Why are modern day valvetrains so noisy?

Why are modern day valvetrains so noisy? I remember back in the 90's, if you heard any valve related noises, you were tearing down the engine for a rebuild. Now every engine sounds like a sewing machine. What gives?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is to save costs. They used to be made of a copper-magnesium alloy, which is an excellent acoustic insulator, but it is also expensive. Now, iron and aluminum alloys are used, sometimes some tungsten is added, but not always. It is cheaper this way, but the noise is more noticeable

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

t. PhD in mechanical engineering

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ArulYZX.jpeg

Why are modern day valvetrains so noisy? I remember back in the 90's, if you heard any valve related noises, you were tearing down the engine for a rebuild. Now every engine sounds like a sewing machine. What gives?

This is something ive always wondered and I find the answer fascinating. Ive got old 300s and 302s and 351s that have been romped hard and oil starved most of their 200k+ mile lives, and they still sound quieter in the top end than my 2017 5.0. I assumed it was a difference between OHC and OHV, but this explains why new Chevy V8s and new hemis always sound like they have collapsed lifters or are running low on oil straight from the factory.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's because 07+ Chevy's and a huge portion of the Dodge V8's actually have collapsed lifters, oiling issues and valvetrain problems.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Collapsed lifters would present as disastrous misfire damage in less than 6,000 miles, I wish you mexican/meth head idiots would learn something instead of spreading bullshit.

No anon shit is just noisy because everything sucks now. Like another poster said we no longer use "fancy" copper alloys, in fact I recall a decade ago seeing a video from Toyota about Lexus needing to make compromises in their sound damping, engine cover, hood damping and cabin design due to not being able to use them anymore.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Funny because I've got decades old stamped steel rockers and cheap China lifters and pushrods not making a pip of noise. It's almost like shit engineering and cheap fricking bean counters are the downfall of a lot of what could be good engines. You do realize good ol' shitty GM DOD engines can bleed the lifters down as quickly as overnight and they'll clatter and rattle until warmed up and they fill back up right? They'll tick, clatter and misfire for 200k miles or grenade in 30k on a new valvetrain.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's the HPFP and injectors.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Could be fuel injectors. Direct injection engines always have a lot of click-clack noise for some reason. Could be the higher pressure they run at? I am not sure.

Please stop talking about what you don't know

This is to save costs. They used to be made of a copper-magnesium alloy, which is an excellent acoustic insulator, but it is also expensive. Now, iron and aluminum alloys are used, sometimes some tungsten is added, but not always. It is cheaper this way, but the noise is more noticeable

Fpbp & /thread
      I could frick your gf's on the spot and you wouldn't do shit

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>this brainlet actually thinks hpfp don't make a lot of noise and literally have custom fit foam insulation because of this
        Stop posting moron.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Could be fuel injectors. Direct injection engines always have a lot of click-clack noise for some reason. Could be the higher pressure they run at? I am not sure.

GM had to make an extra-quiet insulating piece for the HPFP on the LNF 2.0T engines because it was so fricking loud people thought their cars were broken

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>"modern valvetrains"
      Black person i own a K-series from 2002 that idles like a diesel if you dont adjust the valves every 20,000 miles.
      this is true for hondas at the very least. I love DI rattle, it sounds so cool. engines were not meant to be quiet

[...]
      Please stop talking about what you don't know
      [...] Fpbp & /thread
      I could frick your gf's on the spot and you wouldn't do shit

samegay moron, your troll was not effective and doubling down just makes it even more pathetic

• 2 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Kek my friends Honda element has the loudest valves of any engine I’ve ever heard and it’s been recently adjusted
        Also my Miata used to have absurd valve tick, the BP engine is known for noisey valves

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Prove your presupposition, then we may discuss the why

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Intake and exhaust are usually quieter these days. That might play a role here.
    The only car I've had with valvetrain noise was a '95 and it was just fine (HLA tick).

6. 2 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

hydraulic roller lifters are usually pretty quiet
    dont know if they still use that in modern engines

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>hydraulic lifters
      *TKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTK*

• 2 weeks ago
        Greased Geese

the only ones i have that make noise have link bars.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>OP out there with his precision sound measuring equipment recording data from a huge variety of modern cars then travelling back in time to record data from a huge variety of 90s cars when they were new then travelling back into the present and compiling all his data to bring us this well researched and factual assertion that modern cars have noisier valvetrains than 90s cars

Or did he just pull it out of his arse?

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My issue is it's JUST valvetrain noise. The rest of the engine+exhaust is so damn quiet that is all I hear.
    I like when it's valvetrain, whoosh/air intake, exhaust, and other sounds but just valvetrain isn't a good vibe.

• 2 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

may i introduce u to hacksaw and gutted glasspacks and exhaust clamps

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Woah anon, is it perhaps because cars are just overall less noisy nowadays but valve train noise has stayed the same? meaning that you can hear the valves more clearly? no it must be that le old good le new bad!!

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had an LS1 catfish that sounded like a sewing machine at idle. I tried using different oils to make it more quiet but nothing really worked.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

0w20 oils?

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

WHAT?!? DID YOU SAY LIFTER TICK?
    T. gmt800

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

More engines should have oil rails going to the cam lobes and tappets like Mazda has. Frick fuel economy, engine durability is everything. The only emissions I care about are wristpins and conrod shrapnel.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A little valve chatter never hurt any one. Those thicc knocks when the cylinder starts slapping are different.

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

also keep in mind, the springs are much higher rates than before to deal with more aggressive cam profiles and rpm.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What gives?
    Shit timing belts in my engine series failed so they use chains now Plus the blocks are paper thin now because of CAFE shit.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You really sure its valvetrain noise and not noise of the fuel direct injection system?

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Back in the 90's
    It makes sense when you think of it as OBD2 and on.

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Youre probably hearing a lot of direct injection noises too.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *