What is the automotive world's obsession with this shit?

What is the automotive world's obsession with this shit? They're expensive, needlessly complex and they leak all the time.
They're used in place of banjo bolts and hard lines, which are much better.
They're used in applications where a simple soft hose, clamp and barb would suffice fine.

Why does EVERYONE use this shit?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Satanism, I think.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>They're expensive
    poorgay
    >needlessly complex
    moron
    > and they leak all the time.
    wrenchlet.
    with that being said the braided steel sleeves are ricey as frick

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Look at the product list for AN repair items, there's a whole industry which revolves around AN fittings always leaking.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Well, first off you're poor, blue/red and stainless AN is boomer tier. If you aren't using the push locks and earls, you're a plebian. Secondly, I'm not using a banjo bolt on my power steering or trans lines, and a hardline isn't gonna work for either of those either. Third, soft lines have compromises, and see the first.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Whats wrong with banjo bolts?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

tends to be a restriction. toyota in their infinite wisdom used a banjo bolt on the oil pump outlet for the 7M engine. it's a known restriction and one of the first things to ditch if you're ever deciding to track the car or increase reliability

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If the banjo isn't big enough for your flow requirements, use a bigger one.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

unfortunately nobody really makes bigger ones. there's kits to make it a mandrel bent pipe though.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i tried using stainless braided hose in my first project and found out fast that shit is the fricking worst. pushlock is so nice there is no reason not to

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Why the frick would I want push locks for a turbo oil feed?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>rated to 150+ psi

Your move, tard.

i tried using stainless braided hose in my first project and found out fast that shit is the fricking worst. pushlock is so nice there is no reason not to

Stainless a shit, push lock is kino.

Whats wrong with banjo bolts?

Banjos belong on carb, calipers, and P/S pumps only.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Banjos belong on carb, calipers, and P/S pumps only.
          >because I just said so ok!!!

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There is no other situation in which a banjo bolt is the best option on a car.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

turbo oil feed

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>need to replace crush washers every use
            >push lock or any AN fitting, it just werks
            >more availability and customization options than a banjo bussy

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

In what world does a banjo washer need to be replaced every use when it's attached to a hard line, but the banjo washers on your special AN banjo fitting don't, and the extra connection from the banjo fitting to the AN hose adapter somehow doesn't wear out from use either?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Find where I said AN banjo fittings. Any banjo fitting washer should be replaced after use, just like crush washers on drain pans, they are not designed to be reused as they CRUSH and CONFORM to the imperfect surfaces, ya dunce.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How you gunna join the your special AN line to the turbo genius? You either need an AN banjo adapter or a male AN to thread adapter with the same crush washer that you're complaining about on the banjo.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There's quite literally oil feed flanges with the AN male fittings on them, and if you're stuck on the fact you ""HAVE"" to use a banjo fitting or washer to hook up your oil feed, you're a wrenchlet who can't operate outside of the owners manual anyways.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>just magically join the AN fitting to your female threaded turbo recepticle you wrenchlet
            When are you gunna admit you have no idea what you're talking about lmao

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you can't comprehend how to fix that problem, you shouldn't be touching a turbo in the first place.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Go on, tell me how you magically join the AN fitting to the turbo without another washer or gasket anon

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I took my screw in fitting for the heater core out of my intake, cut it and welded on an AN flange.
            Sorry the limitations of your "fabrication skills" s what you can find at autozone.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Keep going anon, are you suggesting everyone should weld AN fittings onto their cast iron turbo cores because a banjo copper crush sleeves might need replacing or annealing after 5 uses?
            >this is your brain on AN cope

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

if it's a copper washer, you can simply reheat it on the stove to anneal it again. dunk in water or air cool and it's ready to use again. Useful if you can't get a replacement and it's urgent or something.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>$0.001 washer marked up to $0.45~$5.00+ because longnose
            >spending the time to anneal and repurpose said washer
            >superior fitting options without said washers

I'm all for making your unobtanium parts work when need be, but it's almost always best to adapt and change than try to just get by.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

it's useful for when you forgot to buy a washer or can't be stuffed going to the shops and getting a new one

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>not having a small kit of crush washers
            ngmi

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

how many fricking times do you undo your turbo oil feed

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's just plainly not true anyway, I've reused copper washers many times without leaks. If your sealing surfaces aren't damaged, it takes more than one single use before they are too hard to conform and seal.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No I know it's bullshit but I'm trying to demonstrate that even if it were true it'd still be a stupid argument

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i used push lock on my oil feed. i used to think it wouldnt work either, and maybe sometimes it wouldnt, but yeah. I was still paranoid and used a section of dei firesleeve. no problem for me

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i found a whole pic. on the water lines i used silicone heater hose slipped over the pushlock hose. I was paranoid and thought the pushlock could buldge or something but ive had no problems.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

BRO
          Look how many EXTRA CONNECTIONS you have with that AN shit! You guys don't even realise how needlessly complex you're making shit - you've got a soft hose, to AN, to that blue adapter, to what looks like another silver adapter underneath, to finally the turbo.
          With a banjo you could've gone straight from a soft line, to the banjo fitting, to the turbo.
          (same thing with the water lines but I don't even want to count how many extra unnecessary connections you have there)

I AM curious what grade hose you used though as I might do something with a soft hose and hot oil one day.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

not that anon, but the benefit of AN fittings is the ability to remove lines and reinstall then without leaks.
            you can't really do that with Barb fittings or OEM stuff.
            I'm a fan of Banjo fittings myself, but I also use AN lines or AN Crimps attached to a Banjo.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What the frick do you mean "OEM stuff"?
            What the frick are you talking about barbs, those AN fittings still have barbs they just have another 3 or 4 extra unnecessary connections ONTOP of that........

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You're still dickriding banjo fittings, if they were in any way superior, race teams would use them everywhere. The ability to slap an AN fitting onto literally fricking anything is part of it's popularity. Barb fittings can handle a turbo oil feed, push lock soft line will easily take 150-300+ psi, more than enough for anything short of power steering.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yet industrial stuff uses hard lines, crimp fittings and banjos

none of the connections on that ABS unit are unnecessary.
            it's just a result of the anti drainback residual valves.
            those valves are pretty critical if you want to ride track curbs.

[...]
            An fittings can have a simple barb as a connection point.
            or push-lock.

[...]
            non crimp or non compression lines arn't really safe in anything above basic fuel pressure lines.
            I use 10an push-loc fittings for a catch can, but that operates at sub 1 psi.

You don't understand how you could have ONE connection between each component?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what part of "I use residual valves" don't you understand?

if I had a OEM system, I could use a single 10mm bubble flair yes.
            but I have Res valves.
            so more connections are used.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You don't believe you could have ONE connection in and out of your valves?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Push-lock AN is quite literally rated for pressures well above any standard fuel system. Saying they're not safe within their own ratings is wild.

[...]
            You're truly moronic and don't know what modern fittings, lines, etc are capable of.

[...]
            Not everything can be one single connection, fitment, use-case, and serviceability are all factors. You don't wrench so you can't grasp this.

I'm repeating what Bosch say to do for their motorsport abs system.

I've made many brake lines both hardline and braided ptfe, coincidently I also use atec fittings.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well the silver is a steel fitting, for the steel threads going into the steel turbo and maybe the blue elbows are a bit extra but that's how it is. The hose brand is titan from lefthander racing

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

banjos are great for packaging reasons and are even ideal for gauge/sense lines

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Steel lines are good. Can't cut Braided steel.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>leak all the time
    That's due to morons over tightening them and fricking up the flares. They only need to be snug.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The alternative is rubber hoses with butterfly clamps, and some of those hoses are part of the brake booster. A leak is better than the whole hose popping off the nub, with no power to the brakes and pedal. Not every hose is for liquids and air is going to leak somehow due to backpressure. My rubber hoses are overlengthen with a little bend and tied with worm geared clamps, and that is due to the brake booster hose popping off three times. The metal tubes is purely for show as those cars won't be driven for their lives.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

AN lines and fittings on cars is an automotive LARP. There is no system that moves enough fluid at enough pressure to warrant that shit.
    Now the case of custom shit where you can’t use OEM lines and such is different, but for most people it’s completely unnecessary.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Fuel feeds can reach 100psi I'm pretty sure so can power steering lines

That said, it's fricking stupid for shit like catch cans. I just use regular rubber vacuum/heater hose with AN barb fittings cause I fricking hate working with braided AN line. It's always either too stiff or ends up somehow pricking me

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>a whopping 100psi
        My brother in Christ, aircraft hydraulic systems are 3,000 PSI, 5,000 PSI for the 787.
        There is nothing that comes close to requiring that kind of line or fitting.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

787 5,000 psi lines arn't AN though.
          those are a completely different fitting and flair.
          .t Boeing gay

it's useful for when you forgot to buy a washer or can't be stuffed going to the shops and getting a new one

why the hell don't you just buy a copper crush washer kit?
          I have about 20 in each size.
          kits are like $25 a box.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>$25 a box

well la dee da mr park avenue manicure

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

honestly i just never really had use for a washer kit. also copper washer kits are a lot more expensive here in aus. but if i ever did need one i'd just buy one of those cheap chinese ebay ones.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I can shit 100psi anon, it's really not that much.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Goddam jeets are taking over DA now too?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This shows you're moronic as hell. Power steering is 600+ PSI. The pump on my serpentine conversion kit is an OE style GM pump, and it's 1200-1300 PSI through my steering box.

>it's assembled with AN fittings

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Mine has hardlines, flares and banjos

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That sounds like a valid application of AN lines. What isn't is shit like coolant hoses and catch can lines.

how many fricking times do you undo your turbo oil feed

Turbo lines are a lot better when they're AN from my experience, especially the drain lines if they have to be taken on and off repeatedly to access shit

Poojeet hands typed made this thread.

All I can say is getgud homosexual

Jeets can barely afford motorcycles let alone cars

moron post showing DEI competency crisis hitting DA in real time

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are you trying to imply a permanently leak free coolant line is not a top tier choice? Even on a catch can, there's no good reason not to use it. Not everyone is such a poor frick that a $4 fitting is the end of the world. Hose clamps are shit and look like shit too.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Hose clamps work fine man. I'm not sure what you're doing to your coolant lines to make them leak. As long as the surface is clean, uniform, and the hose isn't old as hell it'll seal, they often kinda chemically bond by having the rubber melt onto the steel with the coolant which is why they get difficult to remove

And a radiator hose sized AN fitting is a lot more than $4. Closer to $60-100 for a -16AN sized fitting

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>look like shit too
            That's what this really comes down to doesn't it?
            Because hoses and clamps are 100% functional for cooling systems.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

they're great for aftermarket oil coolers

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>thing is needlessly expensive due to trademark and 1000% profit margin
    >"HAHA WHAT ARE YOU POOR?"
    Why are (You) like this?

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

they look cool

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

during hard braking, your brake lines contain as much pressure as a .38 special cartridge being fired

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Damn americans truly don't really know how to use acutal units

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Rent free

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i guess you could say they're obtuse!

• 3 weeks ago
        Greased Geese

>ass blasted comparable to 2 bottle rockets in a hamburger

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I get an fittings for free at work.

T. a&p

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

gotta go fast

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

A perfect example of completely unnecessary AN fittings that are more complicated, have more sealing joints and are MORE prone to leaking than simple soft hoses and clamps.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Sugar

Under that radiator shroud and ahead of the radiator is a whole bunch of the -8AN blue and red fittings and probably 10 feet of stainless braided line for a huge oil cooler and filter relocation kit made for 100-degree salt flats, and to make room for a large turbo. It has held together leak-free for 3 years and has seen a few track days, several 100psi cold starts and three top speed pulls with oil temps at 230.

If a fat autistic truck driver can figure it out, you can too. Just tell us you're a wrenchlet next time, peasant.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

All of that could've been achieved with normal high temp hydraulic hose

14. 3 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

I've used brake line and fuel injection hose instead but all the hose ive bought recently just instantly dry rots and im considering going to an/braided line instead.
    >t have used 5/16s brake line and union fittings with hose barbs on the ends to make hard lines for my cars

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>They're expensive
    quality costs money
    >needlessly complex
    not really
    >they leak all the time.
    high quality AN fittings don't leak.
    >They're used in place of banjo bolts and hard lines, which are much better.
    depends on what the application is
    >They're used in applications where a simple soft hose, clamp and barb would suffice fine.
    hose clamps are unsafe and unsuitable for extreme use.
    >Why does EVERYONE use this shit?
    there's not a better more reliable way to remove and connect lines on the regular basis.
    that's literally why they were invented.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>they're not needlessly complex
      >(picture unrelated)

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

the AN fittings itself is very simple.
        that ABS unit just has a lot of fittings due to the anti drainback valves.
        it's actually very simple.
        any moron can assemble that.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Do you not see the extra unnecessary connections? Do you not understand that the same things could be achieved with less joints?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

none of the connections on that ABS unit are unnecessary.
            it's just a result of the anti drainback residual valves.
            those valves are pretty critical if you want to ride track curbs.

What the frick do you mean "OEM stuff"?
            What the frick are you talking about barbs, those AN fittings still have barbs they just have another 3 or 4 extra unnecessary connections ONTOP of that........

An fittings can have a simple barb as a connection point.
            or push-lock.

You're still dickriding banjo fittings, if they were in any way superior, race teams would use them everywhere. The ability to slap an AN fitting onto literally fricking anything is part of it's popularity. Barb fittings can handle a turbo oil feed, push lock soft line will easily take 150-300+ psi, more than enough for anything short of power steering.

non crimp or non compression lines arn't really safe in anything above basic fuel pressure lines.
            I use 10an push-loc fittings for a catch can, but that operates at sub 1 psi.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Push-lock AN is quite literally rated for pressures well above any standard fuel system. Saying they're not safe within their own ratings is wild.

[...]

Flexible line should be kept to an absolute minimum with abs systems

You're truly moronic and don't know what modern fittings, lines, etc are capable of.

Not everything can be one single connection, fitment, use-case, and serviceability are all factors. You don't wrench so you can't grasp this.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Wqhg9sg.jpeg

the AN fittings itself is very simple.
      that ABS unit just has a lot of fittings due to the anti drainback valves.
      it's actually very simple.
      any moron can assemble that.

Flexible line should be kept to an absolute minimum with abs systems

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

modern high quality PTFE lines can be used in place of Hard lines.
        pro tip: almost no race car uses hard lines.
        .t aerospace mechanic and avid car racer.

that's exactly what I have moron.
        10mm bubble to 3an
        --
        3an to 3an female coupler
        --
        res valve.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>"I do have one fitting"
          >goes on to describe having more than one fitting

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Poojeet hands typed made this thread.

All I can say is getgud homosexual

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

not a very convincing argument if I'm honest

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think it's a boomer thing. AN makes sense for high pressure stuff like an oil cooler or fuel injection lines, but some of these tards will use braided stainless AN for radiator hoses and crankcase ventilation.
    Imagine a radiator hose that costs $80 and weighs 6 pounds.

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another pic of when I was switching lines to pushlock

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *