Why arent sc i6 more common? >tonnes of tourqe. >no need for ic or it. >easy to install and tune

Why arent sc i6 more common?
>tonnes of tourqe
>no need for ic or it
>easy to install and tune
>shit on single or twin turbo v6 v8 i6 and i4
????????????????????????

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because superchargers are far more expensive than turbos and for what benefit?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Instant tourqe and boost off idle
      kinectic loss seems like a meme

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Most people don't need instant torque and they sure as frick don't need boost from idle.

>kinectic loss seems like a meme
        It's real https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvr9avWJYA
        >has 350hp N/A engine
        >adds supercharger
        >makes 50hp more for 100hp of engine stress because the supercharger sucks another 50 just to drive it

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

wouldn't instant or low-end torque be great in daily traffic?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's not 1980 anymore, you can get low down torque with a turbo lol and I'm sure the traffic won't get away in the quarter second it takes for your turbo to spin up.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

so all those ev gayots are wrong then?

wouldn't instant or low-end torque be great in daily traffic?

it is
          t. turbo gay

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So are all the people who used turbos over superchargers wrong then?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Ive had both turbos cheaper power on a budget a sc is more tameable

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Skill issue

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Stock ba bf fg fgx boost creep well known ill do flapper mod

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>made 415/520NA
          >slap on 6-71
          >suddenly make 670/800
          >peak torque by 2200rpm, doesn't fall until 4900, revs to 7700

You're a fool and wrenchlet. Post bus pass.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

coulda made more with a turbo

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And had worse throttle response, worse acceleration off the line, loss of 60ft times, all for top end only power on a street/strip/toegay built car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>worse acceleration off the line, loss of 60ft times
            lol have you been paying attention to the drag racing scene?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Fully aware of the drag race scene, as well as autox, road race, land speed etc. Turbos have their use case, as to superchargers and prochargers. One of our cars holds a record in its class for land speed, supercharged, and beat out several turbo cars.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>and for what benefit?
      Depends on the application and use case.

The benefit of roots and twin screw superchargers is that since the charger is driven by the crankshaft versus exhaust gases, power delivery is instantaneous. Superchargers boost power across the rev range while turbos are peaky and have turbo lag. You have to use two turbochargers in a twin scroll setup to reduce, but not eliminate turbolag inherent to turbochargers.

This is why American sports cars have traditionally used superchargers. GT500, ZL1, Z06, Hellcat all pair their V8s with superchargers. American V8s, especially the OHV V8s, make gobs of torque down low and don't rev high anyway. Supercharger gives a power delivery profile similar to naturally aspirated power. Pic related.

Manufacturers that chase peak HP numbers in their displacementlet 4pots for spec padding use turbochargers. Turbos offer better fuel economy which is another reason they're paired in economy-focused engines. But superchargers offer smoother power increase.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>turbos are peaky
        >You have to use two turbochargers in a twin scroll setup to reduce, but not eliminate turbolag inherent to turbochargers.

Lmao this homie literally living in 1987

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Laws of physics go away after 30 years
          It's basic physics chud. Turbochargers have to spool up to compress intake air. They spool up with exhaust gases which is dependent on engine speed. Compounded with exhaust back pressure introduced by the turbocharger, spooling up takes time. With a twin scroll setup you can have one smaller turbocharger so it spools up faster but the turbo lag will always be there whether you like it or not.

Absolute brainlet post

>Absolute brainlet post
          >No argument
          I accept your full unconditional surrender yurocuck

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Firstly you brainlet... twin turbos are no longer a thing, they're only used for packaging reasons on V-engines or aesthetic reasons on inline sixes. For performance an appropriately sized single is better in every way - yes that INCLUDES spool time.
            Secondly turbos are most definitely NOT PEAKY, if you think they are you either don't know what the word peaky means or you don't know anything about turbos.

An appropriately sized turbo should come on in a higher gear at ANY RPM ABOVE LUGGING, it will give you bulk midrange torque (that's the opposite of peaky btw) and unless you deliberately feed in extra boost it should drop off at around the same time the naturally aspirated engine would've dropped off.
            Turbocharged road engines (not race engines) will usually make peak torque at the point where the turbo FIRST hits full boost (not peaky).

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/7Y3Apse.jpg

>Americans still use superchargers on their high end V8s instead of turbos
            See [...]
            Turbos have turbo lag and are peaky. American V8s have a shit ton of torque down low and and don't rev high so a supercharger that gives substantial gains at low rpm while retaining the smooth power delivery advantage naturally aspirated engines have is a no-brainer. A turbocharger just removes the low rpm power advantage that those engines have and since the n/a V8s make a lot of power anyway, min-maxing power at the expense of engine feel is just moronic which is why American engineers have opted for superchargers over turbochargers. A fricking hellcat demon 170 can make in excess of 1000hp with a supercharger. Instant boost gives it a 0-60 of 1.66 seconds. No turbo lag needed.

Most of the literature and thinking you're talking about is from the 80s though, when twin scroll turbos were the newest technology available.

Turbo lag is a non issue on modern engines, and with variable vane technology (15-20 years old now) the torque curves are actually boringly flat, with peak torque usually from 1500-5000 rpm.

Find the turbo lag here, I can't see it?

?t=125

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Turbo lag is a non issue on modern engines
            Lies.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Theres a time gap from when they hit the gas and when the turbo bar builds and stabilizes.
            If youre just driving around it doesnt mean much but if youre actually racing, it makes a difference which is why antilag exists and even that doesnt eliminate the lag completely.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>that wave of torque
        luv me turbos, shrimple as

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Superchargers generate much less heat, try racing with a turbo mid summer...
      Also turbos make your exhaust sound shit and lag is gay
      Centrifugal Superchargers ftw, no need for intercoolers and gay spaghetti manifolds
      Just makes an na engine feel like it has 50% more capacity
      Frick positive displacement chargers too, I can't stand that fricking whine

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Centri blowers make your engine feel like it revs higher, positive displacement blowers are the ones that make your engine feel like it has more displacement

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

lol centrifugal superchargers are the worst of all worlds, they're usually used with intercoolers btw because COMPRESSING THE AIR is the main producer of intake air temperature - not the vicinity of the turbine housing to the exhaust.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Centrifugals are the least likely setup to have intercoolers.
          They're typically the lowest amount of boost also.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

their shit

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Centrifugal Superchargers ftw, no need for intercoolers
        compressing air heats it up. you dont need an intercooler with a turbo either. in both cases, you just pull a ton of timing unless e85 or better.

i fricking hate this board sometimes.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'd rather sc a v6 cause a i6 is a meme

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>whiny rubber belt
    Gay. Turbo is actually more manly

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How do you want to be driven superkun?
      >I want a soft rubber belt
      >not too tight, not too loose
      >just the ride speed
      Gay.
      How about you turbo kun?
      >I want RED HOT EXHAUST GASSES
      >I WANT YOU TO JAM THOSE RED HOT EXHAUST GASSES INTO MY ARSE AS HARD AS YOU CAN, THE MORE GASSES THE BETTER

based turbo kun

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>I WANT YOU TO JAM THOSE RED HOT EXHAUST GASSES INTO MY ARSE AS HARD AS YOU CAN, THE MORE GASSES THE BETTER
        least gay turbo driver

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

"what if we had the power of a v8, the fuel use of a v8, except it gets really hot, needs 98 octane fuel, and is more maintenance and sounds like shit?"

>superchargers need their own maintenance and wear out
    >makes the powertrain huge
    >heat buildup
    >more complex than just making bigger engine or v8

We had supercharged 6 cylinder commodores here and they were always the tryhard "me too" cars that made no sense next to any V8

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Bunburygay
      >Probably shops in Bunnings
      Bunnyc**t

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The answer is because turbos are better in pretty much every single way. There's a reason why every manufacturer who ever made supercharged 4/6 cylinders don't anymore.
    The better question is why Americans still use superchargers on their high end V8s instead of turbos. Especially Ford, as if their dohc V8s wasn't gigantic enough that they needed to put a supercharger on it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Americans still use superchargers on their high end V8s instead of turbos
      See

https://i.imgur.com/5aXEtqx.jpg

>and for what benefit?
      Depends on the application and use case.

The benefit of roots and twin screw superchargers is that since the charger is driven by the crankshaft versus exhaust gases, power delivery is instantaneous. Superchargers boost power across the rev range while turbos are peaky and have turbo lag. You have to use two turbochargers in a twin scroll setup to reduce, but not eliminate turbolag inherent to turbochargers.

This is why American sports cars have traditionally used superchargers. GT500, ZL1, Z06, Hellcat all pair their V8s with superchargers. American V8s, especially the OHV V8s, make gobs of torque down low and don't rev high anyway. Supercharger gives a power delivery profile similar to naturally aspirated power. Pic related.

Manufacturers that chase peak HP numbers in their displacementlet 4pots for spec padding use turbochargers. Turbos offer better fuel economy which is another reason they're paired in economy-focused engines. But superchargers offer smoother power increase.

Turbos have turbo lag and are peaky. American V8s have a shit ton of torque down low and and don't rev high so a supercharger that gives substantial gains at low rpm while retaining the smooth power delivery advantage naturally aspirated engines have is a no-brainer. A turbocharger just removes the low rpm power advantage that those engines have and since the n/a V8s make a lot of power anyway, min-maxing power at the expense of engine feel is just moronic which is why American engineers have opted for superchargers over turbochargers. A fricking hellcat demon 170 can make in excess of 1000hp with a supercharger. Instant boost gives it a 0-60 of 1.66 seconds. No turbo lag needed.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Absolute brainlet post

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Adding a supercharger to a V engine is a lot more compact than adding a pair of turbos, unless you go for some hot-V packaging nightmare like Mercedes, BMW or Audi

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Audis hot V engines are actually super simple especially compared to the benz and bmw plants.

[...]
        Most of the literature and thinking you're talking about is from the 80s though, when twin scroll turbos were the newest technology available.

Turbo lag is a non issue on modern engines, and with variable vane technology (15-20 years old now) the torque curves are actually boringly flat, with peak torque usually from 1500-5000 rpm.

Find the turbo lag here, I can't see it?

?t=125

Afaik Porsche was the only one to really dable with a true variable vane gasoline turbocharging setup on the 997 and even then they do have some lag from a dig, but that said the turbos on those are friggen huge regardless of VGT or not so

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Yeah super simple

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, actually. The benz and bmw plants require intercooler removal to do anything and on the m176 for example its about 5 hours to remove them. The audi mill everything is on top of the engine and easy to get to. And if you wanna nag about timing chains the other production hot vs also require engine out to do timing.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My guess would be emissions & efficiency.
    Because that's the bottom line in today's car market.
    Everything else is a secondary concern.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ah yes, that explains why they're equally uncommon in environments where emissions and efficiency are literally no concern.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They're uncommon there because aftermarket is relative to market trends. If very few manufacturers are putting straight 6's in their vehicles, there's going to be very little aftermarket support for such a platform.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Take Australia for example. V8's are available in AU, but they just stick a fricking barra in everything because it's what's supported most there.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Damn bro racers really be leaving untapped performance out there because market trends?

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

E

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>>shit on single or twin turbo v6 v8 i6
    A supercharged l6 doesn't shit on anything except itself

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Oh no instant low down boost how terrible

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Why do you need boost at 1200rpm anyway?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Towing
          O
          R
          Q
          U
          E

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Then why are all trucks turbo and not supercharged?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

who gives a frick?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The words of a man with a defeated argument

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

OH NO I LOST AN ARGUMENT ON THE INTERNET MOM GET THE ACKER

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You gunna admit you're wrong or....?