Which One Is Better?

So, I've been thinking about getting a different car for years now, and I think with my current financial situation I have finally narrowed it down to two vehicles. I still have to go test drive them, but I wanted to get DA's opinion. Right now I am torn between a Lincoln MKZ with the 3.0 turbo v6 OR an Alfa Romeo Giulia with the 2 liter turbo.

I'm not really hung up on Ti. vs Veloce or Lusso with the Giulia, I figure I'll dive that deep if and when I decide to get it. But right now, both of these cars seem great, and frankly I am leaning heavily towards the 3.0tt MKZ. Initially I was against the idea of a fwd-based all wheel drive system, and wanted to get a proper rear wheel drive car or rwd-based awd system (like the Alfa), but the 3 liter twin turbo v6 mkz just seems so fricking based. 400hp all wheel drive system, 0-60 in under 5 seconds, combined with premium luxury and all the tech features (adaptive cruise, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc). The MKZ just seems like such a great deal.

The Giulia is a more beautiful car though, and I don't doubt that it handles well and might be more fun to drive even if it is a tad slower. Figured I would post here on DA and see what everyone thinks the better buy would be. For a long time I was planning to get a 5-10k used car from mid 2000s like a Lexus LS430 or a Jaguar XJ8 or maybe even an old 90s Mercedes, but I've realized for literally 5-10k more and the ability to finance that I can get a car with more power, better mpgs, and modern tech features like adaptive cruise. Just seems like a no-brainer

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You will have an easier time getting parts and service for the Lincoln.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>You will have an easier time getting parts and service for the Lincoln.

For what it's worth there are multiple Alfa dealers in my city, and I think they are okay with service (i.e. I wouldn't have to drive to another city for a dealership).

Should also mention that for a while I was really thinking about a newer Chrysler 300 or Charger, even if it was a V6, but I found it hard to find many models with adaptive cruise control. Seems like it'd been an option for a while, but most Chrysler buyers just don't care about it. Realized I could get an MKZ or Giulia for same price as a 300/Charger, so that's why I've gravitated away from the Chrysler options

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Alfa car will blow up quicker but not by much

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

bumping, does anyone here have an opinion on the 3 liter Lincoln MKZ or the Alfa Romeo Giulia? If I am considering these cars, are there other cars you think I should look at that I might be overlooking? My budget is about 20k, maybe 25k on the high end. And I do not want a front wheel drive vehicle, but if it's decent enough like the MKZ, I will accept an AWD system even if it is fwd-based

really I just want to crooze, but ideally I want to be able to beat my friend's 2.0 liter turbo honda accord in races as well

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I can speak for the Giulia cuz I have one almost exactly like the picture. The giulia will drive much better, is still pretty quick (low 5's 0-60 for rwd, very high 4's for awd), and overall is the better car if you want a good driving experience. It is one of the best cars I've ever owned.
      Unfortunately, I'm dumping it once the warranty is up. Can't lift the car unless you invest in specific jack stands (About $600-$1500) or get a lift due to the puck mounting points on the bottom. Most independent mechanics won't touch the car, so you'll be going to the dealership and paying $200-$300 for oil changes amongst other things. Anything that doesn't require lifting the car is pretty easy to do. If you frick up a rim, the hub size is 5x110 which no one really carries so you'll be paying out the ass. Brakes are a minimum $1500 for 4 pads and rotors. These are just some examples of what you'll be in for maintenance wise.
      The car has been reliable enough in the past few years I've owned it. The only issues I've had were a leak from a turbo o-ring (fixed under warranty), stop/start throwing up faults and refusing to turn the car back on sometimes (nowadays I keep it off), and just this week I had a weird CEL that went away on it's own.
      I don't regret getting this car because it drives so fricking well without modifications, but if I were to do it again I'd have gotten something else.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Damn, $200+ for an oil change on the base model? I mean, for the Quadrifoglio I could understand that, but even for the regular one? I currently pay $50-60 for an oil change for my car, and to me that is expensive but I pay it because I'm lazy. Are you saying that with the Giulia you wouldn't even be able to easily change the oil yourself?

https://i.imgur.com/6Q5jX6L.jpg

Drive them. The cars probably have very different personalities. You can’t just go by a spec sheet.

If you go by a spec sheet this Z4 sDrive35i is miles better than a non-M Z3. But even before test driving it against a Z3 2.8 that was $12k cheaper, the dealership owner said, “You’re going to like the Z3 better.” And he was right. The Z4 is a good croozer with punch. The Z3 is delightfully tossable and fun. The driving dynamics of the Z3 are just perfect and you don’t end up caring a bit that it’s at over a 100hp deficit.
        The Z4 doesn’t beg you to push it. It feels like it asks you to play it safe, and safe is boring. The Z3 begs you to kick the rear end out at least a little through every turn.

Find which car makes you feel about it the way I feel about Z3’s.

>Find which car makes you feel about it the way I feel about Z3’s.

Thanks anon, I guess I will have to test drive them. Ultimately I just think the MKZ is going to be the best bang for my buck. Plus, I'll likely be parking on the street for at least another year until I get a house. Maybe longer. For whatever reason I don't worry about criminals breaking into or trying to steal the lincoln mkz, but with the alfa or anything nicer, I would worry.

The whole criminal aspect is a big reason why I don't want a v8 300/charger either. And I'd get a v6, but I'm worried a dumb criminal wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I'm coming from driving a panther platform car, and I've parked my car in the most crime-ridden ghetto streets and no one has ever even attempted to break into it because they assume I am a poor person without anything worth stealing (which is true)

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Drive them. The cars probably have very different personalities. You can’t just go by a spec sheet.

If you go by a spec sheet this Z4 sDrive35i is miles better than a non-M Z3. But even before test driving it against a Z3 2.8 that was $12k cheaper, the dealership owner said, “You’re going to like the Z3 better.” And he was right. The Z4 is a good croozer with punch. The Z3 is delightfully tossable and fun. The driving dynamics of the Z3 are just perfect and you don’t end up caring a bit that it’s at over a 100hp deficit.
    The Z4 doesn’t beg you to push it. It feels like it asks you to play it safe, and safe is boring. The Z3 begs you to kick the rear end out at least a little through every turn.

Find which car makes you feel about it the way I feel about Z3’s.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>The cars probably have very different personalities
      honestly this
      kinda reminds me the difference between my fiat and my alfa
      both are fwd base models
      fiat while is fun to drive(light with stick) the engine just doesnt like high rpm, i get the "id rather not" vibe
      While the engine in alfa is like a puppy thats eager to go. Genuinely get the feeling of "cmon lets frickin go lad"
      even though both engines are the base/weakest options in both cars
      1,2 8v in fiat and 1,7 8v in alfa

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>12 oz mouse car

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This ive had more fun in baby turbo and na shitboxes than big turbo big numbers crazy shit

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

bump, if you had to pick Lincoln MKZ vs Alfa Romeo Giulia which would you pick?

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The 3.0 V6 used in the MKZ has a single shitty gasket separating the cooling and oil systems. Its literally right on the pump. The mechanism that runs it is in the block and while you can get a better aftermarket gasket put on, you can never truly fix the issue.
    But you're getting a much nicer car, not better handling though. The Alfa is an Alfa, take from that what you will.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Alfa Giulia

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If I were to buy a base giulia I'd just be sad it's not a quadrifogllio every time I drive it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>If I were to buy a base giulia I'd just be sad it's not a quadrifogllio every time I drive it.

that's kind of my fear as well. I don't want to get a Giulia and just be pining for the QV the entire time I own it. I'm sure they are fun, but, I don't know.

https://i.imgur.com/LIKaPIC.jpg

Journalists generally liked the Fusion but didn't care for the Lincoln version as they felt that the suspension was softened too much, ruining the handling.

As for Ecoboosts, they seem to have some problems with head gasket sealing and carbon build up locking the Second Compression and Oil Control rings in place. There's no way to fix that short of a complete teardown.

Recent I Do Cars teardown of a 3.5 but he's done others that all have had the same thing.

>Journalists generally liked the Fusion but didn't care for the Lincoln version as they felt that the suspension was softened too much, ruining the handling.

I like soft suspensions, plus I've heard it tightens up a lot in Sport mode. Either way that's not a dealbreaker for me.

The 3.0 V6 used in the MKZ has a single shitty gasket separating the cooling and oil systems. Its literally right on the pump. The mechanism that runs it is in the block and while you can get a better aftermarket gasket put on, you can never truly fix the issue.
      But you're getting a much nicer car, not better handling though. The Alfa is an Alfa, take from that what you will.

>The mechanism that runs it is in the block and while you can get a better aftermarket gasket put on, you can never truly fix the issue.
      >But you're getting a much nicer car, not better handling though. The Alfa is an Alfa, take from that what you will.

what exactly do you mean regarding this gasket? I understand the Alfa will likely handle better and be more fun to drive, but overall on paper the MKZ seems better. Ultimately my heuristic litmus test for a vehicle is "would I enjoy taking this vehicle on an 800 mile road trip". And on paper, it seems like the MKZ would be better at that. But, where can I read more about this shitty gasket?

As much as it's not what I'm really thinking about, what about the Hybrid MKZ? Is that more reliable?

My problem is that my first car was a Lincoln Town Car, and my second car was a Grand Marquis. I'm used to extremely reliable Panther platform vehicles and those cars are my benchmark. I just want a more modern version of that with modern bells and whistles like adaptive cruise. I'm not totally opposed to the Hybrid MKZ if it is more reliable, although I do really want a fun car.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>I don't want to get a Giulia and just be pining for the QV the entire time I own it
        They can be modded to 400hp, which I might do. I've never driven the fourcheese version, but the ti is pretty quick. It's a little quiet though, but that might be the point.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>They can be modded to 400hp, which I might do. I've never driven the fourcheese version, but the ti is pretty quick. It's a little quiet though, but that might be the point.

A 4-cylinder engine tuned to 400hp just seems ridiculous to me, but that is worthy of consideration. Fwiw though, the MKZ 3.0t AWD is 400hp standard, but can be tuned to 450-500hp

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Mine is almost totally stock (disabled the stop/start), and with the right launch does 60 in about 4.6-4.8.

They're completely different. The Lincoln is a couch on wheels, and it's very good at that. The Alfa is a sports chassis designed to embarrass a BMW on track, and is still something you can daily

>still something you can daily
            True. It's comfy enough to drive cross country, but you can still throw it around a bit.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

400hp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkwI1SX5B3w for $2600. People spend more than that on tires and rims.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>that's kind of my fear as well. I don't want to get a Giulia and just be pining for the QV the entire time I own it. I'm sure they are fun, but, I don't know.
        Except the QV is nearly 2x as expensive.
        It's basically a different car.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I loved my 2L giulia when I leased it, and now I love my Quad even more. It's what I liked about the 2L, just a lot more

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Journalists generally liked the Fusion but didn't care for the Lincoln version as they felt that the suspension was softened too much, ruining the handling.

As for Ecoboosts, they seem to have some problems with head gasket sealing and carbon build up locking the Second Compression and Oil Control rings in place. There's no way to fix that short of a complete teardown.

Recent I Do Cars teardown of a 3.5 but he's done others that all have had the same thing.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're completely different. The Lincoln is a couch on wheels, and it's very good at that. The Alfa is a sports chassis designed to embarrass a BMW on track, and is still something you can daily

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Guess I will have to test drive them both. Right now I am still leaning towards the MKZ, largely because I've always been a Ford guy, but the Giulia is so beautiful, and it sounds fun to have a sportier car.

That being said, can anyone confirm if regular oil changes on the Giulia are really $200-$300? If so, why do they cost that much? Is it exceptionally difficult to change the oil on that vehicle?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

i mean it has a floor panel, but other than that it's just an oil change

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>i mean it has a floor panel, but other than that it's just an oil change

Why do they charge $200-$300 per oil change then? Perhaps you're just in an unlucky high cost of living area? I have a basic 15 year old American car and full synthetic oil change costs me $60-70. I can't understand why the Alfa would cost 3 times as much. Does it require some kind of special oil?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Why do they charge $200-$300 per oil change then?
            cause they can and certified workshops/dealers make you pay more for everything

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Other options:
    Cadillac CTS/ATS-V
    Lexus GS/GSF
    Acura TLX-S

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Cadillac CTS/ATS-V

Can you find these used for under $25k?

>Lexus GS/GSF
      >Acura TLX-S

Honestly, I just don't like how these look. If I was going to get a Lexus GS, I'd probably try to get an older GS400 or GS430. A

Isn't the Acura TLX-S essentially just a dressed up Honda Accord?

I'll be totally honest, my best friend has a 2.0 turbo Honda Accord, and one of my main goals with a new vehicle is that my car is faster than his

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>my best friend has a 2.0 turbo Honda Accord
        No one's even going to see the Accord next to an Alfa.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Isn't the Acura TLX-S essentially just a dressed up Honda Accord?
        Yes and no... it's got a lot more horsepower and AWD.

If we're talking about the 10th gen accord, the best you could get in that is a K20 turbo with 250 HP which took the place of the V6 from previous gens, while the equivalent TLX (there was no Type S in that gen) is a 3.5 V6 with 290 hp.

If we're talking about the 11th gen accord, without going hybrid all that's available is a 1.5L turbo that's putting out 192 hp, where as the base TLX is a 2.0L I4 turbo with 270 hp and the type-S is a 3.0L V6 turbo with 355 hp.

So while they are technically the same platform, the performance is considerably different.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a M340i if you want something as reliable and fast as the Lincoln but more fun to drive. Otherwise the MKZ is a sleeper hit. I actually don't have a problem with them and forgot they existed. I don't think the Alfa is a good idea.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Get a M340i if you want something as reliable and fast as the Lincoln but more fun to drive

out of my price range, even with financing I'm really not looking to pay more than 20k, could probably go up to 25k for the perfect car but that would be my max. I just checked online and the cheapest used M340i's I can find have nearly 100k miles and are still over 30k. Plus I honestly just wouldn't want a BMW for maintenance costs and because of the reputation. I can get a 50k mile or lower MKZ 3.0tt for under 20k

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>even with financing I'm really not looking to pay more than 20k, could probably go up to 25k for the perfect car
        skip the alfa, get the lincoln

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>skip the alfa, get the lincoln

most likely this is what I will do. I'm just so used to rear wheel drive v8 with my panther platform...I truly detest the idea of a front wheel drive based car. But the MKZ especially the black label trims just seems like such a nice comfy car, and I work from home and don't even drive as much as I'm used to.

Still though, I will drive some v6 and v8s 300s/chargers in comparison just to see if I really prefer them or not

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you're willing to deal with the Guilia's reliability/maintainence, then it's a no brainer.
    I forgot what year, I think 2017, Alfa fixed a huge issue with it.

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>adaptive cruise, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel,
    Post a picture of your purse

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Are you poor and/or insecure with your masculinity?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No, I'm just pointing out that those things are for women

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

So both

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Oh wow you sure got me there, homosexual. Just chop your dick off and buy a Tesla.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You're very transparent.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You're very gay

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You wish I was gay so you'd finally have company

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You wish I was gay so you'd finally have company

dude I'm in my mid-30s and I've always driven old cars. I'm totally fine driving a car without those amenities, but if I can afford them, why not have them? Adaptive cruise control is so chill for road trips. The heated/cooled seats and steering wheel I admittedly might not use very much, but it's just cool to have. It gets super hot where I live and cooled/ventilated seats in the summer honestly sound better than heated seats in the winter. Nothing worse than getting in your car on a hot day and then you get to your destination and you smell bad because your ass is covered in sweat from initially sitting on a hot leather seat that was baking in the sun for hours.

I'm looking for a daily driver that will last me at least 5 years realistically. I might not end up getting either of the cars, but I just think if I'm going to get a normal sensible car that it makes sense to get something with these features.

In all honesty I would like to get a more powerful car with a high horsepower v8 engine, but I also live in a city and do not yet own my own home. I've always driven boring cars, and as much as I want something fast and exciting, I don't want something that people are going to want to steal because "aw shit homie that's got a fat v8 yo"

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>my masculinity is defined by the seats in my car

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The guilia is as boring as an Audi A4, get the Lincoln IF U MUST

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There's a loaded 2022 Gulia at the local dealership for $32k and if I had more in savings for a down payment I would have already bought it. From what I've heard, reliability improved quite a bit after about 2019.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *