Why did Holden and Ford leave Australia?

Why did Holden and Ford leave Australia?

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

High labor costs

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Labour costs were too high, but it's not the reason

1) unions were entangled in every level of the organisation, they were like an unofficial board member and could veto strategic decisions
      2) American company, didn't give a shit about Australian market and revenue for cars they couldn't export
      3) our government hates us, and having manufacturing capacity was too much of a risk in case we reiched up. Needed total deindustrialisation. They're working on fricking up our energy now.

We still have various taxes in place designed to protect the industry

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

they wanted to get away from australians

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The true answer no one wants to say

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because we're not allowed to have our own culture or vehicles made for our own conditions we must consume and assimilate into murrica lite
    >shit can aussie utes
    >stop manufacturing
    >import yank pig iron bro trucks instead

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

too bad we can't assimilate the murrica mindset to authority
      >everyone speeding to the point that cops can only beg drivers to drive safe
      >speed cameras get repeatedly destroyed until the city gives up

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yanks destroy speed cameras? How do they do it?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

joggers exploit their n-word pass to the fullest

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Shooting it. If it's on the ground, just smash it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

too bad we can't assimilate the murrica mindset to authority
      >everyone speeding to the point that cops can only beg drivers to drive safe
      >speed cameras get repeatedly destroyed until the city gives up

It really sucks that the 40% of Australia that combines the best parts of America and Britain gets fricked by the 60% that combines the worst parts of both countries.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

gm fricked holden and ford are just too israelitey

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

gm and ford already have the asian market covered with existing models.
    No need for asia-specific products like the gm commodore and the asia-ford falcon.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what a fricking tragedy, i think about this every day and it kills me

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>i think about this every day
      Why?
      Those cars have been irrelevant for years now, our whole hobby is based on fast EVs now.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>our
        not me, gringo. go frick yourself and your battery operated kids vehicle

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>gringo
          Australasians trying to copy language from countries they have never been to
          Really sad.
          Just bee yourself.
          Ni hao!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i've been to mexico it's a shithole. don't ever call me an australasian again

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Sorry. Are you just Asian?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Australia is in asia anyway

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No it isn't you fricking moronic insect

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It is, and its not a special snowflake country either.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Has to make a special snowflake wikipedo page to feel special
            Sad

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You can do better than this Anon, I believe in you!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>i've been to Cancun for a holiday
            >Now i talk like this esse, i am drinking a cerveza right now
            >Sure im from australasia but call me Hernandez from now on esse
            LMAO the crinfe is off the chart in this one

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

EVs are their own hobby. Glad for their sake that it's growing but it's a totally different thing than real cars.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

the unions

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Strong manufacturing can lead to a strong people who can make strong vehicles and munitions to raise a strong army. Too many strong white countries and globohomosexual gets worried.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Due to the corporate model of infinite growth.
    There was still a market for home made cars in Australia, this is evident by the how high the cars inflated in value after production ended. Holden and Ford could've continued selling cars in lower volume at a higher price point, like many English auto marks do, but downsizing was never an option in the corporate mind - "if it's not growing, cut your losses and kill it".

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Australia is next door to china, they can just get the cars made in factories there and its the exact same thing.
      Besides, you don't need special snowflake models, especially when you are buying a cookie-cutter product like a gm or a ford.
      They are all the same anyway.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

commodore and falcon were absolutely not the same as the generic FWD american trash heaps

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>"our" outdated american RWD platform parts bin specials were absolutely not the same as the generic FWD american trash heaps

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Well yes, they stuck with RWD V8s long after shartistan abandoned the idea of making fun sedans anymore. Are you a fricking woman?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>posts moronic comparisons
            >thinks someone else behaves like a woman

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I'm not finding any moronic comparisons here, are you having hallucinations?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The other anon said most of it here:

The gm commodore was just a generic global design, and an outdated one at that.
            The asian-ford falcon was basically the same thing, but ford.
            These were not special snowflake cars. They were like a big mac, cheap shitty and uniform, commuting appliances.

I'd like to add that it's moronic to compare RWD platforms with FWD platforms, there's no point in it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I'm not comparing them, I'm saying Holden and AU Ford as brands were better than their stateside counterparts for having kept making RWDs when US GM and Ford didn't. Would you rather have a Commodore or Malibu, or a Falcon or a Taurus? Pretty easy choice, their quality is irrelevant.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>when US GM and Ford didn't.
            But they did, and you forgot about Chrysler.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

RWD sedans and wagons, moron. I'm not talking about 2 doors like Camaros/Mustangs or Cadillacs which cost way more. I don't like Chrysler products, so more for you. Their Charger/300 never had a manual like Holden/AU Ford did either so who fricking cares.

>were better than their stateside counterparts
            Lol, lmao even

Not an argument, and RWD is objectively better than FWD all things the same.

Also saying
            >A is not the same as B
            is a comparison. You're literally saying they aren't equal.

I'm not directly comparing the cars performance wise, which would be moronic because RWD is such an advantage. Comparing the brands is not.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Oh, still moving the goalposts, I see. Here's your (you).

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

How is it moving the goalposts when we're talking about falcodores which are all cheap 4 doors, moron?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>were better than their stateside counterparts
            Lol, lmao even

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Also saying
            >A is not the same as B
            is a comparison. You're literally saying they aren't equal.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You are a homosexual, anon

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

In the early 1990s the government car fleet went from being departmentally (communistically) managed to becoming a plaything of FBT schemes and private rental and lease deals because idiotic politicians had signed treaties and policies of American capitalism. These cars were not particularly wanted (i.e.
            ) and economics was not great (human failure among other things) but that was the true death knell, volume collapsed, profitability dropped because need for segmentation. Government was a huge customer, second hand government kept overall market share majority Australian. Nineteen eighties 1/3 of the cars on the road had blue (gubbo) number plates. I hardly ever see one these days, army number plates are more common.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It’s more a reflection of the sheer level of privatisation of services rather than government departments choosing to enter fleet lease deals or whatever the frick. Once upon a time we had government departments that looked after maintenance of rail networks, telephony, air navigation, etc. Much of that has been offloaded to private companies and the government departments that remain have little use for vehicles.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

They only use EVs now, as do most private car drivers.
            What this means is that as the old ICEs become unusable, all that will be left on the used market will be EVs too.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Wtf are you talking about? Australia is only about 3% EVs.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The commodores platform was designed in Australia.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The gm commodore was just a generic global design, and an outdated one at that.
          The asian-ford falcon was basically the same thing, but ford.
          These were not special snowflake cars. They were like a big mac, cheap shitty and uniform, commuting appliances.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>The gm commodore was just a generic global design, and an outdated one at that.
            Up to VZ, yes. The Zeta chassis VE/VF/WM/WN were a wholly Australian design that Holden spent a billion Aussie dollarydoos to make, and chassis wise, shared little with anything else outside of engines and switchgear until Chevy got a hold of the design and put the Camaro on the Zeta platform a few years later.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

You know how in America they told coal miners to go to college and learn programming, they sort of did the same with the manufacturing industry. You know Nissan skylines were made in Australia too but a simplified design. Unrelated but we are closing our coal mines and power stations, kind of dumb.

I think to the average customer RWD is bad because burnouts and less safe, think who the average new car customer is.

You certainly could get your cars made in places with cheaper labour, but there is still a market for domestically produced cars if they wish to exploit it.

Australia is next door to china, they can just get the cars made in factories there and its the exact same thing.
          Besides, you don't need special snowflake models, especially when you are buying a cookie-cutter product like a gm or a ford.
          They are all the same anyway.

Cars made in Thailand and China cost $50k to $80k in Australia. Actually they were going to reduce the import taxes on cars in Australia but Subaru Australia complained to the government that it would risk 80 jobs so they cancelled it. They have a very low luxury tax of barely $60k.

High labor costs

I don't think its just that since most of the car is made by robots, I think its red tape and stuff like land taxes and not being allowed to build near a river because a mythical aborignal river serpant will be disturbed. (yep the same ones who laugh at people who go to church will defend these laws.)

https://i.imgur.com/fTS0zYi.jpg

Never forget what ~~*they*~~ took from you.

Businesses used japanese tray utes instead but I don't know why in America they use the Ford F100, utes are better since you don't have to lift things so high to load them up. I think its mostly the image.

Do Australians just wake up in the morning and immediately start seething about Americans? Holy shit. It's non stop with you "people"

Australian complained about Americans since the 80's at least, something about WW2.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>$80k
            >AUD
            Thats not a lot when compared to real money.
            Its not even 1.5BTC

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I don't know why in America they use the Ford
            Chicken tax.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

the thing that easily gotten around and does nothing?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I don't think its just that since most of the car is made by robots
            Robots only do welding and painting most assembly is done by people

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You certainly could get your cars made in places with cheaper labour, but there is still a market for domestically produced cars if they wish to exploit it.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>See less commodores and falcons on the road these days
    >think that we’ll finally be free of P-plater bogan tradies doing hella skidz and going 120 in school zones
    >Couple of years pass and now an increasing amount of these brand of dickhead have retired the Aussie built cars and are driving around in seppo Rams and Chevys
    Clearly it was never about supporting Aussie manufacturing, it was always about being the most dopey c**t possible on the road

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

that we’ll finally be free of P-plater bogan tradies doing hella skidz and going 120 in school zones
      Based tradies and p plate chads, you sound like some whiny little cuck who worships the "rules" and thinks complying with them will make it easier on you/ car enthusiasts, it doesn't. You also sound like the sort of poof to whine about burnouts and revving at a car meet

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Bogans in commos are nothing compared to sharing roads with indians and chinese.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why didn't FWD not take over like it did everywhere else? Was it because the Commodore and Falcon had truck variants?

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Never forget what ~~*they*~~ took from you.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

RIP Pontiac

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

We dont even do our own mining anymore mate. We give contract directly to india and china and they come in and just pilfer everything themselves and send it back home. Then keep all the profit as well.
    It's insane.

Everything. EVERYTHING is outsourced to china and india

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Aus population is too small to sustain it on domestic sales alone. They bet a gorillion dollars on rwd cars but the world wanted fwd crossover shitboxes.

Now we're full of chink EV crossovers. We're even subsidising them because muh green targets while completely ignoring our powergrid being twice as dirty as the rest of the western world. People are so fricking stupid i hate everyone.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Aus population is too small to sustain it on domestic sales alone.
      People say this but why did it survive for so long then?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>why did it survive for so long then?
        sucking on the government teet

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do Australians just wake up in the morning and immediately start seething about Americans? Holy shit. It's non stop with you "people"

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Even Australians buy Chinese. Who cares about Holden/Ford?

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Why did Holden and Ford leave Australia?
    Just flat not enough of a customer base to make production there worthwhile in the modern era. The wonder actually is why it took them so long to finally stop when the writing had been on the wall for decades by that time.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

A combination of Aussies buying Chinese vehicles decreasing sales of cars made in Australia to the point where the high labor costs could no longer be offset by the meager profits from selling what cars could be sold.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Australians are subhuman Black folk

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Mercedes leaves
    "This is fine"
    >VW leaves
    "This is fine"
    >BL leaves
    "This is fine"
    >Nissan leaves
    "This is fine"
    >Mitsubishi leaves
    "This is fine"
    >Toyota leaves
    "This is fine"
    >Ford, GM leave
    "WTF how could the Americans do this to us??? Grrr evil fricking capitalist imperialist ameriKKKan neonazi scum fricking hate them burgermutt poor Americansamericansamericansamericansamericans"

Tell me, why are we still allied with some desert backwater who has literally never once shown an ounce of gratitude for us serving as their army and navy?

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The truth is a mixture of absurdly high labour costs due to unions ($80+ an hour), and the government not subsidising the automakers to the extent that litteraly every other western country does.
    (Aus was 5%, the US is 15%, Germany is 25% of the cost of the car is subsidised)

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because GM and ford intentionally collapsed the companies because Australian worked demanded fair wages and they thought they would make more money importing vehicles into Australia.
    Both Ford and Holdens were all sold out 6 months to a full year in advance if you bought one new for the last 15 years of production.
    Ford and GM also got massive payouts from the Australian government to stop them going broke and both companies used the opportunity to consolidate debt from other stuff and blame it on Ford/Holden in Australia, GM for an example blamed the 2 billion it had to pay out for SAAB on Holden and the boss at Holden was promoted by GM for being able to hide this when he sank the company.
    Name one other car company in history where the boss was promoted for sinking the company kek

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This is how insidious the American israelite was, they actually thought Australians would buy a front wheel drive 4cyl Opel if they called it a Commodore because every other commodore for more than 10 years prior sold out 6 months in advance....
      As if Australians are as dumb as Americans...
      The front wheel drive commonprostitute is probably the rarest of them all because no one bought one, iirc it is an Opel Insignia.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>As if Australians are as dumb as Americans...
        Now we just buy RAMs for double their actual price and don't even fricking fit properly on our roads. Real geniuses we are

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The only time i ever see them or big f trucks they are towing a big frick off boat or one of those goose neck horse floats.
          Otherwise people are driving hilux, ranger, d max, amarok or a triton.... what roads are you driving on where people are driving septic barges daily?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>what roads are you driving on where people are driving septic barges daily?
            NTA but here in gayalaide I see 5 or 6 every day, towing nothing.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The only one i ever see regularly is one of my work sites contractors why has a kitted out chevy barge with a crane and shit on the back of it.
            it's like a bigger version of pic which is a ford ranger.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>what roads are you driving on where people are driving septic barges daily
            every fricking road in Brisbane/GC and surrounding areas, taking up 2-3 spots in a carpark and two fricking lanes on the roads

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So its a qld thing?
            That entire state is more incest than Tasmania so it makes sense if you think about it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

there's more and more in syd. have to admit, the rams sound rather nice

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I drive a VY SS with a 1 metric tonne bed capacity because i put sedan springs in it.
            i honestly can't see why anyone needs more than that especially when i smoke everyone at the traffic lights while having more bed capacity than a gutlux.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

probaby want a cushy ride that floats along. sedans and wagons used to did that, but muh safety and emissions. and everyone apparently needs their daily grocery getter to have sporty suspension and sporty handling and sporty appearance so they can set a new personal best heading down to the local shops

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>1 metric tonne bed capacity
            Is Aussie metric tonne like 50% of an international metric ton?
            >car platform
            >5 lugs
            >unibody
            vs (pickup trucks everywhere else in the world)
            >6 to 8 lugs
            >frame
            >HD suspension
            >separate bed

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The stock payload capacity for a Holden Ute is 750kg, which is more than some configurations of yank tanks.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

How much is Australian kg in regular international kilograms then? I mean you can't break the laws of physics, it's either that or you c**ts measure "payload capacity" very differently from the rest of the world.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Either we we're really good at making a ute or burgers are really shit at it

A separate bed counts as a "light commercial vehical" here, making it more expensive to register/insure.

In Victoria load carrying vehicles are cheaper to register.
            My VY Sedan costs $750 per year and my dad's VE SSV ute costs $610 per year.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

What part of Victoria are you getting $750 and $610 rego?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

If you live rurally you pay less
            https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/vehicle-registration-fees

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

A separate bed counts as a "light commercial vehical" here, making it more expensive to register/insure.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The post you replied to is only about the physical ability of the vehicle to not break while transporting the payload, it has nothing to do with taxes/fees. Having the bed disconnected from the cab and mounted only to the frame means there's less stress for the cab.

Either we we're really good at making a ute or burgers are really shit at it
            [...]
            In Victoria load carrying vehicles are cheaper to register.
            My VY Sedan costs $750 per year and my dad's VE SSV ute costs $610 per year.

I mentioned the entire world several times, but apparently burgers live rent free in your head, it's the only thing you can think of.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>apparently burgers live rent free in your head
            We're talking about tank tanks ITT calm your farm.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Check the posts about the bed cargo capacity above and point me to where these "tank tanks" are mentioned.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I've only been talking about American utes, so have most people ITT. Not my problem you got confused.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Sorry, didn't knew you're from the native population.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Sorry, didn't know you were a dirty ESL.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I know, but i meant in Australia, one of the reasons the Holden ute outsold the Ford Ute by so much is the Unibody gets taxed less. It might only be toll roads or something.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I see them all the in Melbourne, especially the outer east. My work is has only 15 employees, and there's a f150, f250 and a ram1500.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nup they're everywhere. I'm in WA and in my neighbourhood alone there are three Ram 1500s and a Silverado 2500. None of them do even the slightest bit of load-lugging or off-roading

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

because the large RWD non-premium sedan is now globally dead

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

GM wanted out.
    They took the $2b grant from the government and spent it all asap, paying janitors around $70p/h and sending the $170m left back to America.
    Scammed the frick out of the taxpayers.

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I wonder sometimes that if ford merged Mondeo falcon and Taurus to just falcon would have kept their Australian operations

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

And vice versa with a commodore based rwd Impala imported from aus

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Frick Australia frick Australia

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Here is a good essay on it.

https://www.asianometry.com/p/what-happened-to-australias-auto

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Bob and Mark where on Smoko all the time and when they did come back they chucked shit together haphazardly like our builders and the cars were fricking shit and not worth the $50 an hour Bob & Mark expected.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>not Bruce and Bazza
      ngmi foreign spies

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They wimped out about here.
    After the deluge of Sierras it was all over.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the fact that gibson motorsport rebuilt this entire GT-R almost from scratch using their own custom fabricated components instead of using NISMO components tells me that the problem with australia's car industry isn't that high quality is impossible to achieve, but rather that the lack of competitiveness across the labour market and the private monopolisation of industry in tandem with a government that refuses to look ahead has led us into the same trap that all former manufacturing economies that have transitioned into service economies are facing - there are no capable leaders anywhere anymore

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

and pic related is the sort of car that will never be possible to build in australia until the antiquated fossils in the federal government disappear

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Chinese manufactured cars are 16% of new car sales in Australia for 2023. So Aussies seem to appreciate low-priced labor accounting for low-priced cars. The car sales are dampened by the Taiwan problem, so one can only imagine how much larger percentage it would be if there was no international problems.

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>expensive production
    >too moronic to understand people didn't want big sedans anymore and rather than making Australian designed and built compact cars they import rebadged absolute shitheaps, especially Holden

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *