What's better: the lowest trim of an expensive car, or the highest trim of a cheap car?

What's better: the lowest trim of an expensive car, or the highest trim of a cheap car? Assuming they're the same price.

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    civil engineering stud

The 'pilled answer is "it depends". Not all base models are equal, for example Germans are infamous for making otherwise basic equipment an option so you used to get Mercedes cars without power windows for example.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My mom just bought a 2018 CLA 250. Imagine my surprise to see a 2018 Mercedes-Benz equipped with halogen headlight bulbs. I know it's just a CLA but, like, how?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

German manufacturers make everything optional. It would make more sense for them to reduce the variety of parts to save costs but they really do want poors to show off that they're poor.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

a CLA is not a luxury car my dude. It competes with civics and other junk

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If

My mom just bought a 2018 CLA 250. Imagine my surprise to see a 2018 Mercedes-Benz equipped with halogen headlight bulbs. I know it's just a CLA but, like, how?

's mom had bought a VW group car, it might not have come with powered rear windows or automatic air conditioning in its lowest spec.
      With some of their cars, you may need to bump the trim level several times before you can even choose features like adaptive cruise control. By then the car probably costs over 1.5x its base price, and you may still need to pay extra for the ACC feature itself.

2. 3 weeks ago
    civil engineering stud

[...]

>blatant falseflagging
    You're a burger aren't you?

• 3 weeks ago
      Your name

Hey bud! I think you should consider tripping up, this makes it more difficult for people to impersonate you because now your name will be associated with a tripcode!
      To tripcode, all you have to do is put a * after the name you type and enter a password. For extra security, you can put two *'s. I've done it with this post to show what it should look like after you post it!
      Hope this helps, and have a great day!

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the expensive car is still going to be much more expensive than the cheap one. I would say neither, get a mid tier car with no options

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Midrange or high end
    Low end has a bunch of blanks drives me nuts had several low ends hate them mainly the build quality and interior

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The thinking man's answer will always be the lowest trim on the cheap car.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What two cars are you comparing?
    You have to go out of your way to get a poverty-spec vehicle now, like you can get a base model sentra and have manual windows but I don't think any corolla/civic/mazda3/the korean deathtraps will torture you to that extent even in lowest trim.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you can pump billions of dollars into a cheap car and it will stay a "cheap car"

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it depends on what you want
    >good build quality, low NVH, good ride/handling balance
    buy the lowest trim of a more expensive car
    >raw speed/power, lots of tech gadgets and features
    buy the highest trim of a cheaper car

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A4 Audi is a much better build than a high trim VW. Everything about from material to design is better. So I’d say get a low trim nice car.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends if the expensive car has AC and cruise control or not.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

my dad has a poverty spec w211
    its shit, basically a bigger shitbox, 0 comfort features except AC lol
    it sucks, its slow, it rattles and squeks, rides like shit.
    I had a really well equipped same year 1 series with auto everything - lights, wipers auto dimming rear view mirror, had parking sensors, fricking puddle lights on door handles, sport multifunction steering wheel, CC, AC, etc..
    it was a comfy little thing

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It really depends, but often it's the highest trim of the cheaper car. Automakers are REALLY good at cheapening out to make anyone who wants X car pay more for options to make it livable. They don't make much profit on the base model but they charge you way more than their cost for options, so they reel you in with a low base MSRP but then nobody wants that trim because it's so bad.

The MSRP of a base 2004 Grand Prix was $22k. Mine was $31k which upped the 200HP V6 to a supercharged 260HP, better suspension, heated leather, power seats, cruise control, HUD, 9 speaker 245W Monsoon system with 6 CD in-dash changer, 17 inch wheels, performance diff, sunroof, fog lights, and Magnasteer II.

That price would've brought it to about the level of a 184HP 325i with cloth, 16's, and it may have even still had a tape player at that point. (my 1998 Z3 does.)
    Did the 325i have some things going for it to make it worth starting at around $30k? Yes. Would you want to drive a stripped down one for 20 years? Probably not.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>They don't make much profit on the base model but they charge you way more than their cost for options, so they reel you in with a low base MSRP but then nobody wants that trim because it's so bad.
      But if the options are overpriced compared to how much they cost to manufacture, the best value for the customer is the lowest trim

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Its almost as if Trim levels are one of the reasons why Teslas sell well.
    You go in, pick if you want 4x4 or not... and you get offered a car currently in inventory transit.

Some of the OEM levels to do it just frickin silly.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lowest trim of best car
    its just trim so body and critical mechanical components should be same quality. cheaper car with best trim is still going to use same crap quality technology just looking more fancy

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are highest trims ever really worth it compared to the mid trims? It's usually 5-8k more for leather seats, premium sound system and maybe some niche items like matrix lights or memory seats.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The only trims worth considering are differences in engine, gearbox, and diff.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Are highest trims ever really worth it compared to the mid trims? It's usually 5-8k more for leather seats, premium sound system and maybe some niche items like matrix lights or memory seats.

n-line and s-line and any other -line cars are ultimate filters

no performance upgrades, just badges and maybe trim work

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

not a good question as trims are determined by the manufacturer. some cars have very minimal changes between the top and the low trim while others have worlds of differences that can even change the dynamics of the car. also are we just implying that it is the same vehicle with the same engine, or is that included with the 'trim', because the RC and RCF are the "same" car but also different cars

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends, but Id rather be in a stripper model 2 Series than a fully loaded Acura for example.
    Why? The BMW is a proper sporty RWD chassis and the Acura is a cucked FWD pseudo-luxury Civic.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This has to be bait

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

can your Integra Type S do this?
        https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tA-JgBj4sgY

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

When I was in a bad place and thinking about selling my car, I told my dad I was thinking about a base model new Mazda3. He got angry and told me that I deserved better than baseline trims. I think he's right.

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Same price? The high trim cheap car. Base model "premium" leaves a lot of shit on the table to try and get more money out of you

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *