Why are new cars getting worse?

This is both short and long-term reliability. Cars manufactured since 2019 are over 2x worse than prior cars. What caused this? Is it reversible?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://newatlas.com/automotive/j-d-power-u-s-vds-iqs-auto-industry-quality-dropping/
    here is the trend by brand (red=bad)

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

zoom out

look at the numbers without the scary dark red

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

it's twice as big as the light blue still?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>buy a new lexus in 2015
      >hasn't given me a single problem 9 years later
      >mfw

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Land Rover
      Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>less than 170
      >more than 500
      Less than what? More than what? "Problems" in total? WTF do these numbers mean? The fricking article doesn't say either.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Is it reversible?
    why would any manufacturers reverse this trend

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>source: J. D. Power
    Maybe if the car manufacturers gave them more money, they wouldn't be so negative.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's not even conspiracy at this point. Planned obsolescence is just the status quo.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No one wants to produce quality content hen they can sell you new crap every year. It’s sad

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Competency crisis

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. Diversity hiring quotas + general intelligence decreasing.
      Also government regulations are forcing automakers to pack more and more points of failure into cars in the name of "safety" and "efficiency".

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Hear hear, hicknon! Down with those gay-ass features like airbags and seat belts! *REAL* men get splattered all over the inside of/get catapulted through the windshield.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Why are new cars getting worse?

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My truck is a 2019 and I haven't had any problems

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yours is statistically the most problem-free according to OP's image, no surprise there

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

no it isn't.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

government regulations

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How are these failures organized? How many of these are problems with the same systems that are in older cars, and how many are faults in new electrical systems?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I would bet a paycheck half of the increase is in software updates not related to vehicle operation, and half of the other half are related to drive assist "features"
      2018 is around the time range when tablet integration began to go mass adoption and lane keep/warning/brake assist began to cheapen to the point of trickling down below mid market models.
      The rest of the statistic I would attribute to overstressed small turbo engines -and- bad ownership.

There's no feasible way that all car makes and models across all brands and all price markets all have the same relative rate of increase in actual mechanical problems unless an outside force related to the manufacture of parts is involved in all brands, makes, and that outside entity has done something/fricked up in some way. Which is just impossible when company A has parts made in B area and company C has parts made in D area and company E is all made in the same country and etc.

tl;dr

https://i.imgur.com/DAEAzmb.jpeg

This is both short and long-term reliability. Cars manufactured since 2019 are over 2x worse than prior cars. What caused this? Is it reversible?

two options:
      Frick you, you're moronic
      or
      Frick you, you have an agenda.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>There's no feasible way that all car makes and models across all brands and all price markets all have the same relative rate of increase
        this sounds like denial of reality
        >I would bet a paycheck half of the increase is in software updates not related to vehicle operation
        Oh look, it's the old "your car killed you but it was just a software bug, we've fixed it now" gaslighting.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Finish the quote. Anon.
          Have a non disingenuous conversation.

>in actual mechanical problems
          That's the rest of the quote, anon.
          Post your nose, anon.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's not the same across the board though. Land rover problems are only up 25%. Lexus problems are up nearly double, which matches consumer sentiment that they've gone to shit (despite still being the most reliable brand). Mazda problems are up 50%. etc. etc.
            They're not all up the same amounts. But they're all worse.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

planned obsolescence
        >isn't illegal

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Electronics definitely is a part of the problem. A lot of issues recorded for Volkswagen probably come from their new platforms' electronics and infotainment that started showing up in cars around 2019. Even their bosses kind of admitted that it's unusable touchshit.
      But it also had a lot of bugs that could range from some number on the dashboard not updating, to the whole infotainment/dashboard computer stack crashing so hard that it had to be reset at the service center to make the car usable again.
      I don't think they've gotten much worse mechanically, though they weren't really top tier in that department to begin with.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

With covid, manufacturers stopped producing cheap, base model cars and pumped out the ones with every option. The more options a car has, the more things there are to break.

Cars are already over-engineered to meet ever-changing fuel economy and safety regulations. Add in a bunch of shit like 360 proximity sensors, cylinder deactivation, active cruise control, etc just add to it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I suspect that there are a couple of manufacturers who are just biding their time waiting for their electric cars to come out and the ones they make now are just designed to be disposable because they expect most people to just dump them when the electric cars come out. They had originally hoped they would come out sooner but there seems to be issues.
      I think even some customers are treated their car as a stop gap until electric.

I knew people who sold their car for more than they paid, seems to be a lot of economically dumb shit still going on.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. Sales went through the floor with COVID, auto manufactures scrambled to find new and exciting ways to sell their cars, leading to more possible issues.

This occurs in combination with half of the workforce being laid off, leaving a lot of tribal knowledge and experience on the table. When auto makers tried to get their employees back, the most experienced ones retired, half of the moderate experienced ones found other jobs or moved to other industries (likely seeking something more stable / more pay), and the majority of less experienced employees came back.

>I work in an aviation production line and this is how it went for me. The company retained 10% of it's workforce to stay alive, almost entirely skilled mechanics and engineers (me), and the rest is history. Took us a solid two years to dig ourselves out of that hole with a whole bunch of untested new features to sell more planes and a brand new workforce.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

turbos, while they make for more power and less gas usage, they are more complex and more shit to break/wear items.

electronic aids, that normies need that opens you up to more points of failure.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

More tech more chance at failures everyone had to start from scratch with the hybrids add in the cameras and wet sensors while a beancounter is looking over your shoulder.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

More and more tech introducing more and more points of failure.
    Modern Mercedes’ are a disaster reliability-wise nodaways.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

planned obsolescence along with componency crisis as the people in charge award metrics and seniority over actual work

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Widespread use of carplay. They are always using the same ancient early 2010s hardware and the replacement is only on the highest end of luxury and always requires Internet because
    >nvidia "ai" and analytics
    Which is also a scam.

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

High complexity and new technologies. My BMW engine from the early 2010s is a lot simpler than a new direct injected turbo econobox. Likewise, it has a lot less electronics.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Covid cars were particularly bad because of parts substitutions
    I wouldn't buy a 20 or 21 anything

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Unironically vax induced brain fog

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There are so many god damn variables for why this is happening.
    >Planned Obsolescence
    >Overworked, inexperienced workers
    >Old neglected platforms and tools that haven't been inspected for tolerances in years
    >Cost cutting materials on the bean counting management side of business
    >Government regulations forcing manufacturers to make cars a certain way with little room to innovate
    I'm missing like a hundred more points, but I need to get ready for work.

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why did the whole world just decide to become shit around 2020?

21. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>American'ts can't into reliable, quality car manufacturing
    Sasuga.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *