why arent civics popular anymore like they used to be in the 2000s and 90s? i hardly even see new civics around anymore

why arent civics popular anymore like they used to be in the 2000s and 90s? i hardly even see new civics around anymore

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because it's not a crossover.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yep. The new shitboxes are CRVs and RAV4s.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>it's not a crossover.
      you sure?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Because it's not a crossover.
      Just STOP with this stupid nomenclature.
      If 90% of the Market is composed of this stupid type, then just drop the naming already.
      I blame Mazda for this.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

they look like toy car for teens but teens have no money to buy new vics

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They sold 200k civics last year in the US, not a massive number but not bad

https://i.imgur.com/y4NsbkP.jpeg

>style
      The new Accord looks like it was designed by AI and the Civic looks completely soulless and boring. Honda only makes cars for commuters that don’t care about the driving experience now.

I like how Honda is keeping it simple with their designs. Everything else is overdesigned and gaudy

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're ugly, unreliable and expensive. You're paying the "Honda premium" for absolutely nothing.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They are probably the nicest cars in the class (subcompact economy sedan) and no more expensive than your Corollas or Imprezas.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>civic
        >nicest economy compact
        haha good one anon

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Mazda lost themselves chasing the "muh premium" crowd.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Too expensive. I love Honda and Civics. But this:

is the best car for poorgays that want to buy new.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They aren't nice, Hondas entire lineup is garbage. Corollas and Imprezas are overpriced garbage as well.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>They aren't nice, Hondas entire lineup is garbage
          That may be so but compared to the rest of the market the civic has the best combo of good interior, good driving, and good reliability.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No it's not the best. You haven't tried anything else. Every fricking Honda fanboy is exactly like you.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I own a Mazda3 and driven the new Civic, last gen Civic, new Corolla, Sentra, Impreza. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that the Korean, American and VW are shit. So by default Honda has the best balance.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Cheaper
        >Same horsepower and curb weight
        >An actual 6spd auto while the competition uses cvt
        >Decent looks imo

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>terrible mileage
          >half baked crossover
          >nu-buick reliability and cost of repair
          no

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>implying a GM parts bin car is more expensive than a nu-Honda
            kek

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>subcompact
        lol frick no they aren't
        They're the size of midsize sedans in the 2000s with all that bloat.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/6JnScFm.png

>civic
      >nicest economy compact
      haha good one anon

it would be the mazda shill shilling his shitty dog shitting mobile. call me when anything by that shit company can lap the ring in under 8 minutes.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

so your criteria for a "nice" car is being able to just lap faster? grow up kid rumao

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

this is unironically why people stay away from civics, it screams of boy racers like how anything made by nissan attracts the hood crowds.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I bet you were one of the trolls 3 years ago saying
        "hurr BMW cum sucking machine"
        Bmw is garbage and even a 90s rotary shitbox can beat anything with an M series badge.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Kek why are weeblets so fricking delusional

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

spec sheet is all I need, thanks.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

A lot of people drive Civics. Sales increased. The "sporty" Civics, not so much. It's a tough sell when the Si makes 200hp, less than at 15 year old Si, literally.

Type Rs are mostly sold out or listed way above MSRP, or were, until a few months ago. Now there are a few in stock, but it's a tough sell when the V8 Mustang and I4 Supra are available in similar price ranges.

I used to want the CTR, but if you want a "sports car", it's tough to take it over the competition. Sure, it's reliable, and the interior is nicer (-those horrible seats).

See:

They are probably the nicest cars in the class (subcompact economy sedan) and no more expensive than your Corollas or Imprezas.

. Your only alternative is the Elantra for 21k. Civics are nice car. The 1.5T is hurting them though.

https://i.imgur.com/6JnScFm.png

>civic
      >nicest economy compact
      haha good one anon

[...]
      it would be the mazda shill shilling his shitty dog shitting mobile. call me when anything by that shit company can lap the ring in under 8 minutes.

Preference. Civic sells far better than the Mazda, and that's likely for a reason. The "nicer" options on the Mazda are in the Si price range.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>The 1.5T is hurting them though
        Agreed. It's undoubtedly the biggest flaw with an otherwise near flawless compact. The new meme is hybrids, and expect Toyota to slap that into the Corollas standard lineup next gen. Improved cabin space, hybrid drivetrain, newer styling. It's gonna be the compact king again. Or they'll fumble it badly and it'll still be subpar in the class.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I like the new Prius. I drove the previous gen one and it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely handled as well as a Civic Si and dat mpg.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I don't want to sound like a Toyotasister but they do objectively have the best hybrids in the business right now. AND at the best price points. It's a really hard deal to beat as far as a commuter goes, even if their enthusiast offerings are kind of slim/outsourced

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

corolla has had hybrid option since 2020, its great

https://i.imgur.com/Tog3bm3.jpeg

Honda culture was because of hand me downs because cars used to last multiple generations of people, and even when you had to buy a used one you used to be able to get old CRX or Civic Si for basically nothing and them modding scene was huge so parts were competitive and well made.
          Now cars don't last long enough to pass on to the next generation, and the used ones sell for $10,000 before you even consider buying some cool looking wheels or nicer tires and doing that brake job it needs.
          It's just not fun to own them like it used to be, your second pizza delivery check used to purchase a whole car so anyone could own one.

braindead, people keep cars longer and the cars are worn out by the time the "next generation" comes around because people are waiting longer to have kids.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I like my 10th gen Civic. Not living up to the Honda reputation tho.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>unreliable
      Honda Civics will run forever if you just keep changing the oil on a regular basis. The Civic's body will fall apart and look like shit, but that sumb***h will keep going.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I see a lot around my college town, not brand new but a gen or two old which makes sense for college kids

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Civics haven't been good since the 7th gen dropped the double wishbones for mcshitter rental suspension

6. 3 weeks ago
    Dog car

in the 90s and early 2000s was the default new car for middle-upper middle class parents to buy their kids going off to college, but have gotten too expensive for that demographic, so now they're just buying used crossovers for their kids

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're too bloated, we need the Fit back.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Agree. Honda has pretty much died in Australia since they dropped the Fit. Just the CRV company now. And they're discontinuing lawn mowers too. WTF Honda.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This thing kicks ass.
        An entire Suite of Utility and Productivity.
        Which is precisely why we cannot have it.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't know where you live but we have plenty of Civics and Corollas here

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honda culture was because of hand me downs because cars used to last multiple generations of people, and even when you had to buy a used one you used to be able to get old CRX or Civic Si for basically nothing and them modding scene was huge so parts were competitive and well made.
    Now cars don't last long enough to pass on to the next generation, and the used ones sell for $10,000 before you even consider buying some cool looking wheels or nicer tires and doing that brake job it needs.
    It's just not fun to own them like it used to be, your second pizza delivery check used to purchase a whole car so anyone could own one.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Now cars don't last long enough to pass on to the next generation
      Proof?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I fricked your mom and never gave you a car.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I don't have the stats but people are on average driving older cars out of necessity.
        Before 2009 buying a new car every 3-5 years was pretty normal and keeping them for longer than 10 was uncommon even if you had a cool sports car or whatever because you could hop in a cooler newer one no problem.
        Thus, the $3k-$5k Miata sports car existed along with a slew of mustangs and corvettes for pretty cheap too.
        Now the old ones are collector items and new ones are $50k-$100k so your cool big bro isn't going to give you his prized car when he goes to college or the military anymore and parents aren't buying cars for their kids unless to specifically flex having that kind of money to burn on their dipshit progeny.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I don't have the stats but people are on average driving older cars out of necessity.
          The average age of vehicles on the road has increased since the 70s. This is nothing new.
          So we're talking about the reliability of modern vs older cars, it's not about the price of cars or people's incomes.
          Because people are holding onto their cars for longer, doesn't that mean cars are getting MORE reliable? If they were less reliable, they'd be forced to dispose of them?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It means they're simply holding on longer. Compared to a new vehicle repairing a known quantity old vehicle often makes sense, like the vehicles I and my bros have had for decades.

If it's not rusted or wrecked it's easy to keep a 1970s vehicle on the road a very long time because they're easy to work on and most drivetrain parts are cheap. However people had plenty of money so unless it was special disposing of a ride one was bored with was no big deal.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Okay, but what proof is there that the average 2024 car is less reliable than, say, the average 1994 car?
            I'm still kind of confused on that part and genuinely want to know.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

because all the bad '94 cars ate shit and died in 2006, only the dead reliable ones (4-banger manual Accords etc) survived.

They're ugly, unreliable and expensive. You're paying the "Honda premium" for absolutely nothing.

>unreliable
            Uh no? They have oil dilution issues but those are easily solved by not driving like a pussy.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Explain to me how you think a vehicle running negative weight oil will be reliable in the long run??

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Explain to me how you think a vehicle running negative weight oil will be reliable in the long run??
            uhhhhHHHH the oil pressures and tolerances being adjusted so that the engine still spins? like, by engineers? just like every other time in history cars went down in oil weight?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You might want to look up how oil works.

>negative weight oil
            Black person the L15B7 uses basic b***h 0W-20 just like every other engine designed after 2011, that's toyota 0W-8 you're thinking of.

What happens to that already thin oil when you dilute it with gasoline? You know gasoline is not a good lubricant, right?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>What happens to that already thin oil when you dilute it with gasoline?
            You change it.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>negative weight oil
            Black person the L15B7 uses basic b***h 0W-20 just like every other engine designed after 2011, that's toyota 0W-8 you're thinking of.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I see them all over the place (11th gen).
    You probably live in a flyover dump

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People don't buy cheap cars anymore.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

small sedans got cucked by these homosexuals regulations. you can hardly see out of these fun lil shitboxes because of muh crash saftey shit.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Macdonalds struts.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no more ads

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Peak Honda was in the 2000's when they released unassuming commuter styled sedans and coupes with 260 horsepower NA motors in them. New Hondas are all style no substance.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>style
      The new Accord looks like it was designed by AI and the Civic looks completely soulless and boring. Honda only makes cars for commuters that don’t care about the driving experience now.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why the frick the accord is still on production is beyond me when the civic is the size of an old accord and uses the same powertrain

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

A lot of money has been dumped into branding, same reason they keep Acura around despite being Honda with some leather and chrome bits and a $200k+ flagship car.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Civics still feel like smaller cars too me despite how everyone says they're huge. The Accord feels substantially bigger. And yes I owned 98 civic.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Civics are still cramped on the inside, they're bulky as shit because "safety" or whatever.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honda died in the 80's and 90's.
    These things sold themselves back then. You got a reliable car with the most basic features imaginable. Nothing more.
    You can't buy a new car that just comes with the basics. It comes with a bunch of sensors and electronics that cost a bunch of money.
    The '88 Civic? An 8-bit ECU and a stereo was all it had. These were perfect for the price. The electronics were kept so simple they'd rarely ever fail. Honda struck the perfect balance between the simplicity of a Carburetor and the convenience of EFI, without needing 70 billion vacuum lines. These guys in pic rel kept Honda going throughout the late 90's and 2K's. Those cars cemented a reputation for Honda.
    Honda isn't doing what they used to be doing though. Hyundai/Kia has taken their place, minus the reliability part (unless you count the old kia souls, those are very reliable SOHC mpfi engines). They just make cheap asiatic cars, and it's what "those" people can afford.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

nu honda is shite

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had a 90's civic and didn't like anything that came after, all too big and bloated, so I got something else

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The Fit is the new Civic but we don't get the Fit anymore.

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why get a civic when you can get a more reliable civic (a corolla)

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Toyota beat them at their own game.

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ugly. Slow. Gay.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're no longer cheap and frankly they're no longer civics. They're just Accords now (Accords are now just XL Accords if you were wondering).

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>new civic: 150 hp + CVT
    >new corolla: 169 hp +CVT with actual launch gear

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>new base model beater civic
      >new top trim Black personracing corolla
      yawn

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The base Corolla has the 169hp engine you goober, the Black personracing coralla has 300hp. Regardless he's wrong, the base Civic is 158hp. As an ex-Honda fangirl, I'd still take the current Corolla over the current Civic because the former's hatch looks like a proper egg while the later's is just a sedan with liftback now.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>'d still take the current Corolla over the current Civic because the former's hatch looks like a proper egg while the later's is just a sedan with liftback now.

Then you're stupid. Because I've driven both of them (a new corolla as a rental and a new civic because my cousin has one and I borrowed it while I was in town) and corollas are ASS to drive. Civics aren't some amazing fun sports car but at least there's some feel to the steering and brakes and stuff. Corollas are as numb as a dental procedure. The civic hatchback, I agree, is not a hatchback. It's a liftback ugmo shit. But the corollas are so awful to drive because there was zero consideration given to making the car enjoyable.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I don't doubt it still drives good, but I'm shallow and need the egg aesthetic. I'd go for the new Fit, but ofc burger Honda doesn't fricking sell them.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>the Black personracing coralla has 300hp
          was referring to the SE/XSE 2.0, not the 3cyl GR, but yeah.
          if we're comparing unobtainium rice rockets the Type-R has like 315, twice the displacement and an extra cylinder
          >later's is just a sedan with liftback now.
          Liftbacks are based shut the frick up. Nobody's making a 3dr hatch in 1996+18 so get over it.
          >girl
          A/S/L?

I don't doubt it still drives good, but I'm shallow and need the egg aesthetic. I'd go for the new Fit, but ofc burger Honda doesn't fricking sell them.

>I'd go for the new Fit, but ofc burger Honda doesn't fricking sell them.
          buy a clean 2014-2020 used, they look pretty good despite being a few years old.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>twice the displacement
            thought it was a 1.0 oops. 2.0 K20C > 1.6 G16-GTS still

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why would you buy a newer Civic instead of a newer Accord which is better in every way and only costs slightly more?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>only costs slightly more
      >$23,950 vs $27,895 base price
      Anon that's almost $4,000, it's 16.5% more. Do you not understand relative amounts? $4,000 may not be much when you're spending $80,000 on an M3 but it's a significant chunk with a sub $30,000 car.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

To have a slightly less pigfat car. Why would you get an accord if you don't have 4 people in the car?

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why buy a a civic when the chevy trax exists?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

General Motors? I'd rather walk.

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

New cars are expensive and gay. $50k for a Type R is criminal.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>New cars are expensive and gay
      Truth. I never felt more like a chump than when I bought my first and only brand new car.
      Back when cars died at 100k miles without exception, there was some attraction there. But now, nah.

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The old ones are still very popular. I see dozens of of them with expired tags going by every day.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

they really like that one different colored door don't they

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Civics used to be competitively cheap for being so high in mechanical reliability compared with cars of the same class. They coasted on that reputation for a decade after other brands caught up. Now they’re just nothing special.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

1. They priced-out their target demographic (teenagers/early adults looking for an affordable first car)
    2. It's not a crossover
    3. Idk

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honda has been selling about 500k civics every year for like 40 years.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, modern folks wagon

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This thread is good for me because I’m in the market for a civic. I basically want the nicest and most practical daily with a stick under 30k and a sport hatch for 27k seems appealing to me. I thought about a Miata or an Civic Si, but I think they might be too impractical. Anyone have any ideas?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I wouldn't cross shop a Miata with a Civic of any trim.

Two extremely differently purposed cars.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Good for you

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

they don't cost 10k

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *