Why are manual I6 BMWs under 10 years old so rare?

I live in the U.S. and manual shift cars have always been pretty rare but why is it nigh impossible to find a BMW 3- or 4- series under ten years old with an I6 and a manual transmission? I’m fricking tearing my hair out because the only one that is even remotely possible to reach in a day is a 2014 with 90k miles on it and overpriced as frick.
I know DSG and auto is ultimately more efficient, but if I didn’t care about the fun of driving, I’d just get a Camry.
Also, not really an argument when VW and Mini manuals are absolutely everywhere.
Is there somewhere special I need to be looking? It just seems impossible that these things are so rare for a supposed enthusiast car.

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's simple, the demographic of normies who want a 3 or 4 series these days are too cucked to want a manual, thus they don't make many. Enjoy your manual tax, tbh I'd say it's worth it though.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Enjoy your manual tax
      I’d happily pay a premium in dollars, but the fact I need to go 400 fricking miles away to get one is utterly maddening.
      Still, why are GTIs and Minis with a stick and clutch pedal so plentiful but no BMWs?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

because when new it's a car for middle aged professionals that don't care about driving, sitting in traffic commuting everyday.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That just doesn’t jibe with the BMW image I’ve always gotten. There are old BMWs with stick shifts aplenty. Manual E36, E46, even E90 are everywhere. I just don’t feel like the hassle of an ancient vehicle and I’m not really in a profession where looking poor is a great idea.
          I guess I could buy a new M3 but those are pricy by any standard and just ugly as sin.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

that's just marketing. the 3 series was the accord for management levels.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because they're bought as status symbols. Enthusiasts buy GTIs and Cooper S's.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Enthusiasts buy GTIs and Cooper S's.
          Ugh. No. Hot hatches are for guys a lot younger than I.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

GTIs are overwhelmingly sold with the DCT gearbox as well

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sure, that’s been true for a while, but it’s not a problem to find an under-decade old stick GTI within a 50 mile radius.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The BMW's cost 50% to twice as much, that's why

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Everyone is obsessed with benchracing and autos are faster so autos are overwhelmingly taking over.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Everyone is obsessed with benchracing
      I promise you at least in the U.S. only a very tiny proportion of people who are buying a brand new Beemer are doing so for benchracing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>benchracing
      >shitty base model 3 and 4 series
      lmao

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Who cares? The F10 M5 was the last good car BMW made. Everything after it is eps gayshit

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>eps gayshit
      That’s another infuriating thing. Why does my Mk VI GTI eps feel just like my old Mk IV but BMW feels like fricking garbage?
      I’m not going to spend money on a twenty year old car just to look like a Black person or a poor but I want a proper BMW.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You literally don't like cars if you only want a BMW as some kind of social status ornament. Just find a clean example. My 23 year old BMW gets more compliments than any of my newer ones from randoms on the street. People will know you aren't poor if you can keep a 20 year old "unreliable" car in good condition, silly.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>That’s another infuriating thing. Why does my Mk VI GTI eps feel just like my old Mk IV but BMW feels like fricking garbage?
        It's actually deliberate to some degree, BMW identified that most of their customers just want a comfy cruiser with a fancy badge and road feel was thought to be intrusive so the EPS is intentionally programmed to filter out feel.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>BMW identified that most of their customers just want a comfy cruiser with a fancy badge
          God damnit. I know you’re right.
          What’s an adult enthusiast car daily driver, then? Is there one?
          Porsche, I guess?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

LCI E90.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Wife has an e91 and yes, it’s godly and she’s got 300k in the meter.

>Those cars are too old to be daily drivers now
            No they aren't my E39 is my "daily."

Ok, but how long have you had it?
            I just am pretty leery of buying a >10 y/o car as my daily not really knowing where it’s been or how it was cared for. Plastic and rubber age. I’m not terribly keen on being stranded between here and work.
            I mean, if I could have a perfectly preserved e36 coupe that would be my dream car, it still wouldn’t be trusted as my daily.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I've had my E39 for a year in June, and my E92 for a little less than that. The E39 is the better daily but the E92 is more fun to drive.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The F10 M5 has an hydraulic steering rack Black person.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

But I don’t want a huge fricking land yacht.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Ok but hatchbacks are GAY as FRICK
            vws are GAY as FRICK

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well, you certainly sound like a gentleman of refined taste.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Once autos became good enough (and the ZF8 that BMW uses is one of the first and best of its kind), dealerships stopped stocking manuals because they could sell an auto to anyone but the most hardcore enthusiasts, while a manual would be much harder to sell, so manual BMWs from the 2010s basically just became a customer order only option.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Kevin Van Dam

Adults buy new luxury cars. Adults don’t like driving stick. If there are no adults buying said luxury cars with a higher trim package for more money and a manual trans, those same cars don’t exist on the used market 5-10 years later.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

When I think “luxury car” I think things like Lexus and Mercedes. Something for people who don’t really take pleasure in driving. BMW has never marketed itself that way.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because you fell for brand marketing like a little brand prostitute. 7 series, S class, and LS are luxury cars. 3 series, A class, and the ct aren't.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I can literally find more stick shift Cadillacs than BMWs.

• 4 weeks ago
        Kevin Van Dam

>Lexus is more luxury than BMW
        I mean that’s a Toyota with leather. BMW is classified as a “Luxury Sports Sedan”

Because you fell for brand marketing like a little brand prostitute. 7 series, S class, and LS are luxury cars. 3 series, A class, and the ct aren't.

See above. There’s a reason they don’t sell the Mercedes vans and trucks in the US and BMW 316d or whatever wasn’t pushed, it has always been a luxury brand. Objectively. It’s not a Chevrolet. Just because you feel like the 2-series isn’t any better than your mom’s Corolla with optional leather steering wheel doesn’t mean they’re not classified as a luxury brand.

I can literally find more stick shift Cadillacs than BMWs.

Selling manual cars in 2024 definitely doesn’t make you a luxury brand. If anything, it’s the opposite, you will get some 10spd DCT in a luxury car with a base MSRP of $40k and the old school stick shit is in some 18k € econobox city car.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

To me, particularly stuck in burgerland there’s a huge difference between “luxury” and “luxury sport.” Here, luxury conjures pictures of big comfy land yachts and cars for rich women. “Luxury sport” is like Audi, BMW, etc.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>tripgay
          >moronic homosexual
          Like clockwork. Filtered

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I mean that’s a Toyota with leather
          find me a Toyota variant of an RCF or an LC500

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Well "adults" sound fricking lame

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>and overpriced as frick.
    How interesting.
    So it's available, just not at the price you'd prefer.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Like I said, I’d happily pay a premium in dollars. Finding only six hits online where the closest is 400 miles away is what’s infuriating.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Like I said, I’d happily pay a premium in dollars. Finding only six hits online where the closest is 400 miles away is what’s infuriating.
        Then go ahead and get what you're looking for. Or look for something else.
        Or do you need something to complain about? How many "hits" are required for you to not be unhappy? Why is that?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Just read the OP, fren. I’m both venti g frustration and genuinely curious why something that’s always been billed as an enthusiast’s car has so suddenly become unavailable in an enthusiast’s configuration.
          I didn’t think either of these things were verboten on the Japanese pedophile imageboard.
          I’ve gotten some decent answers, though.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>so suddenly become unavailable
            How many "hits" made you happy last year?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A mere seven years ago when I last looked they were plentiful. Those cars are too old to be daily drivers now.
            The suddenness is one generation of Beemers.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>A mere seven years ago when I last looked they were plentiful.
            How many was that? Seven "hits"? Was seven enough?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nah man, it was like a hundred or so. Not a huge number but there were way more e90s with a stick than F30s. I’m just shocked the fall-off was that dramatic.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Those cars are too old to be daily drivers now
            No they aren't my E39 is my "daily."

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

most people buy bmws for look and status

manual is a hassle and foreign / poor to these people

inline 6s are more expensive and most don't care or see a point to buy one when a 4 cyl option exists.
    They just want a BMW because its a BMW

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>most people buy bmws for look and status
      New buyers? Sure.

Most second and third owners buy them because they genuinely care about performance cars and you can get almost Porsche-like performance out of a $15K M235i with $5K in mods.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you are right but unfortunately the way a car is specced is determined by the first owner which is why manuals are dying out
        most enthusiasts are too poor to buy new cars

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because the manual boxes in BMWs are dogshit that's why

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just get a 2 series, they're the sportiest 10 year old BMW. But you need to decide your priorities. BMW manuals are meh and newish BMWs (F series and up) are all isolation tanks - having a mediocre manual troony doesn't change the rest of the car.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah but you have to shell out the skekels for and be ok with the douchy look of the M version just to get B58 engine.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>why is it nigh impossible to find a BMW 3- or 4- series under ten years old with an I6 and a manual transmission?
    Why do you want a turbo one? I mean I know its faster and more tunable but a non-clapped E90/E92 328i or 128i will be way more reliable and the NA N52 will last forever with oil changes and gaskets. N55's like to randomly blow up or leave you in limp mode if you're not proactive changing spark plugs and ignition coils.
    Also hydraulic steering instead of electric steering.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I don’t want an N55, I want a B58. If it’s good enough for Toyota it’s probably not so bad in the reliability department.
      I also don’t want something ancient. I want to trust this as my daily driver.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

E9X was the last great 3 Series. F30 was shit but looked pretty. B58 > N54 > N55 but E9X steering > all other 3 Series.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>E9X steering > all other 3 Series
          Yeah. That’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s the truth. Wife’s e91 feels godly. I just wish they weren’t getting so old.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They aren't old at all lol. Like I said I daily that E39 and it's been more reliable than the E92 already. Just find a low mileage one like 60k mi, get all the maintenance records, not that it will really matter. Just replace all the points of failure which are well known and it'll last another 100k miles. Their straight 6s are bulletproof and will go 300k with proper maintenance. Even N54s.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

> I want to trust this as my daily driver.
        Who told you BMWs were that unreliable? I daily my 200k mile E92 and would take it to Florida and back if I needed to. It has never left me stranded.
        Just be proactive changing stuff. I changed my starter, thermostat, water pump, and cylinder head flange when I first got the car. Didn’t end up spending that much money because the old parts worked so I sold them after I took them off.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Only time my E92 left me stranded was when the coolant expansion tank blew up right as I walked into harbor freight. Had to take the E39 to get a replacement and changed it in the parking lot the next night.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh yeah and a year ago at around 190k miles I had the upper coolant hose start spilling coolant. I had ordered the part years ago but never changed it as it seemed ok. Made it home and changed it, then also ordered the coolant expansion tank and changed it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *