What's the worst financial decisions you've seen from car enthusiasts?

I got a friend picking up a new used car on Sunday. It's a 2013 v6 charger, base model.
Thing has 80,000 miles on it and he's already 19,000 into it. He's 17. Also 13% interest on his loan.

I mean, I tried to tell him not too.

Anyone else seen some really stupid ass shit?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

If I see a Dodge Charger/Challenger I just assume the person driving it is in debt up to their ears by default.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ironically, I do as well. I own a 2012 Challenger R/T and put myself into pretty dire financial straits as an E-3 in the military to buy it new. I paid it off and cherish it, but most of the morons that own these cars can't help but trade up at every turn, putting themselves in debt over and over again. Most Hellcat owners I know traded a 392 they traded an R/T for to get it. They're two cars underwater on a third with an APR through the fricking ceiling. Some of these dipshits are rocking up to a 13.9% APR on their cars and they have the audacity to tell me I should trade mine for a higher trim, newer model.

Barring that, I run around in offroading circles and the sheer number of these people with 20k or more into a financed Jeep or 4Runner is staggering. They'll have a $700+/mo payment and dump more than that a month into parts. There's multiple people I know with more value in parts on their Jeeps than the total value of their loans they're actively paying. Twice, I've seen people total their financed Jeeps offroad and lose five figures worth of modifications on top of it.

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I don't need to look at what other people do. I make bad enough decisions on my own. Once I bought a brand new Evo and spent I don't even remember, probably 10k on new wheels, tires, exhaust, wrap, lights, tune, and then sold it 2 years later with only 6k miles. Right now I'm doing the same thing with a Mustang but I don't do wraps anymore. Bought it last year and looking to trade it in on a truck.

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

in college i knew a guy that would buy and sell cars seemingly twice a year. a couple shitboxes sure but most of them were jdm performance type cars like STIs, Evos, 350z, etc. over the course of our 4 years he went through at least 10 different cars, 3 of which he still has today. no idea how he got the funds to do that , but his bank account mustve had $12

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Drug money?
      Rich parents?
      Dad in IT that likes cars?

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

so it's his first loan, 13% is not great not terrible considering the current market
    And he put 19,000 down, or is that the total cost of the car?
    cause he could have gotten a 2015+ base Challenger for that. Hes kinda getting ripped off on a '13 but at least he's getting a ZF8.

80,000 miles on a pentastar is okay, it's a very good engine, trans probably could use a fluid change and keep in mind at about 150k the center driveshaft bearing is gonna shit itself.

Otherwise not the most moronic way to spend 20,000 dollars. Bro could be in a Kia.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The problem is that he probably bought from a buy here pay here. A 2013 is too old for most banks to finance, and a first purchase would make them even more iffy. Kid probably bought something clapped out for too much

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It's not impossible to get a bank loan for a car that old, credit unions will do it.
        But yeah he woulda been better off getting a newer model at a real dealership even if he had to finance a little more. That car shoulda been 12k at most.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Anything with financing, loaning, leasing or renting.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I can buy a fully paid off new R/T at 27. Should I do it?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

do it homosexual
      DA needs more mopar bros

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

No, you should buy a pre-2015 model and spend the rest on a supercharger, cam, and tune.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>pre-2015

disregard this man, 8HP is a requirement

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>auto is a requirement
          Only if you're a moron and get the V6.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

See

the charger doesn't come in manual

The Charger does not come with a manual transmission, moron. Chally man has you cooked.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yep.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You're just jealous that he's buying a car and so you came to vent here. Passive aggressive zombie zoomer

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>What's the worst financial decisions you've seen from car enthusiasts?
    Being a car enthusiast

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That's a lot of money to owe on a passenger car.
    It's it AWD at least?
    He could've probably grabbed a 5.7 V8 with a stick for about that much.
    Also Chargers are kinda aging like shit looks wise.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the charger doesn't come in manual

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Oh, I "overpaid" on a clapped out 6 speed Challenger during Covid and it was still around $15k.
        I don't plan on vehicle shopping again anytime soon so I haven't looked to hard.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I spent more than i care to admit on a cobalt ss that needed a significant amount more in repairs after i got it.
    I like it though.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

depends how much you paid, 50-60k mile focus st can be had for sub 20k in my area. Just bought one as my dog hauling grocery getter backup for a genesis coupe.

Still though cobalt ss is a fun beater, the turbo ss is criminally underated and the supercharged ss has a tvs 1320 blower upgrade option and makes nice wheeee noises.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>13% interest
    God I fricking wish. Must be nice to piggyback mom's good credit score.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I spend literally all my money on a M2 competition and I'm already struggling paying maintenance costs. But frickit, it's just beautiful and amazing to drive.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>be jdm gay
    >buy a 2004 celica with a tampered odometer for 2k
    >spend 1k on maintenance right after buying it
    >spend another 3k in the next two years keeping it running
    >congrats gay you spent 6k on a shitty slow cramped ricer car that breaks down every 3 months because it looks cool

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *