What's the best minivan that can be had under $5k?

What's the best minivan that can be had under $5k?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

none, stop being a total virgin and get a suburban instead

also im pretty sure all those 2000s minivans had troony issues since they were essentially just a fwd midsize sedan drivetrain but forced to carry 5000lbs of lard asses around which means they all blew up before 100k

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>suburban
      Are those cheap? What about a GMT810?

wtf is with this market where people can pay $5k cash for a 20 year old minivan?

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Someone find me something within a 100 mile radius of Orlando. I have no idea what troonys work or not. mpg doesnt matter to me

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I just bought picrel a few weeks ago. Here's my breakdown of the shitbox minivan market:
    Sienna: After 2007 they have a timing chain. You won't get one with a clean title for $5k. The older siennas are reliable, but pretty basic. They're all overpriced.
    Odyssey: Apparently some of them have transmission issues, but I would feel comfortable buying one. They don't go for as much as the siennas. Nice interior, but many don't have captain's chairs for the center row, which I prefer.
    Chevy Venture: The 3.4 doesn't seem to be a very reliable engine. You can get AWD models for pretty cheap though, if you care about the AWD meme.
    Caravan/Town & County/VW Routan: The 3.3 and 3.8 have a timing chain and are highly reliable. It's one of the very few times Chrysler made a reliable engine. For $4k I got a fully loaded town & country that is really nice inside. Power doors/tailgate, heated seats, DVD system, etc. Don't even consider a 5th gen with the pentastar engine because they're so unreliable.
    Astro: It was the most dangerous car produced in the 90s/00s. Abysmal crash test ratings. Death is certain.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Chrysler made a lot of reliable engines. Wtf are you on about?

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Under 5k? In this economy? Good fricking luck finding one that isn't ridden with bed bugs. Your only sellers are going to be Gen Xers who just sent their last kids out of the house or millennials trying to sell a problem van they never maintained to someone else. You MIGHT find one owned by some old boomer couple with a wheelchair lift in the back for like 9k, the only bonus being that it might not smell like shitty diapers and dog hair. After trying for 7 months preceding the birth of our fourth child to find a used van for under 8k that was worth a shit I gave up and just got a second car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

the one that still runs and has AC at those prices, which is unlikely

IDC about AC. Also I can afford more than $5k but just wanna keep upfront costs low. Would a V8 SUV from the early 2000s be a better option? I only need to drive like 4 miles everyday. Biking is not an option

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

What are exactly are you going to be using the car for?
        Why a minivan?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I just need space and comfortable interior, anon.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I just need space
            that's what my ex wife said

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I just need space and comfortable interior, anon.
            >IDC about AC
            No interior is comfortable without AC unless you live somewhere that is under 85°F all year and never experiences rain.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the one that still runs and has AC at those prices, which is unlikely

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Ok bros, I'm between a Sienna or 1999-2006 Tahoe/Yukon. Which one is usually the better bang for the buck?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

transition would be cheaper

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

VW Sharan 1.9 TDI

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Dang, beat me to it
      Bonus points if Ford badges

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

VW Sharan 1.9 TDI

>Eternal and frugal 1,9 TDI even in the Fords
        >rest is mostly Passat, no surprises or hard to find bits
        >5/6 speed manny, AWD optional
        >all 5 seats for 2nd and 3rd row are identical and can be placed independently
        >actually not that much of a barge
        >you can buy driveable and registered examples for 2k
        solid choice for the money but visibility around the front end is ass, and I wouldn't bother with petrol engines except for the 1,8t

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

> I wouldn't bother with petrol engines except for the 1,8t
          Galaxy was available with a 3.0 (2.8?) v6 and four wheel drive from one of the Sierra (car) models, those were quite good fun.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That was a VAG VR6. The only Ford engines were the 2,0 and 2,3 DOHC.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

?
            https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/galaxy/estate-1995/28-v6-ghia-5d-(7-seat)/specs/

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That's the one, 2,8 VR6. Or what was your point here?

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

09 gc 3.8 with 177k, burns and leaks oil, makes weird noises over bumps, weird electrical issues from time to time. idk how but this fricking thing just keeps going, thought for sure id get like 6 months out of it, that was 6 fricking years ago. the reason they get a bad rap is because dumb ass sahm's never check the oil and burn them up.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Odysseys are cheap. You can get them 500-1000 bucks for a rough one that runs.
    Engine: Nearly bullet proof, but the timing belt will certainly need to be changed. Don't cheap out on the kit, I've seen Duralast hydraulic timing belt tensioners fail on Honda J-series engines.
    Transmission: Not so great, check fluid condition. Black = Stay away. Brown = Salvagable. Red/Pink = Either really bad or really good. If it flares between shifts, don't take it. Listen for hearing noise. Make sure you get the trans fluid up to temp during your test drive.
    You should be able to get a nice one for $3K.
    >But wait... there's more
    The blacksheep 1st gen Odyssey (1994-98). It had a bullet proof 4 cylinder F22 engine and an automatic transmission that isn't known to have any issues. If you can find one in good shape, get it. It's slower but it offers plenty of torque to move things with.
    Once again, do the timing belt on these. These use spring-loaded tensioners so you don't have to worry about hydraulic ones going flaccid on you.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

are any years better than others 04-10?

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Friend buys a Town and Country Chrysler van for family
    >Engine cracks at 100k miles
    >Mouth off to him saying I wish he told me sooner before he bought that piece of shit
    >Haven't heard from him since.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>What's the best minivan that can be had under $5k?
    Kia Sedona. If you can spend more, Toyota Sienna. Around the 15 year mark it's those two.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I mean let's be honest, european engineering and design is obviously superior to what these mutts are cobbling together.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

yeah

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Dodge in a new skinsuit

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

What's funny is the Routan cost more new than the grand caravan and town and country did, but had less features. It was quickly cut from the VW roster.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/g9nmF1R.jpeg

I mean let's be honest, european engineering and design is obviously superior to what these mutts are cobbling together.

based eurochads

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yo how much should I ofter for this with 125k? I like the look of it but the price is steep

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If it's in good shape with maintenance records, 4.2K is fair to me

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

However much you're willing to pay anon.

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mazda 5 manual

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>What's the best minivan that can be had under $5k?
    A second-generation Toyota Sienna with hail damage.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *