What is the slampig of SUV's I could tow with?

What is the slampig of SUV's I could tow with? I want to buy a cheap shitter to do some light towing with, and WJ's aren't meme priced yet vs shit like GMT800's. I don't care if it's ideal, just want it to be cheap.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Early 00s Ford Explorers. Beef Supremes.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Unironically a v8 Wrangler with a manual. Actually, anything with a manual transmission. Trust me. When you're towing, you want a manual. Hell, a Suburban is good, so is a Tahoe. Even a Blazer can tow. Basically anything that has a solid transmission can tow. If I were you, I'd grab an F150 with a 4.6 v8 and there ya go. Perfect all around vehicle. If the transmission blows, you can just put a 5 speed manual one in from a Mustang.

As long as it isn't the 5.4L v8 because that motor can be garbage. It took me 2 days one time to get the siezed plugs out of it. Damn near blew my fricking back out, and I'm young.

>GMT800
      what are you smoking, weed-smelling gmt800 shitboxen can be had for nothing

>can be had for nothing
      You know what else can be had for pennies? GMC Savanna and other utility vans. Those things can tow. Not that you need to tow when you have all that cargo space.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>v8 Wrangler
        You guys keep missing the point, it has to be shit no one wants.
        >just buy (insert most desirable engine transmission combo of a desirable vehicle

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

crown victoria, it tows like a truck

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I had a Grand Marquis, but rust killed it,

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nissan R51 Pathfinders and Armadas/QX56s

Half the idiots out there think they have cvts and not the transmission from a frontier / Titan

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I use a WJ lol
    Just get one with the L6

• 2 weeks ago
      Daddy p

Thpose are comfy af just make sure to get cloth seats, not a reliable as the sequoia tho

the 4.7 has twoce the hp n torque of the i6, so no.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your loss. I’ve towed 4000 lbs with mine and just hit 310k miles.

• 2 weeks ago
          Daddy p

that's cute, 4.7 tows 7,000lbs

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you wont have a nice time with 4.7, 4.0 is tried and true if you want slam pig to get 8.1 gm junk or 7.3 idi and quit dicking around with suv to tow
            CAPTCHA:XJRAM2 more like XJ ram you fricker.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He's probably telling the occasional 3000lb project car not backhoes and horses

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

That is basically what I would be doing, maybe a 2 ton car but it'd basically be a single one way trip.
            Part of the appeal of the WJ is the 4.0 for me. I'd buy whatever's as clean as possible, so if it was a 5.7 I wouldn't complain.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I had to make this decision

See:

Nissan R51 Pathfinders and Armadas/QX56s

Half the idiots out there think they have cvts and not the transmission from a frontier / Titan

Buy a 2010+ to avoid timing chain + radiator milkshake issues. Then the worst you gotta deal with is stupid shit like the radio never saving the memory/clock settings, plastic heater hose joint (dorman part is $120), a valvebody solenoid sticking/shitting itself worst case its the TCM which still sucks, and wear items like balljoints/ujoints/wheel bearings (all very easy to do on these trucks)

Pathfinder is good to 6000lbs

Armada/QX to 9000lbs.

Get airbags ($100) and replace the shocks since theyre probably blown and it'll be fine.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I'm trying to cast as large of a net as possible, my requirements are in total: don't have rust and be cheap.
            How bad are the pre 2010's, I don't care if I have to do work on it, since I'm basically expecting that from 20+ year old Chrysler products for $4000 or less.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Timing chain issues are more common but it's fine if you find a lower mileage one. Nissan updated the tensioner and guides in 2010 so after that year they're a lot less prone. The timing chain issues only apply to the VQ40 trucks. It's not like a Ford 5.4 3v, it's a lot easier to deal with. VK56 is strong like bull and will have no issues other than chugging fuel.

Also watch for cats clogging. Nissan Parts Puller sells a aftermarket cat kit. These trucks use exhaust gas reversion for emissions in lieu of EGR so when they clog the cats they chunk them shortly after and ingest cat material scoring the cylinders. That's why they can have a rep of burning oil.

$4000 can find you a Armada or a higher mileage Pathfinder. What I like about Nissan trucks is the sheetmetal is a hell of a lot better than anything American. It's the ONE thing that Nissan really excelled at for some reason, they get rear subframe rust but it's rare (more common in the Euro Pathfinders and Navaras cause Nissan of Spain used different metal).

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

wj are great towpigs and the shit part of them is all the comfort crap added to them, they can still tow with all that failed.

thats cute, 2,7crdi tows 7500 just like 4,0 and 4,7 in europe. 4,0 guy is correct, its the most bulletproof wj and plenty enough power. then again our wj's are made in austria so quality is probably 1000x better.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

1st gen expedition, iirc all are 5.4 with the 4r100, jellybean body looks like ass and no one wants them, a lot more beef than the gmt800 variety

>42rle
      ngmi

4.7 and 1st gen hemi are garbage, avoid
      afaik a 4l80 isnt difficult to swap in nor does it require reprogramming for a gmt800 1500

If you tow with a WJ you deserve the painful, deadly crash you'll be in shortly after you hook up any trailer over 1500lb.

Their brakes suck, the transmissions suck, the 6cyl can't get the unladen car up to speed let alone with a trailer. Cough up the money for a Suburban or Exploder or something, or just have a nice day if you're seriously too poor for that.

its flimsy, and idk what trans coolet setup towgays use but the 545rfe gets hot towing pretty much nothing. don't tow with a unibody

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dodge caravan.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Wrong answer. Dodge caravans are notorious for transmission failure. Towing strains the transmission. Do NOT tow with a Caravan or a T&C

5. 2 weeks ago
    gonster

>GMT800
    what are you smoking, weed-smelling gmt800 shitboxen can be had for nothing

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Uh, no.
      GMT800's that are twice as much as the average GJ around here have 300,000 miles, don't have rear quarters, rockers and are roached.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I would still trust the clapped the frick out GM over a fricking Jeep. There's a reason why they command prices like that.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

I've dealt with rusty cars, I don't want rusty cars.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

So why would you even think of a unibody Jeep?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Because oddly enough I've seen an odd number that actually aren't rusty.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Look closer. Most of these rotted away decades ago.

• 1 week ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I have 3 XJs from the 90s with no rust and I didn’t even seek out rust free ones, they’re just like that

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Depends on your location but that's definitely not a thing in the rust belt.

• 1 week ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Well yeah it’s literally called the rust belt
            Why the frick would you live there?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I'll take rust over undesirables any day.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>living near brown people
            ishygddt

• 1 week ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I don't live near any people, I'm in the middle of nowhere surrounded by white people and farms and horses and have a well and acres of land

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I was bidding on one at the auto auction 3 days ago that had no rust underneath, didn't sell for much. Compared to total built, there are a lot more chebbies, but nearly all of them are roached. Most Jeeps are too, but I've seen more clean ones in the price range than GMT's. I suspect a rust free GMT at similar mileage is probably at 10k at this point here.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Early 00s Ford Explorers
    I'd go with No on those. While the 3rd gens may be BoF they've got that weak-sauce 5R55 transmission in both the V6 and V8's. I'll take a 545RFE over one of those any day. In Exploders you'll want the 2nd gen with the 5 liter and AODE (aka 4R70) but they're almost gone now since everybody has been using them for winter beaters since the 2000's. If somebody does have one in good shape then they kno what they got

About the only two things I'm not thrilled with for towing on a WJ is the short wheelbase and the rear axle upper locating arm. It's only connected to the axle with one ball joint. Better for articulation but not so good for axle wrap under torque or anti-sway under tow. It's almost like Jeep tried to make this thing off-road capable at the expense of other capabilities but nah, they wouldn't do that /s

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The other problem with them is awful wheel bearing issues and U-Haul immediately turning you away because it has Explorer in its name. Id sooner try to pick up a 2v Expedition (1997-2003) or 1st Gen Navigator

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

My 05 liberty had the same setup and it was decent for a DD, suprisingly nimble but chattered like a b***h when worn down

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Hemi Aspen
    >ugly
    >cheap
    >bulletproof
    >surprisingly comfy
    >7,200-8,900 lbs

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Holy frick that's ugly, even for a chrysler

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's the looker of the twins, check out the Durango of the same vintage. But still, body on frame, 5.7 Hemi and indestructible Benz 5-speed

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I didn't even realize they existed. I must have memory holed post 1st gen Durangos/2nd gen Dakotas.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

there are some moronic anons here that enjoy causing berenstain effects by blaming random iterations of the chrysler corporation for the mistakes of their forebears much like how people blame obama for shit bush did and trump for shit obama did, like saying stellantis made the fricking 68 charger i saw the other day

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Chrysler was hitting the sauce hard in the 00'sryj4tt

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/VhtVOal.jpeg

It's the looker of the twins, check out the Durango of the same vintage. But still, body on frame, 5.7 Hemi and indestructible Benz 5-speed

>Early to Mid 2000s FCA garbage

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

fca didn't exist and these platforms were actually from before mercedes, there's still a 1st gen durango under that ugly body

ironically a hot contender for one of the best looking suvs of all time

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

2nd Gen Durangos/Aspens are a 05-09 Ram 1500 SWB underneath which is why they're so hefty.

They're great trucks just prone to really bad rust issues

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>FCA
        zoomers out

I didn't even realize they existed. I must have memory holed post 1st gen Durangos/2nd gen Dakotas.

>I must have memory holed post 1st gen Durangos/2nd gen Dakotas.

This is a good way of doing things, though the last-gen Durangos are legit, even if 7400 lbs is a little lightweight

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Any pre-2010 range rover should do the trick.

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Your cheap shitter is gonna be expensive to own. Buy a Cruiser and keep it oiled underneath and you can likely sell it for more than you paid for it.

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I'll save a new thread.
    In the mean time, I installed a hitch on my Accord.
    I am a brainlet, what adapter do I need to get to get the ball up to the correct height for a small utility trailer, lets say the 4x8 harbor freight one for example?

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

can't go wrong with a XJ. i have a 99 XJ and its been a workhorse. stupid simple to work on, a frickton of parts since they are popular, and a frickton of aftermarket stuff for it.
    i've been restoring mine since i got some more money. redoing everything since its 25 years old and its been a breeze to work on. i just finished putting a 3 inch lift on it.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

muh xj. i don't understand how anyone can not like an xj.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

99 was arguably the best year for the Cherokee. I have a 00. Wish I did more research on them before I bought it as the 00-01 years have issues with the heads cracking. I got it for a grand though and it was dropped off at my house so I can't complain that much.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

yeah its a real shame they cheapened out on the 4.0l with the 2000 - 2001 model year. you really have to make sure you use good quality oil, change rigorously, and make sure you keep that radiator clean with good fluid. the 2000 - 2001 4.0 will be fine as long as it stays within the 210 temperature mark. oh and make sure your electric fan is fully functional. it plays a massive role in preventing overheating. there is a mod for the xj's where you can create a electric fan override so that you can turn it on at will, and not wait for the computer to kick it on or running the ac to turn it on. they cannot go above it like the pre-2000 models.
          though there are benefits to having a 2000-2001 xj. no more distributor. coil packs instead.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

XJ's have meme value, that's why I have made no mention.

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

If you tow with a WJ you deserve the painful, deadly crash you'll be in shortly after you hook up any trailer over 1500lb.

Their brakes suck, the transmissions suck, the 6cyl can't get the unladen car up to speed let alone with a trailer. Cough up the money for a Suburban or Exploder or something, or just have a nice day if you're seriously too poor for that.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

If some wop from Staten Island can tow cars to the track and back on an XJ, I can take a project 60 miles back roads. Didn't ask for opinions, don't care.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>xj
        Which is not the same as a WJ. Please have a nice day immediately for being this moronic.
        >don't care
        But here you are begging for my attention. Call me Daddy if you want me to keep giving you my attention.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

> >If you tow more than 1500lbs in a WJ you're gonna have a bad time
          >Well I tow less than that, in a different car, so THERE!

Anon, could you please post your suicide video?

>vehicle that has the same powertrain or better (5.7)
          >bigger, heavier, newer design
          >rated from the factory nearly 2500 pounds over an XJ's capacity
          >people tow relatively heavy loads with an XJ for what it is
          >someone tows comparable loads with a WJ
          >YOU'RE LITERALLY GONNA DIE
          You sound like a woman, do you have a single shred of evidence to back that up?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

i tow my two seadoos with my xj to the colorado river, from phoenix. in the middle of summer. absolutely no issues.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

> >If you tow more than 1500lbs in a WJ you're gonna have a bad time
        >Well I tow less than that, in a different car, so THERE!

Anon, could you please post your suicide video?

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Hey moron, you don't make words plural with apostrophes. It makes you look really stupid

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

W163 ML320/350/430/500/55

Dirt cheap, reliable, simple (as far as Mercs are) and capable. Just don't jump in expecting a luxurious interior and you will be okay.

They can easily go over 250k miles if you aren't brain dead about maintenance.

15. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

3/4 ton SUBURBAN is your answer OP

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

A 1/2 ton can be good too, if you change the transmission fluid and watch the temperatures. Or get one of the 90s ones that doesn't have enough power to break the transmission in the first place

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *