What the frick is the point of these bullshit bolt types besides making me buy even more sockets to do the same exact job a hex could have?

What the frick is the point of these bullshit bolt types besides making me buy even more sockets to do the same exact job a hex could have? Why are yuros obsessed with using everything except standard hex bolts, especially internal hex and torx bolts which are terrible about stripping compared to external hex because there's less surface area for the socket to grab for the same thread size? And don't even get me started on fricking moronic ass lug bolts.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've literally never cammed out an internal torx or seen one stripped out but I have seen people strip out internal hex bolts many times. most of the suspension hardware is hex, the torx stuff is mostly little accessories and the triple squares are stuff you almost never touch on the engine or transmission.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

stripping bolts is a skill issue.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>t. spoiled cuckifornian
      Right, and internal torx/hex take extra time care to not strip out than standard hex bolts do, which you can usually just blast right out no problem, but not internal ones which is my point.

I've literally never cammed out an internal torx or seen one stripped out but I have seen people strip out internal hex bolts many times. most of the suspension hardware is hex, the torx stuff is mostly little accessories and the triple squares are stuff you almost never touch on the engine or transmission.

>triple squares you almost never touch
      Not on VW/Audi. A handful that come to mind are the driver seat bolts for the cayenne/whatever else has the battery under the seat, front strut pinch bolts on A5 platform shitboxes and rear caliper bracket bolts on larger Audi SUVs. I also recall having to buy a tiny one for an audi A4 water outlet job to remove one of the metal pipes on top of the engine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

i live in the rust belt, and I know a bolts thats gonna strip just be looking at it from 10 feet away.
        use the correct tools, and you wont dig yourself into a hole.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>use the correct tools, and you wont dig yourself into a hole.
          Which would be far easier if yuro c**ts didn't make you buy another special tool for every one of the 35 extra steps their moronic designs add over the way a sane person would have designed it. Again, my earlier point.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

first time working on a car?
            cant afford to buy the correct tools?
            actually complaining about buying new tools

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

the only thing you have to be sure with on torx is that the bit is exactly the right size. you can usually get several different sizes of Philips out with a #1, but eventually you'll have the same issue as torx. the way a phillips is made though, you can actually completely wreck the thing and still get some kind of engagement.
    given the correct bit for the fastener a torx handles way more torque than nearly any other drive. but if you frick up once you're gonna have a bad day, because either your fastener or your bit will be ruined

fortunately they're not usually used in super high torque situations and also come on hex heads. the b***hing about them seems overblown.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

ideally, internal bolts are used in places with restricted space because external sockets are just bigger

and if you must use a couple internal sockets because of that restricted space then you would want to keep it uniform and continue using the internal sockets in multiple places so that you can use the same tool for assembling multiple things (we don't care about disassembly in the field, not my problem)

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>ideally, internal bolts are used in places with restricted space because external sockets are just bigger
      Then why is nearly every torx socket like 2-3 inches long? I had to go out of my way to find a set of stubby ones that could actually fit in cramped spaces.

first time working on a car?
      cant afford to buy the correct tools?
      actually complaining about buying new tools

>just buy the special tools goy! Nevermind that if we had used a normal bolt head you wouldn't have had to.
      No, have a nice day schlomo.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

i bet you use philips instead of frearson
        dont fricking reply to me you filthy casual

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>frearson
          sure do

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Then why is nearly every torx socket like 2-3 inches long
        Not arguing about it I hate torx too cause they always break but you can hammer the bit out of the socket and use a 1/4 inch wrench, or 10 mil or whatever

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

5th owner, 150k mile e90 poster detected

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Best part about torx is I can hammer one into a blown out internal hex and it works.

Worst part is grabbing a bunch of sizes like phillips or flathead to see which fits the best.

Also, frick security torx. I really should put those sockets/keys somewhere else so I don't accidentally grab them.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

iirc these deliver the torque better compared to the usual hex head, phillips etc. or something like that.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It seems either you are poorgay or buy some expensive brand. Either case, change your habits

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Triple square is actually a great fastener, lots of surface area for the tool to grip onto means you can use a smaller bolt head without fear of stripping

That said, I've been replacing many of the fasteners on my motor with more conventional hex or allen. Like wtf why does the motor use 8mm, 10mm, 12mm tripple square, 5 and 6 allen, t30, t25, and then 10, 13, 16, 27 hex??? For example the 6mm allen is only used for two bolts for the timing cover and while space is tight 13mm hex fits fine

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My last car was a fwd VAG shitheap, my current is rwd with a J- VIN, I love the reminder from threads like this that I made the right decision. The only engine out/trans out job is a blown engine or trans, and I haven't had to buy a single new tool in five years of fricking with it. I know they get memed but there's a reason. Stop buying cars from manufacturers who deliberately shit on you.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *