Why are most V6 engines 3.5-3.6l

No matter the manufacturer, if they make a v6, it's usually this size. Why?

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

V6s are inherently harmonically-imbalanced and certain sizes are easier to correct for.
    Bigger pistons mean more uneven burn and airflow.
    Something about needing a longer stroke to account for all this. Idk I'm about to slep.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I want a massive inline 8 to balance a coin on end on top of it.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Most that I know of are between 3.0 and 3.8.
    Mazda made some neat smoll v6's that sound cool. While other brands made 3.8's for heavier duty applications.

Oh, and don't forget this. Cut it in half and it was used in medium duty trucks.

Just go back in time if you want cool engines. Experimentation happened before now. Now we are EPA/CARB/EURO 8+ cucked into the same engines.

Or go motorcycle

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm an old millennial, I'm used to everything 6 cylinder being ~4.0L.
    Jeeps, Fords, Mercury, Chevy (4.2L) Buick 3.8L Toyota and Dodges (3.7)

Some reason 3.6L seems so tiny, even though they fricking rip compared to the clunky old truck engines with modest torque, garbage fuel economy...

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Every Jeep I've ever driven, from late 70s CJs to XJs and WJs, all 4.0 straight 6's.
      Toyota land cruisers 4.5L straight 6 is legendarily reliable but 14-15 mpg is realistic. Makes no sense to make something last forever if you're spending 10% of your income to fuel it up

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Sorry, the 4Runners 4.0L V6 gets 14-15 mpg. The 4.5L Land Cruisers got high 12s to 13. Which is on par with 26,000lbs GVWR U-Haul trucks

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>4Runners 4.0L V6 gets 14-15 mpg. The 4.5L Land Cruisers got high 12s to 13
          Lol. My V8 gets double those mpgs.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I have 4l v6 4runner... im prolly going to sellnit and replace wirh v8 current gen nissan armada. The armada gets better fuel economy despite being bigger, heavier and a 400hp v8

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nissans have pretty good v6 and v8 engines but they tend to be pretty oil leaky. Everything else on nissans fall apart relative to toyota
            If you need the towing capability or if the 4runner is on its last legs then do it. Otherwise id be inclined to recommend sticking with the 4runner

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

V6 4Runners do 18-20.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Lmao downhill with a tail wind maybe

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No, that’s the average my mothers 4Runner gets. My V8 GX does about 17-19.

No ones getting 15-16MPG on a 4Runner unless they do something moronic like 35s on stock gears.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It's probably the sweet spot for power, efficiency and emissions with current tech. Like all engines they've slowly been getting smaller over the years. 90s to mid 00s everybody was using ~4.0l V6/I6s in everything. See

Every Jeep I've ever driven, from late 70s CJs to XJs and WJs, all 4.0 straight 6's.
      Toyota land cruisers 4.5L straight 6 is legendarily reliable but 14-15 mpg is realistic. Makes no sense to make something last forever if you're spending 10% of your income to fuel it up

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>90s to mid 00s everybody was using ~4.0l V6/I6s in everything
        Someone should've told bmw. Would probably have been nice if my e46 have another liter or so.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

and sacrificed higher rpm for torque
          is it an x5?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Don't tell me you have a 325 and not a 330, right?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Those are all straight-6s which require less harmonic dampening.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Ford 4.0 is a straight 6....
        I found the busrider.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

barra power warraboiut m8

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

he's a shit c**t not a sick c**t, pay 'em no mind

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

not in my experience

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Europoor V6s are usually around 2.5-3.2 litres
    Yankeedoodle V6s are 3.0-4.0 litres
    The Japs in the 90s loved tiny V6s. Mitsubishi had a 1.6 and Mazda had the KF in 1.8, 2.0, 2.3 and 1.5 litre form

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You sure did.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

For that you need a large harmonic balancer that saps power, or you just expect it to last 2k miles b/c rasekar.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

my eclipse is 3.8L

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

More efficient sizing.
    Any V6 under 2.5L can be replaced by a modern 4cyl.
    A V6 over 4L would mostly be feasible for low revving trucks only. If they want more power, go V8 or add a turbo. Physical size matters less at this point since its getting into big engine territory

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

the most efficient cylinder configuration is a long stroke 500cc. so a 3.0 v6 is the most efficient v6 layout and therefore 2.0 i4, 4.0 v8 and so on. you can make them a little bigger and not lose too much efficiency, but then you run into trouble with internal stresses and the bigger the diameter the piston, the worse the hydrocarbon emissions are.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

500cc also allows for fairly high rpm
      Bigger pistons result in bigger inertia and that lowers max rpm

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Bigger V6s than that are generally 4,500rpm 30+ year old truck engines. V6s aren't smooth and the bigger they are the rougher they are. NVH and efficiency > all now so nobody is going to put a 4.3L V6 in a car again when a 3.5L turbo V6 will do the same job better. The only place you might see it is in a pickup truck or van.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Those 3.0-3.6l V& engines used to be more like duty engines instead of performance engines. They first were most common pickups, SUVs, vans before V6 came more common for sedan, estates, coupes, hatchbacks.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

For me its the aj30 v6.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Becuase V6's are compromise engines. You can make I4's up to about 2 liters with out balancing them, and V8's down to about 3 liters before they become prohibitively expensive with little gains over a big I4. You can use an I6 with about any displacement you please, but there's issues with packaging it, especially in FWD applications.

So you get a V6 within that range, it'll run horribly but put out more power than a big I4, and maybe better gas mileage than a V8, but it will fit in your FWD shitbox.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2.0 - 4.0

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I quite like toyota's 3.3L 3mz-fe v6's
    theyre really smooth and put out okay enough power in a light shitbox like camrys or solaras, they sound pretty okay with a fart can actually

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

ferd has the 2.7l nano V6
    GM has the nu-4.3l V6
    Fiat-Chrysler, yeah, ok, they're 3.6l.

Diesel V6s all seem to be ~3.0l

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *