Why are Americans so obsessed with 4.10 gears? Anything slightly performance related "HURR FOUR TENS".

Why are Americans so obsessed with 4.10 gears? Anything slightly performance related "HURR FOUR TENS". Are those the only gear ratios you get to choose in your video games?

>Pic rel 4.55

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How bout' some 4.9 gears. Stock.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

shame these are IFS, could have been decent

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Can you swap them into the Z/G platforms?

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

3.55 are my favorite

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I had 4.11s was kinda shit unless i sat the c**t in 5th or 6th for highway pulls

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>5.125 stock

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

gotta go fast

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

These are so easy to drive in manual. You can get the car rolling by just slipping the clutch, don't need to touch the accelerator because of how deep first gear is. First to second shift point is at like 5 mph.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You drive too slow

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I go 80 in it which is as fast as I'm willing to go because you can feel the lift happening from 65-80. It has a 3.65 ratio 1st gear and a 5.13 rear end. You can run 1st out to about 15 MPH (3500 RPM+) but then you are going to be shifting 2->3 basically instantly because the gear ratio is so tight after the 1->2 jump.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Isnt the redline 6000? Imagine not winding out your 1.6L SUV in every gear every time you accelerate

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>hurr why is something popular
    >muh 'murrican rent free thread v2.257537634
    It's a good compromise between acceleration and highway cruising rpm. Don't forget American cars have torque so they don't need stupidly short gears to move themselves like jap cars.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>4.55
    What are you gonna do with that besides pull tree stumps, you can't rev for shit so you're not going anywhere

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Off roaders with big tires.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why the hell would I want my engine screaming at 3,000 on the highway
    This 3.16 is fine my man. Very chill.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>3,000rpm
      >Screaming
      My engine cold idle speed is that

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

My DOHC jap 4 banger redlines at 5800rpm.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>My DOHC jap 4 banger redlines at 5800rpm.
          Is that supposed to be high? My pushgod 6.2 V8 has a 6600 rpm redline.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

6300, stock valve train ls3.
            get fuked japgays

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

6250 7mge
            luv 7ms aside from the head gasket

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

NTA but obviously he was reiterating that 3,000rpm was high-ish relative to his cars redline

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Is that supposed to be high?
            No.

>My DOHC jap 4 banger redlines at 5800rpm
            I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that's possible when even the lowest rpm economy dohc 4 bangers I know of go over 6k

It's an economy engine that has more torque than hp.

NTA but obviously he was reiterating that 3,000rpm was high-ish relative to his cars redline

This.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I don't of any economy 4 bangers that don't at least hit 6

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's a 5EFE.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

They probably just give you a gay gauge because it's auto, it probably still revs to 6300 or something like the manual ones do.
            Some 5E-FE engines don't even make peak power until 6400.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Mine is a manual and I don't have a tach, that's a Paseo gauge cluster but they also use a 5EFE. Starlet Clusters with tachs redline at 6k.

https://i.imgur.com/KsmM3Yv.jpg

5EFE bro. Your redline's like 1000rpm lower than mine, though.

Is that a pre-facelift Tercel/Paseo?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

92 paseo with a manual

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

5EFE bro. Your redline's like 1000rpm lower than mine, though.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

6300, stock valve train ls3.
            get fuked japgays

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that's possible when even the lowest rpm economy dohc 4 bangers I know of go over 6k

How?
            My DOHC jap 4 banger redlines at 7500 and it's nothing special

>laughs in 9.4l, 2 valves per cylinder, one cam, 8600rpm cutoff balanced for 9200 for reliability sake

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

post it

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

How?
          My DOHC jap 4 banger redlines at 7500 and it's nothing special

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/redline.201730/

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I was going to build myself a 4.1 diff but then I realised it would probably be about the same amount of effort to simply slap a turbo on my car and then I wouldn't need 4.1s

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

In what world is a turbo less work than changing rear gears?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

lol bro its nothing but
        >coolant feed
        >coolant return
        >oil feed
        >oil return
        >turbo sizing
        >bypass valve
        >injectors
        >fuel pump
        >ems

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Well I have to drive out of town to pull the flogged out old 4.1 out of my parts car that was probably the first hurdle I wasn't looking forward too...
        Then I have to put my extra torsen centre into it
        then I have to at the very least order some sort of shim kit and figure out how to shim it in, or pay a diff shop $$ to do it for me, and that's assuming the gears and bearings in the diff aren't as flogged out as the rest of the car they came from, so there's probably more work there
        Then even after I build it all nice I still have to fit it to the car

Or I could just cut up and weld an old manifold, weld some exhaust piping, weld a bung onto my sump, bend up an old banjo hard line, chuck a couple of bits of box section under an intercooler and join some silicone.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Or I could just cut up and weld an old manifold, weld some exhaust piping,
          you won't do this though. The effort in building an exhaust manifold that doesn't snap in half the first time you spool is much higher than the skillet and heart that you posess. That's right, I said you don't have the heart.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I've already done it

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because unless your transmission is super tall ratio, anything above 4.10 is useless in day to day driving excepting trucks.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

4.10 used to be the shortest gears you could get in a passenger cars. Anything more you'd have to get aftermarket

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>4.10 used to be the shortest gears you could get in a passenger cars

Until when? Got plenty vehicles in the 80's with 4.55

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Overdrive used to not exist. Top gear was almost always 1:1 and with 55 MPH speed limits, you wanted to keep the engine at 1500 to 2000 in top gear at 55 mph.

Old manual pickups had 6.33 or 6.55 granny gear reduction tho, so you could still idle through mud and start on hills.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Old manual pickups had 6.33 or 6.55 granny gear reduction tho, so you could still idle through mud and start on hills

I don't know why they don't offer granny gears in regular pickups. It's only cabover commercial vehicles I see that have granny gears.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I hate new trucks so much it's unreal.
          The np435 is amazing for crawling and a stupid steep reverse at like 8.2 to one or something stupid. New trucks get a little bit of mud under them and can't keep the wheel speed low enough to not sit there and spin. My w150 with that trans laughs at snow and mud while I see new trucks getting stuck left and right. I don't even have lockers or lsd just 4 low and creep out of any situation.
          My 3/4 ton 2wd same trans and pulling something stupid heavy or starting out on a grade with a big load is laughable.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It’s because of .net .talk .org boomer board culture.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what does 4.10 or 4.55 mean
    revolutions per input of the driveshaft rotation?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yes, but you got it backwards.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

3.73 is all you need man

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

3.73 is indeed the sweet spot for pony/muscle cars but fall short offroad.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Can't they just lower the low range?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

That's what doubler boxes are for

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

1.0 best gear.

----------------------------------------------
    Rajheesh Dendhi
    LONG LIVE THE MAGIC IRIS
    "I get 30 mph, do you?"

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I went from 3.50 gears and factory (optioned) 29" tires to 4.11 gears and 33" tires and my speedometer is calibrated correctly without having to swap speedo cable gear.
    Which implies I have properly compensated for increased tire size and have retained factory performance.

I've had vehicles from 2.73's to 5.10's.
    It's completely dependant on drivetrain and application.
    The vast majority of my vehicles have been vintage domestic V8's, which have adequate torque to run 2.73's on the street even with a 3 speed slushbox.

3.50-4.10 are common sizes because of diminishing returns with steeper gears.
    4.56's are typically slower in acceleration with large displacement engines on the street but have benefits offroad. It becomes a numbers game of "how much better will it be at the track/twistys/on the trail vs on the highway to get there" and 4.10's perform well in many roles but can still maintain freeways speeds.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

American here. I have no idea what youre talking about. I'm actually about to swap my brothers 4.30s out of his drag car cause it left like a lead sled for 4.88s and put his old 4.30s in my street car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Used ring&pinion are a b***h to install.
      You need to match the alignment that it's been running at.
      Hopefully it was only used for a few runs and doesn't have a noticeable wear pattern yet.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I do this for a living I'll get it done. But also I'm gonna be there when we remove his ill get backlash before we tear in. Also don't really care much if it whines a little

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Used ring&pinion are a b***h to install.
          You need to match the alignment that it's been running at.
          Hopefully it was only used for a few runs and doesn't have a noticeable wear pattern yet.

Actually on that not just had a customer pick up his 5.14s I just set up. 4.10s might be one of the most common but in no way is it what everyone does here.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Drag racing, and offroad too I guess.
    >tfw 2.75 diff gears

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because 4.10 is the highest ratio offered in typical American barges
    It's either 3.7, 3.9, 4.10

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Highjacking this thread to ask what rear end geara I should put in my SureGrip 9 3/4 rear end with my rebuild 318 hopped up roughly mimicking a Z/28 302, Shelby 289 K-Code, and 273 Power Pak when it's finished. It should redline around 7,000-7,500 and is behind a rebuilt A-833 4-speed close ratio box. I want this for canyon carving maybe with occasion stop light and drag strips, but I mostly want to carve canyons. Suggestions? It's for an A-body.

Pic unrelated.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>318
      3.55 depending on the tire size. Now if you have heads on it that actually flows air and a cam to match keep it at high rev all the time and it should pull good.
      If it's a stock build get something in the 4s since you won't go anywhere fast at all.
      Actually just ditch the 318 and put a roller cam 360 in and stop wasting your time.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

3.50 is good.
      t. built 302 with a wide ratio toploader

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It's for an A-body.
      You might as well just say "car".
      There's half a ton of variance between models within that category.
      >hey guys, what gear ratio should I have in my truck....

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It's for a 2nd gen Barracuda Fastback with a fiberglass hood.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

4.10's

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It should redline around 7,000-7,500
      Uh huh. Right up until you figure out how much a valvetrain for that costs.

Anyway, I'm gonna guess you're after a gross hp around 350 and Google says a 1971 Duster 340 weighs 3500lbs. Calling up the old power/speed calculator and set it for flywheel hp we get about a 13 flat at 109mph. Moving over to a Gear Ratio calculator and using the stated 7K rpm for crossing the line and 25 inch street tires that would look normal on a car of that era it comes up with 114mph using 4.56's. Close enough. You'll want deeper, like 4.88's, if you use some 26x8's, and even deeper for the more realistic 28x10's but you can do those calculations in your own time.

20. 2 months ago
    Greased Geese

I have 2.73s 5.11s and the rest are all 3.08s

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

back in the day gearing was one of the only ways to make your car faster.
    that was it.
    when I told me dad my race car has 3:42s gears he was surprised.

4:10s are alright for low power cars like 4 bangers or 6cyl.
    or off road bros with hella tall tires.
    but typically higher gear ratios means less strength due to fewer gear teeth being engaged.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I had 5.33 in my rx8.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because they're a great gear if you have 1 or 2 OD's, or simply run tires 32" and larger. For a 35" tire 4.10 is actually pushing it, you want 4.56s. 3.73 is a sweet spot if you don't do a lot of highway and are on a 30" or smaller tire, 3.42s are an even better compromise and is actually a stock gear for many pickups, but people go throw 33" or bigger tires on and suddenly realize how slow their truck is now.

Tldr gears are not one size fits all. Engine, transmission, tire, use case, power band are all vital factors. I have a rig with 2.73s, I've got another with 5.56s, all depends what you're using it for.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I was running numbers on my VIN plate when I first got my project truck.
      Turns out my truck had factory options for 3.08-4.56 (mine was delivered with 3.73's, which I was happy about).
      In the past the options were typically 2.73-3.50 so it's nice to see times have changed.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

73-87(91) squarebodies could have 2.73-4.10s as a factory option. Later years I know 3.73 was a very common factory gear, I believe 4.10s still were as most people who tow wanted the extra low end grunt.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm old.
          "In the past" in my world predates the squarebody.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Get '14 Wrangler
    >Goes over 120mph with the top down and many revs to spare in 6th
    >Buttery-smooth low revs at 80mph
    >Gets 30-34 mpg on a 90 mile trip I often take
    Look up specs again
    >3.21 gears
    Sometimes acceleration isn't everything.

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

final drive doesnt mean anything if you dont post the redline and gearbox ratios in front of it

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Basically this.
      I have 3.7 ratio on my jap box where most similar cars have 4.1 or 4.3, but my engine barely revs above 6k and many of those other japboxes rev to 7k or 7500.
      So redline in second gear for me with a 3.7 might end up at a very similar speed as redline in second gear for them with a 4.1

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's half of what I mean. Everything for them is HURR FOUR TEN and they don't have a clue what ratio's are in the transmission.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You're moronic. The reason my brothers car leaves like a pig with 4.30s in it and were putting 4.88s in is because he's got a power glide in it and its a heavyish car. Another aspect you didn't mention. We do think about it, you don't.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *