Where I live, classic S class Benzes are rare, but a W126 I could afford to buy popped up.

Where I live, classic S class Benzes are rare, but a W126 I could afford to buy popped up. Problem is, it's a 280S (carbed). 6.5 km/L is much less than I can stomach. Short of an engine swap, is there any viable fix? I read something about TBI plus megasquirt but I'm not sure it would improve the mileage much. Doing a 280SE upgrade isn't an option, the head is different.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    greased geese

Just get a modern car (EV)

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

cope harder moronic europoor
    maybe buy a deezul and cope about muh torque mufugga

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If I were in Europe then these cars would be a dime a dozen and I'd get the injected version which gets much better mileage.

I think that means you can't afford it

I guess I can't, that's why I said "afford to buy".

Old cars suck whatever idea you've got in your head about owning one is better off as a fantasy

You're wrong.

Dont buy a classic S class if you are going to whine about fuel costs.
      5,000 lb executive sedans are not for people who even think about gas prices.

S-class is luxury, E-class and its predecessors are executive sedans. But they are awful when it comes to mileage, and I didn't whine about gas price but about mileage. That said, I went and looked up some figures after your post thinking the 280S wasn't just worse than its siblings but bad in general, only to find that even new full size sedans have awful mileage as well. I guess the S class life isn't for me after all. In a freer country I'd swap some modern diesel with a repro and cat delete into it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>S-class is luxury
        No, that's what the Maybach is for.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Engine swapping anything will cost more than fuel savings, this entire thread is moronic because you don't even have what it takes to follow through with an engine swap.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Anon, where I live gasoline is $2.10 a liter. That's $8 a gallon.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I misspoke, it's 8.36.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I misspoke, it's 8.36.

Anyways, this means 400 miles would cost 100 bucks to travel. That's simply insane.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>buy luxury car intended for buyers to whom money is no object
            >complain about gas expense

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think that means you can't afford it

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Old cars suck whatever idea you've got in your head about owning one is better off as a fantasy

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dont buy a classic S class if you are going to whine about fuel costs.
    5,000 lb executive sedans are not for people who even think about gas prices.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>6.5 km/L is much less than I can stomach
    15 l/100 km is something you can expect from a modern SUV, I don't see any problem. How poor are you?
    >a W126 I could afford to buy popped up
    If you can't afford fuel, you can't afford the car, even if it's new. With classics their normal fuel consumption would be the least of your concerns.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's not just a question of money. I'd feel guilty and wasteful burning over 7.1L/100km unless it was straight hydrogen.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I'd feel guilty and wasteful burning over 7.1L/100km
        Buy a Citroën AX. Or stop commuting by car. Or both.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Anon, AX is atrocious as well. I'd rather get 6.5km/L in a 2.8 S-class than 13km/L in a 95hp 1.3 AX. But rather than both, I'd get 14km/L in a 2.0 Volvo S40. I don't want obscene fuel waste but a supermini cuckbox that guzzles more than a midsize with worse power and hp/kg simply isn't an option.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>feeling guilty over some very specific number
        Seek psych help

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It comes from converting 14km/L to L/100km.
          That's the mileage you could get from an 80s carburetted VW 1.8L 8V 4-pot shitbox.
          My stance is that if you can't get better mileage than some Brazilian econobox brick then you're failing somewhere at the design stage.

>S-class is luxury
          No, that's what the Maybach is for.

The Maybach wasn't produced when the W126 was. And it's not produced today either. Your bait is cheap. Not to mention the Maybach is basically a stretched W140 with W221 styling cues.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm not a shrink anon, don't tell me your life story, I can't help you.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

lol, frick off
            If this shitbox can do 14km with one liter, then something with good design should at least match it without the shittiness. I'm not asking for CRX HF efficiency here.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Anon, you're obsessed with some obscure shitbox up to the point where you compare its properties with a completely different car completely ignoring physics and everything else while feeling guilt about the result of such comparison. Then you tell all that to complete strangers on a Pakistani duck-training forum. I can only recommend seeking professional help.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I picked that shitbox because it's widely considered to be an inefficient car to the point that people used to do displacement reductions and diesel conversions to them.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I'd feel guilty and wasteful burning over 7.1L/100km
        why not 7.2? Why not 7.5? Why are you obsessed with this number? Why does it make you feel guilty? Do you really, honestly feel bad burning a little bit more fuel in a car you enjoy? You realize if you feel this way you've been snookered by some politician whose private jet trips burn more fuel per hour than your car does several months of commuting and pleasure cruising?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Because 7.2 already dips under 14km/L. It's a constructed number I arrived to.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Construct a better number. If that's all you can afford, you cannot afford to drive a classic car. Buy a new npcbox that gets 3x the fuel economy

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>muh mileage
    >what if I butcher it?
    Frick off, you don't belong in a W126.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Electrify that shit and make it hybrid.
    https://www.revr.tech/

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Short of an engine swap, is there any viable fix?

Using it as a weekend car and not as a daily. Though if just driving it marginal distances is going to nuke your budget, you should probably pass on the car entirely.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *