What to look for in a small unibody SUV?

Got a friend who wants to buy a unibody SUV with AWD. (I know) Given those constraints, is there any reason to buy something other than a Rav4? They're trying to keep it under 30k, which means they'll probably need to buy used. Are there years of Rav4 to look out for? Is the CX-5 just as good? Are there any other brands I should be aware of?

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

subaru outback or whatever the other one is called

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Tessie MY

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That class of vehicle is hot garbage. Get a used v6 Highlander. Tons of space and if you're not beating on the throttle it'll get pretty much the same mpg

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's a cuckover. Notice the painted on ground clearance and the actual 4 inches of sedan tier clearance.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Basically any year of RAV4 is fine, withstanding oil consumption around 05 to 09 in 4 cyls. Money might be better spent going for a Highlander, but you have the right idea sticking with Toyota.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Thanks for the real answer anon. It looks like the current Rav4 engine hasn't been refreshed in a while. Got to be a good sign.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If that’s what you’re looking for there’s nothing at all wrong with an X1. Wife has one and it at least feels like you’re driving something made with care and thought.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Based. It’s basically an actually useful and not basedface-looking Mini Countryman.
      Fun to drive at all?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How is it any more or less useful than literally any other cross over?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It breaks down every week so you have an excuse to skip work.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Not more “useful,” just nothing wrong with it and it feels somewhat less sad than a Japanese or American car of comparable price.

It breaks down every week so you have an excuse to skip work.

I dunno, anon, the B48 engine has a pretty good reputation.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What is "wrong" with any of the dozens of other reliable and efficient crossovers?
            Feels "less sad" doesn't make a lot of sense to me, isn't it the most turbo cucked bmw you can buy? I'd call that pretty "sad".

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I think you’re overestimating my enthusiasm about the wifemobile, anon.
            I think it’s more tasteful looking than other crossovers, the interior is made of decent materials and doesn’t rattle. Can’t say that about a Chevy Traverse or a Rav

Based. It’s basically an actually useful and not basedface-looking Mini Countryman.
            Fun to drive at all?

>Fun to drive at all?
            Meh. It’s a crossover. Feels a lot more stable in turns than the few others I’ve driven but I’m hardly an authority.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had a Rav4 and didn't like it, had transmission issues and blew struts early in its lifetime. The CRV is also a competitor but my friend had one that had wiring issues, that one was much older than my Rav4 having major expense issues at only 40k miles though. Mazda is killing it on cost to features ratio, I'm giving them a shot next. Subaru is always an option but they're so fricking slow and inherently less reliable since they all have CVTs and boxer engines. My theory is the reason they underpower them so much is to not blow out the CVT and head gaskets as early, but be ready for it once the warrant period is up...

Pisses me off that Goyota put a CVT in the Corolla Cross, that would be on my next purchase radar too but those every CVT is planned obsolescence as far as I'm concerned. As a brand they're cucking out unfortunately, their new shit doesn't have that legendary reliability 90s Toyotas used to have. I've had 2 Toyotas and both were horrible ownership experiences. My Prius is having more major issues than my first car which was a high mileage Nissan Sentra. Also has transmission issues, thing sounds like it's gonna blow up soon and yes I properly maintained my trans with OEM fluid.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Toyota CVT
      Eh, probably the only CVT I’d buy yet. Toyota hasn’t ever pulled a reliability boner as far as I know or at least remember in my lifetime.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Jeep XJ.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buick enclave

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>is there any reason to buy something other than a Rav4?
    A CX5 has a signigicantly better interior and arguably drives better if you care about that sort of thing in a CUV.
    Honda Pilot probably has the most storage/cargo space in that class.
    One of the Korean brands will probably be cheaper.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Honda Pilot probably has the most storage/cargo space in that class.
      Honda Pilot is an 8-seater it's not in the RAV4/ CX-5 / CRV class.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>CX5 has a signigicantly better interior and arguably drives better if you care about that sort of thing in a CUV.
      Yep. Another one that’s just a little less sad to drive than the rest.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>One of the Korean brands will probably be cheaper
      And shittier

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>unibody
    >SUV
    This thing?
    I mean it was kinda neat but most of them rusted out.
    AFAIK that was the last unibody SUV on the market.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

At least in burger parlance “SUV” and “crossover” are two different things.

https://i.imgur.com/4Kiokq2.jpeg

Got a friend who wants to buy a unibody SUV with AWD. (I know) Given those constraints, is there any reason to buy something other than a Rav4? They're trying to keep it under 30k, which means they'll probably need to buy used. Are there years of Rav4 to look out for? Is the CX-5 just as good? Are there any other brands I should be aware of?

CX5 has much more stability and driving fun than anything else. The BMW X-series has the typical BMW brittleness to the suspension from what I hear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *