When people say that unibody cars are safer than body-on-frame, they cite that it's because unibody cars have crumple zones while BoF cars do not...

When people say that unibody cars are safer than body-on-frame, they cite that it's because unibody cars have crumple zones while BoF cars do not. But in reality, there is nothing stopping BoF cars from having crumple zones, and in fact most cars with a seperate chassis made after 1990 DO have crumple zones. Often the rhetoric that unibody cars are safer will deal with side-crash safety data, but invariably this glosses over that poor performance in this area by cars like the panther platform isn't due to engineering constraints, but by manufacturers simply not putting effort into that area of safety. There are plenty of examples of unibody cars with the same, if not worse side-crash safety, and often cited examples of how much safer unibody cars are tend to exclusively rely on examples that are the exception and not the norm.

In combination with BoF being more comfortable, more repairable, not prone to structural damage, generally easier to work on, and with this revelation in mind, not any less safe. The question then is why is unibody chosen for most cars? The simple fact of the matter is because:
A. Unibody tends to be a lighter construction, making it easier to meet regulations
B. Unibody is cheaper
C. With modern manufacturing methods, unibody construction is easier to mass manufacture and greatly simplifies the logistics chain (there was a time this wasn't true though)

As with all the other "anti-features" found in modern cars, the only reason your shitbox/"luxury" sedan is unibody is because of penny-saving measures made by the manufacturer. Thank you for reading.

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I aint readling all that

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/CcVZ349.jpg

unibody is a meme

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/CcVZ349.jpg

TLDR

Blah blah tldr anyway unibody is always better because its inherently stronger than BoF for the same reasons a comvertible is flimsy, crumple zones or not.

https://i.imgur.com/cLdikri.gif

tl;dr?

midwits when they have to read two paragraphs:

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Unigraphs are far superior to text-on-wall

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
  3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Blah blah tldr anyway unibody is always better because its inherently stronger than BoF for the same reasons a comvertible is flimsy, crumple zones or not.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

TLDR

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>it's inherently stronger than BoF
      nope. another misconception. there's a reason unibody trophy trucks do not exist.

anyways, while a monocoque chassis made out of carbon fiber might be more rigid than the average BoF passenger car, your toyota camry is not a koenigsegg. a higher polar moment and every other cope you can think up goes completely out the window the moment you remember your chassis is made out of sheet metal, giving your shitbox substantially lower torsional strength than something with a fully steel frame, 2-dimensional or not.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

commuter cars are specialized into fuel efficiency these days, and a major component to that now is weight.

a BoF car built to the same standards as a unibody car would be significantly heavier, or a stripped down frail tissue box to make up weight.
        and cars don't break every day, so reparability isn't some crushingly important issue that all other issues are compromised for.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

A unibody Lexus LS 600 is 5103lbs, while a BoF Lincoln Town Car (the heaviest of the panther platforms) is 4100lbs. Consider that the Town Car is a fair bit larger and has a larger engine and heavier transmission.

https://i.imgur.com/7VpoavI.jpg

Comparing a trophy truck to anything street legal
          It depends on what the manufacturer wants. A rigid body or something that can flex. Both can be achieved with BoF or unibody.

That's an unibody you fricking moron lmao

>That's a unibody
          Unibody is a very specific engineering term where in the body of the car has no underlying frame used for structural support, instead making no distinction structurally between the external hull and the internal structure. That is not a unibody, it's what's called space frame and has radically different structural properties and soft-body dynamics. Please go back to engineering school if you can't tell the difference at a glance.

Unibody lets the manufacturer make the car's frame/cabin in one piece which makes it all one rigid skeleton. BoF separates it which makes it easier to manufacture for heavier vehicles which need flex in some areas and rigidity in others. Overall, its easier to make a stronger single structure than join 2 strong structures together. Its also easier to make a single structure that stays in one piece than a structure made of 2 pieces that stays in one piece. Manufacturers use unibody construction because its a more lightweight and rigid design. A body on frame compact car would either weigh 1/3rd more than it should, or be far less safe than it should, because you need to account for a cabin separate from a frame and how they will both deal with energy transfer. Op is just a redneck who believes a true car is a truck with a car cabin

>Op is just a redneck who believes a true car is a truck with a car cabin
          I live in a medium-sized midwestern city and work as a software engineer for collins aerospace. BoF's advantages appeal to me because I like my daily driver to be as comfortable as possible, and I like the fact that if any of my body panels rust I can simply pop them off and replace them.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I like my daily driver to be as comfortable as possible, and I like the fact that if any of my body panels rust I can simply pop them off and replace them
            If you love smooth cushy suspension and body panels you can replace, you're gonna love a nice unibody sedan that has modern suspension technology that makes the car feel like it floats instead of bouncing, and something that has plastic panels that don't rust. It means literally nothing to be able to replace rusting panels when you
            A. Already have that on unibodies too
            B. Have to deal with structural rust on bof as well
            Its not like you can take off anything other than hood, fenders, bumpers, and doors on a bof car anyway. Also well sorted irs provides better ride than any solid axle since your left wheel isn't linked to your right. I'll say it again, bof is held in esteem from sentiment. There's more reasons than just cost cutting that every manufacturer has switched to unibody with irs. Weight and suspension layout affects ride far more than bof vs unibody. The differences in energy dispersion between bof and unibody are likewise minimal in comparison to the suspension they ride on

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>plastic panels that don't rust
            instead it traps moisture underneath where it then rusts there 😀

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

how are the plastic panels rusting?
            and does metal allow the moisture to permeate out instead?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

where it rusts whatever metal the plastic is attached to there

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

How would the plastic be rusting though?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

This moron has never owned a car that had plastic rocker covers.
            >trap 20 years of sand dirt, and salt between a impermeable plastic sheet piece and sheet metal
            >tada, no more rocker panels.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Ah yes I forgot that metal would allow that fluid and grit to permeate out of the vehicle

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You know that they sell cars that don't have rocker panel covers right?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

yeah, they suck because they rust so fast

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

it wouldn't, the metal underneath would which was what i meant in my first reply
            thank you for your understanding 🙂

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

My Town Car's air suspension is simultaneously easier to work on and more comfortable than whatever you have in mind, thanks. Nor does it "bounce", sounds like you need better dampers. Meanwhile the frame does a great job of isolating bumps in the road, a very distinct feeling that you simply don't get in a Unibody thanks to the "rigidity". Instead you have to cope with something like a Citroen DS's hydropneumatic suspension, which while certainly divine, would feel much better on a BoF I'm sure.
            >Have to deal with structural rust on bof as well
            You can both repair and replace a BoF's frame. good luck replacing a unibody's chassis when it's the whole car.
            >Its not like you can take off anything other than hood, fenders, bumpers, and doors on a bof car anyway.
            What do you mean? Pic related.

Sorry, but most of these gripes you seem to have with BoF cars are just the result of poor engineering, and don't have anything to do with the actual structural properties of a vehicle's chassis at all. My gripes with unibody cars are made from pure standpoint that looks at the consequences of the construction method, rather than specificities that are more to do with engineering flaws.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

the lexus LS 600 is a 5L hybrid V8 of course it's fricking heavy. it would be in a body on frame too!

and it's almost double the price of (inflation adjusted) even the highest end panther body!

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

It depends on what the manufacturer wants. A rigid body or something that can flex. Both can be achieved with BoF or unibody.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

You just posted a unibody you moron, just because it doesnt have plastic body panels on it doesn't make it bof

https://i.imgur.com/7VpoavI.jpg

I assure you that truck twisting like a pretzel was not in the design criteria

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>he doesn't know about tube chassis

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

That's an unibody you fricking moron lmao

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>there's a reason unibody trophy trucks do not exist.
        >posts trophy truck tubular chassis
        I originally thought this was a cope thread, but this makes me believe that the thread is bait or that OP is an idiot.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

yea as much as i like crown vics OP is just a big dummy

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Most automotive innovation is ways to cut corners. Plenty of frames have bend points, where someone had driver safety in mind.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Damn that looks flimsy

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

unibody is going to be lighter for the same stiffness and safety, or stiffer for the same weight, ergo it is superior for vehicles that don't need to tow or carry large payloads
    there's no reason to make any car or CUV body on frame in the era of CAD and solidworks

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

tl;dr?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Tokusatsu, specially Kamen Rider, is garbage for manchildren.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>t. Kaiju

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Unibody lets the manufacturer make the car's frame/cabin in one piece which makes it all one rigid skeleton. BoF separates it which makes it easier to manufacture for heavier vehicles which need flex in some areas and rigidity in others. Overall, its easier to make a stronger single structure than join 2 strong structures together. Its also easier to make a single structure that stays in one piece than a structure made of 2 pieces that stays in one piece. Manufacturers use unibody construction because its a more lightweight and rigid design. A body on frame compact car would either weigh 1/3rd more than it should, or be far less safe than it should, because you need to account for a cabin separate from a frame and how they will both deal with energy transfer. Op is just a redneck who believes a true car is a truck with a car cabin

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

unibody weigh much less, so you can put a smaller/weaker/cheaper powertrain+drivetrain in and acheive the same lackluster street-driving performance with better MPG (which is all new car goyim buyers care about)

all non-"performance" cars have such disappointing power it's impossible to argue that anyone cares
    an oldschool BoF V8 feels okay, until you add any weight
    and a newschool unibody V6 of relatively comparable power feels okay, until you add any weight
    cars shouldn't struggle noticeably more with curb weight+100-200lb driver vs curb weight + 500lbs, that's a trivial difference vs the weight of the car
    but they do
    in a lightweight compact, even 50lbs makes a noticeable difference... i have a truck that weighs ~7000lbs and somehow an extra 500lbs still makes a very noticeable difference

in the context of cars which are not "premium" or "performance" models/packages, with a HANDFUL of exceptions, all manufacturers are in agreement to make disappointingly pathetic power, so weight is a major issue

why should i have to buy a 6-7 liter turbodiesel just to get something that can drive without a noticeable lack of power when hauling 500 or 1000 lbs? that's not even a lot of weight, a suburban with 7-8 adult occupants is easily over 1000lbs over curb weight

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

With regards to weight, see:

A unibody Lexus LS 600 is 5103lbs, while a BoF Lincoln Town Car (the heaviest of the panther platforms) is 4100lbs. Consider that the Town Car is a fair bit larger and has a larger engine and heavier transmission.

[...]
      [...]
      >That's a unibody
      Unibody is a very specific engineering term where in the body of the car has no underlying frame used for structural support, instead making no distinction structurally between the external hull and the internal structure. That is not a unibody, it's what's called space frame and has radically different structural properties and soft-body dynamics. Please go back to engineering school if you can't tell the difference at a glance.

[...]
      >Op is just a redneck who believes a true car is a truck with a car cabin
      I live in a medium-sized midwestern city and work as a software engineer for collins aerospace. BoF's advantages appeal to me because I like my daily driver to be as comfortable as possible, and I like the fact that if any of my body panels rust I can simply pop them off and replace them.

With regards to performance, I didn't really notice a difference driving my Town Car 1000 miles non-stop with a quarter ton of cargo in the back. She still accelerated and braked perfectly well, could accelerate from 75 to 90 as fast as she ever could, and the gas mileage was only dropped by about 1mpg. I was a little sketched out putting that much weight on some arnott a2105s for so long, but she held up very nicely.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

a quarter ton isn't much if you have no passengers. Consider that a car like that is designed to carry 4 passengers and their luggage.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I've tboned someone while driving a crown vic going 45. the entire front end crumpled in 2 feet and I felt nothing. the airbags didn't even deploy/. the rav4 that I hit did a 180 flip and landed on it's roof in the opposite lane of traffic 20 feet away.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Cool, now do side impact.
    Tyrese runs a red light, Carlos the landscaper pulls out from the gas station, single mom Stacy's tahoe is next to you, what happens?

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

still not buying your granny car, homosexual

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the australian version of the crown vic is the NL fairlane and its unibody

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *