requires repair jobs multiple times per year, regardless to you drive the car 2000miles or 19000miles per year.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I can tell you about it as an ex ford owner. Relatively new Focus engine exploded as I was on my way back picking up my e30 with a friend, just lost oil all of the sudden and died, no warning signs. Ford said frick you, dealer was ashamed and gave me an offer so I got a fiesta for my mom. Gearbox started dying within guarantee period. Never again. Focus mk1 was a nice but cheap car though too bad someone rear ended that one.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No idea either. I'd tell you, but my Alfa Romeo is reliably always in the workshop, broken down.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *