which car has the coldest a/c?

let's say i live somewhere where the average summer temp is 100+ degrees. which car should i get that can make the interior uncomfortably cold? the kind of cold where passengers ask me to turn up the temp a little?

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no specific vehicle. but you’re looking for any old ac system that used r12 but was refilled with propane. just don’t crash.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

is propane actually as good of a refrigerant as R12? I've always just put R134a into the old cars and it works mostly fine as long as your RPMs are up. Kind of sucks at idle with a shitty serpentine condenser.
      Is propane even compatible with the same compressor oil that R12 needed?

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

American cars. They know we need a good working A/C for our brutal summers.
    Unrelated: does 1234yf have a smell ? Does it smell plastic-y or new-car ish?
    wondering if I have an intermittent leak. It cools fine but when I first bought my shitbox a year ago it needed a slight recharge. And I imagine it isn't good to breathe it in...

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Toyotas blow ice cold in my experience

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

All car ACs hit the same temp when they are working correctly. It's a 1.5-2 HP system working those tiny vents, all cars see 40F or less air temps.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I had a couple of cars that could put out 35°F at maximum fan speed on 110 degree days, and more importantly kept everything refrigerator cold with 25% fan and everything is cold and quiet except the loud rumbling v6 cause the muffler fell off.

I miss my 80s oldsmobuicks and wearing my sweater sippin hot coffee mid summer

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

As a licenced HVAC tech. I can confirm this. Although, some refrigerants are better than others at rejecting heat at a stand still. R12 was fantastic at this. R134a is good, 1234yf struggles sometimes unless air is flowing over the condenser very good. CO2? Forget it

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Good thing you can fill a 1234y system with r134 then. You can also use r152a (computer duster) in an r12 or r134r system.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i've heard that before, but i just assumed some cars had better/larger condensers or compressors or higher volume of refrigerant or larger vents or any number of other things that would keep the cabin frigid

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bugatti Chiron

https://www.drive.com.au/news/bugatti-chiron-air-conditioning-so-powerful-it-can-cool-an-entire-apartment/

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Does it use the air conditioning to cool the engine?

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP to answer your specific question, take out the cabin filter if you have one.
    This will blow at least 2x the airflow, the downside is it's going to make the AC activate more often and then you'll see more than a marginal MPG drop, like 1.25 instead of 0.5

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Don't do this, you'll clog up the evaporator with shit

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Refrigerated chevy express.
    Just cut into the cargo area and you can have literally frozen air from the thermoking unit. assuming that it actually works

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

100%
      the volume of air at said temp definitely varies between cars.
      IME American cars, specifically older GMs, had the best A/C.
      In HS we had a friend with a Cobalt that we named "Tessa the Ice b***h" because the A/C was strong.
      The Hyundai I have now sucks balls, and I completely replaced the A/C a couple years ago when the compressor died. I can put the fan at max speed and it's not even close to what American cars of the same vintage are capable of.

although with modern cars it seems to have equaled out and they all do very well. I guess good A/C is finally a solved issue.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Wierd. My 00 Elantra was nice and cold. Check if yours has a cabin air filter full of crap. And also you might need to pressure wash the radiator/condenser. I do that yearly or more often cause of the bugs

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ok here's the deal:

American cars are famous for having great AC, especially an old cadillac or buick (I'm talking under 30 years old) every one I've been is was amazing, even a 90's taurus.

Japanese cars have worse AC by far, toyotas and lexus that I've owned have never had broken AC's, but never that powerful.

German cars are hit or miss in my experience. I had a W220 with functional AC that sucked, but my current R171 has literally the best AC I've ever used, it blows 52F in the middle of the summer.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

idk but my 2007 chevy truck had COLD AS FRICK ac that started blowing ice cold instantly the moment you turned the truck on. i had several people tell me the ac was really strong.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>father in law spending $3k to get his AC fixed in his Cadillac
    It isn't at the dealership. I googled the compressor OEM price is $400 which I imagine is the most expensive component. He's getting fricking bent over the barrel.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

if they're replacing the evaporator half of that is probably the labor for that.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

The evaporator is the first part down the assembly line and they build the rest of the car around it.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Is it an SRX? I've had multiple of those come in needing evaporator cores and actually sold one of them. Nightmare job that calls for 9-10 hours. Never again.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

jesus christ

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Christ. I'll get the model next time I see it. Fairly certain it's an ats or something..nothing crazy fancy .

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

you cant replace JUST the compressor, that will immediately void its warranty. at a minimum you have to flush the system, replace the accumulator, etc. most shops will want to replace most or all of the system because they dont want whatever shit in the system that broke the old compressor to break the new one. its also labor intensive. 3k is unfortunately not that crazy of a price depending on how much they are doing.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Any car can manage with a decent heat rejecting tint. Do the windshield too.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>Do the windshield too.
      no thanks officer

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

A clear tint is legal in my state.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

In AZ you can legally tint the windshield to a certain low %.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

i get the feeling cops only enforce bullshit laws like that in real nice areas with little no happenings. that’s part and parcel of not dealing with Black folk. YOU become the Black person for slightly stepping out of line.

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

My ford ranger has really cold ac and gets to temp fast. I also live in Arizona.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *