When can we expect solid state batteries in production cars?

When can we expect solid state batteries in production cars?
I think that'll be important for EVs more for longevity and safety than the range stuff

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Probably never. Solid state batteries have been perpetually 5-10 years away for the past 20 years. They're like the fusion power of batteries.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Modernity is so weird. How did we go from this to the ev hummer? Silly burger consumers

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Easier to see the transition if you put the H2 and H3 between

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Full size exterior
      >Microcar interior

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not even burgers want buzzboxes.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't know, when can we expect commercial fusion powerplants? Just 5 more years they said in 1970.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In fairness they said in five more years with x amount of funding and never got it

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They also promised to build a normal nuclear power plant for 4 billion in 5 years. Instead it became the world's #2 most expensive building for 20 years.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Olkiluoto-3 just started production after construction being started in 2005. Well, it's not running right now since it's spent months in maintenance causing electricitt prices to skyrocket because of lack of power.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Not any time soon. For batteries to be actually viable they would have to be able to absorb and discharge hundreds of times the current rates. It only takes a single EV to take down a entire ship. Now imagine something with way the frick more power density and what that will do if you piss it off. Making a working lab prototype is easy. Getting it safe enough for consumer shit is completely different.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I don't know, when can we expect commercial fusion powerplants? Just 5 more years they said in 1970.

Probably never. Solid state batteries have been perpetually 5-10 years away for the past 20 years. They're like the fusion power of batteries.

big oil shills seething today

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You will never be a woman

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

automobiles?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You know big oil still wins if EV's take over right? I don't think you realize how much oil it takes to make a new EV.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Takes about 60% more resources and energy to make an EV. But EVs are 3-4x as efficient as a pure ICE. This includes the cost of making fuel and cost of generating electricity and the efficiency of ice vs ev.
          So by 120k miles an ev has "break even" with an ice, and is less resource consuming (until the battery needs to be replaced)

Hybrids shit on EVs in this regard. By the time a hybrid needs its considerably cheaper battery replaced it will still be 50% ahead of an ICE, while EV batt swaps keep parity at best.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

By 120k miles it's time to throw away the EV and buy a new one. Can continue to drive the gas car for 3x as long. I don't care about your homosexual enviromental bullshit but even by your own ethos it doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

source?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My Volt with it's old battery tech has 156,000 miles and still works.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

yeah I'm a paid oil shill, not just someone who is tired of 65iq fricktards like you getting excited over every single press release over some lab created prototype that will never reach production. We've been seeing "the next big thing" headlines in battery tech since Li-ion was just breaking into the mainstream, which is probably longer than you have been alive judging by your zoomer-ass posting style.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Your argument is that battery technology is not progressing. Who is the real 65 IQ moron?

The only zoomer here must be you because anyone who has been sentient for more than a couple years has seen batteries improve 10 fold, to the point that EV's now have far more range than the average person needs, mobile phones last multiple days instead of multiple hours (while doing 100x more processing).

Battery powered electrification is basically taking over every powered product in the world. And you're here seething about how it's a global conspiracy by the libtards to make everything worse, when it actually makes everything better.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Batteries have a predictable and slow rate of improvement that is independent of the battery chemistry. This has held true for about the last hundred years. So we’ll need to wait decades for EVs to match ICE range, then decades more for it to make sense to switch for every other reason beyond range (weight, cost, pollution, etc)

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Energy density is just one part of the equation, EV's currently have enough range for 99% of people, the 1% of people who drive 800 miles without stopping or having 15 minutes spare to charge (but 5 minutes to gas up and piss) will just have to stay sitting on DA seething about how EV's will never make sense for anyone.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>EV's currently have enough range for 99% of people
            this is just changing the goalposts used in marketing speak to justify why EVs have inferior range (don’t even get me started on charging networks / not being able to charge during winter at home because it’s “too cold).

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

EV range isn't inferior if it gets you where you need to go the same as a gas car, but cheaper (and without having to go to a smelly gas station surrounded by Black folk)

only LARPers who pretend their life depends on having an 800 mile range vehicle (and then drive 20 miles a day) disagree

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You fail to realize that not everyone is a homosexual urbanite starbucks barista like you. You could just as easily ride the bus (who are we kidding you already do) but most people still aren't willing to put up with shit range and long recharge times. Life doesn't wait when you have important shit to do.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

like 80% of americans live in cities, EV's are perfect for them

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>it actually makes everything better.
            >no more loud engines that rumble inside my wiener and make me hard and cum on the dash
            It makes everything worse.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There is currently no mass production solid state electrolyte anywhere in the industry. A couple companies have claimed to be selling solid state batteries but none of their claims held up to scrutiny. It was just marketing hype to get attention.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In 2 weeks

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I miss the H2. I don’t want an EV until there is a reason to get one. I don’t understand making a heavy EV. This hummer is a toy.

9. 2 weeks ago
    READ ME

I think it will take another 10 years for solid state. But they're not gonna be groundbreaking. We have to move away from lithium ion as a battery substrate.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Id get a small cheap ev that i could use occasionally for errands. But the evs being produced are giant expensive af monstrosities. It's almost like they are phasing out the middle class.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Get a leaf they're dirt cheap used

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't hold your breath for it. We don't even have a working prototype of a rechargeable solid state battery.
    >inb4 but but but
    Rechargeable

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'd say about 2 more weeks.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nio launched their production solid state battery vehicles 5 months ago.
    Probably because Chinese EV companies don't have to care about patents owned by western oil companies.

That has been rumored to be the sticking point. DOD has had 500Wh/kg rechargeable solid-state batteries for drones now for years.
    The new cells are reported to be over 750Wh/kg but they won't fully disclose the details.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The chinks can have EVs. It suits them since they're mostly like an ant colony posing as a human society.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Gasoline is over 10,000Wh/kg... lmao 2 more weeks right lol.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Watching the way a lithium ion batteries burns in a fire I'd be terrified of a batter that had a tenth the energy density of gasoline. Its not just the energy density they need to work on its safety too.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

*over 10,000Wh/kg but at 20% efficiency

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Toyota’s atkins cycle engines are ~40% efficient, so roughly 16x as energy dense as batteries.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *