Why did GM wait so long?

To ditch the obsolete pushrod design??

?si=btfxiKUyaDUp0RR7

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They were forced to in order to meet emission standards.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>they were forced to make the highest horsepower naturally aspirated production V8 ever

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>production
        Meanwhile they sell this... See what's possible without emission cuckery?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

How reliable would that be for a track car?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The engine would be practically idling in a lightweight race car. It would be extremely reliable.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How reliable would that be for a track car?

Probably not super reliable unless it were dry sump. Also it'd probably be a bit heavy for anything other than straight line stuff. The LS is a better option in basically every area. 1000hp na is great but I'd rather have a smaller package that can rev higher in a track car

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Dry sump reliable
            Stopped reading there.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

we're talking about a track car, or at least we were. Go and check how many ls swapped track/drift cars have made it past the first 3 corners without at least an accusump system. All of them toast their bearings

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>During development, a single engine endured more than 200 simulated drag strip passes on a dynamometer.
            Make what you will of this statement, because to begin with nobody is going to run a cast iron big block in a road course car unless it came with it.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>they revved it for a full 2000 seconds
            >a whole 33 minutes
            Im supposed to be impressed?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you're cross shopping against one that's getting rebuilt every 100 seconds, yeah.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it'd make more if it was OHC

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you are brain dead.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>more airflow wouldn't make more power
            Who's the braindead one here

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm actually 200IQ so I recognise that even if you made every single parameter of the engine exactly the same, with over head cams you could run less valve spring pressure and therefore make more power.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Spoken like a true engineer. Given identical exterior dimensions to work with, such as those commonly found in the engine bay of a passenger vehicle, what design allows you to maximize horsepower?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Performance/397/M-6007-M50C/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19435104/10002/-1

This shit drives me up the wall with Academia types. The blue voting dickheads who fell into line and got the degree that says they're smart, and often times they are, but they're unable to apply their knowledge effectively due to an overwhelming lack of practical experience and ability to adapt theoretical principles to the real world. Yes, Preston, I'm sure you did learn some clever corporate strategy stuff in your MBA program but you really ought to listen to the foreman who's been in this business since you were in Middle school.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>muh dimensions
            see

https://i.imgur.com/QoSy6XN.jpeg

>DOHC heads are bigger than push rod he-ACK!

OH NO NO NO BROS
            HE PERPETUATED THE BOOMER MYTH AGAIN

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

those engines are also $45k

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I still want to put it in my shit box and race all the lifted truck gays who drive 90+ on the freeway.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah and? That's what you gotta pay if you want a turnkey package with a warranty. Call GM and see what they want for a replacement C8 Z06 engine.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>they were forced to make a high revving n/a v8 in order to meet emission standards
      Based moron, you realize LS/LT2 has better fuel economy and emissions than this because it has better low end and doesn't need to be revved out?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not according to Euro5 tests, which are strongly geared towards high-strung low-displacement engines. How they perform in the real world is irrelevant.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Euro5
          Irrelevant for a Corvette

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Corvettes are sold in euprop

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

And those high-strung low-displacement engines all have tiny turbos now that spool up at low rpm and run out of breath over 4000 rpm, kind of like 2v V8s

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They shouldve added their vtec to both cams and really give the euros the f you

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

DOHC sucks. I have a Mustang and I wish it had a 6.2 option. DOHC sounds like poop

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>DOHC sucks. I have a Mustang and I wish it had a 6.2 option. DOHC sounds like poop
      I agree larger displacement pushrod engines sound amazing. The coyote is a great platform for making power but the sound just isn't the same.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>DOHC sucks. I have a Mustang and I wish it had a 6.2 option. DOHC sounds like poop
      I agree larger displacement pushrod engines sound amazing. The coyote is a great platform for making power but the sound just isn't the same.

Imagine thinking the cam location and engine size determines how an engine sounds.
      My friends, let me introduce you to pipe dimensions. Think of how a trumpet and trombone sound different even if theyre played by the same guy.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I4 motorcycle engines sound different from I4 car engines. Also size does change the sound a bit. However I agree overall cam lobes, firing order, exhaust runners and collectors, and a few other things make bigger differences.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Pretty much but if you cap the rev limit of the bike to 6k rpm like most cars, youd be hard pressed to hear a difference. Maybe how quickly they change rpm since a 600cc i4 has way less inertia than a 1.6 i4 with a 10lb flywheel

more engine size give it more bass

Does a trumpet played by a fat man sound different than a trumpet played by a skinny man, assuming theyre both pros and playing the same arrangement?
          If you can distinctly hear the difference you might want to check out the audiophile community. They need people like you

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nta but bigger engine = bigger pipes.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sure, if its a vastly larger engine. But something like a 6.2LS, a 5.0 coyote, and even a 458 run similar diameter pipes. Thanks for the input though

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You're welcome

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If that were true then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but you can. Wether it's American, German, or Japanese, you can always tell that it's not ohv.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What country of origin is this engine? is it pushrod or ohv?
            https://vocaroo.com/1nGJbf3csJqH

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

try this one too
            https://vocaroo.com/14O7YfCNXQmX

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wanted to say murcan, until i heard the turbo. Now im leaning toward an RS7

Pushrods are better, unironically. The OHV engines they make, LS/LT series are smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the massive DOHC moron engines. Look at a coyote vs an LS/LT. The thing is fricking massive, and all you get is MUH HP/L which is a meaningless performance metric. HP/LB is far more relevant to real performance.

Here we go again

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

last for now but not least
            https://vocaroo.com/11RSPEwOj2OL

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I4 motorcycle engines sound different from I4 car engines.
          what is rod ratio

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It has much more to do with the cams and exhaust design than rod ratio. Your typical 4cyl motorcycle engine has a large primary long tube 4-1 header and cam duration and overlap that you would only see with aggressive aftermarket cams in your car.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There is lots of 4-2-1 motorcycle exhausts. The longest motorcycle exhaust you'll ever see is like shorty side pipes on a car though.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>your TYPICAL motorcycle engine has X
            >HUURDURRRRRRRRRRRRRDUHURHRHRH Y EXISTS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Fricking moron. The ability to deal in abstracts and not immediately sperg about exceptions is fundamental critical thinking.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I didn't say it exists, I didn't say it's an exception, I said it's common and you are a dumb gay illiterate Black person that spent 24 hours riding wiener before you could get around to sperging out about your own buffoonery.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>NO U
            shut up nitwit

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>being mad that someone doesn't spend their whole life on DA
            uh anon

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

more engine size give it more bass

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Actually, the firing order matters more than anything

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If youre thinking of the crossplane and flatplane V8, you can actually run equal length headers to even out the sound.
          The same goes with even/oddfiring V10s, etc

Spoken like a true engineer. Given identical exterior dimensions to work with, such as those commonly found in the engine bay of a passenger vehicle, what design allows you to maximize horsepower?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Performance/397/M-6007-M50C/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19435104/10002/-1

This shit drives me up the wall with Academia types. The blue voting dickheads who fell into line and got the degree that says they're smart, and often times they are, but they're unable to apply their knowledge effectively due to an overwhelming lack of practical experience and ability to adapt theoretical principles to the real world. Yes, Preston, I'm sure you did learn some clever corporate strategy stuff in your MBA program but you really ought to listen to the foreman who's been in this business since you were in Middle school.

Not that guy, but what are you going on about bro? Assuming equal parameters, the OHC will have less parasitic losses leading to more power overall. Am i missing something?
          >CAPTCHA: JNJKJK but im serious

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what he is saying comes down to
            >while the ohc designs may be more efficient, they take up more room in the engine bay which makes it more shit in the real world just for minimal gain.
            then he goes onto how this is an epidemic across engineering, where the people designing only look at numbers, and not real world conditions such as ease of maintenance/reliability/cost of ownership

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Agreed.
            So the OHC does make more power given equal parameters, but comes with a whole host of other issues which may or may not matter to the end user.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>the [cam] lobes are pressed onto the shaft

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

for what reason do they do this? is it more durable than a one-piece camshaft?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's almost certainly just because it's cheaper to manufacture. They can take a universal camshaft core and press various sets of cam lobes on it for different applications.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

for what reason do they do this? is it more durable than a one-piece camshaft?

It's almost certainly just because it's cheaper to manufacture. They can take a universal camshaft core and press various sets of cam lobes on it for different applications.

Remember whistlin diesel snapping his GTR camshafts on a rock?
      There's no reason to have the core of your camshaft super hardened, you only need the lobes hardened, better to make the core out of a more ductile material.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>better to make the core out of a more ductile material.
        Using a moron that destroys everything for views isn't the example you want to use.
        Allowing the camshaft to twist over time will not make them better and will fall neatly into that planned obsolescence rut manufacturers love so much.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

So do the lobes actually slip over time or did you just pull that out of your arse?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The camshaft can twist moron

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You believe that the whole camshaft should be made out of the extremely brittle wear resistant material that the lobes are made out of, because otherwise it might twist?
            Brainlet confirmed.

They can still use a high quality steel with high strength moron, they just don't want to make the core out of the super hardened material that the lobes are made out of because that's actually a very brittle and weak material, but the reason it's used for the lobes is because it wears out very slowly. You clearly have very little knowledge on the basic principles of metallurgy.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>starter is between the heads in the valley
    oh deer
    >it was tested over 50 challenging miles
    oh good, I was concerned it wouldn't last the trip to walmart.
    >made by GM
    never mind, they have the same quality as an indentured servant factory in china.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If you knew shit about cars, you'd know GM generally does not frick up their powertrains. Interiors? Lol. But not the important stuff. For example, the mass airflow sensor in my 89 Corvette has cooling fins at protrude up into the airstream. This was determined not necessary by Bosch. But when GM tested it in death valley, they saw that it was. 99.9% of cars and they make will never be driving through Death Valley in the summer, but GM is going to make damn sure their stuff can go anywhere.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>GM generally does not frick up their powertrains
        Ecotec would disagree with you.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>GM generally does not frick up their powertrains
        AFM would disagree with you.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

isnt this just a Cadillac motor?
    i know they say it isnt, but it is right?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I don't think so? As far as I know, all of the Cadillac V8's are LS based.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The black wing isn't it was a clean sheet design

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Ah right, the blackwing. That was the LTA. They stopped LTA production with the end of the first gen CT6-V. Apparently it cost GM $20k to make each LTA which is nuts. Although I'm sure it probably shares some similarities with the Corvette's LT6 it is a different motor.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i dont see why they would develop two completely unrelated DOHC v8s
            i guess they did it before but it makes zero sense in 2024

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

that pic is turbo sweet, mang

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It is. Blackhawk V8.
      Reverse flow so the exhaust is in the valley and the intake is in the banks. This lets them go for super high, super short, intake cam lobes while having longer duration shorter lift exhaust lobes to maximize turbo flow efficiency. Anything less than 2000hp is barely even trying on these big v8 engines. That goes for Ford Coyote motors too.

When you have guys making 8 second passes in a 5500lb truck the shape of a brick you know these engines are not for mere mortals.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wait... You have to remove the exhaust manifold to reach to the injectors?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

maybe. I wonder if there's access through rear wheel well.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>starter under the intake
    Frick you.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Oh no, I have to take off the intake manifold once every 15 years I replace the starter

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Pushrods are better, unironically. The OHV engines they make, LS/LT series are smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the massive DOHC moron engines. Look at a coyote vs an LS/LT. The thing is fricking massive, and all you get is MUH HP/L which is a meaningless performance metric. HP/LB is far more relevant to real performance.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Power by displacement is more important for emissions because the more you breathe, the more you exhale.

No wonder why we have so many fast cars in the road. Nobody is looking at the total carbon cost of a 20-year / 200k mi life including raw materials.

I mean, all in all, all of this shit is bs anyways. Both layouts can suck if poorly designed.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>DOHC heads are bigger than push rod he-ACK!

OH NO NO NO BROS
      HE PERPETUATED THE BOOMER MYTH AGAIN

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

now swap it into a Miata

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ford had a 32 valve DOHC V8 in 1963 that was putting out well over 100hp/L

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Indy_V8_engine

So why the frick did any domestic manufacturer take so long to move beyond pushrods?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

because that was in no way cheap to build. DOHC has been around since 1912 but it took a long time for manufacturing to catch up to make it viable for mass production cars

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The R&D and casts/molds/tooling were already done for the Ford Indy though.
        The engine existed and they produced quite a few for racing.
        The 427 SOHC was the same time-frame and it was just a modified FE block that could have been a $500 option on any fullsize Ford.
        Then they mothballed the tech and stagnated.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They cost $25-30k to produce in 1960s money. That's $256-308k today, just for the engine. Would have been a touch more than that $500 option. GM tried a $4700 engine option (all aluminum 427) on the 1969 Corvette ZL1 and sold a whopping three because that exactly doubled the price over a base Corvette, let alone 5 times that.
          https://www.motortrend.com/news/1966-1968-ford-mustangs-indy-v8/
          https://cushmancompetition.com/ford255.htm

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Or just 20 years of nanny state laws forced a more expensive option.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>and to this day, the world's fastest production car is pushrods, even revving higher than the DOHC eurocucked koenigsegg

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

wtf, forgot my pic.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>we faked our first high speed run only to frick around and cast more doubt
          >then did another run which nobody cares about.
          Uh huh. Meanwhile eggman still makes cool shit while SSC TWATara sounds like an indian STD.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>w-well we don't care if you BTFO our OHC with your pushrods
            shittiest cope i've heard thus far.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>one company's cars allegedly did 286mph once
            >that must mean pushrod engines are better than the 300mph cars Koenigsegg did.

I know you're shitposting but the swedes did 285mph on a public road. The return run averaged 278. Twatera had their first video very clearly FAKED and the company was roasted for it. Find a single thing Koenigsegg has ever done wrong, and no, skipping the use of 70 year old engine tech isn't wrong.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

no koenigsegg did 300mph. or 285mph both directions. the "285 mph" your quoting, was in a single direction, and the SSC did 295 in a single direction, so its faster no matter how you look at it.
            >Find a single thing Koenigsegg has ever done wrong
            doing single directional runs and passing it off as record runs (wasn't verified by race logic unlike SSC in the Aero and their current car). selling kit car tier shitboxes with mustang engines because they couldn't build their own engines. losing to 70 year old engine tech found in the current production car record holder (SSC). you trying to cope over a verified record by europe's own race logic (like saying your bull's dick isn't bigger than yours when your own wife verifies that it is).

i could go on.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>american posting
            >mentions cuckoldry out of nowhere
            lol

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/T45priR.png

wtf, forgot my pic.

ummmm pushrod bros?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

umm... eurocuck sissies?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

PUSHROD BROS WHAT IS THIS STRANGE TECHNOLOGY??? I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

whatever it is, its slower.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

OH NO NO NO
            PUSHROD BROS HOW COULD THIS BE???????????

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Pushrods = Pushgods
    frick camshaft israelites

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OHC vs OHV shitflinging is gay, we should've had mass production Freevalve long ago
    >small heads like ohv
    >higher valve area like in 4 valve ohc
    >infinitely variable lift and timing for optimal valve profile under all rpm and a phat flat torque curve
    >no need for a throttle body
    Must be some big timing belt and chain conspiracy

• 3 weeks ago
      The real p

I heard that engines get hot, could be a reliability thing.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Wat

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I believe he is subtly implying freevalve systems have issues with heat, I'm not a freevalve expert though so I have no idea if that's true.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Right now there is 1 car on the market with freevalve and it's a low volume hypercar so not like we have a good sample size

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *